Old 04-07-2020, 01:53 AM

NYC mayor is basically a Democratic version of Trump

https://gothamist.com/news/missteps-...virus-response

Just a horrible response.
Arrogant woke racist
Old 04-07-2020, 07:10 AM

sorry, political jab -forgot the rules

Last edited by asahi; 04-07-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 AM

From what I've read, de Blasio's handling has been pretty bad, but this looks like just bad management -- nothing to do with being "woke" or whatever. Gavin Newsome is just as liberal, but has been a much better manager.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
From what I've read, de Blasio's handling has been pretty bad, but this looks like just bad management -- nothing to do with being "woke" or whatever. Gavin Newsome is just as liberal, but has been a much better manager.
Gavin Newsome has done an objectively better job than Cuomo. I don't see why Cuomo is being held up as some shining beacon of competence.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Arrogant woke racist
The first statement I fully agree with. The Mayor has been terrible.
The second part, doesn't seem to belong here. Maybe you could expand and explain?

Thankfully NY has a Governor who is doing an excellent job in a horrible difficult time. Because NYC is not being led well by their idiot Mayor and of course by the mostly counterproductive President. Cuomo and the other area Governors have all stepped up very well.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
https://gothamist.com/news/missteps-...virus-response

Arrogant woke racist
I read your whole link and have no idea what you mean by "arrogant woke racist". His response was pretty bad, though - no where near as bad as trump. I mean -- you're criticizing the mayor for being too slow to institute a lockdown? In case you havent noticed we still don't have a national lockdown.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
{...} The second part, doesn't seem to belong here. Maybe you could expand and explain? {...}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
I read your whole link and have no idea what you mean by "arrogant woke racist". {...}
What? The middle of a pandemic isn't the perfect time to air old grievances?

CMC fnord!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:21 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Moving to Politics and Elections (from Quarantine Zone).
Old 04-07-2020, 08:51 AM

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/609379/

They're talking it to easy on him
Old 04-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Please, summarize, just posting links is not wonderful.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 AM

AFAICT, de Blasio is an unpopular mayor, both in the city and outside it, and no one outside his own office is really defending him.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

You're citing an article titled "The Mayor Who Canít Rise to the Occasion" as evidence the media is going too easy on him?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Gavin Newsome is as liberal but he is not as much of a "woke" SJW as DeBlasio

He is not calling for the integration of public schools in California the way DeBlasio is.
He is not punishing model minorities for fucking up his arguments about racism and white supremacy.
He is administration is not implying that model minorities are selfish for being successful.

Gavin Newsome does not play the race card anywhere near as much as DeBlasio does.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Gavin Newsome has done an objectively better job than Cuomo. I don't see why Cuomo is being held up as some shining beacon of competence.
Because Newsome doesn't have to deal with an incompetent mayor in Los Angeles or San Francisco. Cuomo has had to overrule DeBlasio several times.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I read your whole link and have no idea what you mean by "arrogant woke racist". His response was pretty bad, though - no where near as bad as trump. I mean -- you're criticizing the mayor for being too slow to institute a lockdown? In case you havent noticed we still don't have a national lockdown.
Yep, I think Trump is a clusterfuck too. That doesn't mean he has a monopoly on stupid.

If you want to have a Trump hating contest, I'm game. I bet it ends in a tie.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:09 AM

I'm a hardcore Dem but Deblasio just strikes me as a grade-A jackass.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
He is not calling for the integration of public schools in California the way DeBlasio is.
He is not punishing model minorities for fucking up his arguments about racism and white supremacy.
He is administration is not implying that model minorities are selfish for being successful.
None of this has anything to do with his response to the virus. It's a good thing this thread was moved to Elections, but maybe the Pit would be better.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Lord knows I have plenty of problems with Cuomo. But I'll give him credit that he seems aware of the size of the problem and is doing what he can to address it.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Gavin Newsome does not play the race card anywhere near as much as DeBlasio does.
Sounds like you're angry with DeBlasio because he isn't in agreement with your particular brand of racism.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The first statement I fully agree with. The Mayor has been terrible.
The second part, doesn't seem to belong here. Maybe you could expand and explain?

Thankfully NY has a Governor who is doing an excellent job in a horrible difficult time. Because NYC is not being led well by their idiot Mayor and of course by the mostly counterproductive President. Cuomo and the other area Governors have all stepped up very well.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
What? The middle of a pandemic isn't the perfect time to air old grievances?

CMC fnord!
Yes the second part of that was an unnecessary jab at a mayor whose politics I think represent the worst parts of the Democratic party. And I think his singular focus on seeing everything through the lens of race and social justice makes him and people like him unsuitable to lead.

He failed to close schools until fairly late because he was concerned about the impact it wold have on kids that needed school lunch and parents that needed child care. He thought these issues impacted disproportionately impacted minority communities.

He continued to minimize the threat of coronavirus and now NYC is the epicenter of coronavirus in America.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Sounds like you're angry with DeBlasio because he isn't in agreement with your particular brand of racism.
What is my particular brand of racism?
Old 04-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Nah, not the Democratic Trump, but more the example of how you cannot forget that you still have to run a city.

Quote:
He failed to close schools until fairly late because he was concerned about the impact it wold have on kids that needed school lunch and parents that needed child care. He thought these issues impacted disproportionately impacted minority communities.
Which is a real thing. His problem is not that he saw the closure as disproportionately harmful to disadvantaged populations, it was he had no answers to that challenge other than keeping the schools open.

NYC almost perforce would have been a focus of the outbreak, by the sheer human density and the fact it's a world crossroads like no other. Its leaders should have been prepared. But then again so should have those everywhere.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 04-07-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:55 PM

The schools could have (and are now, I believe) found ways to feed needy kids without putting all of them and their families at the high risk that a school environment forces. De Blasio really screwed up on that and deserves plenty of criticism, from what I've read.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The schools could have (and are now, I believe) found ways to feed needy kids without putting all of them and their families at the high risk that a school environment forces. De Blasio really screwed up on that and deserves plenty of criticism, from what I've read.
Correct
Old 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM

That doesn't sound all that easy to do, actually. And I don't remember any health organization calling for closure of schools that didn't have active cases, at least in early March.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:50 PM

There were a lot of issues and unknowns at the time. A couple of his voiced concerns were:
What do we do with all of these kids whose parents are at work? Do we leave them unsupervised? This was before Cuomo shut everything down.
How do we feed them? There are like a million kids in NYC public schools. I think about 1/2 receive lunch and other food. It's not that simple to feed them all without a plan.
Was he late? I think so, but I don't think his reasons not to didn't have merit. I just wish these guys could plan and collaborate better.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:10 PM

Imho, as long as most businesses were running, the schools shouldn't have been closed. Calling for school closures wasn't crazy but it was reflexive and politically more palatable than shutting down shopping malls. Early March reports from WHO in South Korea suggested children had mild symptoms and weren't very contagious.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:47 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

DeBlasio isnít a Democratic version of Trump. Heís his own unique form of idiot.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I don't remember any health organization calling for closure of schools that didn't have active cases, at least in early March.
Problem is, with an asymptomatic virus like Covid-19, by the time you have an active-symptom case, it's far, far too late. That one student or teacher may have infected dozens or hundreds of others already.

De Blasio almost seems to have imagined that the virus cares about things like skin color, as if the fact that minority kids needed school and lunches would make the virus compassionately shy away from infecting them.

Last edited by Velocity; 04-07-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
DeBlasio isnít a Democratic version of Trump. Heís his own unique form of idiot.
Good way to phrase it.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
De Blasio almost seems to have imagined that the virus cares about things like skin color, as if the fact that minority kids needed school and lunches would make the virus compassionately shy away from infecting them.
"Wow" is all I got to say about that.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So integrated public schools are a bad thing?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM

I for one was glad when DiBlasio's presidential campaign rapidly imploded.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
That was down right funny. What a self-deluded idiot. Did he think he had a chance?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Nah, not the Democratic Trump, but more the example of how you cannot forget that you still have to run a city.

Which is a real thing. His problem is not that he saw the closure as disproportionately harmful to disadvantaged populations, it was he had no answers to that challenge other than keeping the schools open.

NYC almost perforce would have been a focus of the outbreak, by the sheer human density and the fact it's a world crossroads like no other. Its leaders should have been prepared. But then again so should have those everywhere.
Sorta like how Trump forgot to run a country due to his focus on the stock market. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if the stock market had defied gravity for another week and hadn't crashed on the 12th. I doubt Trump would have declared a national emergency on the 13th. Where would we be now?

Dozens of other jurisdictions around the country had already addressed how to feed kids during the school closure. He didn't have to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
So integrated public schools are a bad thing?
It depends on how you achieve it.

If you achieve it by forcing 6 year old to attend school across town then yes, it's a bad thing.

If you achieve it by creating social mobility so that neighborhoods become more integrated organically, then that is a great thing.

If you achieve it in magnet schools by tilting the playing field so that more black kids get in and fewer asian kids get in, then that is a bad thing.

If you achieve it by improving the K-8 experience so that black kids get a better education and produce more kids qualified for those magnet schools, then its a good thing.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
He was the only one on stage I would not have voted for. I hate Harris intensely but i would have voted for her, she wouldn't have flushed the country down the toilet in her first 100 days.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
OK, I may have been wrong in my initial assessment. But there are similarities.

Detachment from reality;
Pandering to the racist instincts in his constituency;
Hiring really bad underlings;
Corruption;
Got elected through a combination of luck and the implosion of better candidates
Old 04-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Hey, just so everyone knows, the OP has very strong views on how Asian-Americans are treated by the New York City school system.

Clearly this thread is some hybrid of grinding that particular axe again and pretending it has something to do with pandemics. It makes no sense to me, either.

Last edited by Ravenman; 04-07-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Hey, just so everyone knows, the OP has very strong views on how Asian-Americans are treated by the New York City school system.

Clearly this thread is some hybrid of grinding that particular axe again and pretending it has something to do with pandemics. It makes no sense to me, either.
This is ad hominem. The OP merely linked to an article that explains, in considerable detail, why de Blasio fumbled the NYC virus response.

That article would have been just as valid had any other Doper posted it. The identity of the Doper doing the posting has nothing to do with the competence or incompetence of de Blasio.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
This is ad hominem. The OP merely linked to an article that explains, in considerable detail, why de Blasio fumbled the NYC virus response.
Yes and posted this mere minutes ago:
Quote:
It depends on how you achieve it.

If you achieve it by forcing 6 year old to attend school across town then yes, it's a bad thing.

If you achieve it by creating social mobility so that neighborhoods become more integrated organically, then that is a great thing.

If you achieve it in magnet schools by tilting the playing field so that more black kids get in and fewer asian kids get in, then that is a bad thing.

If you achieve it by improving the K-8 experience so that black kids get a better education and produce more kids qualified for those magnet schools, then its a good thing.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-07-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:48 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Bloomberg had a pandemic plan in 2006. If it had been implemented things might have looked a lot different. Although it’s not diBlasio’s fault completely (that’s shared by Bloomberg’s administration and even more by the city council budget cuts) but he put the final nail in the coffin by selling off the surplus ventilators and not updating the stock.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pro...tion-block/amp

Last edited by Loach; 04-07-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Yes and posted this mere minutes ago:
In response to

"Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
So integrated public schools are a bad thing?"
Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:

That article would have been just as valid had any other Doper posted it. The identity of the Doper doing the posting has nothing to do with the competence or incompetence of de Blasio.
To be fair, I said he was incompetent and bad for other reasons as well including his woke racism.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Do you think they are strong views or correct views?

Quote:
His racism is part of what makes him like Trump.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's 'Newsom'.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
racist
[not in citation given]
Old 04-07-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
In response to

"Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
So integrated public schools are a bad thing?"
Lol, yeah which was in response to:
Quote:

Which you of course had to say when someone challenged you on how liberal DeBlasio is.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-07-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Itís clear to me that other posters are struggling to make sense of this thread, when the OP posts links to articles about De Blasioís poor response to this crisis and then throws a few jabs about racism in there. Others have wondered what De Blasio, the pandemic, and racism are doing in a single thread.

Note that I was not actually saying whether the OP is right or wrong on anything, so your accusation of an ad hominem is nothing more than a poisoning of the well. So there.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you think they are strong views or correct views?
Whether you are right or wrong is aside from the point - nobody knows what the fuck you are talking about with you mashing up articles about COVID and accusations of people being ďwoke.Ē I was trying to explain that this thread is more of an airing of grievances than those things actually having a coherent link between the two.

Quote:
His racism is part of what makes him like Trump.
Youíre going to have to dig up some quotes of De Blasio saying neo-Confederates are good people and so on for me to take that seriously. Trump is among the most prominent racists in the country. Posting links to COVID response doesnít help.