Old 04-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I have a full scan of the PRAWN suit and the Cyclops(including engine). It's really a matter of collecting all the parts to make them and to enhance things in a way that it can go deep. The Seamoth can go deeper than when I got it, but not thatdeep.

I put a beacon down where I was at earlier. I also decided to sneak a peek a bit, dying in the process. Looks like something I've never seen.

1. Green mist.

2. New map on my map mod. Up to now, the map has "fog of war" filled, but the game has had but one map. A new one popped up in there.

We'll see.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
1. Green mist.
Ohhhhh yeah.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:16 AM

When going deep you'll need to take into account food and water. It's a long run back if you start to get low. A thermal knife helps at that point.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
When going deep you'll need to take into account food and water. It's a long run back if you start to get low. A thermal knife helps at that point.
I have a thermal knife because they look cool, but I am actually in Freedom mode, which takes away food and water needs. Thank you, though. I can not imagine the frustration of a long journey "down" and dying from basic health needs.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Excellent - more exploring for you!
Old 04-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a thermal knife because they look cool, but I am actually in Freedom mode, which takes away food and water needs. Thank you, though. I can not imagine the frustration of a long journey "down" and dying from basic health needs.
It's really not difficult to avoid starvation. Food and water are both easily come by and easy to account for on long trips. Not criticizing your playstyle, but hard mode in Subnautica is not hard at all. Hardcore (dead is dead) can be hard, but not because of food and water. Of all the times I've died in Subnautica, it's been running out of oxygen or killed by leviathans or warpers. Maaaaybe once of thirst? Pretty sure not. Certainly never starvation.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:05 PM

Still if you're going for atmosphere and the pleasure of exploring Freedom mode makes a lot of sense. I've only played on Survival mode and had a few instances, before the thermal knife, whwew I had to balance eating raw fish against dehydration. Oh and one time I thought I had water and didn't and had to race to find a kelp forest where I spent 5 minutes eating single slices of kelp (inventory was full). Good memories of a fun game.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, for my play style, the packing a bunch of water for my deep dives was actually kind of fun: it made the long exploratory trips seem extra-special.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
It's really not difficult to avoid starvation. Food and water are both easily come by and easy to account for on long trips.
That actually worked against it on my account. It didn't really add anything to the game besides additional busywork and bookkeeping and eventually I got bored with doing it.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
That actually worked against it on my account. It didn't really add anything to the game besides additional busywork and bookkeeping and eventually I got bored with doing it.
Fair enough. There's always The Long Dark in Interloper mode if you don't want feeding yourself to be easy.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Yeah, for my play style, the packing a bunch of water for my deep dives was actually kind of fun: it made the long exploratory trips seem extra-special.
Having to deal with survival needs also made building the (minor spoiler)

SPOILER:
desalinization machine
so satisfying. I think that, more than anything else, finally made my habitat feel like "home".
Old 04-29-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamatoTwinkie View Post
Having to deal with survival needs also made building the (minor spoiler)

SPOILER:
desalinization machine
so satisfying. I think that, more than anything else, finally made my habitat feel like "home".
Totally agreed! Finally not having to go on a bladderfish slaughter was great.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Totally agreed! Finally not having to go on a bladderfish slaughter was great.
On any of my recent games, I just:

SPOILER:

Farm marblemelons. Half of an indoor grow bed provides you with enough to completely fill your health and thirst. They don't store well for long trips, but grow beds can be built inside very large vehicles.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Update to non-update: We are just trying to build up to the level of technology where we can actually make a big journey downwards.

Trying to play legit, but occasionally I turn on the oxygen cheat so I don't drown after doing something I hate to lose(or more importantly, don't want to get warped back to a base far away).

Will be testing the waters, so to speak, soon enough. Head downwards and downwards and hoping the path makes it clear enough where to go.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Have you built a cyclops yet?
Old 05-01-2020, 04:57 AM

This thread motivated me to play this again. Spent a few hours on it over a few nights. Then I discovered why I gave it away in the first place. It didn’t keep my most recent saved game and I’ve lost an hour or two of game play. I love it, but that is very frustrating. The soundtrack is nice, it’s available on iTunes.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you built a cyclops yet?
Yes, and we are heading downwards today. I'm actually kind of glad to have a map of this region, even more than the "main world". It's kind of disorienting for me.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, and we are heading downwards today. I'm actually kind of glad to have a map of this region, even more than the "main world". It's kind of disorienting for me.
For the most part, the Underground River section (I think that's what it's called) is much more linear than the rest of the game. However, some of the entrances are more straightforward than others, and if you've found a trick one, it can be really hard to navigate through.

Here's a mildy cheaty hint: If you want to mark an area either as explored, or as a path to somewhere important, you can partially build a structure, like a single corridor. It'll glow with that light purple-white light (I think it's purple-white, I can't quite remember) of a partly-built building and will be visible from a distance. Build them every hundred or so meters to make a breadcrumb trail, or build platforms across a dead-end passage that you've already explored. I used this trick a lot in order to save on screen-clutter from beacons.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:52 PM

You want to work on building a Prawn suit. The Cyclops is awesome, and is a great mobile base, but its main purpose is really just to shuttle the Prawn suit around.

On a side note, my one major gripe with the Cyclops is it has a lot of storage lockers on the bottom level but they're surprisingly small and awkwardly shaped. It's a lot more useful just building normal storage lockers on the main level.

I'd have really liked to have had a third vessel somewhere in between the Cyclops and the Seamoth, something with a little more storage and utility than the latter but not nearly as big as the former.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
On a side note, my one major gripe with the Cyclops is it has a lot of storage lockers on the bottom level but they're surprisingly small and awkwardly shaped. It's a lot more useful just building normal storage lockers on the main level.
I think I ended up building a tightly-packed row of wall lockers on the bottom level opposite the built-in lockers, and then putting some garden space up top, along with a medkit generator and battery charger (and, before they nerfed the silliness, a power-cell charger). The game really brings out my inner pack-rat.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Significant spoiler:
SPOILER:
There are a couple of islands that you can swim to. The multipurpose room can be scanned on one of those.
Which one?
SPOILER:
The one with the giant gun or the one where the crew was supposed to meet for extraction? Or are there other islands I have missed?
Old 05-06-2020, 10:56 AM

I believe it's the non-gun island. There are three derelict bases built on it full of stuff to scan.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks, I just found all the stuff. Finally a multipurpose room. I had a moonpool and scanner but couldn't find the room which I had found in wreckage in an earlier playthrough.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:22 PM

If you are just starting a tube, a hatch and a solar panel in the Safe Shallows works great as an interim base. But a locker or two in there and there's no need to build floating lockers etc.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

We made it way down, 1600M or so. To a very deep alien base location.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

There's some fun freakin stuff in that deep base.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Are there any seamoth mods that can prevent it from becoming a Reaper Leviathan chew toy? IIRC from messing around in creative mode there is an electrical shocker or something...does that protect you?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Are there any seamoth mods that can prevent it from becoming a Reaper Leviathan chew toy? IIRC from messing around in creative mode there is an electrical shocker or something...does that protect you?
Yes, it will chase it away long enough for you to escape. But you do have to run for it - the reaper will come back after a few seconds. I think it even works if you're being chewed at the time.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Update:

1. So we have to get the ingredients to make the hatching enzyme.

2. I get that we can warp through the portal gates to get the ingredients, but holy cow, we have a heck of a time finding the right items as we look around.

Anyway, we will at some point make the enzyme to hatch the eggs. We are told this will produce a cure, which means we can turn off the gun(finally!). If we do that, we can build the rocket(got the plans from the Aurora a long time ago). We can then shoot off into space.

If I manage to get cured and turn off the gun, how hard are the material collections for the rocket to leave this planet?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Looking for those ingredients was one of the main ways I used online support. I decided that the online support I got mimicked my excellent recordkeeping while I explored.

The rocket requires a shield generator, which was another item I had never found. I eventually looked for help online finding that as well.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How long does the game take to complete? Granted I am going really slow because I wouldn't venture out at night until I got the Seamoth.

I am about 18 hours in and I just was able to complete the blueprints for the Vehicle Upgrade Console and the Modification Station. I have 3 moderate bases, the Seamoth and a Prawn suit that I have not used yet because I built it in a stupid location. Also, magnetite is gone in all the areas I can scan, I think I found 4 chunks. At this point I don't have a clear direction as to what needs to be done.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update:

1. So we have to get the ingredients to make the hatching enzyme.

2. I get that we can warp through the portal gates to get the ingredients, but holy cow, we have a heck of a time finding the right items as we look around.

Anyway, we will at some point make the enzyme to hatch the eggs. We are told this will produce a cure, which means we can turn off the gun(finally!). If we do that, we can build the rocket(got the plans from the Aurora a long time ago). We can then shoot off into space.

If I manage to get cured and turn off the gun, how hard are the material collections for the rocket to leave this planet?
It's a pretty wide variety of all materials. It's maybe 2-3 times more challenging material-wise than a Cyclops. Nothing overly difficult, except that there are a couple component blueprints you have to have found. One of those blueprints you almost certainly found in one of the alien bases, and the other is the Cyclops shield generator LHoD referenced which you might not have if you missed finding and searching one of the two wrecks it's found in.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How long does the game take to complete? Granted I am going really slow because I wouldn't venture out at night until I got the Seamoth.

I am about 18 hours in and I just was able to complete the blueprints for the Vehicle Upgrade Console and the Modification Station. I have 3 moderate bases, the Seamoth and a Prawn suit that I have not used yet because I built it in a stupid location. Also, magnetite is gone in all the areas I can scan, I think I found 4 chunks. At this point I don't have a clear direction as to what needs to be done.
I recommend exploring in the areas around the various lifepods that you get sent to by radio messages. They are placed somewhat strategically intending to get you to stumble upon certain locations of interest. Also follow up on the messages left by lifepod 2 (Second Officer Keen) thoroughly, and look for leads in whatever you discover by doing that. You may have done some of that already, but I'm being intentionally extremely vague in case you haven't.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think that I have been to all the of the lifepods except for #7. The first time I went looking for it I got my Seamoth crushed by a Reaper. I reloaded the previous save and did not go back to the area. My big mistake there was that I didn't mark it with a beacon. I started carrying a couple after that.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Okay, it's hard to try to give non-spoiling tips without any clear idea of how much storyline you've picked up. Based on you saying you don't have magnetite in sufficient quantities, I'm assuming you haven't found one specific biome that players are pointed at in a couple different ways. I could be wrong about that, however, and you might have been there, but if you've thoroughly explored that biome I would think you'd have a some leads on what to do next. The first way the game points you at this location is by following the information at lifepod 19 (Second Officer Keen) -sorry, I mistakenly identified this as lifepod 2 in my last post - which gives you a second beacon to go to. The area around that second beacon contains numerous bits of storyline information, including hints pointing at the location I'm speaking of. The second is a much simpler clue left by lifepod 17 (Ozzy from the cafeteria) whose messages say that his lifepod is hanging by the edge of a cave system.

If your response to this is, "Oh, yeah, I've been there," then provide a few more details about what you have and haven't found and I'll do my best to point you at the clues you already have that will move you to the next area of interest. Though actually then exploring the area around the actual lifepod 2 (CTO Yu) might lead to interesting results.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I guess that I had not been in the cave near pod 17. I went down there and found some base parts the jelly mushrooms but nothing to move the story along. Did I miss something there or is there another place to check out?
Old 05-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Have you explored the area where the Sunbeam is planning to land? Something in that area gives you your ultimate goal.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah I have been through the base at least to the control room. I don't know how much more there is too it.

There are the caves near pod 3 that I can still explore. And I found some stuff in storage, I am too spread out, that allowed me to make the second Seamoth depth upgrade. I have a couple more places to look around, I am just not sure what I am looking for.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Sigh, we can not seem to find a couple enzyme ingredients. We'll keep looking, but we must be dense. If we can not find them soon, we may resort back to cheating. I pray there is a console command to add them. I'd hate to not make it at this point. We feel pretty proud of how far we've come after such struggles. We want to:

- hatch those babies
- cure ourselves
- turn the &^*^&^ing gun off
- get out of here!!!!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sigh, we can not seem to find a couple enzyme ingredients. We'll keep looking, but we must be dense. If we can not find them soon, we may resort back to cheating. I pray there is a console command to add them. I'd hate to not make it at this point. We feel pretty proud of how far we've come after such struggles. We want to:

- hatch those babies
- cure ourselves
- get out of here!!!!
You have a PDA with you that can take pictures, right? And a scanner that recognizes flora and fauna and in a few seconds can analyze their role in the ecosystem, right?

Then I guarantee your PDA has logged the locations of all the flora and fauna you've ever seen. The game makes it hard to access that file, but fortunately this Wiki has it all.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess that I had not been in the cave near pod 17. I went down there and found some base parts the jelly mushrooms but nothing to move the story along. Did I miss something there or is there another place to check out?
I think you missed something, unless "some base parts" is a significant understatement.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:

- hatch those babies
- cure ourselves
- get out of here!!!!
Increasingly spoilery hints:

SPOILER:
None of the ingredients are far from the primary containment facility
SPOILER:
The alien gates from the facility lead you to biomes of interest to the alien researchers
SPOILER:
The Sea Emperor's aquarium is a pretty unique biome all by itself...

I do wish the game would have given better hints on how to find these, you could go crazy and spend hours fruitlessly combing the sea floor otherwise. Either clues from the alien researchers, or some kind of hint from Leviathan Mama about her favorite places to play and lay eggs... Nothing too direct, just something in line with the other clues the game gives.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Question, spoilered for those who've finished the game. It's not a plot spoiler at all, in case current players are curious:

SPOILER:
What do you think of time capsules? Did you ever encounter one? My first play through I think I found three - one was full of ion power cells and kyanite, which were way too powerful for me, since I was nowhere near requiring them yet. I stuffed them in a locker and forgot about them. I think another had a bunch of vehicle upgrade modules, but by then I had them all already. But that would have been a serious game breaker for someone early in the game - if you have the maximum depth module as soon as you get a vehicle, exploring becomes way too easy. I think the third was just full of random stuff.

I'm almost done my second playthrough, and I'm thinking of filling mine with alien feces and crashfish eggs.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Question, spoilered for those who've finished the game. It's not a plot spoiler at all, in case current players are curious:
SPOILER:
I wasn't a fan of the time capsules at all. Stumbling across a cache of end-game materials sitting out in the open when I was still working my way through the early/mid game just robbed me of the accomplishment of discovering them myself. No, I don't want to see pictures of your cyclops or multi-story base when I'm just setting out in a seamoth, all it does is spoil the end of the game and break the illusion that I'm a lone explorer.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you missed something, unless "some base parts" is a significant understatement.
If there is something in these caves I am supposed to find please just tell me what I am looking for because I don't see anything noteworthy so far.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
If there is something in these caves I am supposed to find please just tell me what I am looking for because I don't see anything noteworthy so far.
There should be something that gives you a waypoint that leads you deeper and further along in the plot. Here's exactly what you should look for, if you haven't found it already:

SPOILER:
It sounds like you found the abandoned base in the Jellyshroom Caves, there should have been several PDAs with voice logs in and around it. One of those PDAs should give you a waypoint for somewhere even deeper that will further advance the plot. It's possible that the game doesn't give you the coordinates until you read or listen to the log from your your own PDA, rather than when you pick up the log.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Big early story spoilers.
SPOILER:
Have you been to the Jellyshroom caves? Lots of magnetite there. If you haven't:

SPOILER:
On the island where you were supposed to meet the other Aurora survivors. there were 3 ruined habitats, where you could scan a bunch of construction stuff - multipurpose room, chairs, desks, etc. There were also several PDAs, in & around the 3 habitats, where you get the history of the Degrasi survivors from a decade-old crash. In one of them, they talked about moving their habitat underwater. When you find that PDA, you get a beacon marker called "proposed Degasi habitat 250 meters". It's in the jellyshroom caves, which are pretty much directly under your initial life pod location. There are 3 or more entrances, all relatively close to your initial lifepod, the closest is like 100 m away. Look for deep holes with pinkish purple mushrooms in them, and keep going down.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post
There should be something that gives you a waypoint that leads you deeper and further along in the plot. Here's exactly what you should look for, if you haven't found it already:
SPOILER:
I don't think he did find the abandoned base. I think he found the couple bits of base parts that are on the other side of the cave. They are, indeed, nothing noteworthy, but it would be rather odd to describe the abandoned base itself that way.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ok. I finally found the base. I had not seen it before but there are a couple other things down there that were base pieces. However, I now have somewhere to go for the next part of the story...
Old 05-11-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
It's a pretty wide variety of all materials. It's maybe 2-3 times more challenging material-wise than a Cyclops. Nothing overly difficult, except that there are a couple component blueprints you have to have found. One of those blueprints you almost certainly found in one of the alien bases, and the other is the Cyclops shield generator LHoD referenced which you might not have if you missed finding and searching one of the two wrecks it's found in.
To piggyback on this: the shield generator is also found in the small bases left by your predecessors, where you end up especially deep. The other recipe is behind the only door that uses an orange key.

The rocket is designed to be built in stages, with the earlier stages requiring easily-obtained materials, and the latter ones being more difficult to acquire. There is nothing new to it, though.

As for the enzyme - four of the required flora can be found behind the portals in the research facility. The last one might be right under your nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post

SPOILER:
What do you think of time capsules? Did you ever encounter one? My first play through I think I found three - one was full of ion power cells and kyanite, which were way too powerful for me, since I was nowhere near requiring them yet. I stuffed them in a locker and forgot about them. I think another had a bunch of vehicle upgrade modules, but by then I had them all already. But that would have been a serious game breaker for someone early in the game - if you have the maximum depth module as soon as you get a vehicle, exploring becomes way too easy. I think the third was just full of random stuff.

I'm almost done my second playthrough, and I'm thinking of filling mine with alien feces and crashfish eggs.
SPOILER:
I think I've only found two time capsules in all of my playthroughs, and neither was very memorable. I usually fill mine with posters and fruit, with whatever pithy "You got this!" bullshit I could come up with.