Old 04-17-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Subnautica - thoughts while playing (spoilers while playing)

OK, so my son and I began a proper play of Subnautica today. Freedom mode is what I think it is called. No eating, no water drinking, no sleep or whatever. Just oxygen and the ability to be killed by animals and plants.

Anyway, I thought with all the advice and recommendations, you guys might want to hear my thoughts and observations as we go.

1. I can not approach the Aurora(our ship) because of radiation. I presume that is a major goal.

2. We have fabricated the following: flippers, scanner, one battery, the air bladder to resurface quickly. We made a knife as well. We badly want the repair tool so we can fix our pod, but can't not find cave sulfur yet. The search for a proper cave is next.

3. Our computer has warned us that the Aurora's radiation is worsening and just before we quit today, we were warned it was going to blow up within 2 hours. My son said, "Uh, it's going to kill us all." My feeling is that if we hide in the pod, we can survive the blast, but if the radiation extends much more, we will be covered in it while in the pod.

We have heard some pretty loud sounds from creatures out there. My son thought it sounded pretty creepy.

I see a lot of things we can not take. Coral stuff and some other weeds and the like. I thought the knife might help, but it does not chip off things like we hoped.

That's about it so far.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:54 PM

(1) Well, look around, but who knows what you might find. And the ship isn't really that far away.
(2) See below.
(3) See point 1.

Hint:
SPOILER:
What you are looking for is actually available in small caves near the start.

More Hint:
SPOILER:
Hear a loud noise? Look around carefully.

Mega Hint:
SPOILER:
It used to be called Crashfish Powder.

Explanation:
SPOILER:
Find a Crashfish and escape before it asplodes in your face, then check the little flower is popped out from. There will be sulfur in there.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:00 PM

Explanation regarding Aurora:

Hint:
SPOILER:
Try venturing closer to the Aurora...

More Hint:
SPOILER:
Closer..

Mega Hint:
SPOILER:
It will explode and become dangerously radioactive once you get too close, but I believe additional scrap has now been deposited into the game world. Who knows what useful tidbits might be inside, though?

SUPER Hint:
SPOILER:
You need some way to protect yourself from radiation. What material help with that?

DUPER Hint:
SPOILER:
You will be able augment a diving suit with lead to create a radiation-resistant suit. All needed materials are available close to the start.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Thank you. I don't need too many tips at this point, so I'll avoid your hints. I just thought I'd share thoughts and reactions since so many fans are on here and I got the recommendation years ago from the Dope.

I should be playing later today. Heading around looking for caves to locate ingredients for repair kit and maybe flashlight.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Note: This game strikes me as a "notebook" game, one where I keep a notebook of goals, things I need, and things I've seen that interest me.

I love games like that. My best "notebook games" have been The Witness(I could publish it), Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, and probably a couple Fallout games.

Taking physical notes is an indication of my kind of game.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Note: This game strikes me as a "notebook" game, one where I keep a notebook of goals, things I need, and things I've seen that interest me.

I love games like that. My best "notebook games" have been The Witness(I could publish it), Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, and probably a couple Fallout games.

Taking physical notes is an indication of my kind of game.
That would be a great idea with this game. I don't have the kind of patience that'd involve, but it would definitely enhance the game and make it a lot less tempting to find a Wiki.

I do have a suggestion, which won't really change your gameplay, but is both a very minor spoiler and a minor enhancement of your experience. If you don't read the spoiler soon, though, it'll be irrelevant:
SPOILER:
When the Aurora is about to explode, watch it. Don't hide in your capsule. You'll be fine.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 04-18-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

We did watch it explode. Too tempting.

I can not find cave sulfur, needed to make the repair tool. I did look it up and saw that it is inside a plant guarded by a fish, but I have yet to see that.

As odd as this made seem, I can not seem to find that many caves. I am very disoriented and I even have the map(fog-of-war style) from the mod. I have 75 seconds of air due to my oxygen tank and I did find one brain coral that allowed me to breathe its air, though it was not in a cave...
Old 04-18-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I can not find cave sulfur, needed to make the repair tool. I did look it up and saw that it is inside a plant guarded by a fish, but I have yet to see that.
Check my hints regarding sulfur - its the first post I made in this thread. Don't worry, I organized them in increasing levels of reveal so you can just click through as far as you feel comfortable.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 04-18-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I actually just found cave sulfur for the first time. Dang, it was kind of obscure for me. It was deep, in a little "cave" if one can call it that.

Anyway, I repaired the lifepod to get secondary systems online. I got a distress call from Lifepod 3, which added a beacon marker to my screen to swim there. 500+ meters away.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 PM

Yeah sulfur is one of the less obvious ones to figure out.

My best general tip is: this is definitely the type of game where you want to look at/click on everything.

ETA: well, not everything if it's really large and alive.

Last edited by DCnDC; 04-18-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:25 PM

Another tip, as you swim around check the lower right corner for a scanner icon. It means you should scan what you are looking at.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Another tip, as you swim around check the lower right corner for a scanner icon. It means you should scan what you are looking at.
Thanks, I think I saw that once. Does it just mean it can be scanned or that it is important that I scan it?
Old 04-18-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I think I saw that once. Does it just mean it can be scanned or that it is important that I scan it?
It means you have not scanned that item before. You really want to scan everything. Thatís how recipes get unlocked.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It means you have not scanned that item before. You really want to scan everything. Thatís how recipes get unlocked.
I am trying to scan everything I can.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am trying to scan everything I can.
Part of the charm for me was reading these biology notes on organisms that had nothing to do with the storyline or gameplay. The attention to creating a vibrant ecosystem is delightful, and right up my alley. Finding something new to scan was like finding a new present under the tree.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Part of the charm for me was reading these biology notes on organisms that had nothing to do with the storyline or gameplay. The attention to creating a vibrant ecosystem is delightful, and right up my alley. Finding something new to scan was like finding a new present under the tree.
I'm enjoying some of the sense of humor in this game. "You have exceeded your normal physical exercise amount by 5000%. Your number one activity appears to be....'swimming'". Very fun.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

My favourite line comes really early, after you find some early resource (copper, I think) when it says "Your chance of survival has just increased to unlikely."
Old 04-18-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
My favourite line comes really early, after you find some early resource (copper, I think) when it says "Your chance of survival has just increased to unlikely."
Yes, I think it said "unlikely, but possible" or something.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm enjoying some of the sense of humor in this game. "You have exceeded your normal physical exercise amount by 5000%. Your number one activity appears to be....'swimming'". Very fun.
Yeah, the humor is the driest part of the game.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, the humor is the driest part of the game.
Hey...I see what you did there!
Old 04-19-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I actually do have a question.

I have seen enough to know that eventually, I will have a motorized swim-helper(you hold it and it pulls you along). So, I would guess based on my experience so far that I have to find parts of one and scan it to get the blueprint.

My question:

If it requires two halves to scan, are there more than two out there in the "world"? Otherwise, isn't it possible you would miss components throughout the world and never gain blueprints to something essential?

Another example: I have found one half of a beacon to scan. It now tells me I must scan one more beacon component. Is there really only one more out there in the whole world? Or are bunches of them out there?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
If it requires two halves to scan, are there more than two out there in the "world"? Otherwise, isn't it possible you would miss components throughout the world and never gain blueprints to something essential?
There are, in fact, dozens of redundant scannable components. Eventually, when you scan them, you just get scrap metal or some other little bonus.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
There are, in fact, dozens of redundant scannable components. Eventually, when you scan them, you just get scrap metal or some other little bonus.
Good, I figured. No way I can be expected to find the exact two scraps of each item needed for blueprints. I figure eventually, I should be able to scan in what is needed for the main items.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

OK, the kids and I all gathered around the TV today while I played. I was able to make the glider machine that pulls us along. I found Lifepod #3 as well.

I'm kind of starting to have to figure out what to do next. I guess we'll just go further and further out...
Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
OK, the kids and I all gathered around the TV today while I played. I was able to make the glider machine that pulls us along. I found Lifepod #3 as well.

I'm kind of starting to have to figure out what to do next. I guess we'll just go further and further out...
out and down...
Old 04-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
out and down...
Down, yes....

I have stayed in the basic area so far. Lots of basic stuff and kelp. Furthest away is probably the Lifepod 3(500M away from my pod) and also about 100-110M down.

I need:

- compass
- rebreather
- flashlight?
- a few other things...
Old 04-20-2020, 11:08 AM

Oh man, I'm jealous. Subnautica is one of those games that would be worth wiping from your memory just so you can experience it for the first time again.

That's why I'm so excited for Below Zero, but I'm not gonna touch it until development is done.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:50 AM

I started playing this recently and I'm really starting to dig it. Kind of like Minecraft but less interaction with the world.

That being said, in this galaxy far, far away has no one ever heard of a fucking spear gun? Interstellar space travel but no one can figure out how to propel a sharp metal rod using air pressure?

This glaring omission sends me into random fits of cursing whenever I get jumped by one of those damn Predator fish that just appears out of the murk. And for a game this benign those fish can really freak you out if you're not paying attention.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:09 PM

They know about guns...

If you pick up and read the background materials, there's a bit about how weapons more dangerous than that survival knife were all deleted from the fabricator's DB after an incident.

edit: that said, it is possible to juryrig a crashfish cannon on the prawn suit.

Last edited by Unpronounceable; 04-20-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
I started playing this recently and I'm really starting to dig it. Kind of like Minecraft but less interaction with the world.

That being said, in this galaxy far, far away has no one ever heard of a fucking spear gun? Interstellar space travel but no one can figure out how to propel a sharp metal rod using air pressure?

This glaring omission sends me into random fits of cursing whenever I get jumped by one of those damn Predator fish that just appears out of the murk. And for a game this benign those fish can really freak you out if you're not paying attention.
When you fabricate a knife, the PDA computer specifically tells you that all weapons except the knife were removed from the fabricator's programming due to an incident.

Yeah, though, a weapon beyond thrashing with my knife would be nice once in awhile.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

The game is pushing me now to:

- Go to the Aurora (I got the radiation suit)
- Explore another Lifepod, this one by a cave according to the message
- Build a Habitat? I have NO idea how this part works, so we'll see how it goes. I don't have the first clue about how to do this.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

After enough time, you might almost start to think that Alterra doesn't have the best interests of its employees at heart.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

So:

I have done a bit of non-spoilery looking around for some tips and stuff and a lot of the info. I sees recommends making a base so I can have a lot of storage space(currently relying on water lockers).

So how do I do that? I presume I need the habitat builder? And then I just aim it somewhere and plunk down a building?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Pretty much. Just experiment. You get all resources back if you deconstruct, so don't worry about messing up. You can just tear it down and start over.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Pretty much. Just experiment. You get all resources back if you deconstruct, so don't worry about messing up. You can just tear it down and start over.
Oh, so you can break things back down? I did not realize that.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, if you can build a Habitat Builder, I'd recommend going ahead and doing so. It opens up some pretty neat stuff.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, if you can build a Habitat Builder, I'd recommend going ahead and doing so. It opens up some pretty neat stuff.
Yes, I think I'll just kind of build the habitat builder, then swim out pretty far away from my lifepod. Put a small base down there and see how well it works out there.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
So:

I have done a bit of non-spoilery looking around for some tips and stuff and a lot of the info. I sees recommends making a base so I can have a lot of storage space(currently relying on water lockers).

So how do I do that? I presume I need the habitat builder? And then I just aim it somewhere and plunk down a building?
I recommend building your first base in the safe shallows right next to your pod. Just build single room at surface level with some solar panels on the roof, put some fabricators, battery chargers and cabinets inside, and expand from there if you want.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I recommend building your first base in the safe shallows right next to your pod. Just build single room at surface level with some solar panels on the roof, put some fabricators, battery chargers and cabinets inside, and expand from there if you want.
Battery chargers? That would be great. I don't know yet if I have a blueprint for that, but it would be great to throw some batteries in a charger and stop making them.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

The ability to deconstruct your base means there's no wrong place to build your first one. If it turns out to be a bad location, break it down and try somewhere else.

Base-building is pretty fun, and opens up a new dimension to the game, IMO.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The ability to deconstruct your base means there's no wrong place to build your first one. If it turns out to be a bad location, break it down and try somewhere else.

Base-building is pretty fun, and opens up a new dimension to the game, IMO.
I played for a few minutes today and got the habitat builder. However, I have no complete blueprints for even a multipurpose room or any other room. I presume those are the default type rooms to begin with.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Oh, so you can break things back down? I did not realize that.
As I recall, resources don't respawn (unless they come from fish/plants) so once you pick up a lump of copper, it's yours and won't reappear in a few days like in many other games. So the ability to reuse resources by breaking things down is quite helpful.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I played for a few minutes today and got the habitat builder. However, I have no complete blueprints for even a multipurpose room or any other room. I presume those are the default type rooms to begin with.
An extremely minor spoiler, and a bigger spoiler. You can avoid the minor spoiler just by futzing around with the habitat builder and seeing what you can do.

Extremely Minor:
SPOILER:
When you first start building, you can build a base that's nothing but corridors, and it's good enough to get started with. It'll be cramped, but solve your storage problems.

Significant spoiler:
SPOILER:
There are a couple of islands that you can swim to. The multipurpose room can be scanned on one of those.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
When you fabricate a knife, the PDA computer specifically tells you that all weapons except the knife were removed from the fabricator's programming due to an incident.

Yeah, though, a weapon beyond thrashing with my knife would be nice once in awhile.
Yeah, I remember that bit. I just can't help but think my little swimmer dude should be smart enough to just MacGyver an improvised spear chucker with all the resources available, blueprints or not. Or at the very least, stick that very useful knife on a long titanium shaft giving me a bit more range as I thrash wildly and ineffectually.

...or maybe I'm just used to being able to murder-hobo my way through most games and am having a bit of time adapting...

Last edited by BeagleJesus; 04-21-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 AM

And a later game note about base construction:
SPOILER:

Once you make your full-sized sub, you can build some of the base parts inside it - like battery or power cell chargers, a radio (for plot developments), a fabricator, a plant bed for food for long expeditions, and most especially storage closets.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...or maybe I'm just used to being able to murder-hobo my way through most games and am having a bit of time adapting...
It's definitely an adaptation, but it's one of my favorite things about the game, that it's very rarely the right approach to be aggro.

That said, losing my shit with the occasional mid-sized predator and stabbing it to death with my chef's knife was pretty therapeutic.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

My son and I just had a huge "whaaaaat????" moment.

I told him I would try to swim out to where our rescue ship(Sunbeam?) is going to arrive and explore the waters in that area.

Shimmering in the distance was a full-blown island. We could not believe it. I screenshotted it before we got to it. We got to it and found a full-blown base/lab type building. I scanned a purple tablet to create and found out that diamonds and ion cubes are a thing.

I currently have it paused with 1 minute in the countdown timer so my daughter(who is facetiming a friend) can come and watch the final minute tickdown. No, none of us believe the ship will actually successfully land and rescue us...
Old 04-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

OK, we watched our rescue come.

1. I knew they wouldn't actually arrive. I mean, come on.

2. My son was the one who said, "The building is moving!" It took me a moment to realize....he's right, the building is like a laser gun.

3. I could not resist taking a picture when the ship blew up. And is it bad that I yelled to me kids, "Watch where its debris goes! We might be able to get stuff from it!"?

Kids loved it. I dove a bit in the water, but a very aggressive animal attacked us. Like, it almost came on land to kill us.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:12 PM

One of the things they patched in during early access was, if you progressed through the plot quickly enough, you could turn off the cannon, and save the Sunbeam. They still don't land, though.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I was worried you were gonna get spoiled about the island and/or the Sunbeam. Sounds like you got those moments exactly as intended!