Old 04-09-2020, 12:29 PM

My wife wept a little, but agrees it was necessary. She is definitely not a Bernie Bro (or Sis) but really loves most of his policies. But we will both enthusiastically support Joe.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
That is what's happening, Sanders isn't going to seek delegates/votes anymore.
This is incorrect. Bernie says he is still seeking delegates and he wants people to vote for him in the upcoming primaries. He hasn't really dropped out, he's still up to the same old shenanigans so he can make another run in 2024.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocracy View Post
This is incorrect. Bernie says he is still seeking delegates and he wants people to vote for him in the upcoming primaries. He hasn't really dropped out, he's still up to the same old shenanigans so he can make another run in 2024.
As long as he shuts up about Biden and confines his attacks to Trump, it doesn't really matter. He wants a shot at influencing the Democratic platform, which he seems to think worthwhile, so let him have it.

And I'm gonna predict right here that he doesn't run in 2024, even if Trump is reelected.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
Talking about tax credits for health care is bad strategy.
You're all over the place here. Are you asking what I like about his campaign strategy now? I thought you were asking about what policies I like.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I hadn't seen he actually said that. I mean, he was going to remain on the ballots regardless so announcing it is definitely shenanigans.

But it is a little different from 2016. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too this time. And there's no way he's running in 2024.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
My wife wept a little, but agrees it was necessary. She is definitely not a Bernie Bro (or Sis) but really loves most of his policies. But we will both enthusiastically support Joe.
Why would an adult weep over a political candidate?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Why do hyoo-mons sometimes have emotional feelings about politics?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:38 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
They have feelings?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I mean, it turns out that politics isn't the same thing as league sports for some people. Sure, there are political hobbyists who follow politics the way someone else might follow the Miami Dolphins.

For other folks, elections have real-world consequences, though; and knowing that a candidate has lost can signify that life's gonna get worse for you and/or the people you love.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
If Trump wins, he'll probably get to replace RBG and maybe Breyer on SCOTUS. Biden would nominate decent judges, rather than corporate-friendly fanatics and shills.
Bitter Bernie supporters should think mostly about the quoted point. If Donald Trump gets to replace RBG, then the Supreme Court will be happily impeding our progressive agenda for the next two decades.

The good news is that recent polling suggests that Sanders supporters are less than half as likely to vote for Trump in November than they actually did in 2016. That's reassuring but I think every vote is going to count again this year. Maybe a Beto pick for VP? Somebody to connect with the younger voters who see the Dem establishment as reasonable and nice but very very OLD.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Bitter Bernie supporters should think mostly about the quoted point. If Donald Trump gets to replace RBG, then the Supreme Court will be happily impeding our progressive agenda for the next two decades.

The good news is that recent polling suggests that Sanders supporters are less than half as likely to vote for Trump in November than they actually did in 2016. That's reassuring but I think every vote is going to count again this year. Maybe a Beto pick for VP? Somebody to connect with the younger voters who see the Dem establishment as reasonable and nice but very very OLD.
Is Beto transitioning? Biden's on record as saying he will pick a woman VP. Money is on Kamilla or Amy - though "that woman" from Michigan is getting some traction, as is Masto as a Latina.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:12 PM

It is believable, BTW, that Amy was promised a VP shot if she dropped out when she did - coming into the Minnesota primaries. Its also believable that Warren was told that she'd get all the backing possible for Senate Majority leader if she stepped down and Dems took the Senate.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:19 PM

Warren may move up a slot or two, but there's no way a two term senator is being made the party leadership. Not remotely believable.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-09-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Ask all the black people who cried when Lincoln was shot.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Good point. Very similar situations.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
...Warren seemed to be a lot of peopleís second pick, but very few peopleís first...
She was my first choice. I question her electability, but at the end of the day, I voted my gut, and my gut said she'd be the best president of the available options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Yeah, Bijou, you're here with me in North Carolina, right? We've been a swing state before, and we have the chance to be one again.

Please look at this trolley hurtling toward destruction, and help me push it away from the precipice. You know as well as I do that the Green path--which is of course the best path--ain't the path this train is going down. It's either going on the Biden track or the Trump track. And one of those is way better than the other.

I wish it could go on the Sanders track or the Green track, but it won't. And I need your help pushing it on the least destructive track it might go onto, which is the Biden track.

All hands needed here, Bijou. Put a clothespin on your nose and help me push.
Yes, this, exactly this. Biden won't put children in cages. He won't brag about withholding medical aid from people whose governors aren't sufficiently "grateful" to him. He won't destroy the EPA -- you want greener policies, voting Biden will help a lot more than voting Stein.

Is he the best of all possible presidents? Highly unlikely. But he's the best of the options we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blalron View Post
Congratulations, you've won. I am a Bernie Bro, and I still intend to vote for Bernie in the Pennsylvania primary in June if he's still on the ballot as a symbolic protest vote, but in November I will bend the knee toward Joe Biden. With gritted teeth, I will reluctantly vote for the neoliberal centrist who won't change a goddamn thing, because he's the lesser of two evils. Bask in your victory. You've earned it.
Thank you. I don't care for Bernie, for a lot of reasons. And I won't "bend the knee" to anyone, because I believe we live in a democracy, and our elected representatives are our servants, not the other way around. But I would absolutely have voted for Sanders against Trump, and I appreciate that you will vote for Biden.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post

Its not even the supreme court. The real power is in the appellate court. The district court can be overturned by the appellate court, but very few appellate court cases are taken up by the SCOTUS. That is why McConnell has prioritized appointing appellate court judges.

There are 179 federal appellate court judges in the US. Trump has appointed 51 in under 4 years.

By comparison, Obama appointed 55 in 8 years.

Even if we get a true progressive movement in the 2030s and 2040s (which I think we will), a court stacked with far right judges will just overturn a lot of the laws passed on the state and federal level.

That alone is a major incentive for progressives to support both Biden and a democratic senate. Even if you don't agree with Biden, at least he won't appoint far right judges who sit on the bench for 30 years.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-09-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
Huh? And here I thought I'd just got done saying my widdle feelings weren't hurt and I would be voting for Joe. Guess I need to work on my writing.
I didn't mean you specifically, I meant the people you think are going to be scared away from voting for Biden because people are mean to them.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Count me as one of the Sanders supporters who will now reluctantly go to Biden. I do so with the full knowledge that he will not accomplish a single part of his agenda, because doing so would require a ruthlessly efficient steamroll-the-opposition mentality that Biden is incapable of possessing. *Maybe* he does something on healthcare *if* SCOTUS does something insane this fall, but beyond that a Biden presidency will result in no leftwing policies altogether.

So Biden will talk and talk and TALK about how supposedly wonderful his public option healthcare plan is, but because he will never lift a finger to pass it it will never come to pass and Democratic voters will be understandably demoralized and the party will be annihilated in 2022.

Them's the breaks, folks. Congrats to the Biden people, though, you've gotten your completely inconsequential and inevitably unsuccessful man as the nominee.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
It is believable, BTW, that Amy was promised a VP shot if she dropped out when she did - coming into the Minnesota primaries. Its also believable that Warren was told that she'd get all the backing possible for Senate Majority leader if she stepped down and Dems took the Senate.
You think Chuck Schumer is going to stand aside for Liz Warren? I don't.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyTacos View Post
So Biden will talk and talk and TALK about how supposedly wonderful his public option healthcare plan is, but because he will never lift a finger to pass it it will never come to pass and Democratic voters will be understandably demoralized and the party will be annihilated in 2022.
With a likely Republican Senate, I'm still trying to figure out how either Biden or Sanders would get ANY major legislation passed or why he would be expected to in the face of total, uncompromising Republican resistance.

To the extent it is possible, I think a Biden White House has a better shot at it than Sanders, who might be a better ally to have within the Senate itself than outside it trying to browbeat his former Republican Senate colleagues and/or have his planned fiat executive orders overridden by the federal courts.

ETA: Liz Warren seems to have had realistic plans on how to deal with unyielding, uncompromising opposition, so I would hope Biden (or in an alternate reality Sanders) would take on those ideas, but I'm not really hopeful on that score, either.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 04-09-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyTacos View Post
Count me as one of the Sanders supporters who will now reluctantly go to Biden. I do so with the full knowledge that he will not accomplish a single part of his agenda, because doing so would require a ruthlessly efficient steamroll-the-opposition mentality that Biden is incapable of possessing.
Because Sanders' own "ruthlessly efficient steamroll-the-opposition mentality" has been so effective in advancing his goals over his decades-long Senate career.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Just because you say it doesn't make it credible (and doesn't even rise close to "believable"). Quite the opposite in fact.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
They have feelings?
Feelings, sure. To the point of weeping, though? That hasn't been my experience.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Talking about tax credits for health care is bad strategy.
Well you got me, looks like I'm gonna vote for Trump or stay home, then eh?
Old 04-09-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Feelings, sure. To the point of weeping, though? That hasn't been my experience.
You can't imagine that other people have different experiences?

People cry over books and movies. People cry because they're angry. Some people cry just because they're tired.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Because Sanders' own "ruthlessly efficient steamroll-the-opposition mentality" has been so effective in advancing his goals over his decades-long Senate career.
A week ago the GOP wanted to pass a stimulus. Democrats blocked them until democratic agenda items were added.

Extra oversight was added (which Trump is already trying to get around, but it was added)
UI was expanded beyond the GOP senate bill
Extra funding was added for minority groups
Extra funding for health care frontliners
etc

Yes, that is ruthlessly efficient. Did the democrats get everything they wanted? No, but they stood up for themselves and fought for what they believe in.

Biden won't do that. Biden will let the republicans write the terms of the debate, and he will submissively give into those terms in the name of bipartisanship.

Thats not bipartisanship. Ideally bipartisanship is the GOP fights like hell for what they believe in, then the democrats fight like hell, and hopefully something gets hammered out that both sides can agree on. But yes, sometimes groups need to be steamrolled. When LBJ passed the civil rights act, virtually no southern white politicians voted for it. And thats ok.

The Obama/Biden definition of bipartisanship is the GOP fights like hell, so the democrats give up ground until the GOP stops fighting. Instead of meeting on the battlefield and fighting it out, Biden will retreat and retreat until the GOP realize they've won and don't fight as much, then Biden will say how bipartisan he was.

We've got 4-8 years of that to look forward to. Biden encouraging the democrats to abandon their voters and abandon their principles until the GOP realize they've won and don't put up as much of a fight.

This isn't because Biden is a centrist either. Harris and Buttigieg are centrists too, and I don't think they would do that as president. Its more of a Biden thing.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-09-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I'll be surprised if he's still alive in 2024, and if he is, that he's even healthy enough to be in the Senate. Every time I saw him interviewed, etc. he was more and more bent over, which is never a good sign.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Yes but how many of those principles will Biden happily abandon because he values 'bipartisanship' more than getting things done?
Realistically bipartisanship is Biden's best chance to get things that require legislative action done.

If Democrats do manage to eke out a slight Senate majority they probably do not have the votes to nuke the legislative filibuster. The odds of a supermajority are slim. A majority, even if it is just based on the VP tiebreaker vote, does open up budget reconciliation once a year.* The likeliest possibility still seems to be a small Senate GOP majority. In that case, only things that are at least mildly bipartisan will get passed.

Then there is the House. There are a lot of freshmen Reps that won slightly red leaning districts in 2018 while not arguing for impeachment. Some even argued against impeachment. That changed. In a presidential cycle, Biden needs to work to make sure normal coattails keeps them from losing in order to keep the House majority. He probably keeps it for at least that first 2 years but is not a given. The margin may still be reduced enough where he has issues with internal party conflict limiting what he can get through. Biden also has to know that the sitting president normally sees the House swing the opposite direction. The "Blue Wave" that brought in the current Democratic majority was a pretty normal sized swing for a midterm election. It was not particularly special. Biden has enough experience to know that there is a real chance he will see a wave against him and face a GOP majority in the House to finish his term.

Biden having the freedom to legislate without some form of bipartisanship is IMO not very realistic.

* Technically twice a fiscal year for budget reconciliation. There can be on appropriations and one revenue/taxation bill per year. Frequently that is one bill that does both. There can be two separate bills, though.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Realistically bipartisanship is Biden's best chance to get things that require legislative action done.
No, its the only chance to get the GOP platform done because that's the only bipartisanship they are interested in.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post

If Democrats do manage to eke out a slight Senate majority they probably do not have the votes to nuke the legislative filibuster. The odds of a supermajority are slim. A majority, even if it is just based on the VP tiebreaker vote, does open up budget reconciliation once a year.* The likeliest possibility still seems to be a small Senate GOP majority. In that case, only things that are at least mildly bipartisan will get passed.
I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about the democrats fighting with everything they have. Which Biden will not do. The republicans will bring a gun to a knife fight while Biden will bring cookies and milk.

The president is going to need to use executive orders, reconciliation, and boxing the GOP into bad positions (like they did with the coronavirus stimulus, and like they tried to do with extending the Bush tax cuts) to get agenda items they want passed. Biden probably won't use these tools. Instead he will let the GOP use all the tools at their disposal while the democrats use almost none, the GOP will write the terms of the debate, and 'bipartisanship' will mean the GOP gets 80% of what they want and the democrats get 20% if they are lucky.

HOpefully, Pelosi will hold up another coronavirus stimulus unless the democrats get concessions like voting by mail. Voting by mail is not only smart and healthy during a pandemic, it increases voter turnout which increases democratic election victories. Knowing Biden, if he were president he'd give that agenda item up for nothing in return as a good faith concession. Its like when the ACA was being debated, the democrats gave up both single payer and a public option for nothing in return.

Biden is weak and gullible. That isn't because he is a centrist, its because he is Biden. Buttigieg was a centrist, and I don't think he would do those things.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-09-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your experience isn't especially relevant.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
HOpefully, Pelosi will hold up another coronavirus stimulus unless the democrats get concessions like voting by mail. Voting by mail is not only smart and healthy during a pandemic, it increases voter turnout which increases democratic election victories.
Republicans have worked extremely hard to make it hard to vote because its the only chance they have, we're going to be living in The Stand before they agree to vote by mail.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's also a really shitty time for everyone right now. People are all stresed out, and just one thing, even something really small, can send you over the edge.

Think like, you've had had a really bad day, just one thing after another, until finally just the tiniest thing, just breaking a glass, or spilling something, it's just one thing too many.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
[snip] then Hillary is most likely the President in 2024 or 2028.

I think it makes a lot of sense.
Wow, Baby Boomers really do think they're immortal.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The left has to decide how to respond now their compromise candidate has dropped out.
First time I've ever seen Bernie described as a "compromise candidate".
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Wow, Baby Boomers really do think they're immortal.
We are!
Old 04-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
No, just stop it. It makes no sense at all. Hillary shouldn't be allowed within a time zone of the convention and should be exiled to an island with no internet for the rest of the campaign. Nothing against her personally, but she's absolute election poison. (And yes, I know she won the popular vote in 2016. But she lost the election to the least qualified person ever to run.)
Yeah, you may be right.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Money is on Kamilla
Who's Kamilla?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Who's Kamilla?
Kamilla the Hun. Do keep up Omar.

:-)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who's Kamilla?
Kamala's mirror universe counterpart.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I was hoping that it meant the Duchess of Cornwall was under consideration.
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blalron View Post
Congratulations, you've won. I am a Bernie Bro, and I still intend to vote for Bernie in the Pennsylvania primary in June if he's still on the ballot as a symbolic protest vote, but in November I will bend the knee toward Joe Biden. With gritted teeth, I will reluctantly vote for the neoliberal centrist who won't change a goddamn thing, because he's the lesser of two evils. Bask in your victory. You've earned it.
I'm basically in the same boat...but I'm also in a non-competitive, small state so I could vote for The Zombified Corpse of Ronald Reagan and it wouldn't mean a thing.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

6h
Nobody wants to say that if Elizabeth Warren gets out of the race before Super Tuesday, Crazy Bernie Sanders wins virtually every state in a blowout...NOT EVEN CLOSE! I haven’t heard one member of the Fake News Establishment even mention this irrefutable fact. FAKE NEWS!
Trump seems to be off his meds today, if this tweet is anything to go by....
Old 04-10-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who's Kamilla?
Prince Charlesís second wife, duh.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

6h
Nobody wants to say that if Elizabeth Warren gets out of the race before Super Tuesday, Crazy Bernie Sanders wins virtually every state in a blowout...NOT EVEN CLOSE! I havenít heard one member of the Fake News Establishment even mention this irrefutable fact. FAKE NEWS!
Here's the link to the tweet in case anyone else had to see it to believe it. Wow.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Here's the link to the tweet in case anyone else had to see it to believe it. Wow.
Thanks for that. I had to do a double-take myself, and question my certainty that the past month had actually happened.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

6h
Nobody wants to say that if Elizabeth Warren gets out of the race before Super Tuesday, Crazy Bernie Sanders wins virtually every state in a blowout...NOT EVEN CLOSE! I havenít heard one member of the Fake News Establishment even mention this irrefutable fact. FAKE NEWS!

From the Man With His Finger On The Button.

"Mr. President, we--we can't just nuke London! The UK is one of our closest allies!"
"But they burned the White House!"

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 PM

He’s so full of shit.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

If you want to read Trump's tweets without getting the dirty feeling you'd get by going to his Twitter feed, I recommend the Trump Twitter Archive.

Here's a good one from yesterday: he retweets someone named Tom Fitton saying, "AG William Barr says Russia probe targeting @RealDonaldTrump was started 'without basis'. Where are the prosections?"

Assuming he meant "prosecutions", Trump can just fucking call up Barr and ask him where the prosecutions are! And if Barr won't prosecute, he can find someone who's even more of a toady than Barr is (admittedly a challenge, but Trump's up to it) to be AG. His tweets often have this weird aspect of Trump seemingly yelling at the TV about what his government's doing, even though he's in charge of it.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 04-11-2020 at 06:04 AM.