Old 04-12-2020, 08:24 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Speaking of Chrissie Hynde, The Pretenders did a nice job covering Room Full of Mirrors
Old 04-12-2020, 09:05 PM

Dust in the Wind is:
A fondly remembered song from my youth.
A corny song by a rock band trying to be "deep"
A fun guitar tune that I worked at a lot but never got smoothed out.
The truest song ever.

Here's somebody that got the guitar part down better than I ever did. Wait for her to switch to electric!
Old 04-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
"Great" is so subjective, but I like this one of late. A bit of a change from the source material. Little Martha, by Holly Bowling

And if there's anyone unfamiliar with the original, here's the Allman Bros version.

Here's Chuck Prophet playing You Make My Dreams Come True, on Live at Daryl's House (Daryl Hall). Chuck's fairly new to me, and I posted about him here. Really like his work, and it's hard for me to find new (to me) artists I like these days.

And here's the original Hall & Oates version, though I'd be surprised if it were actually needed.
The Holly Bowling video was cool, thanks. haven't watched the others yet.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:44 PM

Just found this a minute ago. Miss You, Stones/ Floyd cover. By Milk'n Blues
Old 04-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Wicked Game by Chris Issac, covered on the street in Tel Aviv by Yoni Schlesinger
Old 04-12-2020, 10:02 PM

Cake covers "I Will Survive."
Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 PM

Another Wicked Game cover, from Dublin. Jacob Koopman & Alice Tunney
Old 04-12-2020, 10:19 PM

Jacob Koopman doing Wicked Game solo in Dublin.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:37 PM

Tool cover. Beards Of Harmony
Old 04-12-2020, 10:54 PM

I think she's jamming along with a backing track with vocals. Hope the guitar's all her. Ayla does Since I've Been Loving You by Zep
Old 04-12-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Liked it!
Old 04-12-2020, 11:42 PM

Surprised this one hasn't come up already:

Proud Mary, Ike and Tina Revue.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Dust in the Wind is:
The truest song ever.

Here's somebody that got the guitar part down better than I ever did. Wait for her to switch to electric!
Holy shit. That's sweet.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 04-12-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:46 AM
Suspended

A Buddhist Monk reminds us we all live in a yellow submarine. Followed by Teenage Lobotomy. Ommm. Ommm. Raaaange...
Old 04-13-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
If you like that Postmodern Jukebox cover, try this one; I really like it:
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Vintage 1940s Swing Talking Heads Cover ft. Sara Niemietz
Old 04-13-2020, 11:38 AM

Paul Simon approved, IIRC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
Old 04-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Radiohead’s OK Computer album, done by a reggae band (the album, inevitably, is “Radiodread.”) I think it’s great!
Ah, the Easy Star All-Stars! They also did an excellent reggae cover of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's album; this cover of A Little Help From My Friends is actually one of my favorite versions of it!

A lot of my favorite covers have been mentioned, especially the ones that have seen chart success on their own possibly surpassing the original; here are some more not yet mentioned:

Love Rollercoaster, a #1 hit in 1976 for The Ohio Players, covered in 1996 by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for the 1996 movie Beavis and Butthead Do America that is now my preferred version.

Turn The Page was never a chart-topping hit for Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, though it gets regular airplay on Classic Rock stations; the cover version by Metallica was one of their biggest hits.

Killing Me Softly With His Song was a #1 hit in 1973 for Roberta Flack; but I will always remember being transfixed and blown away the first time I heard the cover version by The Fugees in a dollar store in New York City in 1996 (also a big hit).

(Another time I was so amazed by a great cover that I remember exactly where and when I was when I heard it, is the already mentioned CAKE version of "I Will Survive.")

Elton John first recorded Country Comfort in 1970; later that same year, it was covered by Rod Stewart in a tribute album to Sir Elton. It's a tossup to me which I'd prefer on any given listening.

Another Rod Stewart cover I like as much or more than the original: his version of I'm Losing You, particularly for the drum solo not found in the original by the Temptations.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Jackknife Stiletto's cover of Wannabe (yes, the Spice Girls song) is fantastic.

Dollyrots cover Brand New Key is unique but still very respectful of Melanie Safka's original.

And who doesn't like what Big Bad Voodoo Daddy did with the Jungle Book song, I Wanna Be Like You?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:24 PM

More of my favorite covers:

k.d. lang's rendition of The Beatles' Golden Slumbers/The End, and of course, her cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

Sinead O'Connor's version of Nothing Compares 2 U almost doesn't count, since Prince didn't record it before she did...

Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart has been covered a lot, mostly in the same style as the original piece; the other day, I heard a very interesting version of it by St. Etienne, from the 1990s. It was playing in the background somewhere and I didn't realize it was a cover for maybe a whole minute (where the original is one of my favorite songs).

Last edited by robardin; 04-13-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:31 PM

Paul Weller had a UK hit that didn't surface in the US called Wild Wood; I first heard, and prefer, a later remix with Portishead (but still featuring his vocals).

Back in the 1990s, Harvey Danger had a Top 40 hit with their song Flagpole Sitta; but ever since I heard it about ten years ago, I prefer the harder cover by Chiodos.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:31 PM

And just because nobody else is doing it...Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence after Disturbed made some corrections.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:02 PM

Another transfixing cover version of a song I was already well familiar with: Sting's Fields of Gold, as done by Eva Cassidy; this cover brought her to some fame, sadly 2 years after her passing away at age 33 of cancer.

The incredible ukelele-driven cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
Old 04-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Not sure if mashups count as a DJ-style version of a "cover", but these two are awesome, mad genius crossbreeds:

Stayin' Alive In The Wall (Bee Gees/Pink Floyd)
Justify My Whole Lotta Love (Madonna/Led Zeppelin)

Last edited by robardin; 04-13-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:18 PM

Also in the "dubious cover" category - my kids showed me this on YouTube a while ago, of a pianist who plays non-ragtime music in ragtime style upon request; I long for the day I can hear The Canadian National Anthem (ragtime) that starts at 0:57 played before a hockey game... And when' the last or next time I'll hear Deutschland Ueber Alles and go "a-ha-cha-cha!" at the end?

Last edited by robardin; 04-13-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Jeff Beck's version of Since We've Ended As Lovers
Old 04-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Some of my favorites:

Where is my Mind? (Pixies covered by Trampled by Turtles)

Your Woman (White Town covered by Princess Chelsea)

Down with the Sickness (Disturbed covered by Richard Cheese)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Apparently Gloria Gaynor is not a fan of that version, but I like it.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:29 PM

In that vein, I give you Krishna Das’s “Sri Angala Stotram”. It’s a long and unusual cover of Foreigner’s “I Want To Know What Love Is?” I like it way better than the original.

https://youtu.be/igsoFGv-Dw0

One of my other favorites is REM’s cover of John Lennon’s #9 Dream. It’s from the compilation album Instant Karma -The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur.

https://youtu.be/RKbTlmgEtis

The album is composed entirely of John Lennon covers and there are some really good ones. I highly recommend it if you like such things.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:31 PM

Puddles covers the Who and Johnny Cash. Simultaneously. Sort of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfPwtUTP4k
Old 04-13-2020, 02:40 PM

Chantel Kreviazuk - Leaving on a Jet Plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbt2G71uT1M
Anything by Tragedy but here's Stayin Alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsTPLSm2co
Street Spirit by The Darkness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGUOG-fa3Y
Lisa Hannigan - Oh You Pretty Things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pokc-BAmebQ
Irreplaceable - Robbie Fulks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twHmPbNk9Pc

btw the aforementioned Radiodread album - Toots and The Maytals are the band playing Let Down on there.

MiM
Old 04-13-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
Anything by Tragedy but here's Stayin Alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsTPLSm2co
I really liked this one, haha. Goes right along with the hardcore cover of Flagpole Sitta I shared earlier.

An "all-metal tribute to the Bee Gees" is something I never knew I needed, but always did.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:36 PM
SDSAB

The recent car-racing movie Ford v. Ferrari is well worth a look, at least in part because of its great cover of Tony Joe White's "Polk Salad Annie": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DyNHHrUhA
Old 04-13-2020, 03:48 PM

Funny, I was going to post the a cover of this song by Marie Digby that feels particularly heart-wrenching.

Here is Scarborough Fair taken from an online video game called Little Hope, which I've never played nor heard of, but totally dig the cover.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:07 PM

A jazz(?) band called The Bird and the Bee with a cover of I'm Into Something Good.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Another transfixing cover version of a song I was already well familiar with: Sting's Fields of Gold, as done by Eva Cassidy; this cover brought her to some fame, sadly 2 years after her passing away at age 33 of cancer.

The incredible ukelele-driven cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
Yes, but then no again; yes.

To clarify...

I loved the Eva Cassidy version of Fields of Gold initially, then I backed off into merely tolerating it after a few thousand more times hearing everyone playing it and saying how magical it was. I no longer roll my eyes at it, but I don't think I'll ever now climb up beyond toleration.

Somewhere over the Rainbow, uke...yep, there are quite a few thousand more plays available on that still before I descend from loving it.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding View Post
Yes, but then no again; yes.

To clarify...

I loved the Eva Cassidy version of Fields of Gold initially, then I backed off into merely tolerating it after a few thousand more times hearing everyone playing it and saying how magical it was. I no longer roll my eyes at it, but I don't think I'll ever now climb up beyond toleration.

Somewhere over the Rainbow, uke...yep, there are quite a few thousand more plays available on that still before I descend from loving it.
I can't say I've heard Eva Cassidy's Fields of Gold ad nauseam, considering it never got pop radio airplay and only plays infrequently on my local public radio station, WFUV in NYC. Few songs can withstand overexposure.

I take from your userid that you're in Yorkshire, England, hey? According to the Wikipedia article she was posthumously "discovered" by BBC Radio 2, so I suspect the oversaturation was much more of a thing there than over here in the US, where often I'm the person introducing it to people for the first time. And I first heard it about 8 years ago.

So... Dare I ask what your take is on Susan Boyle's cover of I Dreamed A Dream?
Old 04-13-2020, 04:49 PM

Here's Over the Rainbow with Austin Cromer and the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band
Old 04-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

robardin writes:

> Another transfixing cover version of a song I was already well familiar with: Sting's
> Fields of Gold, as done by Eva Cassidy; this cover brought her to some fame, sadly 2
> years after her passing away at age 33 of cancer.

Thank you for posting this, robardin. I'm worried that I'm now known as that boring poster who talks about nothing musical except Eva Cassidy, so it's good when someone else talks about her. Nearly all of Cassidy's songs were covers and were great, I think. Incidentally, she died on November 2, 1996 and really broke through to fame when an old video of her playing "Over the Rainbow" was shown on British TV, leading her to top the British charts early in 2001. So she really became famous more than four years after she died.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
Chantel Kreviazuk - Leaving on a Jet Plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbt2G71uT1M
I do quite like Chantel Kreviazuk, but this is a bit like viewing Venus de Milo with a 'cute' Snapchat filter. It's too slick, too stylish, too produced. Denver or PP&M were all about the pure, uncomplicated vocal delivery; this may have stood well on its own, but by comparison to the original, it's disappointing.

Quote:
Spectacular. Reworking the bass riff with NWOBHM guitar is inspired.

Quote:
Street Spirit by The Darkness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGUOG-fa3Y
Now, this may sound like saying "I like chips but could do without the whole 'fried potato' element of them"...but, well, although I really like the Darkness (I am literally wearing a Darkness gig T-shirt right now), I could do without too much of Justin's falsetto. And yeah, he's covering a Thom Yorke vocal and falsetto's his schtick, so obviously that's where he goes, but still: a bit more of his natural tone (think Dancing on a Friday Night, for example) would be better.

Quote:
Lisa Hannigan - Oh You Pretty Things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pokc-BAmebQ
Oh. OH! So nearly! Wondrous verse, but I couldn't last through the whole of the chorus. Terribly disappointing given what the verse suggested may have been to come!

Quote:
Irreplaceable - Robbie Fulks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twHmPbNk9Pc
SUPERB! A few seconds in and it's the definitive version.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The Barenaked Ladies version of "Lovers in the Dangerous Time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oOc3Zj0KU

... is totally different from, and in many ways better than, the Bruce Cockburn original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IX4gWkFqvU
Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The Barenaked Ladies version of "Lovers in the Dangerous Time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oOc3Zj0KU

... is totally different from, and in many ways better than, the Bruce Cockburn original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IX4gWkFqvU
Old 04-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I can't say I've heard Eva Cassidy's Fields of Gold ad nauseam, considering it never got pop radio airplay and only plays infrequently on my local public radio station, WFUV in NYC. Few songs can withstand overexposure.

I take from your userid that you're in Yorkshire, England, hey? According to the Wikipedia article she was posthumously "discovered" by BBC Radio 2, so I suspect the oversaturation was much more of a thing there than over here in the US, where often I'm the person introducing it to people for the first time. And I first heard it about 8 years ago.

So... Dare I ask what your take is on Susan Boyle's cover of I Dreamed A Dream?
Yep, guilty as charged: I was in my native Yorkshire and was around for the "discovery", and then heard it a hell of a lot after that!

SuBo...well, I avoid shows like the one which discovered her, and at the time I tended to listen mostly to BBC 6Music (not the natural home of the Susan Boyle fan) or Radcliffe & Maconie when they were still on Radio 2, so I didn't really encounter it much. I love Les Mis (in fact I had tickets for a performance of it next month, though that obviously ain't happening now!) and have sung choral versions of this; I was pleasantly surprised by her version, when I eventually heard it. Not bad at all. She's clearly an Elaine Paige fan, and no bad thing if this is your choice of material.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding View Post
Yep, guilty as charged: I was in my native Yorkshire and was around for the "discovery", and then heard it a hell of a lot after that!

SuBo...well, I avoid shows like the one which discovered her, and at the time I tended to listen mostly to BBC 6Music (not the natural home of the Susan Boyle fan) or Radcliffe & Maconie when they were still on Radio 2, so I didn't really encounter it much. I love Les Mis (in fact I had tickets for a performance of it next month, though that obviously ain't happening now!) and have sung choral versions of this; I was pleasantly surprised by her version, when I eventually heard it. Not bad at all. She's clearly an Elaine Paige fan, and no bad thing if this is your choice of material.
Ha, I meant in terms of oversaturation exhaustion. There was like a 2 week period of my life when I was flooded with posts and emails from people linking to her appearance on Britain's Got Talent, or just shoving a mobile device under my nose, "YOU'VE GOT TO SEE/HEAR THIS!!" - Yeah, I did, it was great, seeing it 5 times today was enough. So I wondered if it was even more prevalent in Britain.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Dust in the Wind is:
The truest song ever.

That was really cool, thanks!

And "corny"? It was deep! Just ask Socrates!
Old 04-13-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Ha, I meant in terms of oversaturation exhaustion. There was like a 2 week period of my life when I was flooded with posts and emails from people linking to her appearance on Britain's Got Talent, or just shoving a mobile device under my nose, "YOU'VE GOT TO SEE/HEAR THIS!!" - Yeah, I did, it was great, seeing it 5 times today was enough. So I wondered if it was even more prevalent in Britain.
Oh god yeah. I was aware that it was hailed as a once-in-a-millennium wonder, but was largely able to avoid it!
Old 04-13-2020, 09:53 PM

There are a lot of good Post Modern Jukebox covers. My favorite is Crazy Train.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart has been covered a lot, mostly in the same style as the original piece; the other day, I heard a very interesting version of it by St. Etienne, from the 1990s. It was playing in the background somewhere and I didn't realize it was a cover for maybe a whole minute (where the original is one of my favorite songs).
Whoa...St. Etienne's version was a cover?!
Old 04-14-2020, 04:59 AM

Prelude is a British folk singing trio, reminding me very much of Peter Paul and Mary. Their a cappella cover of Neil Diamond's After the Gold Rush was an international hit — apparently their only song to become well-known in the United States.

Here is another video of the same recording with visionary artwork.

A certain Andy Kohn did a karaoke cover of Grateful Dead's Ripple that works, IMHO, better than the original, including very nice fall foliage photography.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:41 AM

You might like Smells Like Teen Spirit more than you think!
Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Prelude is a British folk singing trio, reminding me very much of Peter Paul and Mary. Their a cappella cover of Neil Diamond's After the Gold Rush was an international hit — apparently their only song to become well-known in the United States.

Here is another video of the same recording with visionary artwork.

A certain Andy Kohn did a karaoke cover of Grateful Dead's Ripple that works, IMHO, better than the original, including very nice fall foliage photography.
I would LOVE to hear Neil DIAMOND perform After the Goldrush!