Old 05-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is there a 'best practice' for dealing with Crabsquids?

And I have to say I love the cuddlefish.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 05-12-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

OK, we hatched the eggs, followed them through the portal(which is conveniently by the gun ship).

It was deeply satisfying to:

- self-scan and come back clean
- turn off the gun successfully

Now it is just build the rocket and....GET. THE. &%($. OFF. THIS. PLANET.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm a little frustrated at this point. I know that I now need the cyclops to proceed any further. I have the engine plans but I am only 1/3 for both the bridge and hull. I don't know where to look anymore....
Old 05-15-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I'm a little frustrated at this point. I know that I now need the cyclops to proceed any further. I have the engine plans but I am only 1/3 for both the bridge and hull. I don't know where to look anymore....
I found most of my scans scattered around the crashed ship...like so close that you could see the ships hull while making the scan. That being said, they were pretty deep (for that area) and I got jumped by that damn fish that looks like the predator a few times before I finally got em all.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 AM

Look around the NW mushroom forest. NOT the one next to the Aurora, but the bigger one to the west of that.

Last edited by DCnDC; 05-15-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thank you for the suggestions. Just curious, do the things I am looking for turn up on the scanner as wreckage?
Old 05-15-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. Just curious, do the things I am looking for turn up on the scanner as wreckage?
No. Well. Kinda?

The most common fragments of the bridge and hull that you can find are strewn randomly about the Mushroom Forest biomes (you get a message when you first enter saying that scanning detects faint Alterra vehicle signatures). There's one just north of the Aurora, and another NW of the Safe Shallows. The latter is home to the giant mushroom tree as well as Lifepod 13 (Jochi Khasar). Bridge and hull fragments are found in both.

They can also be found, less randomly, in a couple of the large wrecks, but not ones that would likely be in range of your base if it's anywhere near the starting position. I only know this from watching speedrunners, and I'm not sure which wrecks they are. I always find my Cyclops bits in the Mushroom Forest.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Is there a 'best practice' for dealing with Crabsquids
I used to just freeze them with the stasis rifle, then kill them with the knife. Purists who say the game's not really designed to have you killing things can stuff it--it's you or them!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
I used to just freeze them with the stasis rifle, then kill them with the knife. Purists who say the game's not really designed to have you killing things can stuff it--it's you or them!
I hatched an egg and it turned out to be a crabsquid. The thing creeped the hell out of me and I put in the bio-reactor. Now, I want another egg to grow.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
It's been a while since I played the game, but I could have sworn the scanner room can specifically scan for blueprint fragments.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:31 PM

I don't quite understand the scanner room. Sometimes I go to use it and there's only 2 pages of items I can search for. I might have to search for "limestone deposits" if I want to find copper ore. Then I go back later and there's three pages of things to search for and I can search specifically for copper ore. Does anyone know what's going on?
Old 05-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
My favorite offensive method uses the prawn suit with a grappling hook in one arm, and the drill on the other arm. Use the grappling arm to set the hook in your prey, and pull it to you (or you to it for the larger critters...) then drill away. This was a really good way to dispatch some of the less formidable predators, and I even killed a few leviathans that randomly clipped into the terrain I bravely wrestled to the sea floor.

However some predators remained a little tricky, even with this technique. Warpers, obviously, just pop away after a good hit, and they'll come back and pop you out of the suit if you're not careful. Crab squid could disrupt the attack with their EMP of course, but they don't have unlimited EMP blasts so they're still vulnerable. But they'll still try to run away if you hurt them enough, which was usually sufficient for most of my exploration.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:40 PM

Also, is there a way to turn off the HUD display for the scanner room other than to stop scanning or removing the HUD attachment from my suit?
Old 05-15-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
I don't quite understand the scanner room. Sometimes I go to use it and there's only 2 pages of items I can search for. I might have to search for "limestone deposits" if I want to find copper ore. Then I go back later and there's three pages of things to search for and I can search specifically for copper ore. Does anyone know what's going on?
The scan speed is very slow, locating a new object every several seconds depending on your upgrades. Without upgrades, the game wiki says it's fourteen seconds to locate each new target. So if you're searching for something super common like limestone it might take literal hours to find every deposit in range. Even worse than that, I think the scan resets whenever you boot up the game, or if your base loses power.

I think there's also some weirdness about how the scan room knows if a certain type of resource is available in range. That also resets, or may be dependent on the objects that were loaded by the game engine as you swim around, I'm not sure exactly.

Eventually you'll find larger material deposits, such that you only need to mine two or three to get all the materials you need. In that case the scan speed is plenty fast even at the slowest level.

Edit:
Quote:
Also, is there a way to turn off the HUD display for the scanner room other than to stop scanning or removing the HUD attachment from my suit?
Not in the stock game. There is this mod, however, which gives you a range indication and also a toggle. https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/32

Last edited by lazybratsche; 05-15-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:49 PM

Old 05-15-2020, 07:54 PM

[Duplicate]

Last edited by Richard Pearse; 05-15-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post
Even worse than that, I think the scan resets whenever you boot up the game, or if your base loses power.
I think this might be it. I have a bio generator at my base with a solar panel for backup power and occasionally let the bio generator run out if I'm on a long expedition.

Quote:
Not in the stock game. There is this mod, however, which gives you a range indication and also a toggle. https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/32
I'm playing the PS4 version so no mods for me
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I think this might be it. I have a bio generator at my base with a solar panel for backup power and occasionally let the bio generator run out if I'm on a long expedition.

I'm playing the PS4 version so no mods for me
I would recommend making thermal your main source of power. I built my main base near that entrance to the Jellyshroom Caves that has multiple lava geysers, stuck a bunch of thermal plants down there, and never had to think about power again.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I forgot to update:

We escaped the planet. A very, very satisfying moment. Hard earned, but it was satisfying to see.