Old 04-14-2020, 06:28 PM

Adventures of the Bread Machine

I finally purchased a bread machine. It's a Zojirushi Virtuoso, and manomanoman, this does everything but crochet sweaters!

So far, I've baked four loaves. First loaf was the Gluten-Free flour (Premium Gold gluten-free flax and ancient grains all-purpose flour). I used xanthan gum and the bread turned out quite nice! I had done some research on baking bread with gluten-free flour, and the pictures of the loaves were caved-in and dense looking. This bread had a nice rounded top and was a very light texture, held together well when sliced.

Second loaf was after my fifty pound sack of bread flour arrived. Plain old white bread. Snarfed up by everybody when the bread was really too hot to cut!

Third loaf was plain old white bread, using the bread flour, but adding one cup of grated cheese. It was a beautiful loaf, tasted pretty good, but it really needed more cheese.

Fourth loaf was part bread flour, part gluten-free, "ancient grains" flour. I wanted cinnamon raisin bread. Other recipes called for one teaspoon of cinnamon, for a two-pound loaf. HAH! We love our cinnamon! I dumped in two TABLESPOONS of cinnamon. And I had two cups of diced, dried fruit. Unfortunately I missed the "beep" to add stuff. I dumped the fruit in anyway.

BIG MISTAKE! Learn from my error!

The fruit stuck to the outside of the loaf. It also SPILLED from the top of the loaf when the dough went through the "rise" cycle. It spilled from the top of the loaf, outside the pan, to the bottom of the baking chamber and the heating element. I've spent the better part of the afternoon chiseling charcoal pieces of dried fruit from the inside of the bread machine and heating element. Then I used strips of paper toweling wrung out in soapy water, and soaked what wouldn't chisel. Repeat multiple times. I think I finally removed enough crud that I can use the machine without the bread tasting like it was cooked in an open dutch oven over campfire coals.

I hope so.

My next project will use the dough setting, and I shall attempt...hamburger buns!

~VOW
Old 04-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Too bad about the fruit fiasco!

You were spot on with the cinnamon, however. The old standby Beard on Bread has a cinnamon bread recipe that has about 4.5 cups of flour and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. It's quite nice as written but I'm good with a tablespoon and a half.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:10 PM

I'm ordering me one of those machines. ()
Old 04-14-2020, 07:27 PM

I want to bake but yeast is like gold dust. I could buy some off Amazon but the price gouging is outrageous.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I love my Zojirushi rice cooker, although I got it at Costco but am convinced that a $20 rice cooker would be just as good (I actually can cook rice on the stovetop, but my wife is less attentive, and Asian besides, and not using a rice cooker is anathema).

My bread cooker is some brand, I'm not sure which, that I was considering giving away until recently. I can make bread in the oven. It takes time and planning, but it's better than the bread maker.

However, not having good bakery bread due to recent circumstances, and not wanting to take the time to make superior bread, I threw what I needed to into the bread maker, and three hours later, I had some damned good bread! What an awesome reminder that yes, consumer gadgets aren't necessarily junk. I'm keeping this machine.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:31 PM

There was a Farmers' Market here with some Mennonites who sold a Jalapeno Cheddar bread that could have raised the dead. Just saying.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
I want to bake but yeast is like gold dust. I could buy some off Amazon but the price gouging is outrageous.

I went to Amazon first, when I was looking for a bread machine. HOLY MACARONI! Any Zojirushi was well over $500!

I figured I needed to aim low. I checked out a no-name machine that would do a two-pound loaf. It was priced in the "not outrageous category," so I looked at the specs.

It was 220v. Well, crap!

I lucked out by having yeast on hand. But flour is getting difficult to find. Folks told me to go straight to the manufacturer to buy flour.

Maybe that's what you need to do for yeast?

~VOW
Old 04-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I went through a whole break machine phase when living in China are there are some threads for quite a few years ago about it.

Downside - you might gain weight cause it's so dang easy and even mediocre fresh bread is pretty awesome. And these machines do much better than mediocre
Old 04-14-2020, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's not a lot of yeast on the shelf, but there is some in my neck of the woods. Since Seattle was the original US epicenter, we went thru the whording early, and have restocked. Heck the other day, my local supermarket had toilet paper stacked up 10 feet high down several entire aisles. (But they had been previously empty, sparse, or sparsely filled with generic). I am still trying to get thru the Costco sized package of dry yeast that's been in my freezer for years and years.

Fiendish, you can make your own sourdough yeast. Do a search or youtube and there are tons of sites to show you how.

Second, for the price of a self addressed stamped envelope, you can get sourdough starter that traces roots back to the 1847 Oregon Trail. Check out Friends of Carl. Carl Griffith shared out sourdough starter from his Grandmother on the Oregon Trail, after Carl passed away "friends of carl" keep his starter alive and share it out.

Beer yeast can do in a pinch as well. Get yourself a bottle of real ale, reculture the yeast, and bob's your uncle.

Last edited by China Guy; 04-14-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:01 PM

I have had a sourdough starter for about 18 months, but my sourdough breads have been nice-tasting but generally haven't risen well enough.

No longer - I found a recipe by Joshua Weissman as presented on "Basics with Babish" that is easy and works (it takes time, but that's OK). Using a levain addresses the issue of not having the correct hydration in the starter, and I used a pizza stone and an inverted cast iron enamel casserole instead of a dutch oven, and it has been awesome.

I need to try and add some granary mix to make a seeded loaf at some point, but I am really happy about my new sourdough skills.

As for breadmakers, we have had a Panasonic breadmaker for six years now. It makes a great yeast-risen granary loaf (50% wholemeal flour) that is our primary loaf for toast and sandwiches. I've never seen a Zojirushi in the shops here, but I'll buy another Panasonic if ours ever dies ...
Old 04-15-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I can make bread in the oven. It takes time and planning, but it's better than the bread maker.

However, not having good bakery bread due to recent circumstances, and not wanting to take the time to make superior bread, I threw what I needed to into the bread maker, and three hours later, I had some damned good bread! What an awesome reminder that yes, consumer gadgets aren't necessarily junk. I'm keeping this machine.

There is a happy medium between "bread by hand" and "bread machine bread" which has been my main bread-making process for years. All you do is put your ingredients (from a machine recipe or a regular recipe) into the machine, choose the dough setting, and let the machine do all the work of kneading/first rise.

Then, take the dough, put it into bread pans, and let it do a second rise on the counter. Bake in the oven.

For me this combines (pun intended) the convenience of a bread machine with the flexibility, shape, and flavor of a more traditional loaf baked in the oven.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:52 AM

After I bought my first Zojirushi and was enjoying a bread machine cookbook, Mr VOW's stepmom stopped by for a visit. Now this was a woman who baked bread from scratch. She probably could do it with one hand tied behind her back.

I wanted to show off my new toy, so I offered to bake a loaf of bread for her. I got out the machine, all the ingredients, dumped everything in the pan according to directions and pressed START. I showed her the little window on top so you could peek inside.

This was the Zojirushi that made a tall vertical loaf, and it had just one paddle in the bottom of the pan. Stepmom had to stand on her very tippy toes to see inside. "That's not going to work," she said, as the cycle first started mixing.

I laughed, and assured her I had already made several loaves of bread in that machine, and it worked just fine.

She came down off her toes, and looked at me like I was crazy. "Aren't you going to stand there and watch it?"

Then I really laughed. I said the machine would be just fine. We could go into the other room and visit, and the machine would continue to work all by itself.

I finally dragged her into the other room so we could sit and visit. A few hours later, I was able to give her a fresh hot slice of homemade bread. She analyzed it with a critical eye and finely-tuned taste buds...and then admitted it was a great piece of bread.

~VOW
Old 04-15-2020, 07:41 AM

I have a bread machine I found at Goodwill years ago and bought figuring it was worth checking out. I guess people get them, use them a few times and then they sit around until they decide to get rid of them. Having somewhere to store it where it's not in the way, but easy to get out helps. I use mine fairly often, so well worth the 3.99 investment and it just won't die.

It bakes an odd shaped square loaf, so prefer to just go to the dough stage and then rise and bake the bread in two loaf pans. Cranberry orange bread is my go to, but I also like making cinnamon rolls. I should probably try to make something a little healthier, but don't have anything except white flour in the pantry right now.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post

Fiendish, you can make your own sourdough yeast. Do a search or youtube and there are tons of sites to show you how.

Second, for the price of a self addressed stamped envelope, you can get sourdough starter that traces roots back to the 1847 Oregon Trail. Check out Friends of Carl. Carl Griffith shared out sourdough starter from his Grandmother on the Oregon Trail, after Carl passed away "friends of carl" keep his starter alive and share it out.
Man, you shown me a rabbit hole and I'm now making my own yeast...
Old 04-15-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Old 04-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Then, take the dough, put it into bread pans, and let it do a second rise on the counter. Bake in the oven.
Completely forgot about this method. It's solid.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I love my Zojirushi rice cooker, although I got it at Costco but am convinced that a $20 rice cooker would be just as good (I actually can cook rice on the stovetop, but my wife is less attentive, and Asian besides, and not using a rice cooker is anathema).
Sorry to hijack but why a rice cooker (aside from your wife insists)? I make rice all the time and it's foolproof. One part rice, two parts water, a tiny splash of olive oil, heat until it just starts to boil, turn the burner to low and cover. Twenty minutes later....rice.

Is it better rice in the cooker? What if I only make a third to half a cup at a time to go with a meal?
Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 PM

also on teh breadFor me I love my rice cooker as well. The best benefit is the convenience. Personally I gave up on White rice and only eat Brown rice, because it has better flavor and texture. But it takes 90-100 to make. I can start it up, going for some errands, and come back from 1.5 to 4 hours later for some perfect rice waiting for me. Can't do that with a burner on.

Also on the bread front, I pulled out a frozen loaf from last week, and put the ball on a baking sheet under a bowl with the oven light on to defrost and raise.
When I remembered it 8 hours later it had oozed out of a ball, into a pillow, so I baked it that way. Was a nice ciabattaey loaf. Although I didn't consider that extra surface area and adjust the cook time, so it over cooked a bit.

Last edited by wolfman; 04-15-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

harario, rice cookers are the BOMB if you eat a lot of rice. It's hard to screw this up. Plus there are timers and multiple varieties of finished rice.

For your case, prolly not.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

We can't find bread flour anywhere but wheat gluten is easily available and you can apparently beef up AP flour into bread flour.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
There is a happy medium between "bread by hand" and "bread machine bread" which has been my main bread-making process for years. All you do is put your ingredients (from a machine recipe or a regular recipe) into the machine, choose the dough setting, and let the machine do all the work of kneading/first rise.

For me this combines (pun intended) the convenience of a bread machine with the flexibility, shape, and flavor of a more traditional loaf baked in the oven.
I fully endorse this approach as well. This is what we do if we aren't needing to wake up to fresh bread (in which case we set the break-maker timer and bake in there as well).

top tips? We had a little yeast for a few weeks and merely kept a 1/4 of the dough back to leaven the next batch the next day, that worked fine.
Also, when I make pizza dough I also make pitta bread from it as well by rolling small balls very thin and grilling them either in a hot dry frying pan or.....better still, on the griddle of a very hot barbeque.
Fresh cooked pittas with a big pot of pico de gallo and yogurt for dipping and scooping is heaven indeed.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:01 PM

I have to admit I did a little happy dance when my wife found the extra 1 lb brick of yeast in the pantry. Not that we didn't already have yeast- I think we had about 1/8 lb left from the last lb we'd opened, plus some random packets we'd acquired.

If you're short on yeast, consider the no-knead bread recipes- they rely on the yeast multiplying during an extended rise, so they use very little yeast- like 1/4 tsp, which is about one eighth the normal amount per loaf.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...no-knead-bread
Old 04-16-2020, 08:35 PM

I used the dough setting and made hamburger buns! First time I have ever done such a thing.

There were a few uglies in the bunch, but the taste was magnificent!

~VOW
Old 04-17-2020, 09:46 AM

I've been lucky in that Gordon Food Service and the grocery store I work at have yeast back in stock, though not the individual packets. I gave away some of my packets to people on Facebook in my neighborhood for Easter bread.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:11 AM

I got a text the other day that the farm market we live near had gotten fresh yeast in. I had her set aside a container for me and I'll be baking tonight. I use the dough setting and especially like making braided loaves.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:42 PM

I have an Oster machine that I found at St Vinnys for $7. Could not believe my good luck because I was looking for aNorthern replacement paddle for an Oster bread machine and was told by the company they don’t stock paddles anymore and I’ should just buy a new machine. A couple days later I’m at the thrift shop and spy an Oster on a shelf. Same exact machine I took it home compared it to mine which I bought brand new but was in deplorable shape compared to the one I just bought for $7.

I mostly make pizza dough with it.But now I am super careful with the paddle when cleaning up because they can lost easily in the mess of pizza debris and get tossed out with the trash.

Last edited by chela; 04-17-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:53 PM

I mix my bread using only a 1/2 tsp of yeast and then let it rise usually about 18 hours. Cuts down on how much yeast you need and improves the flavor. However, flour appears to be in short supply.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I mix my bread using only a 1/2 tsp of yeast and then let it rise usually about 18 hours. Cuts down on how much yeast you need and improves the flavor. However, flour appears to be in short supply.

Stop by The Daughter's house. I bought a fifty pound bag of bread flour, and because she demanded requestedwhole wheat, I got ten pounds of whole wheat.

And that's on top of the umpty pounds of gluten-free crap flour I started out with!

I can give you some bread flour.

~VOW
Old 04-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Sorry to hijack but why a rice cooker (aside from your wife insists)? I make rice all the time and it's foolproof. One part rice, two parts water, a tiny splash of olive oil, heat until it just starts to boil, turn the burner to low and cover. Twenty minutes later....rice.

Is it better rice in the cooker? What if I only make a third to half a cup at a time to go with a meal?
Maybe you misunderstood me. I can make rice without a rice cooker; I'm the 1.5:1 club myself, but 2:1 works. I have a rice cooker 'cos the wife wants one; all the Chinese use them for some reason. When I say "I love my Zojirushi," I don't mean that it makes my life easier than making rice on the stovetop (it's only slightly easier), but that I have no complaints; it's foolproof. But making rice is nearly foolproof, so a machine at only costs a few bucks is probably just as good.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:30 PM

Just saw this thread. I just happened to be talking to a friend about our breadmaker adventures today. We were very early in the breadmaker trend, I got one back in the mid-90's.

It was fabulous, worked great right up until I got rid of it. We loved the bread, pizza dough, cinnamon buns etc it made.

We finally gave it away because we were eating too much bread. We started to gain weight noticeably, part of which we attributed to the entire loaf my wife and I would split in each Saturday and again on Sunday morning. plus all the weekday loaves. Zero will-power and impulse control in our house.

That said, it was a wonderful machine.

@VOW:
There are many cookbooks out there now, but my favourite one was The Bread Machine Cookbook by Donna Rathmell German. (It looks like it was updated in 2005):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...t_bibl_vppi_i1

I think the cinnamon buns recipe we used was in this cookbook. They were amazing!!! If you don't have one, find one. You basically make a sweet dough. After it rises roll it into a large flat rectangle then coat it with brown sugar & cinnamon mixture. Then roll it up lengthwise (like a jellyroll) and slice it into 1.5" cylinders and drop them into a muffin tins to bake. When the come out of the oven you coat them with cream cheese and icing sugar glaze.

I'm salivating just thinking about it. God, I miss that machine.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I just remembered that a housemate of mine in 1991 had a bread maker. I don’t know if it was her or the particular machine but her bread was mediocre. All of the loads came out shaped like a conical Bundt cake. And the thing was fucking loud. She would run it overnight and all night it would be whirrr-rrrrrr-rrrrr. I hated that thing.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
Just saw this thread. I just happened to be talking to a friend about our breadmaker adventures today. We were very early in the breadmaker trend, I got one back in the mid-90's.

It was fabulous, worked great right up until I got rid of it. We loved the bread, pizza dough, cinnamon buns etc it made.

We finally gave it away because we were eating too much bread. We started to gain weight noticeably, part of which we attributed to the entire loaf my wife and I would split in each Saturday and again on Sunday morning. plus all the weekday loaves. Zero will-power and impulse control in our house.

That said, it was a wonderful machine.

@VOW:
There are many cookbooks out there now, but my favourite one was The Bread Machine Cookbook by Donna Rathmell German. (It looks like it was updated in 2005):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...t_bibl_vppi_i1

I think the cinnamon buns recipe we used was in this cookbook. They were amazing!!! If you don't have one, find one. You basically make a sweet dough. After it rises roll it into a large flat rectangle then coat it with brown sugar & cinnamon mixture. Then roll it up lengthwise (like a jellyroll) and slice it into 1.5" cylinders and drop them into a muffin tins to bake. When the come out of the oven you coat them with cream cheese and icing sugar glaze.

I'm salivating just thinking about it. God, I miss that machine.

THANK YOU! I was looking for that exact book. I used to actually have a copy, back when I owned my first Zojirushi!

It will be here in about a week and a half!

~VOW
Old 04-20-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood me. I can make rice without a rice cooker; I'm the 1.5:1 club myself, but 2:1 works. I have a rice cooker 'cos the wife wants one; all the Chinese use them for some reason. When I say "I love my Zojirushi," I don't mean that it makes my life easier than making rice on the stovetop (it's only slightly easier), but that I have no complaints; it's foolproof. But making rice is nearly foolproof, so a machine at only costs a few bucks is probably just as good.
Generally, I find that rice cooker rice is better than stovetop, but it's one of those 80/20 rule things- it takes longer, and takes specialized equipment to move you to 85%, versus the 80% you get from the stovetop.

Where I like it is that I have one of those Panasonic fuzzy-logic ones, and if I'm on the ball enough, I can do one of two things- set it to have the rice finished by a specific time (like put the rice and water in before lunch, and tell it to have it done at 6 pm), or I can start it and leave it, without worry that it'll burn, turn into a gluey mass, etc...
Old 05-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Let me change your life. We have had a bread machine for 15 years and only one recipe has been truly stellar. I mean, many breads have come out good, but this is a "bring the house down" bread for us.

Here is the Google Doc if you want to print it.

Here is just the text of it here:

Awesome Garlic Bread

1 ⅛ cup water
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic or garlic paste
3 cups white flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 ˝ tsp salt (use garlic salt)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tsp sweet basil
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp. Yeast - measure exactly on this part!

Use Basic cycle, choose medium crust.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:09 PM

As expected, I've been breading regularly! Sunday I made blana bread, a quick bread, and it turned out very yum! Every person who buys bananas have had the last two sulk and pout and turn soft and nasty looking. Everybody SAYS, "Oh, I will make some lovely banana bread!"

Life gets in the way, and the fruit flies move in!

With the bread machine front and center, blana bread is easy to do. Throw everything in the bread pan, push "Start," and return to the kitchen later to eat it!

Yesterday I made a yeast bread--cheese bread. It turned out nicely, and I have a pocketful of notes on "adjustments" to make it perfect next time.

Today, I had planned to make hot dog buns. The freezers are overflowing with zillions of hot dogs, so hot dog buns seemed ideal. My hamburger buns were fantastic, so I fully expect hot dog buns to be rave-worthy.

The Daughter suggested pigs-in-a-blanket, instead.

Well, of course. Firstly, who doesn't love PIAB? Secondly, my mother used to make them all the time, so PIAB will fill the grownups with nostalgia.

The Daughter was also digging through the refrigerator, and grumbling about all the dibs and dabs of leftovers. The menu now includes "Pasture in a Blanket" (miscellaneous veggies all chopped up) and "Cluck in a Blanket" (leftover roast chicken). The Cluck in a Blanket will work nicely for Mr VOW. Hot dogs are full of salt, and he'd end up with a half of PIAB.

I shall report back here on the success (or not) of Pasture in a Blanket and Cluck in a Blanket!

~VOW
Old 05-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Many years ago we were gifted a Cuisinart bread machine. We used it a few times but did not rely upon it very much. Too much amazing fresh baked bread from two different bakeries no more than 3 blocks away. ( Ahhhh... New York City. )

In very early March, I did some serious shopping. What happened in China and Italy was already emerging in America. I feared for basic food supply chain interruptions. One of the things I did was buy 10 strips of Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast packets. Each strip of 3 was $ 8.99 in the supermarket. $ 90.00 in yeast seemed very excessive....at the time.

Now, I don't tend the machine at home. My Dearly Beloved® reigns over that device with great joy. When I arrived home with the various purchases including 30 packets, she was a bit surprised. It turns out we do have access to store-bought baked bread. Both local bakeries are shuttered. And we're making breads in the machine. So far we're down to 24 packets left. And- of course- this entire situation will go at least into late autumn. We'll keep enough yeast around to get us through The Second Wave.

She's experimented with whole wheat doughs, basic white bread, one with minced fresh apple bits and a few others. All are tasty, none are awful and a few are just killer. It's a treat to my palate to get hot fresh bread. She enjoys the making. All good. The last one was whole wheat and oatmeal.

I know the Zojirushi name from hot water makers and rice cookers. Didn't know they made a bread machine- no surprise it's the Rolls Royce of machines. Their electronics are just amazing.

Hoping we branch out even more. She loves cinnamon raisin bread and I believe she plans to attack that idea soon.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One might say you've risen to the occasion.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Man, this thread and that garlic bread recipe make me want to dig out my Zojirushi and fire it up. It went into storage back when I was redoing the kitchen and I haven't bothered with it since. But I'm on temporary furlough right now so why not? And maybe the ice cream maker too...
Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 PM

Well, the Pigs in a Blanket were a huge success! Cluck in a Blanket was laudable!

Pasture in a Blanket didn't get much applause.

~VOW
Old 05-20-2020, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

VOW, what did you do for the cheese bread? Inquiring minds would love to replicate, though I shouldn't eat too many carbs...

I need to make friends with the baker at the deli a few towns away who does low carb bagels. Not that 26 is all that low, but it beats the snot out of regular ones.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
VOW, what did you do for the cheese bread? Inquiring minds would love to replicate, though I shouldn't eat too many carbs...

I need to make friends with the baker at the deli a few towns away who does low carb bagels. Not that 26 is all that low, but it beats the snot out of regular ones.

We have an insane amout of shredded cheese. And I discovered that no matter when you add shredded cheese, the kneading process obliterates it. Mind you, the resulting bread is rich and delicious, but you don't see actual cheese in the bread.

So! In browsing bread machine recipes, I read a tip by one fellow machinist: don't use shredded cheese! Take block cheese and cube it, and put it in the pan during the "add" signal.

My bread effort the other day, I added a good fistful of shredded cheese at the beginning, because it does creat a rich, yummy bread. Then, at the add signal, I dumped in about a cup to a cup and a half of cubed block cheese. I'd say 1/8" in size.

If you look closely, you can see flecks of cheese in a slice.

Next time, I might do 1/4" or even 1/2" dice. I want to SEE CHEESE.

A tip: cubed cheese tries to cling to itself and re-create the block of cheese. I sprinkled in about a tablespoon of flour, and used my fingers to distribute it, gently breaking up the dices into individual squares.

~VOW
Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 PM

"Awesome Garlic Bread" has been made! While it was baking, all vampires in the neighborhood packed their bags and left!

I didn't have enough Parm. And I thought we had onion powder, but I couldn't find any. So, I took some dried onion and buzzed it in the Magic Bullet blender. Voila! Onion powder!

And then...forgive me. When I was pulling everything off the spice shelf, I ran across the bottle of white pepper. A little demon whispered in my ear, so I substituted the white pepper for black.

The bread has a little "bite" to it!

We're having spaghetti for dins tonight. The bread will be PERFECT for that!

~VOW