Old 04-13-2020, 11:58 AM

Going for a drive getting $100 fine is fine to me in a city, where the viral load could be high enough to justify it. But, in most places, your car is as safe as going for a walk, and those can be necessary just to help you deal. I've always assumed you could get sunshine even under lockdown (if not while in actual quarantine).

Masks and peace ordinances are perfectly fine. The former is a minimal reduction on freedom, and the latter is just normal--there are lots of noisy things I can't do at certain times. Plus, well, anything that blows air can spread droplets.

Guns can be essential to life outside of cities. City dwellers don't get that calling the police or animal control isn't an option when they are half an hour away. The rural/urban divide on guns actually exists separately from the political divide, just because of what is useful in different environments.

That said, I don't see any reason for the shops themselves to be open directly. They can do what other smaller shops do, and allow people to call, drive up, and get the item without going inside. No one needs to be browsing a gun shop at this time.

And, yes, abortions are needed services. They are urgent, and thus there is irreparable harm if they are stopped. But people are upset that they can't do their intimidation tactics to try and stop them.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
That doesn't seem like over reach as much as it does politicians playing politics.
No, it definitely is overreach. They're directly stealing shipments of items that do not belong to them, because they were too dumb to have enough stockpiled (despite knowing of the threat for years). Maybe if it were being handed out according to need, it could be justified, but it isn't.

Since this isn't the quarantine forum, I'll be explicit: Trump is using this to give equipment to states he wants to support him and take them away from those that don't. That's definitely overreach, at minimum.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
I don't know about overreach, but the local county has said we must wear face masks when we go to the stores now. It goes in to effect today, but they only said something Thursday night. I've turned off the news in the last week or so and would not have heard a thing had someone else not told me. It's a $500 fine the first time and $750 after that. I find that to be a really steep fine, and to not get the message out any better I find the couple of day notice a bit short.
No offense, but if you've turned off the news for the last week, how do you expect them to "get the message out any better" to you?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:00 PM

One of my favorite examples of ''blatant overreach'' is Chicago's mayor threatening arrest and/or $500 fines for people daring to ride bikes or go on a run.

"Walks near home are fine, but Lightfoot warned against long bike rides, walks and runs where people might congregate."

http://business.com/government/light...arks-lakefront

"Officer, I was just out for a mile run and there's no one close by." "How do you know you won't wind up where people are congregating? Hands behind your back, you're under arrest."
Old 04-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
No offense, but if you've turned off the news for the last week, how do you expect them to "get the message out any better" to you?
I've turned off the news, not everything. I've gotten sick of nothing but corona the entire time. It is only my county, Montgomery County MD, not the rest of the state. I've just scanned a few pages of the local Washington Post and found nothing on it, as well as WTOP, which is the local news organization and radio doesn't have anything either.

As for how to get the message out better? Lets see, they send Amber alerts and Silver alerts to my phone all the time. They send weather alerts to my phone. There are signs on all the stores about staying 6 feet away, and how the county has limited the number of people in the stores. They will physically mail us two or three things for each election, they could do the same for this.

I went out to shop yesterday because I don't have a mask. I didn't see any signs saying starting on Monday you must wear a mask.

I will say, that after a bit of trying to find something, the original statement seems to have been bad, there is a fine, but it's for the store and not the individual. They should still make more of an effort to make sure people know. I'm not the only one that doesn't pay much attention to the news.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
I'm generally a big fan of the constitution; but I am personally having a bit of a hard time thinking if gun shops are essential. If we treat the first amendment and the second amendment equally, I would say gun shops are just as essential as newspapers (note I'm not saying internet news sources....just newspapers).

But I really am having a hard time saying we need to have gun shops open at this time....

THen again, we think that liquor stores are 'essential' and I can't make a reasonable argument for why they should be open either.

To me, if we keep liquor stores and newspapers open; we should keep gun stores open...but I'm not hard set on my commitment.
The argument for liquor stores being essential is that alcoholic withdrawal can be fatal if not medically managed; the public health people don't want ERs clogged with detoxing alcoholics.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:15 PM

Best t-shirt memorializing an overreach by the Mayor of Denver, who shut down liquor stores and dispensaries and then rescinded it two hours later.

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic.../8902944_0.jpg
Old 04-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
How is purchasing firearms essential?

It’s 4/11 and so far I do not see roving bands of brigands outside my house roaming around in search of personal possessions and thanks to shelter in place laws I doubt there are any in cities as well and I have heard of very few crimes on other affected countries as well. (Oh that’s right—- they have fun control in almost every other Western country!)

So far, I see little or no reason to purchase firearms during this crisis, other than to use them to rob essentials from others.

Stay at home, and take the money you were going to spend on that useless assault rifle to feed your family or donate it to a good cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PETCO is open and purchasing anything from them isn't essential (you can get dog and cat food at any grocery store. Hell, Walmart and Hy Vee have bird seed and such as well).

Many clothing stores are open with pick up options or limited customers allowed inside.

As long as a place doesn't break any state or city rules regarding the number of people congregating in one place
, it should be allowed to conduct its business. Just because you don't like guns doesn't mean gun stores need to be singled out or that this is your opportunity to restrict people from purchasing them, regardless of what their reasoning is. I don't see you whining about any other business being open.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
The argument for liquor stores being essential is that alcoholic withdrawal can be fatal if not medically managed; the public health people don't want ERs clogged with detoxing alcoholics.
Thank god our coffee shops are able to be open, as I wouldn't want the emergency rooms flooded with caffeine withdrawal patients.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Leaving it to interpretation as many would say just being told you can’t eat out is one.

Personally, I’m down with staying home, social distancing, masks, and limited grocery store visits. With liberty comes responsibility and where I’m from state officials repeatedly asked citizens to practice these behaviors. When many of them didn’t, they started enacting enforceable rules.

But there have been a few instances I think where there has been an over reach:
... etc ...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
President claiming he's gonna decide when we stop doing the social distance thing. If you're over 60 or have a pre-existing condition like diabetes, lung issues, immune compromise, etc., don't be listening to the captains of industry and their hench-pols on this one.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
If only there were other places you could get alcohol. Oh wait, here in the buckle of the bible belt you can get it at grocery stores, convience stores and DELIVERED TO YOU.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivekiller View Post
President claiming he's gonna decide when we stop doing the social distance thing. If you're over 60 or have a pre-existing condition like diabetes, lung issues, immune compromise, etc., don't be listening to the captains of industry and their hench-pols on this one.
More than that, he has claimed "total authority."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
He claimed powers never envisioned by the Constitution and insisted his "authority is total" to order states and cities to get moving again to break out of the frozen economy. His warning came as two blocs of Eastern and Western hot-spot states banded together in an implied challenge to his vow to get people back to work soon, setting off a brewing confrontation over the power of the federal government.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Im not a lawyer but the feds can use the Commerce Clause to do whatever the hell they want when it comes to interstate commerce.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
If only there were other places you could get alcohol. Oh wait, here in the buckle of the bible belt you can get it at grocery stores, convience stores and DELIVERED TO YOU.
I'm not defending the decision to consider liquor stores essential. Not being a drinker, I don't have a dog in the fight. But I'm married to the clinical director of a counseling center who works with substance abusers, and this is the rationale she's heard from the state.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 04-14-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

In Pennsylvania the liquor stores were the first thing to close. Up until recently, these state stores were the only place you could buy wine and liquor. There are some few supermarkets which now have permits to sell such, but not many, and while some wineries have gone through the laborious process of getting such a permit, again there are not many. And it is illegal to bring it in from out of state. So, clearly, in PA alcoholic beverages are deemed non-essential. While they may be right (I don’t think them essential) - the pre-existing laws protecting the state-run stores now make it near impossible to source these in ways perfectly legal anywhere else. And that is overreach.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
In Pennsylvania the liquor stores were the first thing to close. Up until recently, these state stores were the only place you could buy wine and liquor. There are some few supermarkets which now have permits to sell such, but not many, and while some wineries have gone through the laborious process of getting such a permit, again there are not many. And it is illegal to bring it in from out of state. So, clearly, in PA alcoholic beverages are deemed non-essential. While they may be right (I don’t think them essential) - the pre-existing laws protecting the state-run stores now make it near impossible to source these in ways perfectly legal anywhere else. And that is overreach.
In my parts...I don't know if it was the mayor or governor who just hand-waved away laws or regulations to allow bars to *deliver alcohol*.

I mean, in a way that's insane overreach, but it also illustrates how ...weird? Is that the word im looking for?...society is.

To deliver booze would require a state ballot question, and it would almost certainly fail. But with a wave of the hand its allowed.

And ftr, I also don't have a dog in this race. I just think its funny that the Karentiners on my FB feed will photograph and shame an ice cream delivery man (food trucks are allowed to be open arnt they??) but not say a word about booze delivery or liquor stores.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
In my parts...I don't know if it was the mayor or governor who just hand-waved away laws or regulations to allow bars to *deliver alcohol*.

I mean, in a way that's insane overreach, but it also illustrates how ...weird? Is that the word im looking for?...society is.

To deliver booze would require a state ballot question, and it would almost certainly fail. But with a wave of the hand its allowed.

And ftr, I also don't have a dog in this race. I just think its funny that the Karentiners on my FB feed will photograph and shame an ice cream delivery man (food trucks are allowed to be open arnt they??) but not say a word about booze delivery or liquor stores.
Its a great idea to allow bars to deliver drinks. People could drink at home and avoid driving....home saving lives and 502s. What would be a reason to oppose this?
Old 04-15-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Most blatant COVID-19 related government overreach in the US so far
Not in the US, but just to show you how bad it *could* be.

In south africa, for the duration of the lockdown there is currently a complete ban on the sale of: All alcohol, and all tobacco products. These being non-essential services, of course. So a smoker goes to the grocery, there is a whole shelf full of smokes, but they are cordoned off. You are not allowed to buy them.
Yes, the grocery is still open.
Yes, they still have current stock of smokes.
No, you are not allowed to buy them.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:49 AM

In Michigan, a ban on buying seeds.

https://thepostmillennial.com/michig...iny-gatherings

Sounds very strange, considering that letting people grow "victory gardens" would help them avoid contact with people at supermarkets, by growing their own food.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:30 PM

Here's a weird story that was on the local front pages but I still have no idea what exactly happened. Apparently 7 people were arrested and fined $1,000 each for buying "non-essential beverages" and crossing city lines, from Fremont to Santa Cruz. I don't know what law they exactly are violating, does driving to another city make the fine stand, or was it because they "presumably" were all traveling in a group?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:55 PM

I've read several stories of people getting fined for violating these executive orders, but when you read the articles, without fail, the police attempted to warn the people and let them go on their way, but the people they warned basically told the officer to go get fucked that this was the United States of America and that they would do whatever they damned well pleased and the officer was pretty much forced to issue a citation.

Are there examples of Barney Fifes out there really taking this thing to the max? I'm sure there are here and there but if widespread, it will cause backlash.

I know I said it before, but the PA onslaught continues with PA residents going to other states to buy liquor. Why can't the governor either open up the state stores or temporarily allow grocery stores to sell it? Stop causing issues for other states; if you want to fuck up your own, then face the voters next time, but has certainly caused issues on the east coast.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Here's a weird story that was on the local front pages but I still have no idea what exactly happened. Apparently 7 people were arrested and fined $1,000 each for buying "non-essential beverages" and crossing city lines, from Fremont to Santa Cruz. I don't know what law they exactly are violating, does driving to another city make the fine stand, or was it because they "presumably" were all traveling in a group?
The morons did not merely cross a city limit. Fremont (Alameda County) and Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz County) are ~50 miles apart with San Jose (Santa Clara County) between. Those counties were the among the nation's first to issue Stay At Home orders. I doubt the morons will find a judge who finds their cruising an hour around San Francisco Bay and over the Coast Range for booze amid a publicized lockdown to be necessary travel.

MrsRico and I are former Santa Cruzers and it's very few hours away. But this is not the time to revisit old days.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:38 AM

If I get stopped on the way to my essential business, I guess I'll tell the cop, "I'm on my way to my essential business", but what if he doesn't accept my word for it?
Old 04-16-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
If I get stopped on the way to my essential business, I guess I'll tell the cop, "I'm on my way to my essential business", but what if he doesn't accept my word for it?
My nephew got some sort of letter from DHS (possibly via his employer) stating that he was employed in an essential industry. He’s supposed to carry it with him so he has something to show the cops.

The DHS list is pretty broad, IMHO. He pours concrete for a construction company and they aren’t building hospitals or anything like that.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
My nephew got some sort of letter from DHS (possibly via his employer) stating that he was employed in an essential industry. He’s supposed to carry it with him so he has something to show the cops.

The DHS list is pretty broad, IMHO. He pours concrete for a construction company and they aren’t building hospitals or anything like that.
Wow, I have a nephew who runs a concrete business. Maybe your nephew works for my nephew (in PA). I don't have a letter, and I can't be bothered to start making calls or writing emails to get one. Maybe I'll put some business cards in my wallet.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
The morons did not merely cross a city limit. Fremont (Alameda County) and Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz County) are ~50 miles apart with San Jose (Santa Clara County) between. Those counties were the among the nation's first to issue Stay At Home orders. I doubt the morons will find a judge who finds their cruising an hour around San Francisco Bay and over the Coast Range for booze amid a publicized lockdown to be necessary travel.

MrsRico and I are former Santa Cruzers and it's very few hours away. But this is not the time to revisit old days.
But booze is sold because it is considered "essential" right? So how is traveling to buy it not "essential"?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
But booze is sold because it is considered "essential" right? So how is traveling to buy it not "essential"?
Nobody any closer than 50+ miles away, in the high-population Bay Area, sold the booze they wanted?
Old 04-16-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash2k View Post
Nobody any closer than 50+ miles away, in the high-population Bay Area, sold the booze they wanted?
Not to play lawyer ball, but does the order that says shopping for booze is allowed say that you must only use the liquor store the closest to your house? How does being in a car that extra distance spread the virus? Maybe that place had better prices or a better selection.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Not to play lawyer ball, but does the order that says shopping for booze is allowed say that you must only use the liquor store the closest to your house? How does being in a car that extra distance spread the virus? Maybe that place had better prices or a better selection.
Stops along the way. Gas, snacks, fornication, who knows?
And you are playing lawyer ball. Even more chaotic than Calvinball.

Last edited by running coach; 04-16-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Stops along the way. Gas, snacks, fornication, who knows?
And you are playing lawyer ball. Even more chaotic than Calvinball.
For a 50 mile trip? When this is over, I want to go on a road trip with you. They seem a hell of a lot more fun than mine.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:25 PM

I need a fucking hair cut! I live in a county that is up to a whopping 6 confirmed positives for covid-19, none have died or even spent time in the hospital. I will park outside and give you my phone number. Send me a text when my turn comes. I am not going to get sick because the barber touched my hair.

It feels to me like the Ms Grundys of the world finally have the power to regulate our behavior and are abusing it. I go to work 40 hours a week still. I go to the mini mart, the grocery store, Home Depot, auto parts store, fishing supply store. But I can't go get a fucking hair cut.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
I need a fucking hair cut! I live in a county that is up to a whopping 6 confirmed positives for covid-19, none have died or even spent time in the hospital. I will park outside and give you my phone number. Send me a text when my turn comes. I am not going to get sick because the barber touched my hair.

It feels to me like the Ms Grundys of the world finally have the power to regulate our behavior and are abusing it. I go to work 40 hours a week still. I go to the mini mart, the grocery store, Home Depot, auto parts store, fishing supply store. But I can't go get a fucking hair cut.
I went to get a haircut the day before my state shut-down. The barber told me 4 days prior (back when statewide shutdown wasn't even on the table yet) a man came into the place to get a haircut but obviously had a severe fever and was coughing and sneezing everywhere so they had to kick him out and clean everything.

I can see how barbershops can be a huge vector
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
[side-track]
What does a tornado have to do, to be called "violent"?
[/side-track]
Listen to rap music.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post

Such a switch. You can now go into a pot store and get all the weed you want but have to meet your barber in a dark ally and him him cash.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:56 PM

A father was arrested for playing catch with his daughter at the park: LINK

Later police apologized and said we are sorry we got caught (well thats mine, they said it was pver reach but I think they really did it because it made it on the news.). LINK
Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
A father was arrested for playing catch with his daughter at the park: LINK

Later police apologized and said we are sorry we got caught (well thats mine, they said it was pver reach but I think they really did it because it made it on the news.). LINK
How about a link to an actual story with details.?
Quote:
Police arrived soon after, Mooney said, telling him and others in the area to leave because the park was closed.

Mooney said he told officers that he was familiar with the posted rules and believed he and his family were in compliance and practicing proper social distancing. He said he refused to provide his identification when officers asked for it because he had not broken any law.
So he was violating an order and trespassing.

Last edited by running coach; 04-16-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
For a 50 mile trip? When this is over, I want to go on a road trip with you. They seem a hell of a lot more fun than mine.
That's ~50 miles each way, not counting side trips to the Lick Observatory or Winchester Mystery House. 50 is the mountain-road mileage of our Costco runs. Along the way are livestock, roadhouses, paintball shooting ranges, vineyards and wineries, an eccentric castle (for sale) with carnival and metallic zoo (video), Daffodil Hill, and Indian casinos. Fun for all.

But we try to avoid excitement. Old Chinese curse: May you live in exciting times.

Back to overreach. We went joyriding today. Nobody stopped us. I guess it's underreach.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
PETCO is open and purchasing anything from them isn't essential (you can get dog and cat food at any grocery store. Hell, Walmart and Hy Vee have bird seed and such as well).

Many clothing stores are open with pick up options or limited customers allowed inside.

As long as a place doesn't break any state or city rules regarding the number of people congregating in one place
, it should be allowed to conduct its business. Just because you don't like guns doesn't mean gun stores need to be singled out or that this is your opportunity to restrict people from purchasing them, regardless of what their reasoning is. I don't see you whining about any other business being open.
“Whining” huh, well haha haha.....

In PA it’s not hunting season, and firing ranges are closed to the public. So, other than creating mayhem, why would you need a gun? And with these Red Staters threatening trouble against the current guidelines, even more the reason to close gun shops. But like typical Republicans, gun rights activist place their supposed “Constee-tushinal” rights over lives.

Oh and for the record my cat is more important than your gun.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
This is why we can't have nice things!
Guns are fun!
Old 04-17-2020, 02:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
In Michigan, a ban on buying seeds.

https://thepostmillennial.com/michig...iny-gatherings

Sounds very strange, considering that letting people grow "victory gardens" would help them avoid contact with people at supermarkets, by growing their own food.
By the time they can harvest anything, I doubt there will still be lockdowns as we’re experiencing them right now.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
The RI governor has gone into full goosestep mode.

The MI governor has taken leave of common sense also.

Charlie Parker, er, Baker, in MA somehow thinks the second amendment, both federal and state, is optional.
The only Nazis I've seen out are those fascists blocking hospital access in Michigan.

And unless you have nothing to eat and have to go shoot an animal to put in the pot, you have absolutely no fucking reason to have a gun except in your own fevered testosterone-poisoned imagination. Does it provide food, clothing, shelter, medicine? No. It's just for making holes in people. Is that an essential need for you? Murder? God, Americans make me sick.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In PA it’s not hunting season, and firing ranges are closed to the public. So, other than creating mayhem, why would you need a gun?
Vermin control.

When I'm out on the farm that's why most people I know even have firearms.

Here in and around DC, that's less of an issue.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Vermin control.

Wouldn't they already have a gun? Or several?
Old 04-17-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Wouldn't they already have a gun? Or several?
Dunno; we don't. Probably should. It's not like pests are necessarily a static problem. New and exciting problems come and go.

Last edited by Ruken; 04-17-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Vermin control.

Yes, most farmers will have a gun to shoot a dying animal, or dogs chasing livestock, or crows in the cornfield. But they already have them if they use them at all. The only reason to get all enraged over closing gunshops is OUR SECOND AMENDMENTS RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is to say, only that part of the US which is violentcrazystupid is disturbed by such an edict. Of course that's at least a quarter.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
But they already have them if they use them at all.
Apparently it's difficult to read just two more posts:
Quote:
Dunno; we don't. Probably should. It's not like pests are necessarily a static problem. New and exciting problems come and go.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
And with these Red Staters threatening trouble against the current guidelines, even more the reason to close gun shops. But like typical Republicans, gun rights activist place their supposed “Constee-tushinal” rights over lives.

Oh and for the record my cat is more important than your gun.
Moderator Note

Keep political potshots out of this forum. No warning issued, but don't do this again.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
Old 04-17-2020, 10:17 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Yes, most farmers will have a gun to shoot a dying animal, or dogs chasing livestock, or crows in the cornfield. But they already have them if they use them at all. The only reason to get all enraged over closing gunshops is OUR SECOND AMENDMENTS RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is to say, only that part of the US which is violentcrazystupid is disturbed by such an edict. Of course that's at least a quarter.
Moderator Note.

Ditto for this post. Knock it off.

Colibri
Old 04-17-2020, 10:20 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Since what is overreach depends on interpretation, let's move this to Politics and Elections.

Colibri

NOTE: My previous instructions were based on QZ rules. With the move, P&E rules apply.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:51 PM

Not necessarily an overreach, but when I am near the Maryland/WV border, I pop over into Maryland to buy liquor because Maryland has far cheaper liquor prices. My favorite stop is just over the bridge from Harper's Ferry (through about a 3/4 mile snip of VA) into Washington County, MD.

Two weeks ago there was a sign on the door stating that no masks could be worn in the store because state law required them to verify the age of all purchasers and even with ID they could not do that with part of the face covered.

Today there was a different sign mandating that masks be worn pursuant to Gov. Hogan's order requiring face masks in all public stores still open. (Although it noted that the policy was not effective until tomorrow 4/18).

So two weeks ago, during a pandemic, masks were forbidden in liquor stores to verify age. Today, during a pandemic, masks are required. At no time was choice allowed and I guess 14 year olds can get away with buying liquor now due to the threat of the pandemic, but two weeks ago it was better to let disease spread than allow 14 years old to buy liquor.