Old 04-24-2020, 03:45 PM

US Presidential Election: what is the weirdest scenario you can imagine

Bearing in mind that what will transpire, being reality, will probably be weirder than what you can contrive.

At present we are looking at two really old guys as the dominant candidates. I think Biden has said that he will choose a woman as a running mate (Tammy Duckworth would yank a lot of chains), so many are saying Individual-ONE will drop Pence for a woman (Nikki Haley, arrgh).

Now imagine that, in autumn, one of the main candidates has an debilitating event, like a major stroke that renders that person essentially ineligible for Oval Office duties. What happens if it happens in mid-to-late October, when the Party has no opportunity to put up a replacement?

Could a man who literally drools in his hospital bed still be able to defeat a crazy person?

What if the event were to happen after Election Day, but before the Electors cast their votes?

I picture a situation in which the Republicans have so rigged the system that they still manage to "win" the election once again, Pence is running the country while Individual-ONE is fully incapacitated, and the electors are being vigorously lobbied by various factions to vote one way or another. They would be pledged to vote for a person who literally cannot take office, but, in most states, the electoral pledge is not legally binding, so most of them can vote as they choose, since they have to cast a vote for President and a second one for VP.

It would be quite a conundrum, to decide whether to choose the elected VP for President, to go with the sitting VP or to vote for someone else entirely.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:52 PM

The notion that Trump would dump Pence is utterly absurd. I continuously see people predicting this and I have to assume that these people are just totally unable to read the pulse of politics or indeed human psychology at all. Pence was perhaps Trump's single most strategic asset in bringing into his camp the people who really would have preferred Ted Cruz. He's also the perfect foil to Trump's emotive, reactive, and boisterous persona - the "gray man" with the poker face who fades into the background, and obeys Trump's every command. It was and remains a brilliant strategic pairing.

There's also absolutely no way in hell that Trump would ever think "Biden is picking a woman, so I'll also pick a woman." That's not how Trump operates. He doesn't give a fuck about pandering to women or people who want to see women more represented in politics. He doesn't care.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:52 PM

The electors, of both parties, are basically party hacks who will vote as they're told. Your scenario envisions slates of electors being elected as pretty much as has always happened. The worst case I can envision is multiple credible accusation of fraud, from both parties, clouding the results of several states. In 2000, we had just one state that had messed up results and people are still arguing over that one.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:39 PM

The weirdest scenario I can imagine is that they actually try to delay, or put off the election. In that case, my fellow Americans, I might just join in my first riot.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:49 PM

Both Trump and Biden die between now and November. Not impossible, IMNSHO.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:27 PM

I have a very rich imagination, so I can come up with many very off-the-wall weird scenarios. However, carefully considering all that have come to mind, and weighing all of the options, I believe that the weirdest scenario is:

Trump is re-elected.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:28 PM

Worst election is: The outcome is truly unknowable. Just too much shadiness. Ballots being tampered or destroyed or never arriving in the mail, a Florida-2000 narrow outcome in multiple swing states, and the Supreme Court has to step in with some 5-4 ruling.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Worst election is: The outcome is truly unknowable. Just too much shadiness. Ballots being tampered or destroyed or never arriving in the mail, a Florida-2000 narrow outcome in multiple swing states, and the Supreme Court has to step in with some 5-4 ruling.
In other words, another Hayes vs Tilden
Old 04-25-2020, 08:45 AM

Well, as long as we're allowing our imaginations to run free:

During a debate, Trump mouths off something insulting about Biden's son or wife and Biden punches Trump in his fat stupid mouth.

K.O.!! Country roars, stands on its feet! Biden FTW!
Old 04-25-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

The weirdest scenario I can imagine:

COVID-19 mutates yet again. The virus, currently causing blood clots in young patients, starts causing selective clots that damage specific regions of the brain. It controls neural pathways in those regions, forming a hyperspace hivemind among all those infected.

These victims form a new shadow political party whose sole purpose is the complete subsumption of our species as hosts for the virus. The president is already infected, and encourages the uninfected to take dangerous and ineffective cures, so that trust in medical science drops precipitously, protecting the hivemind from medical counterattacks.

A benign parasitic hivemind with alien origins has coexisted with our species peacefully and undetected for millennia, causing relatively mild symptoms such as malapropisms and absentmindedness. It sees the COVID hivemind as an existential threat, and it forms an opposing shadow political party. Biden is already infected with the alien parasite, and through him the parasitic hivemind tries to blunt the effects of COVIDmind.

At this point, due to unknown causes, the effect of gravity in our solar system drops by 20%. Trump claims credit, and wins in a landslide.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 04-25-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:10 AM

A not unlikely scenario

1. The Republican party delays the election for one year in order to remain in power

2. The Democrats invoke the Constitution and conduct the election in the House

3, The Joint Chiefs back the congressional election

4. Trump and his camp followers are forcibly removed from the White House

5. Nancy Pelosi is President
Old 04-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Not bad, LHoD, but my weirdest-case scenario starts with the evaporation of a thunderbolt black hole, triggering a precipitation of the false vaccum into a lower energy state, accompanied by a change to all of the laws of physics as we know them.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:04 AM

It will be interesting to see what Stephen King comes up with in a few years.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Nice, Chronos!

Questions like this always remind me of this xkcd.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:11 AM

duplicate

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
1. The Republican party delays the election for one year in order to remain in power

The problem here is that the Constitution species the process as one vote per each state: there are more Democrats in the House, by around 40, but there are more red than blue state delegations.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post

What eschereal said; the House system works in favor of the Republicans, vaguely akin to the Senate or Electoral College. Even though individual (D) representatives outnumber individual (R) representatives, the Republicans control more state delegations (South Dakota wields just as much power as California or New York, under such a system), and would win.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Bad fantasy scenario: Trimp the Chimp finds workable excuse to declare emergency and martial law, detaining all dissidents i.e. opponents, with troops deployed at all local election offices to oversee the shutdown - and fuck the Posse Comitatus Act.

Variants: Trimp's minions work up various excuses. Virus if nothing else pops up. Whichever Kim is in power in DPRK nukes Honolulu, Seattle, or Mar-a-Lago. Deep-cover Mexican agents swarm from the fields and meat plants to overwhelm government offices and armories. Or COVID starts infecting petroleum exports. Yikes! Cancel the election!

Weird stuff: Fiendish residents of the Hollow Earth (it ain't flat, folks) swarm up with even worse results than a Zombie Apocalypse because their brains still work. They steal all the absentee ballots and vote for Sarah Palin, their human heroine. Meanwhile, radioactive fleas infest voting machines and switch votes to Taylor Swift. Few humans complain.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:31 PM

The other issue with the election being postponed is that some 468 Congressional seats are up for re-election: the Democrats in the House cannot protest the legitimacy of the President without also conceding that the House itself is unelected. Only some 67 or so Senators would have a valid claim to their seats, and the Senate is only empowered to select the VP – from the candidates that got the most EVs, so there is really nothing to go on without an election.

There could be a military coup, which is not entirely unthinkable, because there is no shortage of enmity toward Individual-ONE from the Pentagon.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:59 PM

I thought that the president's (and VP's) terms were not necessarily connected to the election?

Even if the election were postponed or nullified, wouldn't the term still end in January 2021? I would think in that event the various succession rules would come into play. If there was indeed no election, I guess there would be no house of representatives (since all their terms ended too) and only two thirds of the senate would still be intact. I think the senior member of the majority part of this remnant senate would become the president in that case.

One wrinkle here is that state governors could appoint new senators to fill these vacancies. Assuming all the governors appoint senators of the same party as theirs, this could give Democrats the majority in the senate. Some governors are up for reelection too and I don't know state elections would be affected by a postponement or nullification of federal elections.

Obviously I'm no expert so don't take anything I say with more than a grain of salt.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabco View Post
I thought that the president's (and VP's) terms were not necessarily connected to the election?

Even if the election were postponed or nullified, wouldn't the term still end in January 2021?
That is what he Constitution literally says. It doesn't say a term ends with the next election; it says the term lasts four years. Trump's term concludes on January 20, 2021.

If no Presidential or Vice Presidential election has been held, then on January 20, 2021, according to the Presidential Succession Act, the Speaker of the House would become the President and would be President until January 20, 2025.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-25-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
If no Presidential or Vice Presidential election has been held, then on January 20, 2021, according to the Presidential Succession Act, the Speaker of the House would become the President and would be President until January 20, 2025.
She'll have to make her way past loyalist guards surrounding the Gilded (formerly White) House. That assumes she escapes alive from protective custody.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:36 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I'm sure Trumpists would lose their shit, but why would she have to go there if it's surrounded by a mob?

Of course, we are assuming she was Speaker. The Congressional term begins a few weeks earlier, so it could be someone else.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-25-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The weirdest scenario I can imagine is that which has been put forth many times but semi-jokingly: Chump loses but insists it was rigged and refuses to leave the White House, necessitating his removal by force.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Both Trump and Biden die between now and November. Not impossible, IMNSHO.
Okay; that two-death scenario isn’t, in your NSHO, impossible. So how about this: instead of Trump and Biden dying in their seventies, Ginsburg and Breyer plausibly die in their eighties — which could, in turn, spark the not-impossible scenario in which a lame-duck Trump swiftly puts up two Supreme Court nominees.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
If no presidential election was held, then no congressional elections would have been held, so who would be Speaker of the (empty) House?
Old 04-25-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It probably wouldn't be the Courts that step in; it would be the House. And Republicans would likely win.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily.

A contested election would have the potential to get weird, and extremely destabilizing and dangerous rather quickly. The Constitution's 20th Amendment says that the vice-president elect would be the next in line if there is no resolution. The Senate - Republican-controlled - would vote for Mike Pence. He would become president until the House, controlled by a Democratic party but for the purposes of this election it's controlled by the Republicans because they have the majority of state delegations. A contested election favors Republicans.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:55 PM

Even under the ridiculous scenario that elections are suspended, legislatures could start appointing their own slate of electors per Bush v. Gore.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:22 PM

nm

Last edited by eschereal; 04-25-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:24 PM

250,000 dead in the USA by the end of August. Trump will sign an EO to 'suspend' the election. If states don't comply, he will declare martial law. What the military might make of this is a bit up in the air.

Oh, that's not the weirdest scenario. That's what I predict.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:45 PM

I don't expect a blunt instrument like martial law; rather, I expect chaos. It's the chaos, sowing doubts about the legitimacy of the outcome, that matters.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
250,000 dead in the USA by the end of August. …
We are probably not going to maintain the current rate of loss. Most likely closer to half what you predict. Which is still a lot – we will all know someone who has been done in by it – but, what is the threshold for extreme measures?
Old 04-26-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
The weirdest scenario I can imagine is that which has been put forth many times but semi-jokingly: Chump loses but insists it was rigged and refuses to leave the White House, necessitating his removal by force.
To me, that's actually the most likely scenario.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
We are probably not going to maintain the current rate of loss. Most likely closer to half what you predict. Which is still a lot – we will all know someone who has been done in by it – but, what is the threshold for extreme measures?
I donno. We are talking about 'opening up'. People are protesting about staying home. No vaccine in sight.

I totally understand that businesses are dying and people are going broke. Looking at the numbers I suspect that the death rate in the US is gonna go up as business re-opens.

Unless... many of us already have/had it with out any real ill effects. We just don't know.

From WHO "There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 are protected from a second infection, the World Health Organization warned Saturday as the worldwide death toll topped 200,000."
Old 04-26-2020, 08:05 AM

Jesus comes to take His people home the day before the election, the rest is left with unanimously elected Trump.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
To me, that's actually the most likely scenario.
Not sure if it's the most likely, but it's probably his best bet to win. The interesting development to watch is not just how the current crisis affect Trump's popularity but the entire Republican party's popularity up and down the ballot. If previously safe senate races begin to look worrying, you might possibly see the GOP abandon Trump. I didn't think this was possible, but the party as a whole seems committed to doubling down on stupid, which could have consequences.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Bad fantasy scenario: Trimp the Chimp finds workable excuse to declare emergency and martial law, detaining all dissidents i.e. opponents, with troops deployed at all local election offices to oversee the shutdown - and fuck the Posse Comitatus Act.

Variants: Trimp's minions work up various excuses. Virus if nothing else pops up. Whichever Kim is in power in DPRK nukes Honolulu, Seattle, or Mar-a-Lago. Deep-cover Mexican agents swarm from the fields and meat plants to overwhelm government offices and armories. Or COVID starts infecting petroleum exports. Yikes! Cancel the election!

Weird stuff: Fiendish residents of the Hollow Earth (it ain't flat, folks) swarm up with even worse results than a Zombie Apocalypse because their brains still work. They steal all the absentee ballots and vote for Sarah Palin, their human heroine. Meanwhile, radioactive fleas infest voting machines and switch votes to Taylor Swift. Few humans complain.
I foresee a successful career in writing for you!
Old 04-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

All the scenarios are weird.

1. Vote by mail is ordered. The election is close, and the errors in the mail system swamp the vote difference and cause the losing party to have a fit, and the U.S. has another 'crisis'. Also, there will be ample opportunity to claim shenanigans on both sides.

2. People are ordered to the polls as usual, but it's the lowest election turnout in history by a mile. The losing party cries foul, and we're back into a 'crisis'.

3. Trump tries to postpone the election, and the other party has a fit. Crisis.

Am I leaving anything out? Exactly what scenario is there that won't end in a contested election and further breakdown of the social order?

Because this next election is not going to be normal, and it WILL be close. Therefore, a contested election is all but certain.

Weird events that could happen include Biden dropping out before the convention for health reasons, and the Democrats parachute in what they think will be a ringer. Someone like Andrew Cuomo or Gavin Newsom, both of whom are experiencing career-high popularity. Trump probably won't dump Pence, but if Trump had a heart attack before the convention, would the RNC pick Pence? We could see another wildcard Republican. The election could be between two people who aren't even on the radar screen right now. Unlikely, but this is the Year of the Jackpot, so anything could happen.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
… People are ordered to the polls as usual, but it's the lowest election turnout in history by a mile.…
historically, that would be a hell of a mile – 1792, when only male land-owners were allowed to vote, yet the turnout was 6.3%
Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I foresee a successful career in writing for you!
I draw the line at smut featuring any of this First Family. Definite libido-killers, there, especially the bestiality. Don't even think of rang-tangs...

Try this scenario: Larry Ellison of Oracle Corp and the America's Cup, billionaire Tramp fund-raiser and all-around jerk scalawag say ex-staffers, funds development of a COVID "vaccine" that impairs cerebral "judgement" functions of recipients. GOP voters are unaffected because no judgement anyway, but liberals and other thinking people are whacked. Internment of dissidents is no longer needed - just dope-em into confusion.

Or this: All presidential contenders who seemed viable in 2019 croak, discorporate, die. Any who try to step in to replace them also die. US Constitution doesn't specify that a candidate be human, merely a "natural-born citizen" of a certain age and residency. A rump Congress (the COVID purge's few survivors) hastily redefine "natural-born" to include cyborgs, androids, AIs, and other quasi-robotic entities. Major parties (Dem, GOP, Lib, Green, Polka) nominate artificial candidates. Ron Headrest throws his virtual hat into the ring. A Disney-sponsored write-in campaign hands an unexpected victory to Minnie Mouse who, at age 92, become the oldest POTUS in history. Seniors rule!
Old 04-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
historically, that would be a hell of a mile – 1792, when only male land-owners were allowed to vote, yet the turnout was 6.3%
I fuess I should have prefaced it with 'in our lifetimes' or 'in the modern era'.

Seriously, what do you think will happen if turnout is 65% in the midwest states, but only 25% in New York, New Jersey, and Illinois, and Trump wins by 1%? do you think the Democrats will accept that?

Or, what if vote by mail is done, Trump or Biden wins by 1 or 2%, and it turns out that millions of ballots either didn't make it on time, or were lost, or have sketchy provenances, or whatever?

Under what scenario does the next election go well? All I can think of is one side has to win by a large margin - beyond the margin of error or cheating. I don't think that's very likely. Since Reagan, winning by more than two or three percent of the vote is damned near considered a landslide.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Jesus comes to take His people home the day before the election, the rest is left with unanimously elected Trump.
That doesn't make sense, that would mean all atheists would be left behind, I don't see them voting Trump
Old 04-26-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Well, as long as we're allowing our imaginations to run free:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Not bad, LHoD, but my weirdest-case scenario starts with the evaporation of a thunderbolt black hole, triggering a precipitation of the false vaccum into a lower energy state, accompanied by a change to all of the laws of physics as we know them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
COVID-19 mutates yet again. The virus, currently causing blood clots in young patients, starts causing selective clots that damage specific regions of the brain. It controls neural pathways in those regions, forming a hyperspace hivemind among all those infected.

These victims form a new shadow political party whose sole purpose is the complete subsumption of our species as hosts for the virus. The president is already infected, and encourages the uninfected to take dangerous and ineffective cures, so that trust in medical science drops precipitously, protecting the hivemind from medical counterattacks.

A benign parasitic hivemind with alien origins has coexisted with our species peacefully and undetected for millennia, causing relatively mild symptoms such as malapropisms and absentmindedness. It sees the COVID hivemind as an existential threat, and it forms an opposing shadow political party. Biden is already infected with the alien parasite, and through him the parasitic hivemind tries to blunt the effects of COVIDmind.

At this point, due to unknown causes, the effect of gravity in our solar system drops by 20%. Trump claims credit, and wins in a landslide.
and others . . .

I was going to come in and posit that Pratchett's Nac Mac Feegle and Lessing's Canopans both show up. The Canopans start trying to, by their standards, straighten us out and the Nac Mac Feegle just wade in shouting. Probably the best hope for the rest of us in this scenario is that the Nac Mac Feegle pull both the Canopans and Trump/Pence out cross-dimensionally and don't bring them back.

It's possible I've already been outclassed.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Not necessarily.

A contested election would have the potential to get weird, and extremely destabilizing and dangerous rather quickly. The Constitution's 20th Amendment says that the vice-president elect would be the next in line if there is no resolution. The Senate - Republican-controlled - would vote for Mike Pence. He would become president until the House, controlled by a Democratic party but for the purposes of this election it's controlled by the Republicans because they have the majority of state delegations. A contested election favors Republicans.
It would get weirder than that if there was no election. The terms of all the House members would be up, so there would be no Speaker of the House or any other members. The Senate would consist of 33 Democrats, 30 Republicans, and 2 Independents who caucus with the Democrats. That would mean that the President pro Tempore of the Senate would be the senior most Democrat. That individual happens to be Patrick Leahy of Vermont. So in the scenario of a postponed election, Patrick Leahy would become the POTUS when Trump's term is up at noon on 1/20/2021. Whether or not he would be actually able to assume the office is a lot harder to predict, but legally he would be the next POTUS in the event of the election being postponed.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I posted this in another thread but I'll use it here:

You have to wonder if there are plans forming for a legal coup within the administration.

Pence, McConnell, and a few other other party leaders get together and decide to invoke the 25th Amendment. They announce that Donald Trump, a man who was a great President a year ago, has now tragically had a breakdown due to the awesome burdens of the job he has done. There's ample evidence they can point to to back up the idea that Trump is mentally incapacitated. Trump gets sent off to some confined hospital to recover (and to be somewhere where people can control his tweeting and other contact with the public).

Pence is now acting President. Most Americans are relieved that a nominally competent person is now in charge. Republicans are happy because they no longer have Trump dragging down the party with him. Pence, as an incumbent, has a much better shot at getting elected in November than Trump has. Pence will reassure evangelicals and business types in a way that Trump can't. And Pence won't personally offend people that way Trump does. He's a much stronger candidate than Trump will be.

Most of the people in the administration will see which way the wind is blowing and will quickly transfer whatever loyalty they had for Trump over to Pence. If they had any principles they wouldn't be part of this administration. And anyone who balks, like Trump's family members, will be reminded that with Trump out of power, Pence now controls who gets pardoned before January.

Trump's voter base might be pissed off but the Republicans can afford to dismiss them. They're not going to turn around and vote for Joe Biden so they don't matter in the election. Trump supporters are only needed to get somebody like Trump elected; Pence can get re-elected with the regular Republican base. A large part of the Democratic platform in this election has been "Anybody but Trump" and Pence can say "I'm not Trump."
Old 04-26-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I posted this in another thread but I'll use it here:

You have to wonder if there are plans forming for a legal coup within the administration.

Pence, McConnell, and a few other other party leaders get together and decide to invoke the 25th Amendment. They announce that Donald Trump, a man who was a great President a year ago, has now tragically had a breakdown due to the awesome burdens of the job he has done. There's ample evidence they can point to to back up the idea that Trump is mentally incapacitated. Trump gets sent off to some confined hospital to recover (and to be somewhere where people can control his tweeting and other contact with the public).

Pence is now acting President. Most Americans are relieved that a nominally competent person is now in charge. Republicans are happy because they no longer have Trump dragging down the party with him. Pence, as an incumbent, has a much better shot at getting elected in November than Trump has. Pence will reassure evangelicals and business types in a way that Trump can't. And Pence won't personally offend people that way Trump does. He's a much stronger candidate than Trump will be.

Most of the people in the administration will see which way the wind is blowing and will quickly transfer whatever loyalty they had for Trump over to Pence. If they had any principles they wouldn't be part of this administration. And anyone who balks, like Trump's family members, will be reminded that with Trump out of power, Pence now controls who gets pardoned before January.

Trump's voter base might be pissed off but the Republicans can afford to dismiss them. They're not going to turn around and vote for Joe Biden so they don't matter in the election. Trump supporters are only needed to get somebody like Trump elected; Pence can get re-elected with the regular Republican base. A large part of the Democratic platform in this election has been "Anybody but Trump" and Pence can say "I'm not Trump."

Although we've been touting this "Someone will invoke the 25th" for three years and it's never happened, this would be a boon to Republicans in three ways:

1. Trump is so bad, he makes Pence look much greater than Pence ever could have on his own. All about contrast.
2. Biden suffers from low enthusiasm among the D's, and it's easier for moderates/disgruntled Bernie Bros to go over to Pence than to Trump.
3. Pence is "only" 60 years old. Compared to the septuagenarian Trump and Biden, he is downright youthful in comparison. He'd be able to exploit the "Biden is too old" narrative better than Trump could.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Not a single one of them has the balls to do it.

All these lifelong politicians are totally cowed into submission by Trump because he has a more choleric personality than theirs. Nobody is going to step up. It's not going to happen.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Although we've been touting this "Someone will invoke the 25th" for three years and it's never happened
Trump's terrible handling of the Covid19 crisis has significantly reduced his chances of getting re-elected.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Not a single one of them has the balls to do it.

All these lifelong politicians are totally cowed into submission by Trump because he has a more choleric personality than theirs. Nobody is going to step up. It's not going to happen.
I disagree. I feel that people like Pence and McConnell and dozens of other Republicans would not hesitate a second in throwing Trump to the wolves if they felt it would preserve their own careers. And any one of them is far more experienced in political infighting than Trump is.