Old 04-14-2020, 05:51 AM

The Kinks sure aren't covered often enough. Here's a good one:

The Village Green Preservation Society
Old 04-14-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
I would LOVE to hear Neil DIAMOND perform After the Goldrush!

And Neil Young to do "Sweet Caroline", LOL
Old 04-14-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding View Post
Whoa...St. Etienne's version was a cover?!
I hope this is a joke; it'd be a bit like not realizing Madonna's 2000 cover of American Pie was a cover of Don McLean's classic... Now let us never speak of it again.

Here's another blasphemous "dance remix" of a Neil Young classic: After The Gold Rush by The Time and Space Machine, 2008. Brrrrr. (The St. Etienne cover was "interesting", this one I feel is just "bad"; the arrangement totally doesn't fit the lyrical imagery.)

Just remembered another favorite cover rendition, Guns 'n' Roses doing Bob Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

Yet I didn't really care for the G-n-R cover of Sympathy For The Devil.

Last edited by robardin; 04-14-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I would LOVE to hear Neil DIAMOND perform After the Goldrush!
Sorry, you probably can't. That's what happens when I post at 4 in the morning. I blame Auto-Correct.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Musically, it reminded me of Joni Mitchell's classic Big Yellow Taxi ("don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone - they paved paradise, and put up a parking lot...").

It made me remember that Amy Grant had a minor hit covering this in the 1990s (with slightly altered lyrics), but surprisingly, the highest pop-chart position version is the 2008 cover by Counting Crows f. Vanessa Carlton.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
There are a lot of good Post Modern Jukebox covers. My favorite is Crazy Train.
That was a fun one. I noticed, now that you can actually understand the words being sung, the lyrics mostly fit very well in the context of a 40s big band song. Wouldn't have expected that from Ozzy song lyrics.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:21 AM

Here's Neil Young's When You Dance, I Can Really Love done in a country/banjo style by the Paula Boggs Band.

Or, way better: Rockin' In The Free World, which has been covered extensively by Pearl Jam and The Alarm such that it's in their standard set, here performed as a global collaborative jam with an awesome array of musicians contributing.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
That was a fun one. I noticed, now that you can actually understand the words being sung, the lyrics mostly fit very well in the context of a 40s big band song. Wouldn't have expected that from Ozzy song lyrics.
You know, I don't think my kids know the Ozzy original... Gonna put this on a few times, then play the Ozzy one, and see their reaction, LOL. It might be like suddenly hearing Black Sabbath doing a Cole Porter song.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
That was genuinely awesome (see my other post about how I think my kids will totally believe it's the original version)...

But thanks to YouTube's side bar of related links, I have now also heard Eminem's classic Lose Yourself done as a Gypsy Jazz/swing cover and I will need 30 minutes or so to recover from this.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Yes's rock-'n'-roll cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "America."
During the introduction Chris Squire plays Leonard Bernstein's "America" as counterpoint in the 6/8=3/4 tresillo rhythm for four bars. At least half of the track is a rockabilly jam between twin lead guitarists Steve Howe and Delaney Bramlett.
Here's the link so you can listen: https://youtu.be/3CACWj18ruk
Squire plays Bernstein at 1:44–1:50.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
OK I'm just going to say that PMJB is going to win this as a category... I've just been listening to their collection on YouTube for the past hour-plus and at least one song sounds like it should always have been a jazz standard, The Cardigans' Lovefool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXjZeCL0C9o
Old 04-15-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
I hope this is a joke; it'd be a bit like not realizing Madonna's 2000 cover of American Pie was a cover of Don McLean's classic... Now let us never speak of it again.
Nope. And I'm speaking of it...
It felt vaguely familiar that I'd encountered the idea of its being a Neil Young song - or that there was a Neil Young version - when I read your post, but no, that's a Saint Etienne song to me. And presumably to many others. Google included. I just googled the title, first result: "song by Saint Etienne", image of their single, link to their YouTube video. The entire first page is Saint Etienne references (although Neil C. Young is listed in the 'other recordings').

Not really the same ballpark as Madonna vs. McLean.

Could be because I'm UK based?

Last edited by Yorkshire Pudding; 04-15-2020 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:04 AM

Hil St. Soul covering the Isley Brothers' "For the Love of You"
Old 04-15-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Yesssss! I love this: the main reason I watched Jam & Jerusalem, to be honest. I'd never heard the Kinks original before that; it never had much airplay really, and I get the impression that interest in it was rekindled by the Kate Rusby version being so deservedly lauded.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
It felt vaguely familiar that I'd encountered the idea of its being a Neil Young song - or that there was a Neil Young version - when I read your post, but no, that's a Saint Etienne song to me. And presumably to many others. Google included. I just googled the title, first result: "song by Saint Etienne", image of their single, link to their YouTube video. The entire first page is Saint Etienne references (although Neil C. Young is listed in the 'other recordings').

Using DuckDuckGo.com after purging my cookies and browser history, I got a mix of Neil Young; Neil Young lyrics; St. Etienne, Wikipedia entry mentioning both performers;Youtube video links for Young, St. Etienne, and Everlast; Gene Pitney’s “Only Love Can Break a Heart”: and a young adult novel.

Young probably got most of the action because he was prioritized in Wikipedia and in the lyric sites, but St. Etienne was well represented.

Switching over to a United Kingdom area search, St. Etienne upped their game — mostly by appearing in more Youtube listings and lyrics sites — but still slightly trailed Young.

If your Google search was totally dominated by St. Etienne it seems likely that the results were influenced by your browser history. Possible?
Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Ommm. Ommm. Raaaange...
That needs a link.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Houtham View Post
If your Google search was totally dominated by St. Etienne it seems likely that the results were influenced by your browser history. Possible?
I suppose it's not impossible, but it seems unlikely. I mean, I quite like Saint Etienne when their stuff is on the radio, but I can't see how my browser would know that. I'm not a major fan or anything.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Apparently not...

I've known the Neil Young song for most of my life - I mean, the song is from 1971, basically the same age as I am - yet only heard the St. Etienne version (an artist I had never heard of, either) for the first time this year, and boggled that someone made a 90s-style dance remix of it. "Eh, it kind of works, and it kind of doesn't; forgettable except for the novelty."

So there is a good chance that back in 1992 I did hear it once or twice, had the same reaction of "WTF? OMG? OK, that's kind of an interesting twist on the song, not terrible, but I don't care to hear it again" - and then never did, for 28 years.

If I look at Wikipedia, yes she's mostly a UK based artist, and that cover version did do better there, versus having only fleeting/moderate attention in the US in 1992 (peaked at #97 of Top 100!). It says it did somewhat better on the "(US) Hot Dance Club Play" chart but I was definitely not guilty of being a "Hot Dance Club" frequenter in 1992. (Or any year.)

BUT, if I Google "Only Love Can Break Your Heart", just like you the top result is the St. Etienne cover, with links to play it on Spotify or to buy it on Apple Music. That's probably because it's 20+ years more recent, even though the Neil Young version reached #33 to her cover's #97 in the US.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I probably like these because of the context:
Eidelweiss from Man in the High Castle
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kn1_xTDTG8

Ryan Reynolds singing The Pokemon Theme Song
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_80PLRgQNk

Last edited by furryman; 04-15-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Apparently not...

I've known the Neil Young song for most of my life - I mean, the song is from 1971, basically the same age as I am - yet only heard the St. Etienne version (an artist I had never heard of, either) for the first time this year, and boggled that someone made a 90s-style dance remix of it. "Eh, it kind of works, and it kind of doesn't; forgettable except for the novelty."

So there is a good chance that back in 1992 I did hear it once or twice, had the same reaction of "WTF? OMG? OK, that's kind of an interesting twist on the song, not terrible, but I don't care to hear it again" - and then never did, for 28 years.

If I look at Wikipedia, yes she's mostly a UK based artist, and that cover version did do better there, versus having only fleeting/moderate attention in the US in 1992 (peaked at #97 of Top 100!). It says it did somewhat better on the "(US) Hot Dance Club Play" chart but I was definitely not guilty of being a "Hot Dance Club" frequenter in 1992. (Or any year.)

BUT, if I Google "Only Love Can Break Your Heart", just like you the top result is the St. Etienne cover, with links to play it on Spotify or to buy it on Apple Music. That's probably because it's 20+ years more recent, even though the Neil Young version reached #33 to her cover's #97 in the US.
I'm a little surprised I don't know Neil Young's original; I'm a bit younger than you but my folks were really into all sorts of music, including a lot of hippy folky stuff. My Mum worked across the pond in the early '70s and lived with a load of draft-dodgers, and our record shelves when I was a kid were stocked with Dylan, Baez et al.

But, as I learned about a year ago, my Dad hates After The Gold Rush. So: not much UK airplay and a family moratorium for the original, and I was a teenager in the 90s...so actually it's pretty understandable.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:32 PM

Billie Eilish's cover of Bad turns a cheesy West-Side-Story-in-the-80's gang flex into one sexy song. Michael's version never made any sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXlULkwhgrc]Jolene covered by The White Stripes is just badass.

Last edited by Sitnam; 04-15-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:39 PM

Gretchen Peters wrote and performed On a a Bus to St. Cloud, and it's been covered by others including Trisha Yearwood, but Jimmy LaFave just simply owns it.

Last edited by Dag Otto; 04-15-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Vonda Shepard, It's In His Kiss, courtesy of the Ally McBeal show, apparently. (I didn't watch it but I like the sound)
I remember this cover of "For Once in My Life" from that show. It's a different feel than the original - not "better than," but I really like this cover's interpretation.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:00 PM

Susan Tedeschi, in her own right, and here with the Tedeschi Trucks Band performing a cover of John Prine's Angel From Montgomery mixed with a little cover of the Grateful Dead's Sugaree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z17XtWc9o2E
Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 PM

Johnny Cash and Hurt. Watching the video gets me every time.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:

The Jam doing a much more energized version of David Watts.

Last edited by jaycat; 04-15-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:33 PM

Elvis Presley sings Nirvana*: Come as you are

Last cover thread I remember, someone posted the remarkable and excellent Trust In Me (from Disney's The Jungle Book) by Siouxsie and the Banshees. Worth reposting.

Here's a near cover version, but remarkable and wonderful so I'm posting it anyway. U2's Miss Sarajevo performed by Luciano Pavarotti, Brian Eno, Bono, The Edge and a sizeable orchestra.

j

* - No, not really. But give it a listen before clicking below. It's..... impressive. And not without merit.

SPOILER:
By Jim Brown. The first album, Gravelands, carried an explanation: Elvis, having died and gone to heaven, spends time with other dead musicians, absorbing their influences. He then returns to the land of the living, borrowing the body of Jim Brown, Belfast postman, for the purpose of recording an album of tributes to his new (dead) pals.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:03 PM

Finnish band, Steve 'n Seagulls cover of AC/DC Thunderstruck

Who knew Finland had rednecks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
Old 04-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex

Who knew Sweden had Rednex?

j
Old 04-16-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
A jazz(?) band called The Bird and the Bee with a cover of I'm Into Something Good.
I like their cover of How Deep Is Your Love (Bee Gees). They're probably be categorized as indie pop.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:04 PM

Please allow me, to introduce The String Cheese Incident covering Sympathy for the Devil

And two covers of Tangled up in Blues... I think Dylan would approve.

Leftover Salmon doing Tangled Up in Blue

Jerry Garcia Band doing Tangled Up in Blue

Leftover Salmon covering Harry Belafonte's
Boo Boo Song covered by LOS
Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 PM

Good Lovin' by the Gilberto Sextet.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:18 AM

Aurora does lovely covers: Bowie's Life on Mars
Massive Attack's Teardrop

Meg Myers Running Up That Hill

I always feel it takes balls to do good covers where the greatest thing about the original is the singer - and both Liz Frazier and Kate Bush certainly qualify.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 AM

The incredible Nikki Hill covers AC/DC's If You Want Blood
Old 04-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverpro View Post
Johnny Cash and Hurt. Watching the video gets me every time.
Woah. I always thought Johnny Cash took ownership of that song but I never saw the video before. That video removes all doubt.
Trent Reznor sort of agrees
Old 04-17-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverpro View Post
Johnny Cash and Hurt.
Yeah, that could easily be both the title and the OP for this thread.

Trent who?
Old 04-17-2020, 07:50 PM

Bangles Cover Simon And Garfunkle's Hazy Shade Of Winter I love this cover, it's from the movie Less Than Zero, 1987.

Here's the live version.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
OK I'm just going to say that PMJB is going to win this as a category... I've just been listening to their collection on YouTube for the past hour-plus and at least one song sounds like it should always have been a jazz standard, The Cardigans' Lovefool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXjZeCL0C9o
Yeah, some days I just put PMJB's YouTube channel on and love everything that comes on.

My absolute favorite of theirs is Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass". They took a fun, if somewhat throwaway, pop song, and made it damn sexy. Visual appeal aside they managed to put together three different, yet complementary, vocalists who just crushed it.

Not to mention two guys playing the same upright bass at the same time in the middle of the song.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:22 AM

Can't swear it's a great cover, but just this morning I heard Cake's version of Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town, and it caused me to realize what a dark, dark song it really is. Never really paid attention to the lyrics too much before that.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
Funny, I was going to post the a cover of this song by Marie Digby that feels particularly heart-wrenching.

Here is Scarborough Fair taken from an online video game called Little Hope, which I've never played nor heard of, but totally dig the cover.
Marie Digby ! Nice.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 PM

Sorry if I missed it but did we really get this far without a link to Richard Thompson covers Britney Spears' Oops I Did It Again?
Old 04-19-2020, 07:57 PM

Kala and Aidan cover Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
Old 04-19-2020, 08:01 PM

As long as I'm deep into my saved music favorites...TNAFF covers Steve Wariner, Some Fools Never Learn
Old 04-19-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
If you like that Postmodern Jukebox cover, try this one; I really like it:
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Vintage 1940s Swing Talking Heads Cover ft. Sara Niemietz
Always liked that song, nice cover!
Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 PM

Rhea Garbis covers Don't Fear The Reaper

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-19-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Eddie V just hits the vocals of "Reign O'er Me" out of the park...the violins are totally into this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7yEqPMlQH0
Old 04-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Mrs. Smith Zep cover, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Old 04-19-2020, 09:51 PM

IMO, the best cover of America is by the Swedish sisters First Aid Kit. Here they are performing it in front of Paul Simon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3xOakbGTo
Old 04-19-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
IMO, the best cover of America is by the Swedish sisters First Aid Kit. Here they are performing it in front of Paul Simon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3xOakbGTo
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

The Once doing "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" - wow. https://youtu.be/pHVlKh67Gik