Voting Trump all along 15 6.88%
Voting Trump as your Dem choice lost 1 0.46%
Voting 3rd Party or Staying home as don't like Trump & Biden 14 6.42%
Not Voting/Apathetic/Not eligible but want to vote here 5 2.29%
Undecided 2 0.92%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2020, 09:58 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I knew that would pop up definitionally, but talk to him, see how he functions. It's like my mom - born in late 44 - telling me she's not a boomer despite her tye-die wearing, hippy and disco ways.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I would have been fine with any number of Democratic candidates. I kinda wish Biden hadn't run, so the voters would have not had him as the "eh, he'll do" choice. Instead, we would have had to coalesce around someone new.
I feel that the fact that people turned to Biden indicates we weren't finding a new face to coalesce around.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:36 AM

In many ways except his age, he was the candidate with the best chance to win. His rust-belt appeal to flip back those states Trump won over Hillary is very strong.

His appeal to African-Americans is very strong, stronger than I thought based on the large turn out for him in the primaries and polls from that community.

Then the sadly small turnout of the youth vote for Sanders showed that his candidacy was weaker than I thought. Sanders of course also suffered from age.

Finally Biden plays well with Seniors and may well take Florida & Arizona, this would be a big set-back for Trump.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:23 AM

There is no scenario in which I'd vote for Trump. I thought Biden was the Dems best chance at beating Trump all along. Sanders would have been an unmitigated disaster. I can likely live with Biden as POTUS, but I'm voting third party.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
There is no scenario in which I'd vote for Trump. I thought Biden was the Dems best chance at beating Trump all along. Sanders would have been an unmitigated disaster. I can likely live with Biden as POTUS, but I'm voting third party.
So, if I'm reading this correctly, Trump is terrible and Biden is okay, but you're voting for a third party which helps the terrible and hurts the okay.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
So, if I'm reading this correctly, Trump is terrible and Biden is okay, but you're voting for a third party which helps the terrible and hurts the okay.
But keep in mind, he's a Republican refusing to vote for Trump at least.

That was me in 2000, voting Green over Bush/Cheney.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Hardly invalidated. It is a decent sampling of thise board.

Yes, and there are 66 Million for voted for the democratic candidate- who are watching trump and the GOP falling apart right in front o f their eyes as we speak.
Eight million of those 66 million were in California. Take out the 8 million Dem votes AND the 4 million Rep votes from California, and Donald Trump is the popular vote winner in the other 49 states.

I would trade a million of those California votes for 25,000 votes in Michigan, another million for 50,000 votes in Pennsylvania, and another million for 30,000 votes in Wisconsin. Those are the voters I'm worried about looking for a reason to justify their votes for Trump.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:55 AM
SDSAB

I liked Cory Booker and then, when he dropped out, switched to Elizabeth Warren. Very sorry neither of them went the distance. Joe Biden, for all his many flaws, is 'waaaaaaaay better than the incumbent, and I will certainly volunteer, donate and vote for him.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
But keep in mind, he's a Republican refusing to vote for Trump at least.

That was me in 2000, voting Green over Bush/Cheney.
Not exactly. I'm not a Republican. Stopped identifying as such when Bush the Younger took us into an unnecessary war. By this board's standards, I'm fairly conservative, but most of those graph your ideology type tests will place me only slightly right of center.

I cannot vote for Biden because of his support for an assault weapons ban and other anti-gun measures. If he wins, while I likely will not agree with all of his policies, I can at least accept that he's a reasonably decent man. Put another way, If Biden wins, I will no longer have to be ashamed of POTUS. And rely on control of Congress remaining divided to prevent anything too radical from getting enacted.

Last edited by Oakminster; 04-17-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I cannot vote for Biden because of his support for an assault weapons ban and other anti-gun measures.
You can, but you choose not to because, apparently, you believe guns are more important than all the other issues (including general decency) Biden is better than Trump on. You are free to make this choice, but why on earth would you?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-17-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You can, but you choose not to because, apparently, you believe guns are more important than all the other issues (including general decency) Biden is better than Trump on. You are free to make this choice, but why on earth would you?
In my opinion, support for an assault weapons ban is disqualifying. It's a bright line rule for me. I do not support any new gun restrictions, but not all of them are disqualifying.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, support for an assault weapons ban is disqualifying. It's a bright line rule for me. I do not support any new gun restrictions, but not all of them are disqualifying.
You are free to make that choice -- but why are assault weapons so much more important than decency?
Old 04-17-2020, 12:48 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Letís not get sidetracked on an in-depth fun control discussion, here.

For the purposes of this thread the fact alone is enough.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Isn't fun control what you mods are all about?
Old 04-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I would have expected a lot more "Biden was my first choice". I mean, obviously someone in the party likes him.
Well, I did say he was my 1st choice on who can beat trump, and since that is paramount right now, he is who I voted for. But in a perfect world, vs a decent GOp candidate?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I cannot vote for Biden because of his support for an assault weapons ban and other anti-gun measures.
For fuck's sake, man. I'm as pro-gun as it gets on this board, particularly as it pertains to the "assault weapons" issue. Random examples I can list hundreds more.

Giving up your entire country for the sake of some small hypothetical restriction on guns is insane. This man is the essence of corruption, under the control of our #1 geopolitical adversary, systematically dismantlingly United States diplomatic and soft power throughout the world, ruining our reputation around the world, domestic faith in our country, destroying our institutions, and basically wrecking our country worse than any enemy could.

Even if you want to say "I need to keep my guns to be able to fight against a tyrant like Trump", then first FIGHT TRUMP at the ballot. Besides which, "our" pro-gun brothers who claim to want to fight tyranny, where are they now? Trump said his "authority is total" and he fucking acts like it. Are they stocking up and preparing to fight a fucking insurgency against this tyrant? No, they're fucking cheering him on. Right wing anti-tyranny gun extremism is a sham. Not because it isn't possible for an armed populace to conduct an effective insurgency against a modern military, but because the people who claim to be prepared for such an incident are among the greatest supporters of the tyrant.

You're refusing to cast your vote to fight actual tyranny, in a way that substantially matters right now, so that you could maintain your guns for an unlikely fight against some hypothetical fight against future tyranny that will never actually come because it turns out that most of the people that share your view on this are on the side of tyranny.

I, as a completely certified "gun nut" gun advocate, would never sell out our entire country for what will end up being some minor concessions on guns or nothing, as given the demographics of the country and more pressing matters, gun control is not likely to be a big issue on the table in the immediate future. If you love this country more than you love guns, neither should you.

And we're not talking about "choose between your country and your guns", because total gun bans are not on the agenda. We're talking about saving your country vs some possible hypothetical minor action on guns. This is a trivially easy call, and you are derelict in your duty as an American to sit this one out because of this issue.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-17-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:14 PM

5th for me, after Harris, Warren, Yang and Booker.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Giving up your entire country for the sake of some small hypothetical restriction on guns is insane. This man is the essence of corruption, under the control of our #1 geopolitical adversary, systematically dismantlingly United States diplomatic and soft power throughout the world, ruining our reputation around the world, domestic faith in our country, destroying our institutions, and basically wrecking our country worse than any enemy could.
And we're not talking about "choose between your country and your guns", because total gun bans are not on the agenda. We're talking about saving your country vs some possible hypothetical minor action on guns. This is a trivially easy call, and you are derelict in your duty as an American to sit this one out because of this issue.
I don't often agree with SenorBeef, but I heartily endorse this post. There is a clear and present danger to democracy and if we fail to remove it in November we may never have another chance. We may disagree on guns, we may disagree violently on guns, but can we just put that aside for the next few years? We have to restore a functioning government, then when it's back in place we can go back and debate policy issues. Right now there can be only one issue- do you want government in the hands of fascists or not?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
How dare you try to control my fun??

Old 04-17-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
you are derelict in your duty as an American to sit this one out because of this issue.
I dissent. However, my vote for POTUS is actually irrelevant. My state will go Red no matter what. Nothing I do or say is going to change that. Trump gets no benefit from me either way. Biden would get no benefit from my vote...a vote for him in a state he loses doesn't matter. A third party might benefit if my vote helps them qualify for ballot access/funds/blood magic/whatever.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I thought Biden should have run in 2016 when he was at the peak of power and popularity as the second in command of a popular administration. I know his son died so a grieving process was needed but the cynic in me if I was advising him would have been to run and do it for his son.
I agree. I always thought that was a particularly weird turn of events; coming off of Obama who was reasonably popular, the Democrats went with Clinton, who was a fairly controversial and not widely popular candidate, rather than pull that page from the 1988 GOP playbook and trot Joe out as Obama's heir apparent and someone we are already familiar with and can trust.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I agree. I always thought that was a particularly weird turn of events; coming off of Obama who was reasonably popular, the Democrats went with Clinton, who was a fairly controversial and not widely popular candidate, rather than pull that page from the 1988 GOP playbook and trot Joe out as Obama's heir apparent and someone we are already familiar with and can trust.
Hillary spent 10 years orchestrating her chance to run. This included talking Biden out of running. By all rights it should have been Biden but we got Hillary.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Biden had just lost his son and I think his heart wasn't in it so it was easy for him to step aside for Clinton. Biden cites losing his son and grieving as the major factor and, whatever people might think about Biden otherwise, I honestly doubt he decided to his his son's death as a bullshit excuse and am inclined to believe that was legitimately his thought process.

I personally wished at the time he would run in 2016. He was my first pick for 2020 although I was open to entertaining second choices (especially when he was looking knocked out early in). It wouldn't have been difficult for me to flip to someone else but Biden was the top of my list.

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-17-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:28 PM

Unlike the majority here, Biden was my number one choice as soon as he threw his hat in the ring. I have always seen him as a gentle return to normalcy after the calamity we've been dealing with under Trump. Since Joe is not an extremist, I feel he has the best chance of being effective. If elected, I don't think Warren or, especially, Sanders could have gotten a tiny fraction of their agendas pushed through. Neither would have the full support of their party behind them and they would face unified opposition in Republican ranks. Biden's electability vs the others' is another plus on his side. Trump demonstrated his fear of Joe as a candidate and a desire to run against Sanders or Warren. Do you really think that Trump is capable of reverse psychology on a scale that got him impeached?
Old 04-20-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Biden had just lost his son and I think his heart wasn't in it so it was easy for him to step aside for Clinton. Biden cites losing his son and grieving as the major factor and, whatever people might think about Biden otherwise, I honestly doubt he decided to his his son's death as a bullshit excuse and am inclined to believe that was legitimately his thought process.

I personally wished at the time he would run in 2016. He was my first pick for 2020 although I was open to entertaining second choices (especially when he was looking knocked out early in). It wouldn't have been difficult for me to flip to someone else but Biden was the top of my list.
I agree with you 100% about Joe's honesty in not running in 2016. He just had the emotional shit kicked out of him. I think I would have had trouble voting for him if he had run right after such a personal tragedy. It would have marked him as having the traits of a sociopath, like Trump. Well, on second thought, Trump would still have been the Republican candidate so I would still have voted for Biden. Hell, versus Trump, I think I'd vote for Satan. I think he would be the lesser evil.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I'd have to think about it myself. Satan at least respects the truth in the breach instead of just spewing verbal diarrhea.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Whatever. They'll never let Gen X take the presidency - thy'll skip right over us to a Millennial if they have to.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Whatever. They'll never let Gen X take the presidency - thy'll skip right over us to a Millennial if they have to.
"They" There is no "they".
Old 04-20-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
At this point "they" have decided not to let the young whippersnappers of the Baby Boom be president again either.

ETA nevermind. Trump just sneaks in at the leading edge of the Baby Boom. They would not let the Democrats nominate a youngin this time.

Last edited by DinoR; 04-20-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:08 PM

Since I'm a late primary state I hadn't bothered doing a complete ranking of the candidates assuming (correctly) that it would be all over by the time it got to me. My top preference would probably be Warren, although I would be concerned about her electability, with Biden coming somewhere in the top 5. Needless to say, I'm voting for him in November.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Followup question, how far down the list was Biden for you?
It appears he was about 7th for me. Sanders, Warren, Mayor Pete, Harris, Gillibrand & Bloomberg were all ahead of him.

Here is the full list I think:
Sanders, Gabbard, Warren, Bloomberg, Klobuchar,
Buttigieg, Steyer, Patrick, Yang, Bennet,
Delaney, Booker, Williamson, Castro, Harris,
Bullock, Sestak, Messam, OíRourke, Ryan,
de Blasio, Gillibrand, Moulton, Inslee, Hickenlooper,
Swalwell, Ojeda
Hickenlooper
Bullock
Yang
Klobuchar
Bennet
Then Biden
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 PM

Definitely he wasn't in my top three, probably wasn't in my top five. I was absolutely in favor of Klobuchar, Buttegieg, and Booker over him, likely Gillibrand and Bullock too, and maybe Harris and maybe a couple of others.

Not the first time my top choice(s) didn't get the nomination. I'm sure it won't be the last.

That said, he will most certainly get my vote in November.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I knew that would pop up definitionally, but talk to him, see how he functions. It's like my mom - born in late 44 - telling me she's not a boomer despite her tye-die wearing, hippy and disco ways.
All the people we think of when we think of The Sixties were Silents. (Not very, I know!) The Beatles were born between 1940 and 1943. Dylan, 1941. Grace Slick, 1939. Janis, 1943. Jimi Hendrix, 1942. Jim Morrison, 1943. Abbie Hoffman, 1936. The list goes on.

Sounds to me like your mom's crowd.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:21 PM

Code:
Race/Topic   	Poll	Results	Spread
Florida: Trump vs. Biden	Quinnipiac	Biden 46, Trump 42	Biden +4
Pennsylvania: Trump vs. Biden	FOX News	Biden 50, Trump 42	Biden +8
Michigan: Trump vs. Biden	FOX News	Biden 49, Trump 41	Biden +8
General Election: Trump vs. Biden	Economist/YouGov	Biden 48, Trump 42	Biden +6
Michigan Senate - James vs. Peters	FOX News	Peters 46, James 36	Peters +10
President Trump Job Approval	Economist/YouGov	Approve 46, Disapprove 51	Disapprove +5
President Trump Job Approval	Rasmussen Reports	Approve 44, Disapprove 55	Disapprove +11
President Trump Job Approval	Reuters/Ipsos	Approve 43, Disapprove 54	Disapprove +11
President Trump Job Approval	Politico/Morning Consult	Approve 44, Disapprove 51	Disapprove +7
Bonus is a Dem Senate Candidate is well ahead in Michigan.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
In many ways except his age, he was the candidate with the best chance to win. His rust-belt appeal to flip back those states Trump won over Hillary is very strong.

His appeal to African-Americans is very strong, stronger than I thought based on the large turn out for him in the primaries and polls from that community.

Then the sadly small turnout of the youth vote for Sanders showed that his candidacy was weaker than I thought. Sanders of course also suffered from age.

Finally Biden plays well with Seniors and may well take Florida & Arizona, this would be a big set-back for Trump.
Also Sanders may scare off college educated whites in the suburbs who find the GOPs authoritarianism, racism and rejection of science scary since they find Sanders desire to implement radical change too much. Biden is less threatening to them.

in a lot of ways, Biden isn't threatening to a lot of swing voters (rural whites, college educated whites in the suburbs) which is good. Hillary was threatening (she was a smart, independent woman with a 20 year smear campaign behind her) and it cost her a few million votes that hopefully Biden will pick up.

80% of Sanders supporters have already said they'd support Biden. I don't know if he can get that number up to 85-90% or so, but hopefully he can.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:21 AM

Another good news poll. From Fox News, Biden 46 Trump 43 in Florida. Biden has really pulled ahead in the most important swing state. Florida and almost any other swing state gets Biden elected by the Electoral College.

Please let this momentum keep growing.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Good news, a poll found that voters age 18-29 support Biden over Trump by about the same margins they would support Sanders over Trump.

https://www.usnews.com/news/election...ald-trump-poll

Quote:
The survey, the 39th in the IOP's biennial poll of young Americans, found that among likely voters, presumptive Democratic nominee Biden has 60% support, compared to 30% for Trump. Had Sanders been the nominee, the poll found, he would be ahead of Trump with 62% support, compared to 31% for the incumbent president.

Further, Biden captures 85% support among the group categorized as "engaged progressives," the most liberal segment of young voters, the survey found. That's a better showing than Biden has among other segments, including the "center-left," in which 68% prefer Biden to 11% for Trump. Among "multicultural moderates," 51% favor Biden compared to 36% who prefer Trump. In the pro-Trump "MAGA gen," named for the president's "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan, 80% favor Trump compared to 9% who prefer Biden. The so-called "disengaged" are divided on their choice for president, with Biden and Trump each getting 35% support.
Hopefully they show up to vote.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-24-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
For fuck's sake, man. I'm as pro-gun as it gets on this board, particularly as it pertains to the "assault weapons" issue. Random examples I can list hundreds more.

Even if you want to say "I need to keep my guns to be able to fight against a tyrant like Trump", then first FIGHT TRUMP at the ballot. Besides which, "our" pro-gun brothers who claim to want to fight tyranny, where are they now? Trump said his "authority is total" and he fucking acts like it. Are they stocking up and preparing to fight a fucking insurgency against this tyrant? No, they're fucking cheering him on. Right wing anti-tyranny gun extremism is a sham. Not because it isn't possible for an armed populace to conduct an effective insurgency against a modern military, but because the people who claim to be prepared for such an incident are among the greatest supporters of the tyrant.

You're refusing to cast your vote to fight actual tyranny, in a way that substantially matters right now, so that you could maintain your guns for an unlikely fight against some hypothetical fight against future tyranny that will never actually come because it turns out that most of the people that share your view on this are on the side of tyranny.

I, as a completely certified "gun nut" gun advocate, would never sell out our entire country for what will end up being some minor concessions on guns or nothing, as given the demographics of the country and more pressing matters, gun control is not likely to be a big issue on the table in the immediate future. If you love this country more than you love guns, neither should you.

Wow, I never thought Iíd want to make out with a gun nut before. Thatís how beautiful this post is.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:24 PM

[TABLE]Race/Topic Poll Results Spread
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Monmouth Biden 50, Trump 41 Biden +9
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Economist/YouGov Biden 46, Trump 42 Biden +4
General Election: Trump vs. Biden CNBC Biden 47, Trump 44 Biden +3
Connecticut: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 56, Trump 33 Biden +23
New Jersey: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 54, Trump 35 Biden +19
New York: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 55, Trump 32 Biden +23
President Trump Job Approval CNBC Approve 46, Disapprove 54 Disapprove +8
President Trump Job Approval Economist/YouGov Approve 46, Disapprove 51 Disapprove +5
President Trump Job Approval Rasmussen Reports Approve 49, Disapprove 49 Tie
President Trump Job Approval Reuters/Ipsos Approve 45, Disapprove 53 Disapprove +8
President Trump Job Approval Politico/Morning Consult Approve 42, Disapprove 52 Disapprove +10
Direction of Country Economist/YouGov Right Direction 32, Wrong Track 56 Wrong Track +24
Direction of Country Politico/Morning Consult Right Direction 35, Wrong Track 65 Wrong Track +30
Direction of Country Reuters/Ipsos Right Direction 31, Wrong Track 57 Wrong Track +26[/TABLE]
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM
SDSAB

May the trends continue!
Old 05-09-2020, 11:12 AM
BANNED

Valuable info...?

So obviously these planned votes are very skewed away from Trump and not anywhere near a countrywide "Random Sampling". I'm NOT asking why that is so here, but rather I'm asking- Of what value is this to us since it's not a real measurement of countrywide sentiment?
Old 05-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
So obviously these planned votes are very skewed away from Trump and not anywhere near a countrywide "Random Sampling". I'm NOT asking why that is so here, but rather I'm asking- Of what value is this to us since it's not a real measurement of countrywide sentiment?
Wrong interpretation, I suspected that Biden was only a small minority of the posters first choice and I was trying to confirm it here and at GB. You're reading something completely different out of it.

Last edited by What Exit?; 05-09-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Wrong interpretation, I suspected that Biden was only a small minority of the posters first choice and I was trying to confirm it here and at GB. You're reading something completely different out of it.
Ok... buy why not answer the queston? Of what value is this to us since it's not a real measurement of countrywide sentiment?
Old 05-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Ok... buy why not answer the queston? Of what value is this to us since it's not a real measurement of countrywide sentiment?
No poll on a message board is a measure of countrywide sentiment.

Yet the feature is offered on many boards. It's offered because it's popular. Possibly people like to get an idea of the reactions and views of their fellow posters. Why would that be a problem?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Fun control is a violation of the pursuit of happiness, dagnabbit.

I did not see this poll before, but I would have picked the first option, Biden as first choice. He's been my first choice since day one. Most likely to trounce Chump, and anyone good enough for Obama is good enough for me.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:43 AM

Also didn't see the poll. Biden wouldn't have been my 10th choice (Warren, Inslee, Sanders (my actual vote), then roughly left to right), but he'll be my vote on November whatever-th if he's on the ballot.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
It is probably no value to you, but I explained the value to me.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
[TABLE]Race/Topic Poll Results Spread
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Monmouth Biden 50, Trump 41 Biden +9
General Election: Trump vs. Biden Economist/YouGov Biden 46, Trump 42 Biden +4
General Election: Trump vs. Biden CNBC Biden 47, Trump 44 Biden +3
Connecticut: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 56, Trump 33 Biden +23
New Jersey: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 54, Trump 35 Biden +19
New York: Trump vs. Biden Quinnipiac Biden 55, Trump 32 Biden +23
President Trump Job Approval CNBC Approve 46, Disapprove 54 Disapprove +8
President Trump Job Approval Economist/YouGov Approve 46, Disapprove 51 Disapprove +5
President Trump Job Approval Rasmussen Reports Approve 49, Disapprove 49 Tie
President Trump Job Approval Reuters/Ipsos Approve 45, Disapprove 53 Disapprove +8
President Trump Job Approval Politico/Morning Consult Approve 42, Disapprove 52 Disapprove +10
Direction of Country Economist/YouGov Right Direction 32, Wrong Track 56 Wrong Track +24
Direction of Country Politico/Morning Consult Right Direction 35, Wrong Track 65 Wrong Track +30
Direction of Country Reuters/Ipsos Right Direction 31, Wrong Track 57 Wrong Track +26[/TABLE]
Not to pee on anyone's parade, but one thing we learned from the last election is that state polling matters, and there's unfortunately a dearth of good state polling data.

Additionally, voter enthusiasm matters, and this is where it's going to be really interesting to watch. If you compare Trump against Biden, Trump has the obvious enthusiasm edge. But if you compare the intensity of the pro-Trump vote and the anti-Trump vote, then that is an obvious minus for Trump. Moreover, Biden is not the radioactive candidate that Hillary was. Yes, some of the hardcore Bernie Bros have the same level of animus toward an establishment candidate, but unlike 2016, Trump is not an imagined threat, but a real one and people want his ass out. So that works for Biden. Further still, the Republican party as a brand has very narrow appeal, even narrower than it did in 2016.

For Republicans to win, they have to do two things:

1) Their increasingly fragile core has to hold, and it probably has some cracks that need to be patched up quickly.

2) They have to find ways to really make Biden unappealing to the point of being a toxic candidate. That's going to be hard to do. Not impossible, but difficult, especially with the White House having to devote much of its attention to the current pandemic and economic crisis.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:04 AM

The only candidates I liked less than Biden in the primary were Bloomberg and Gabbard. There were a few of the people who never got any traction that I didn't really know enough about to rate above or below Biden, but all the other major ones I put above him.

If it came down to Warren v. Biden I would've had a tough time, because Warren is my absolute top pick for the White House and my basement pick for electability, whereas Biden is probably the most electable but I had a huge problem with him never dissenting from Obama's participation in both our and Saudi Arabia's war crimes in the Middle East (I also don't think this election truly had an Obama that really was significantly more electable than anyone else so it wasn't a prohibitive factor in my decision). I think I would've come down on Biden because I still think Trump is an existential threat to the country, which is why even though I have major problems with Biden it's not going to feel like a "I have to hold my nose" type election - the choice is still obvious.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:09 PM
SDSAB

Biden's polling advantage is the steadiest in a race with an incumbent running since at least 1944: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/polit...ing/index.html