Old 04-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
One of the things they patched in during early access was, if you progressed through the plot quickly enough, you could turn off the cannon, and save the Sunbeam. They still don't land, though.
I am guessing they have made it impossible to get a purple tablet to enter the facility before that moment. I found the broken one before the gun went off, but it requires ion cubes and diamonds. I just found 1 diamond, have zero ion cubes.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:20 PM

I'm sure you'll find another one somewhere.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I'm sure you'll find another one somewhere.
Oh, no doubt. I have found most things.

I think we will head out to Lifepod 17 at this point. They sent a "snake attacked us by a cave" message a long time ago.

I should probably go salvage their stuff....I mean, see if they are OK.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Oh, no doubt. I have found most things.

I think we will head out to Lifepod 17 at this point. They sent a "snake attacked us by a cave" message a long time ago.

I should probably go salvage their stuff....I mean, see if they are OK.
Spoiler, they're alive, and you're gonna become besties with them! Part two of the game is 100% yacht parties.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Spoiler, they're alive, and you're gonna become besties with them! Part two of the game is 100% yacht parties.
I did just get there and got their datalog. I also went into the cave nearby and drowned due to my own incompetence of not knowing how to get out. One of my few actual deaths in the game so far. Lost some stuff(almost all the gems/resources I collected).

Anyway, I have some thoughts about what to do past this point. Deep sea exploration in some new areas.

Got a weird alien translation message as well. Both my kids thought it was creepy.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I feel a bit like I have hit a small wall of progression:

1. I have blueprints for SeaMoth plans and have all the ingredients to make one. I can't and saw online I have to get a Mobile Base room to make it or store it. I do NOT have those blueprints. Online says in Kelp forest on the floor is a plan, but I have not see one.

2. I would like a battery recharger(I have a one room base). I have never seen a recharger plan and my batteries are running low. I made more to swap out....

3. I'm so weak to damage. Even those little floater guys that guard the sulfur plants kill me if there are a bunch of them. I'd like to be able to "go deeper", but often find that either I get lost(is that pathfinder thing worth it?) or am so weak even minor things kill me.

I haven't received a radio message in a bit. I think the game expects me to progress some. I think the SeaMoth would help go deeper. I have a re-breather.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I feel a bit like I have hit a small wall of progression:

1. I have blueprints for SeaMoth plans and have all the ingredients to make one. I can't and saw online I have to get a Mobile Base room to make it or store it. I do NOT have those blueprints. Online says in Kelp forest on the floor is a plan, but I have not see one.

2. I would like a battery recharger(I have a one room base). I have never seen a recharger plan and my batteries are running low. I made more to swap out....

3. I'm so weak to damage. Even those little floater guys that guard the sulfur plants kill me if there are a bunch of them. I'd like to be able to "go deeper", but often find that either I get lost(is that pathfinder thing worth it?) or am so weak even minor things kill me.

I haven't received a radio message in a bit. I think the game expects me to progress some. I think the SeaMoth would help go deeper. I have a re-breather.
The weakness is just a thing in the game, unfortunately. You'll eventually get around it, but you'll not get much stronger. Your battle cry should be "RETREAT!"

I occasionally used the Pathfinder; try it out to see if you like it!

At the point you're at, making extra batteries is pretty standard. FWIW, later on, you'll have a use for your excess batteries.

Definitely hunt for the Mobile Vehicle Bay plans. That's an excellent next move!

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 04-22-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

One other very non-spoilery bit of advice: check out every single tool/equipment you're allowed to build right now, and work on getting them all made. Some of them will let you progress further.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I am guessing they have made it impossible to get a purple tablet to enter the facility before that moment. I found the broken one before the gun went off, but it requires ion cubes and diamonds. I just found 1 diamond, have zero ion cubes.
Nope - you can actually get through all that - the trick is never fixing or listening to the radio before you're cured. If the timer has started, it'll get shot down, even if you've turned off the gun, because bugs.

Quote:
Aurora survivors, this is trading ship Sunbeam. We've tracked your distress signal, but your ship's left a substantial debris field up in orbit, we can't attempt a landing.
We're gonna have to head home.
We'll send our data to Alterra as soon as we can. Hold on in there. Sunbeam, out.
The rest of the escape plot continues as normal.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I did just get there and got their datalog. I also went into the cave nearby and drowned due to my own incompetence of not knowing how to get out. One of my few actual deaths in the game so far. Lost some stuff(almost all the gems/resources I collected).
The good news is, if you can figure out where you drowned, the stuff will all still be there (well...directly below, because gravity)

Also, you can carry multiple air tanks, and swap them out as necessary - you do have to charge them individually, and it takes a lot of inventory space.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Well, I did manage to find the mobile unit to create the Seamoth and was able to create it.

This triggered a couple life pod recordings. My son and I headed out to one(which was actually 300+ meters down). We could not make it to the lifepod just yet. Got attacked.

I emerged and found a new island, south of our pod. Drove the Seamoth out to it and paused game so my daughter can come watch.

We have recently discovered deep caves, not that far from our pod. Pink plants that kind of glow. I run out of air down there(it's deep for us). Neat and will be returning.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

My son is one of those kids who worries about batteries and power on things. Smart boy, very concious.

The Seamoth is my first device that runs on a power cell. If I make a new one, can I swap it out like I have a couple batteries on regular devices?

(I could almost disable the power draining aspects of things...I get it, but it is less fun to me...)
Old 04-22-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
My son is one of those kids who worries about batteries and power on things. Smart boy, very concious.

The Seamoth is my first device that runs on a power cell. If I make a new one, can I swap it out like I have a couple batteries on regular devices?

(I could almost disable the power draining aspects of things...I get it, but it is less fun to me...)
Yes, you can bring a power cell in a storage locker and swap them out. Of course, that reduces the amount of storage you have on the Seamoth to bring back stuff.

Remember to name your Seamoth. But probably best not to get too attached to it.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Yes, you can bring a power cell in a storage locker and swap them out. Of course, that reduces the amount of storage you have on the Seamoth to bring back stuff.

Remember to name your Seamoth. But probably best not to get too attached to it.
In a storage locker? The Seamoth has a locker?
Old 04-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
The good news is, if you can figure out where you drowned, the stuff will all still be there (well...directly below, because gravity)

Also, you can carry multiple air tanks, and swap them out as necessary - you do have to charge them individually, and it takes a lot of inventory space.
I tried the swap-mulitple-air tanks a few times to explore one of the first big cave systems I found, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. It was a lot of hassle and I still died too many times when I misjudged a return trip. Not long afterward the game provided me with story clues that led me to upgrades and gadgets that made the exploring those same caves almost trivial.

Now I'll still push my luck a little bit when exploring a dangerous new environment, but instead of going too crazy pushing early-game capabilities I'll go back after I have the gizmo that makes it easier or safer.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
In a storage locker? The Seamoth has a locker?
The locker doesn't come standard...
Old 04-22-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Now that you know about power cells, some Subnautica math:

1 fully-charged battery + 1 fully-charged battery + 1 rubber=1 fully-charged power cell.

1 drained battery + 1 drained battery + 1 rubber = ????
Old 04-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now that you know about power cells, some Subnautica math:

1 fully-charged battery + 1 fully-charged battery + 1 rubber=1 fully-charged power cell.

1 drained battery + 1 drained battery + 1 rubber = ????
I'll ask: Does it still produce a power cell for me?

I ask because I believe I tried to remove my battery(4% charge left) from my seaglider and force the game to use it as a battery. I think it did it, but it is possible it used a full battery I had in reserve without me looking.

Does it work? 1% battery still counts?
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

It does. All those drained batteries you have make perfectly charged power cells. Just make sure that you don't have any charged batteries in your inventory.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It does. All those drained batteries you have make perfectly charged power cells. Just make sure that you don't have any charged batteries in your inventory.
Awesome. That's hilarious and wonderful.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Yes, so we had a heck of a day after me saying we were "stuck".

1. I explored an island in the south(ish) area that had three(that we found) bases from previous survivors. Scanned the heck out of everything, including picking up a free purple tablet.

2. Used the information there to find an underwater base. Now this really was the achievment of the day for us. We used the SeaMoth to go down to about 200M. I got out(using the rebreather) and scanned the heck out of what we found there. Deepest and creepiest we've been. Only 250-300M, but still, a huge achievement for us.

3. Of course, my kids wanted me to head back and insert the purple tablet on the "gunner" base and we did. Walked through it, huge structure. Got 3 ion cubes and looked around. Stopped at this point...

Very exciting for the kids and me. A great game.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I went deep into the alien medical(?) and found out that the planet is under quarantine. We have to be disease-free to turn off the gun. This was great

However, we are super frustrated today:

1. A legit glitch. I exited the facility and the Seamoth was gone. Embedded in the beach. I had to use the console to spawn a new one. Totally frustrating.

2. I drove the Seamoth around trying to explore. We hit a warper who warps us out of the Seamoth and has rendered our Seamoth unreachable. Every time I go back to get it, the Warper is relentless. I guess it is gone even though this one is just floating there.

I am not sure what we are going to do. Today has become so frustrating, I'm ready to cheat in the game. I'm enjoying the game, but I am a wimp and it is too brutal. I am horrible spatially as well. When I go down deep, I immediately lose my "cave entrance" point and get lost down there.

It's great, but super frustrating.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:34 AM

Beacons are your friends!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
Beacons are your friends!
Oh, I have beacons. I found the Seamoth, which has its own beacon even. It's just almost ungettable because of the Warper in the area. I swam back, but was immediately warped and killed again. I am naive, but I hoped the Seamoth would be "callable" back to your bases.

And for caves, I do get the idea of beacons, but I have issues with orientation and spatial analysis. I need more help.

I'm borderline about to turn on invincibility, both to damage and drowning.

I'm enjoying the exploring. I'm enjoying the story. I am not sure, even in my wimpy-freedom-mode, that I am up for the challenge of the game. I'm eternally novice at these type of things.

I don't need my kids watch me gradually raging up and up.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, I have beacons. I found the Seamoth, which has its own beacon even. It's just almost ungettable because of the Warper in the area. I swam back, but was immediately warped and killed again. I am naive, but I hoped the Seamoth would be "callable" back to your bases.

And for caves, I do get the idea of beacons, but I have issues with orientation and spatial analysis. I need more help.
For the caves, use the pathfinder tool. Play with it outside of a cave so you see how it works, then you can use it in the cave.

Also, there's another tool I haven't seen you talking about: the laser cutter. Have you made one? Have you used one?

You've got plenty of stuff you can explore without futzing around with the warpers yet.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For the caves, use the pathfinder tool. Play with it outside of a cave so you see how it works, then you can use it in the cave.

Also, there's another tool I haven't seen you talking about: the laser cutter. Have you made one? Have you used one?

You've got plenty of stuff you can explore without futzing around with the warpers yet.
I can NOT find the final prints/scans for the laser cutter, though I have no issue continuing to look. I will try the pathfinder.

I'm a novice at games like this, so pardon my frustration. If I have to flip "god mode" on and off periodically, I will. I am 41 and no have no more issues flipping to "easy" mode sometimes.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I think my main concerns are:

- is there a code to warp my Seamoth to me? I don't need to generate a new one every time I die, but sometimes it gets in a situation where I can't get it. Once, it glitched and once the Warper was so aggressive, I could not get back to it to drive away.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
[snip]

2. I drove the Seamoth around trying to explore. We hit a warper who warps us out of the Seamoth and has rendered our Seamoth unreachable. Every time I go back to get it, the Warper is relentless. I guess it is gone even though this one is just floating there.

[snip]

It's great, but super frustrating.
I feel your pain brother! My current goal is to try and kill one of those warpers in an effort to try and regain some of the self-esteem those stupid fish keep stealing from me. I haven't pulled it off yet. But you know what they say, the 357th time is the charm!

I have found that I start to become anxious as I move toward deeper water and it's only getting worse as I progress. I'm still unsure if this is a positive or a negative but it definitely keeps me coming back.

And be sure to check all of those little white boxes strewn across the sea floor in the starter area for blueprints for the laser cutter.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can NOT find the final prints/scans for the laser cutter, though I have no issue continuing to look. I will try the pathfinder.

I'm a novice at games like this, so pardon my frustration. If I have to flip "god mode" on and off periodically, I will. I am 41 and no have no more issues flipping to "easy" mode sometimes.
I totally get it. At 45 I have so much less gaming time than I used to, and also zero pride invested in my gaming ability.

That said, the game does a really good job at managing tension. I wouldn't want to keep God mode on for too much time, because then the emotion-manipulation goes away.
Quote:
I think my main concerns are:

- is there a code to warp my Seamoth to me? I don't need to generate a new one every time I die, but sometimes it gets in a situation where I can't get it. Once, it glitched and once the Warper was so aggressive, I could not get back to it to drive away.
I see what you're saying. One thing that can be satisfying is to swim up to a warper and wave your knife around like a lunatic. You can't kill them, but you can make them warp away if you hit them. (I think the trick is to swim around them while stabbing blindly at them; they turn slowly.)

I don't know of a code to get the Seamoth back. Seamoths are expendable, though, and it's not too too difficult to build a replacement. But if you need a code, no shame in that game.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I went deep into the alien medical(?) and found out that the planet is under quarantine. We have to be disease-free to turn off the gun. This was great

However, we are super frustrated today:

1. A legit glitch. I exited the facility and the Seamoth was gone. Embedded in the beach. I had to use the console to spawn a new one. Totally frustrating..
I had that happen to me once. It turns out, there are creatures that are designed to zero in and attack the seamoth. Generally it's not too much of an issue, but apparently you can abandon a seamoth and sometimes they will go to town on it and destroy it. So it might not be a glitch.

I did manage to beach my seamoth once. In theory that shouldn't be possible, but there are some glitches in the collision engine, and so it's possible to get your seamoth permanently stuck on a beach. So I went into console mode and started deleting out sand to get the thing free. Most bugs I've discovered in this game are tied to collision and clipping. (Cf. two beacons that got swallowed up in the land. One I never found and the other I was able to dig out from the beach using console commands.)

Warpers are a pain, especially at the point you're at. The first time I encountered one was probably in the same place you did (salvaging a pod, or part of the crashed rescue ship, I can't remember which, but it was salvaging). It warped me out of my seamoth and I had to constantly swim around trying to avoid it. Fortunately, they're slow. And they don't like the knife, so you can get them to screw off for a while with that. But they will become less of a problem with a certain blueprint, which I'll minorly spoil what it does below.

SPOILER:
You will find a weapon that lets you push things. It doesn't do any physical damage, but it sends out a pressure blast. It's really useful at pushing away warpers and other enemies and will also let you push your seamoth off a beach. (Yes, I managed to beach a seamoth twice.)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Most bugs I've discovered in this game are tied to collision and clipping. (Cf. two beacons that got swallowed up in the land. One I never found and the other I was able to dig out from the beach using console commands.)
This is what I mean with the Seamoth. I drove it up near a beach and went into the alien medical base. Came out and the beacon-marker was there for my Seamoth. The headlight was on(weird..). Could not find it until we saw just the power cell or perhaps the rear propulsion part sticking out of the sand. Could not enter it, could not push it out.

As I said, I spawned one but it was still very frustrating.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is what I mean with the Seamoth. I drove it up near a beach and went into the alien medical base. Came out and the beacon-marker was there for my Seamoth. The headlight was on(weird..). Could not find it until we saw just the power cell or perhaps the rear propulsion part sticking out of the sand. Could not enter it, could not push it out.

As I said, I spawned one but it was still very frustrating.
That happened to me once. Beaching the Seamoth seemed like a great idea to me at the time, but not so great after I came back to find it about 2 meters below the island's surface.

I decided that the tides were really weird on this world and that my seamoth had been buried under tons of sand, and I built a new one. But it was annoying.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I'm borderline about to turn on invincibility, both to damage and drowning.
I say go for it. Subnautica is about the exploration and visual reveals and piecing together the story. It's not really about defeating the enemies; those exist more just to pace how quickly you can explore and make sure you get the story in more or less the correct order.

If you don't want to run with them on 24/7, at least don't feel bad about using them to get back on track.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
If you don't want to run with them on 24/7, at least don't feel bad about using them to get back on track.
That might be a really good way to think about it. Subnautica's pacing is designed to elicit certain emotional responses: awe, serenity, dread, terror, laughter, excitement, satisfaction. It does these pretty well. Even the negative emotions like terror and dread are, within the confines of the game, fun experiences.

But it can also elicit frustration, irritation, vexation.

In very small doses, even those aren't necessarily bad. Temporary frustration at accomplishing a goal can make the eventual accomplishment that much more satisfying. But if the frustration lasts too long, or if it's not going to result in satisfaction, it just sucks.

God mode can eliminate some of those negative emotions, like dread and terror and frustration. But in so doing, it can get rid of some of the fun. But used judiciously to eliminate frustration that results in drudgery, it can be good.

(I don't usually use God mode, but I use game guides liberally when I'm getting frustrated.)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Making progress somewhat, though I have flipped on a couple codes here and there.

Found a lifepod way out in the NW area. Found another deep in the NE region. Got a call that they can not help us, but that there is a room on the Aurora with special plans(blueprints) I should get. they gave me the code.

Oh, we were visited by a visitor who said, "Who are you?" and left.

I'm not sure if I should go to the Aurora or not yet. I guess I'm ready for that, but not sure what they expect me to have in there.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if I should go to the Aurora or not yet. I guess I'm ready for that, but not sure what they expect me to have in there.
If you'd like, here's a set of equipment you should take. If you don't want to read these, just know that you can always get stuck, cuss under your breath, go back to your base, and get the gear. Also, if you've got other fun stuff to explore or build, no rush.
SPOILER:
Fire extinguisher or two
Repair tool
Laser Cutter
Radiation Suit
Repulsion Gun

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 04-24-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you'd like, here's a set of equipment you should take. If you don't want to read these, just know that you can always get stuck, cuss under your breath, go back to your base, and get the gear. Also, if you've got other fun stuff to explore or build, no rush.
SPOILER:
Fire extinguisher or two
Repair tool
Laser Cutter
Radiation Suit
Repulsion Gun
Well, I have everything there except the final item on the list. I guess I'll wait.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

The propulsion cannon will work just as well, and I'm not even 100% sure you need it to get through the whole thing.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The propulsion cannon will work just as well, and I'm not even 100% sure you need it to get through the whole thing.
I'm pretty sure the cannon is only needed in two places, and you can go the other way around to bypass them anyway.

That said, the repulsion cannon is generally acquired IN the Aurora.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, looking forward to it. The Aurora has been a goal for some time.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

OK, my thoughts at this point:

1. I went on the Aurora. Had to really navigate around to find the "proper" spot to enter. We went in what I would call the "front". There was a shark of sorts(Reaver?) in the back and no open access there.

2. What I did: I went through the lab, scanned all the Prawn suits(have blueprint), went into the living quarters, gained access to the Captain's Quarters, and scanned the Rocket to take us out of here(more on that in a bit). Many other funny things too, like toys and other datalogs. We found the main black-box room that told us about the planet a bit.

3. What I did not do: stop radiation from leaking out. I do not see a way to do this. After the captains quarters, there was little else to access, so we navigated(at some difficulty), back to the entrance area and I saved an quit. I went "up" a few ramps to a higher level, but see no doors to go into a different section. Did we miss something?

- something mentioned a time capsule as well. Have not seen that.

4. The rocket won't leave if the A.I. detects imminent danger. My guess/feeling is:

- we gotta turn the gun off, which means being cured
- we have ZERO idea on getting cured. Nothing has shown us anything about curing ourselves at this point....
- we gotta stop the radiation leaks? I'm still in the Aurora if that is the case. I really would like a "one and done" experience here.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
- we gotta stop the radiation leaks? I'm still in the Aurora if that is the case. I really would like a "one and done" experience here.
You can stop the leaks, if you brought everything I mentioned earlier. Hints:
SPOILER:
There's a room that has big fat columns and walkways in it, and about half of the room is below water. Look around carefully in that room.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You can stop the leaks, if you brought everything I mentioned earlier. Hints:
SPOILER:
There's a room that has big fat columns and walkways in it, and about half of the room is below water. Look around carefully in that room.
I will go back there. We had a heck of time re-tracing our steps back, but I think we can get to that point easily enough.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Follow up: If curing ourselves is required, are clues coming as to how to do that? I have tried to read most things in the game and have seen zero on that so far.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Follow up: If curing ourselves is required, are clues coming as to how to do that? I have tried to read most things in the game and have seen zero on that so far.
Short answer: yes.

SPOILER:
Clues will present themselves, literally, as the game goes on. The disease will progress, but...
SPOILER:
...it will never actually kill you. You have unlimited time to cure yourself, which will begin the ending of the game.

Last edited by DCnDC; 04-26-2020 at 06:18 AM. Reason: two spoilers contained within. The first is fairly minor, the second a much bigger one.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I turned off the radiation this morning. I guess it was obvious, but we did not realize doors that would not open were often fixable with the repair tool. We went in, found all the radiation leaks, and fixed them.

Hmmm....I read your spoiler and my only guess at this point would be:

- Once, an alien of sorts appeared and said, "What....are....you?" and disappeared
- I wonder with the radiation off, will it reappear and thank us and offer to cure us if we find it?
- I told my kids that while the game is suggesting that all the residents of this planet died, it is possible some lived and moved down below. Perhaps I'm right?

Anyway, we got back to base and no radio messages awaited us. We also have no lifepods to look for, at least none with coordinates or clues sent to us. We can wait around and look around until something happens....
Old 04-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Sometimes, you just have to go wander around...

SPOILER:
There is a point in the game when the radio messages totally stop, and you just have to go explore. Sounds like you might have reached this point. It's a built-in opportunity to collect a large amount of resources and build while expanding your exploration bubble. You want to look for...
SPOILER:
...cave entrances. You mostly want to explore vertically, not laterally.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

It's worth going back over all the data you discovered after entering the alien facility.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I did actually find an entrance that went down. Way down. I guess that is where I need to go. I do see in my PDA logs that there are bases at 800M and 1200M downwards.

Yikes.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I think you're okay with this level of spoiler at this point, but just in case, I'll put two spoilers in tags.

On exploration, a minor spoiler:
SPOILER:
Have you been exploring underwater wrecks, using the laser cutter to cut open blocked doors? There's some pretty good stuff back there.

On crafting, a minor spoiler:
SPOILER:
There are two more vehicles you should aspire to build. Each will change your exploration pretty significantly.