Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Bernie Withdraws

He sys he is done. He announced he is suspending his campaign. He’ll talk at about 0845 Pacific.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM

Smart move
Old 04-08-2020, 10:30 AM

FINALLY!!

Very smart move.

He needs to tell his Bros to get behind Biden and not sit home and pout on election day. The Pubbies are going to do enough to make sure Dem votes don't get counted. They don't need help from disgruntled Bernie supporters.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-08-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:32 AM

Yes, very smart move. I sense Joe helped to work a little magic with him.

About time. Now he can go back to being an independent. Hope like hell it's the last time he runs.

May I be the first to say, "Trump and Biden, how did we end up with those two?"
Do you know a child in need?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
About time. Now he can go back to being an independent. Hope like hell it's the last time he runs.
Nuts to that, Bernie 2024!

Good luck guys. Unite to defeat that incompetent democidaire in the White House.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post

Good luck guys. Unite to defeat that incompetent democidaire in the White House.
Let's hope. (I belong to no organized political party...)

Wondering what the dems can do at what points betw now and Nov... What is required to persuade/motivate what voters?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
He needs to tell his Bros to get behind Biden and not sit home and pout on election day. The Pubbies are going to do enough to make sure Dem votes don't get counted. They don't need help from disgruntled Bernie supporters.
Your edit crossed my post. Yes he does. He’ll talk in about 2-3 minutes. We’ll see what he says. The Dems need a united front to unseat the orange 🍊 one.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar
I think several people said that exact same thing just prior to Super Tuesday, over a month ago.

Last edited by Omar Little; 04-08-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Has he started his talk yet? News radio here in San Francisco doesn’t have him on yet, and I expect them to. It is already 0849 Pacific. Maybe he’s running late.

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-08-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Yep. He's live.

Last edited by orcenio; 04-08-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Yep. He's live.
Thanks.

And the market is already responding. SFBA news radio reports the Dow has jumped up 560 points.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:56 AM

The best part of this is that my Reddit feed will now be free from non-stop Bernie shit.

Thank. Fucking. God.

Last edited by tingbudong; 04-08-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Thanks.

And the market is already responding. SFBA news radio reports the Dow has jumped up 560 points.
Thats because Bernie would've fought income inequality, now they're celebrating that plutocracy will not be challenged. Thats not a good thing.

Its disappointing but I understand why Bernie dropped out. I hope we all move to support Biden, because Biden on the issues is a pretty good candidate and will be vastly superior to Trump.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Sanders supporters. I know Biden isn't your first, or even second choice. Wasn't mine either. Nevertheless. Please, please, please, drop the animosity and get behind Biden. Defeating Trump is the priority. And second priority. And third through tenth. The only other thing that matters is winning back the Senate. With a Democratic President and a Democratic Congress you'll get huge amounts of what you wanted, probably as much as you would if Sanders somehow had won.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Regression toward the mean

That this is what we’ve come to says a lot more about the culture of the country as a whole and the divisions within it than it does about the relative competencies of the candidates. Elizabeth Warren was smart, articulate, educated, experienced, personable, and met questions and challenges to how she’d govern with detailed plans and policy statements. Somehow, this made her “unelectable”. Go figure.

Stranger
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM

330 million people and we get a very mentally ill guy vs. a career politician who has not really done anything worthwhile despite being in DC for over 40 years.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 04-08-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 AM

This lets Obama get off the sidelines.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Now we find out if Bernie means it when he says he'll support Biden. Will he support him by not tearing him down or will he support him actively out on the trail stirring up his group of voters.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:14 AM

This is the first time I can vote Green and will consider that. And spare me "you are only helping Trump" by voting green.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Somehow, this made her “unelectable”.
That's not what made her "unelectable."
Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
This is the first time I can vote Green and will consider that. And spare me "you are only helping Trump" by voting green.
Do you live in a swing state? If so, you are. Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Regression toward the mean

That this is what we’ve come to says a lot more about the culture of the country as a whole and the divisions within it than it does about the relative competencies of the candidates. Elizabeth Warren was smart, articulate, educated, experienced, personable, and met questions and challenges to how she’d govern with detailed plans and policy statements. Somehow, this made her “unelectable”. Go figure.

Stranger
Without going to the link, at first glance I thought it said regression toward the men. Irony, there.

Quote:
It is your vote to waste if you wish, but if you live in a competitive state I urge you to reconsider and vote for Joe. The choice is between fascism and freedom. Voting for a candidate you may not be in love with vs one who wants to destroy the nation- that's the simple choice.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
The only other thing that matters is winning back the Senate. .
Not entirely. Democrats need to win state governorships and state legislatures so they can block state gerrymandering attempts in 2020.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-08-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Is anyone surprised I’m ecstatic and gloating? Both Corbyn and Bernie gone in the same week, two of the most vile shitstains in politics since 2015 are finally gone.

Message delivered: we don’t want your fucking revolution!!!

Last edited by dalej42; 04-08-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
It is your vote to waste if you wish, but if you live in a competitive state I urge you to reconsider and vote for Joe. The choice is between fascism and freedom. Voting for a candidate you may not be in love with vs one who wants to destroy the nation- that's the simple choice.
No kidding. Voters need to accept that those who think like Bijou Drains’ post #21 above would essentially, probability-wise, be a vote for the likely, projected winner, who I believe today is Trump.

Instead, I usually approach most elections with the mindset of, “Given the information available, who is most likely to win, and do I want that person to win, or would I rather have the 2nd- or 3rd- most likely person to win?” And then I vote accordingly. As is usual, there are exceptions to most rules.

There are only a very few rules without exception. One such rule is, people eventually die.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
See, there's this thing called voting.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Is anyone surprised I’m ecstatic and gloating? Both Corbyn and Bernie gone in the same week, two of the most vile shitstains in politics since 2015 are finally gone.

Message delivered: we don’t want your fucking revolution!!!
Corbyn?

Jeremy Corbyn, British Parliament. Had to look it up.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
330 million people and we get a very mentally ill guy vs. a career politician who has not really done anything worthwhile despite being in DC for over 40 years.
(Emphasis Mine) You shouldn't talk about Bernie Sanders that way after he dropped out of the race.

Last edited by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear; 04-08-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Sanders supporters. I know Biden isn't your first, or even second choice. Wasn't mine either. Nevertheless. Please, please, please, drop the animosity and get behind Biden.
I sincerely encourage you to direct similar requests to Bidens' supporters, asking them to be magnanimous and understanding in victory. The nonstop contempt that SOME Biden supporters show toward leftists is not good for the party. (#notallcentrists). And the more that Biden supporters recognize that leftists are sincere and thoughtful (#notallleftists, got it), the easier it'll be to, and the more leftists will, come in from the cold.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Now we find out if Bernie means it when he says he'll support Biden. Will he support him by not tearing him down or will he support him actively out on the trail stirring up his group of voters.
I think he will support him. Otherwise he may as well have stayed in the race.

Now, whether all the Bernie Bros who hung on every word as if they were ordained by a loving God who sends birds to perch on his podiums actually listen to the most important thing he asks of them is anyone's guess.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I don't know. VAWA and the first and only federal assault weapons ban was a pretty big deal but I guess it's not as important as naming post offices in thirty years in DC as Sanders did.

Last edited by Boycott; 04-08-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
This strikes me as bizarre because Biden winning the nomination has been a foregone conclusion for at least the last month to anyone even vaguely paying attention.
Quote:
Nah. You're already aware that you're helping Trump and just don't give a shit. Either you care or you don't; I'm not going to change your mind.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
I think he will support him. Otherwise he may as well have stayed in the race.

Now, whether all the Bernie Bros who hung on every word as if they were ordained by a loving God who sends birds to perch on his podiums actually listen to the most important thing he asks of them is anyone's guess.
The more that Democrats say nonsense like this, the fewer leftists will want to join the Democrats. As someone who desperately wants leftists to support Biden, I urge you to get it out of your system, and then knock it the fuck off.

Quote:
Are you under the impression that by voting for the Green candidate you will somehow influence policy even if your candidate doesn’t win? Because if not, yes, you are wasting a vote in terms of making the biggest impact on public health and national security in getting rid of Trump. And if yes, remind me when the last time you heard the name “Jill Stein” in any public policy discussion or political news since 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
That's not what made her "unelectable."
Having lady-bits and a professorial manner probably didn’t help among the demographic who are anxious about the size of both their genitals and their brains, but being squeezed by the far left for not being “Bernie”-enough and by the media and moderates for being a Commie-Pinko-Radical who is going to bankrupt the nation by suggesting that we should impose regulation and make the most extremely wealthy pay a reasonable share back into the economy that has made them such a profit was apparently too narrow of a band for appeal to Democratic voters.

She got a brief heyday when her poll numbers suddenly jumped up, and immediately the media went on a collective “What’s so great about Liz?” rant with a side of “She’s just Hillary Redux, and see how well that worked out”, as if Clinton and Warren weren’t at pretty much opposite ends of the banking and exploitative business regulation spectrum. Warren seemed to be a lot of people’s second pick, but very few people’s first, and a big portion of that seemed to be the scare factor of “electability”, which is like not playing a game because there is a chance you might not win.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 04-08-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote:
Sorry, this is a message board about combating ignorance, not placating it.

When fascism came to Washington in 2016, I did everything I could to stop it.
I plan on doing everything I can to stop it in 2020 as well.

If you don't do everything you can to stop it, that helps it. Your wish to remain blissfully ignorant of this doesn't change that.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Why does it matter what he tells the "Bernie Bros"? They won't listen to him, any more than they've ever listened to him. They'll do whatever their boss Putin tells them.

But yes, of course he'll tell his actual supporters to vote for the Democratic nominee, just like he did last time.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

So much for not telling me I'm helping Trump.

BTW I was never for Sanders, I was for Yang.

I guess there is no point in me reading anymore of this thread, have fun with it.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 04-08-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Bijou, you're here with me in North Carolina, right? We've been a swing state before, and we have the chance to be one again.

Please look at this trolley hurtling toward destruction, and help me push it away from the precipice. You know as well as I do that the Green path--which is of course the best path--ain't the path this train is going down. It's either going on the Biden track or the Trump track. And one of those is way better than the other.

I wish it could go on the Sanders track or the Green track, but it won't. And I need your help pushing it on the least destructive track it might go onto, which is the Biden track.

All hands needed here, Bijou. Put a clothespin on your nose and help me push.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So much for not telling me I'm helping Trump.
Fighting Ignorance since 1973

There's a reason why the GOP tries so hard to disenfranchise voters. Voting Green is effectively not voting at all.

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-08-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:41 AM

I'm sad it won't be Bernie, and even sadder it's Biden over most of the alternatives. But the primary is over now -- onto the general. Must beat Trump.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-08-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
No kidding. Voters need to accept that those who think like Bijou Drains’ post #21 above would essentially, probability-wise, be a vote for the likely, projected winner, who I believe today is Trump.
You believe wrong.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbudong View Post
The best part of this is that my Reddit feed will now be free from non-stop Bernie shit.

Thank. Fucking. God.
Not so sure, I don't remember the Bernie talk dying down much after the 2016 elections. There are 3 or 4 subreddits dedicated to him that I regularly see pop up.
Charter Member

As for helping Trump, consider the math:

One thousand voters. 499 support Trump, 498 support Biden, 3 support Greens most but think Biden is marginally better than Trump.

If everyone votes for their favorite candidate, Trump wins.
If everyone votes for their favorite candidate that has more than 400 votes, Biden wins.

The closer the contest, the more important it is that Greens support the better of the candidates who stands a chance. If they don't, they're taking the action that helps Trump.

This ain't opinion. This is the math of first-past-the-post voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The more that Democrats say nonsense like this, the fewer leftists will want to join the Democrats. As someone who desperately wants leftists to support Biden, I urge you to get it out of your system, and then knock it the fuck off.
Excuse me but what did I say that was inflammatory? Please explain.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Would you rather have a career plumber?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Why does it matter what he tells the "Bernie Bros"? They won't listen to him, any more than they've ever listened to him. They'll do whatever their boss Putin tells them.

But yes, of course he'll tell his actual supporters to vote for the Democratic nominee, just like he did last time.
This time he's doing it the second week in April instead of waiting until the second week of July. That's three more months without bullshit that I refuse to relive right now but is all on the record. And three more months that Biden can spend without dealing with Weekend at Bernie's.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Those projections include Bernie. They’re not without him. Let’s see the revised projections.