Old 04-15-2020, 11:43 AM

Does anyone NOT think Trump is actively hindering COVID-19 response?

It just seems to me that not only is Trump not helping, but he is actually standing in the way of those who do and making their job harder.

Telling the governors to get their own supplies, so they all bid, then FEMA steps in and drives the price even higher.

Tell the governors how many ventilators they are getting, though the requested needs are much higher.

When the governors unite to do what the fed is failing to do, Trump goes on a rampage about how these governors have committed mutiny, and Trump has total authority and will speak to the governors and then decide if he should give his authorization.

Perhaps holding back stimulus checks sent out till Trump's name is printed on them, which appears to be causing a delay, but I guess we have to have priorities.

Not to mention downplaying the pandemic, perhaps defunding the WHO,

This to me is active sabotage the pandemic response. Does anyone not see it that way? Anyone see it as active sabotage however it is for some 'greater good' and agree with his obstructions?
Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM

My impression is his incompetence meant he didn't address the issue until it is too late, now he is looking to shift the blame onto the states and WHO to avoid any responsibility.

Also I think he is hoarding and confiscating medical supplies so he can eventually give them to swing states that will decide the 2020 election.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-15-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:55 AM

Why would he want to sabotage it? A worsening epidemic is exactly what could/would sweep him out of office in November. Nobody has a more vested interest in seeing to it that the pandemic ends ASAP than Trump.

That doesn't mean his response isn't bungled or incompetent. But the notion that Trump wants the pandemic to worsen, is insane.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Why would he want to sabotage it? A worsening epidemic is exactly what could/would sweep him out of office in November. Nobody has a more vested interest in seeing to it that the pandemic ends ASAP than Trump.

That doesn't mean his response isn't bungled or incompetent. But the notion that Trump wants the pandemic to worsen, is insane.
I don't think he wants the pandemic to worsen particularly -- except if it is blamed on democratic governors. Then he does.

He really doesn't care whether people die. At all. What he cares about is whether he can come out of it looking good, consolidate more power, and make a profit. To him it is a meaningless event, like all events, except as he can make it work for his benefit.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I don't think he wants the pandemic to worsen particularly -- except if it is blamed on democratic governors. Then he does.

He really doesn't care whether people die. At all. What he cares about is whether he can come out of it looking good, consolidate more power, and make a profit. To him it is a meaningless event, like all events, except as he can make it work for his benefit.
Pretty much this. to Trump the pandemic itself is a non issue, his only issue is 'whats in it for me'. Will it help or hurt his reelection chances? Will he gain or lose money? Will he gain or lose status? Will he gain or lose power? Thats all Trump truly cares about.

If letting the pandemic sweep the nation and kill millions caused Trump to gain money, status and power, he would do that. If curing it causes him to gain money, status and power, he would do that. Sadly curing it isn't easy, but right now Trump knows massive unemployment is hurting his reelection chances. So he wants to let the pandemic run its course so employment can go up and he will (in his mind) get reelected.

I think right now his plan is to abuse the 500 billion slush fund to gain power in the private industry and save his own businesses, confiscate medical equipment from both blue states (where he can blame the governors) and red states (where he knows he will win anyway) to redistribute them to purple states that he needs to win reelection. Meanwhile he will constantly pat himself on the back while looking for people and organizations to blame. End result, Trump gains money, power and status which is his only true goal during this pandemic.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-15-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Pretty much this. to Trump the pandemic itself is a non issue, his only issue is 'whats in it for me'. Will it help or hurt his reelection chances? Will he gain or lose money? Will he gain or lose status? Will he gain or lose power? Thats all Trump truly cares about.

If letting the pandemic sweep the nation and kill millions caused Trump to gain money, status and power, he would do that. If curing it causes him to gain money, status and power, he would do that. Sadly curing it isn't easy, but right now Trump knows massive unemployment is hurting his reelection chances. So he wants to let the pandemic run its course so employment can go up and he will (in his mind) get reelected.

I think right now his plan is to abuse the 500 billion slush fund to gain power in the private industry and save his own businesses, confiscate medical equipment from both blue states (where he can blame the governors) and red states (where he knows he will win anyway) to redistribute them to purple states that he needs to win reelection. Meanwhile he will constantly pat himself on the back while looking for people and organizations to blame
yep.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Why would he want to sabotage it? A worsening epidemic is exactly what could/would sweep him out of office in November.
Worse in what way? If more people die and the hospitals are overwhelmed, but the stock market recovers because people are out there risking their lives working non-essential jobs, Trump may consider it a positive outcome.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:

You know what's insane? Applying reasonable people's logic to Trump.

There are plenty of people who don't mind watching the world burn as long as the ashes make them stand over everyone else. And Trump is an example of such a person. He feeds on power. A panicked, impoverished population is a weak, easily controlled population. They don't vote. They don't sue. They don't question. They will do whatever you tell them to do as long as you promise them a life slightly better than what they have now. They will fight your wars. They will turn all their money over to you. They will let you do whatever they want to their bodies--and that of their children. They will worship you. See North Korea if you need a concrete example of what I'm talking about.

Trump would love nothing more than to be like Kim Jong-un. I'm sure he would prefer attaining that goal without mass casualties being involved. After all, he wants as many adoring fans as possible. But he doesn't care about people. HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT US. He cares about feeding that huge ego of his. He'll do anything--good or bad--to ensure all eyes are on him at all times.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 PM

That virus shit is a hoax, and it will blow over, even though it's a hoax, when the weather warms up. I heard it from the greatest orange mind.

Last edited by bobot; 04-15-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:06 PM

Also, he was calling it a pandemic before anyone else. This immediately following his calls of it being a hoax. Fucking dipshit.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't think he wants to sabotage it. But he's gotten into the habit of arguing with people he sees as his enemies. So when people form plans to deal with a medical crisis, his instinct is to say they're wrong and take an opposing view.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Also, he was calling it a pandemic before anyone else. This immediately following his calls of it being a hoax. Fucking dipshit.
Saw a meme today:

"If Trump were captain of the Titanic:

1. "There is no iceberg."
2. "We won't hit an iceberg."
3. "I knew it was an iceberg before anyone else."
4. "No one knows icebergs better than I do."
5. "No on could have predicted the iceberg."
6. "We cannot allow an iceberg to stop our ship."
7. "The crew is spreading fake news about icebergs."
8. "Some of you have to drown."
9. "I am the best captain."
Old 04-15-2020, 08:42 PM

I don't think he wants to hinder the response. I think he sees the pandemic as something others let happen just to hurt his big, shiny stock market and make him look bad for the election. Now he's attempting to turn it around by placing the blame on others and trying to make it work for him. I fully expect he's looking at ways to profit from the response as well.

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-15-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't think he wants it to be worse, but that is the result of helping his cronies or big funders to enrich with the free for all for the medical equipment and medicines.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 PM

People on Twitter are saying Trump halting funding for WHO is a good thing.

Some days, I think Democrats and Republicans live in different realities.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Saw a meme today:

You forgot:

10. "I want to reassure everyone that my first priority is making sure that the stockholders in White Star Line are not inconvenienced by this sinking."
Old 04-16-2020, 01:26 AM

All Trump wants is this:
  • People to lick his ass and say he's the greatest human ever.
  • Get re-elected.
  • Make money for himself (and family)
That's all. Everything he does is motivate by only these things. Otherwise, he doesn't give a shit about COVID-19 or running the country, for that matter.

*One possible other: Get back at Obama.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:28 AM

10. The arrangement of the deckchairs is better than anyone has ever seen in the history of this ship.

CMC fnord!
Old 04-16-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Saw a meme today:

You forgot:

The Penguins brought the iceberg here (which goes between 4 and 5)

Last edited by kanicbird; 04-16-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
You forgot:

The Penguins brought the iceberg here (which goes between 4 and 5)
You mean the CHINESE penguins brought the iceberg.