Old 04-27-2020, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

The Electoral College goes rogue and gives the presidency to Vermin Supreme.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I disagree. I feel that people like Pence and McConnell and dozens of other Republicans would not hesitate a second in throwing Trump to the wolves if they felt it would preserve their own careers. And any one of them is far more experienced in political infighting than Trump is.
If they felt it would preserve their own careers.

But they know it would NOT preserve their careers. That's what I mean when I say they don't have the balls to stand up to him. None of the Republicans do. And none of the Democrats really do either, to be honest.

When someone comes along in life who takes whatever he wants, the world is his oyster. Everyone either kisses his ass, or stews in impotent rage. The predator will be rewarded with all of the pleasure and power that he desires.

Maybe once upon a time when the political power structure was still packed with guys who had spent their youths dodging flak in B-17s or watching their friends freeze to death, someone like Trump would have gotten his teeth knocked down his throat a long time ago for presuming that he could set foot into the political arena being the kind of man that he is. But those days are over. The Don Draper, God & Country, flag-saluting America, parochial as it may have been, was a bulwark against guys like Trump. Now the door is wide open for guys with the Trump mentality to buffalo all the pathetic simpering Pences and McConnells into line.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post

But they know it would NOT preserve their careers. That's what I mean when I say they don't have the balls to stand up to him. None of the Republicans do. And none of the Democrats really do either, to be honest.

When someone comes along in life who takes whatever he wants, the world is his oyster. Everyone either kisses his ass, or stews in impotent rage. The predator will be rewarded with all of the pleasure and power that he desires.

Maybe once upon a time when the political power structure was still packed with guys who had spent their youths dodging flak in B-17s or watching their friends freeze to death, someone like Trump would have gotten his teeth knocked down his throat a long time ago for presuming that he could set foot into the political arena being the kind of man that he is. But those days are over. The Don Draper, God & Country, flag-saluting America, parochial as it may have been, was a bulwark against guys like Trump. Now the door is wide open for guys with the Trump mentality to buffalo all the pathetic simpering Pences and McConnells into line.
There's some truth to this, I'm afraid.

I think it's also testament to the fact that a majority of people are too cynical to believe we can reliably elect "leaders" anymore. We don't look to government for leadership of any kind. We assume that they are all, as you put it, 'predators.' I presume that some feel self-satisfied and justified in their cynicism, but the truth is, a democracy needs people to believe in their own ability to make their vote have a meaningful outcome. Increasingly, voting is just a vote of confidence or no confidence, and politics has to go a bit beyond that in order to function.

In some ways, I'm horrified that things have functioned as well as they have in spite of Trump's incompetence. The institutions that have been built up over the better part of a century - and in some cases longer than that - have withstood the repeated attacks against them. For many, it can reaffirm the notion that their cynicism is well-founded, and that we don't really need to care too much about hiring smart, capable people. Sure, those of us who care enough to read the NY Times or ProPublica or CS Monitor can see that the exodus of experts in the federal bureaucracy is having real-world consequences, but for many, the crisis is still invisible.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't see this. Much as Trump likes to imagine himself as an all-powerful dictator, he lacks the capability. He's not Joseph Stalin; he's Mikhail Kalinin. Other Republicans find him to be a useful figurehead but he doesn't hold the real power in the party.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:05 PM

That the Democratic primary would be cancelled. I think Foxnews reported this.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
That the Democratic primary would be cancelled. I think Foxnews reported this.
Which Dem primary? A few have already occurred; I voted in one. Maybe you mean "convention". Consider if Dems hold an online virtual confab while GOPs gather en masse for handshaking, shoulder grabbing, ear-whispering, and other contagion-spreading activities. Then delegates return home to press-the-flesh with constituents. Watch the COVID caseload and death toll spike. Tramp's secret plan (coordinated with the Clintons) to destroy the GOP will succeed!

The weirdest election scenario: Biden wins convincingly and Tramp leaves quietly. An unlikely fantasy, I know, but it *could* happen, right?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I don't see this. Much as Trump likes to imagine himself as an all-powerful dictator, he lacks the capability. He's not Joseph Stalin; he's Mikhail Kalinin. Other Republicans find him to be a useful figurehead but he doesn't hold the real power in the party.
If the Republican "establishment" was truly in charge, Rex Tillerson would still be Secretary of State; James Mattis would still be Secretary of Defense; John Kelly would still be Chief of Staff; there's no way in hell that those guys would have been out the door if Trump didn't hold the "real power in the party."

I know people like to convince themselves that Trump is indeed just a puppet, because it's much more reassuring to think that competent people are holding the government together, even if they're arch-conservative ideologues.

They're not.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the Republican "establishment" was truly in charge, Rex Tillerson would still be Secretary of State; James Mattis would still be Secretary of Defense; John Kelly would still be Chief of Staff; there's no way in hell that those guys would have been out the door if Trump didn't hold the "real power in the party."

I know people like to convince themselves that Trump is indeed just a puppet, because it's much more reassuring to think that competent people are holding the government together, even if they're arch-conservative ideologues.

They're not.
Tillerson, Mattis, and Kelly weren't the Republican Party; they were Trump's cabinet. Yes, Trump can fire his own staff. He can pick what he has for breakfast too. That doesn't mean he has any real power that goes beyond the White House.

Up until two months ago, Trump's inability to lead in a crisis was mostly theoretical. The signs were there but you could ignore them if you wanted to not see them. Now there on the news every night; we're seeing a President melt down.

This is the equivalent of what Carter went through with the Iran hostage crisis and Johnson went through with the Vietnam war and the anti-war protests. It's a drawn-out ongoing crisis and we get to see, day after day after day, that the President doesn't have any answers.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Up until two months ago, Trump's inability to lead in a crisis was mostly theoretical. The signs were there but you could ignore them if you wanted to not see them. Now there on the news every night; we're seeing a President melt down.

It's a drawn-out ongoing crisis and we get to see, day after day after day, that the President doesn't have any answers.
It's not really true though that we're seeing him melt down. Yes, we have press conferences every day, and at those press conferences, Trump manages to stick to a narrative that is frankly going to make sense to a great number of people: that he's doing everything that can be done, that we're continuing to improve testing capabilities, that we're bringing the numbers down, that things are ultimately improving.

He's still the same Trump he's always been, yes - he's constantly saying that such and such is "like we've never seen before" and the same handful of superlatives he uses to describe everything; and he still engages in very petty feuding with the press.

However, he is not melting down, and he does have answers (in the sense that he says things and people believe them.) And honestly, the media (which includes social media) is at this point outright feeding into his narrative of "fake news" by implying that Trump gave people direct instructions to consume poisonous products.

All of this is to say, a hell of a lot of people seem to be prematurely writing off his re-election based on the response to the pandemic.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:18 AM

Some wild scenarios are proposed. I think the reality may be even wilder than some of the predictions.

If the entire election is cancelled and White House and House of Reps become empty, a runt Senate (just the Class 1 and Class 3 incumbents) will be what's left. The Ds have the majority there: 37 to 28, or so. BUT Governors will exert their right to appoint replacements for the Class 2 Senators, making the Senate 50-50 or thereabouts.

OTOH, despite that the national election is cancelled, states can continue to run state elections, so expect much controversy. Not only will there be a runt electoral college, there will be different versions of that college depending on which elections are recognized by whom.

Circles of chaos and chaos. Perhaps two different Presidents will be inaugurated with military force involved to determine which occupies the House at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. The only certainty is that SCOTUS will be called upon to try and settle things. It will probably act 5-to-4 in an obvious partisan vote.

Trump is already denying funding and needed medical equipment to New York. Maybe those predicting secessions or civil war are right after all.

FWIW here are recent Betfair odds for the six (allegedly) likeliest winners of the Presidential election. Betfair punters don't seem to care about the Lysol-injection sarcastic prank:
47.8% Trump
42.2% Biden
2.1% Cuomo
1.4% Clinton
1.1% Pence
1.0% Sanders
(Betfair reserves the right to declare the event void and return the wagered money.)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

1.4% Clinton?

Which Clinton? Bill or Hillary? And can anyone come up with a scenario where either of them becomes President this year? A scenario that's more likely than Pence or Sanders becoming President?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:23 AM

Hillary. BTW, using the Rothschild-Whathisname correction — betting markets over-estimate the chance of longshots — that 1.4% becomes 0.0157% ! (*)

But suppose that Biden is ousted (e.g. by severe illness) before or after the convention. There is no obvious player waiting in the bullpen, unless you think it's Sanders. If a V.P. has already been selected, but is a 1st-term Governor or Senator — say, Whitmer or Duckworth — she'd hardly be a shoo-in for the Big Job.

If the Reds were faced with such a crisis they might turn to Romney, their previous standard-bearer. Similarly Hillary might seem like an obvious choice for the Blues.

I'm not saying this line of thought is correct. Feel free to lay down some bucks at Betfair and make some easy money!

(* - I understand that markets over-estimate longshots, but the Rothschild-Whathisname correction factor seems much too brutal. Lance Turbo — what do you think?)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:32 AM

Okay, THIS might be the weirdest and most unpredictable scenario: trump loses the election and leaves the WH quietly, on schedule, and with a modicum of dignity.

I know: BWAHAHAHAH, right? But get this:

White House nods to possible transition to new president in 2021
Josh Wingrove - Bloomberg - Monday, April 27, 2020

Quote:
The White House instructed federal agencies on Monday to begin preparations in case Donald Trump is defeated in November and a new president takes office in January, a routine contingency ahead of the election.

Russell Vought, acting director of the White House’s Office of Management and Budget, issued a memorandum ordering dozens of agencies to appoint a transition director by Friday, in keeping with the Presidential Transition Act.

The law helps prepare for the potential inauguration of a new president, but is also “helpful to prepare for leadership transitions that occur between the first and second terms of administrations,” Vought wrote.

Each agency’s director will make up the Agency Transition Directors Council, which will meet on May 27, Vought wrote. Its responsibilities include creating a strategy for addressing “interagency challenges and responsibilities” during a transition, and coordinate any transition activities and prepare career staff to backfill certain roles during a transition.
The headline says "White House," but it doesn't say it was trump who set this in motion, it was the Director of OMB. I gotta wonder if trump knows this guy is doing this? And if he finds out, will he call a halt and/or fire the poor schmuck for overstepping, losing faith, and showing disloyalty? Or maybe trump will give in to the the process and let it proceed as it should, urping him out at the end in the time-honored excretory manner.

That WOULD be very weird.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-28-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Imagine both candidates have COVID-19 and are on ventilators. So we are not sure if we are voting on Trump vs Biden or Pence vs Kamala, (just guessing) or some other combo.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:19 AM
BANNED

I was going to suggest "Trump wins and liberals react like civilized adults" but the title says 'unlikely', not 'impossible'.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-28-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I was going to suggest "Trump wins and liberals react like civilized adults" but the title says 'unlikely', not 'impossible'.
sick burn bruh
Old 04-28-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
You support invading countries under false pretenses in order to commandeer their resources. You support torturing prisoners and murdering their families. You support kidnapping children and putting them in concentration camps. You have no business talking about others behaving in a civilized fashion.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:44 AM

Trump dies of a massive stroke, on live TV. Widespread riots by his followers who claim foul play. These people congregating usher in a second wave of infection worse than the first; Pence is hospitalized in a coma. Red staters refuse to accept Pelosi as acting president. Some former confederate states secede, led by South Carolina. When Texas joins them, Pelosi decides to let them go and redefines the borders of the US.

The election in the reconfigured US votes Pelosi in for a full term. Biden is not offered a place in her cabinet.

The Confederacy requests and receives Trump's embalmed body which is housed in a National Mausoleum. He can be viewed and worshipped there.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:15 PM
BANNED

I don't think the President, acting or otherwise, gets to decide either on where the borders of the US are, or whether or not states get to secede. Again, 'unlikely' is different from 'impossible'.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I have a very rich imagination, so I can come up with many very off-the-wall weird scenarios. However, carefully considering all that have come to mind, and weighing all of the options, I believe that the weirdest scenario is:

Trump is re-elected.
I can top that: Trump is re-elected fairly.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 04-28-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
America is the cat. The election is the vial of cyanide. Fairness is in the box. The box is the certainty, and we will never be able to see inside it. We can only be sure of the outcome.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think the President, acting or otherwise, gets to decide either on where the borders of the US are, or whether or not states get to secede. Again, 'unlikely' is different from 'impossible'.

Regards,
Shodan
It isn't impossible. Few things are impossible. Secession is not one of the impossible things. Improbable yes.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 04-28-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:33 PM
BANNED

The dissolution of the United States is absolutely necessary. There is no meaningful cultural connection between the various tribal affiliations and modalities of existence in this strained nightmare prison colony. It's a rigged game that's long since worn out its appeal.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:22 PM

I remember my freshman year of college too.

God, where does the time go?
Old 04-29-2020, 02:51 AM
Suspended

Poseidon (the deity) rises from the Atlantic, beholds the Potomac, says "Fuck this," and sends a cleansing wave. Fox News reports on Biden assault charges for several hours before mentioning the loss of many liberals and others.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:10 AM

Ninja’d by ThelmaLou but:

90% eligible voters cast valid ballots.
Clear result in both popular vote and EC.
All parties accept result.

Even if that did happen, it would be seriously weird.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:19 AM

How About This:

Trump dumps Pence

Trump pulls in Palin as VP running mate

Trump and Palin tour the US - draw huge crowds to raucous rallies

The Republican Convention is all Trump/Palin - No other speakers

TrumPalin looses the popular vote by a landslide but gets an electoral squeaker

21 Jan 2021 - TrumPalin together announce the New World Order
Old 04-29-2020, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
How About This:
Not nearly weird enough unless they attend rallies and convention in gold hazmat suits.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-29-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:38 AM

Trump dumps Pence and names Ivanka as his VP running mate.

Tara Reade recants her allegations and becomes Biden's running mate.

Oprah forms a third party, with Dr. Phil as VP, and wins.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Sorry!

RR - Just checked the OP and have to retract #77. In a Trump administration #77 is not weird

Last edited by Crane; 04-30-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
Trump can be re-elected or he can be elected fairly. But he can't be both.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Trump dies of a massive stroke, on live TV.
How about both Trump and Biden keeling over and croaking during an especially acrimonious debate?

What a lovely free-for-all would result.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
1.4% Clinton?

Which Clinton? Bill or Hillary? And can anyone come up with a scenario where either of them becomes President this year? A scenario that's more likely than Pence or Sanders becoming President?
Sure. Under pressure from the DNC, Biden picks Hillary as his running mate. If they win, sometime in January Joe announces that his health has deteriorated, and resigns. Hillary becomes President.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Unprecedented influencer campaigns sweep Drs Birx and Fauci to victory over Drs Phil and Oz.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The other issue with the election being postponed is that some 468 Congressional seats are up for re-election: the Democrats in the House cannot protest the legitimacy of the President without also conceding that the House itself is unelected. Only some 67 or so Senators would have a valid claim to their seats, and the Senate is only empowered to select the VP – from the candidates that got the most EVs, so there is really nothing to go on without an election.

There could be a military coup, which is not entirely unthinkable, because there is no shortage of enmity toward Individual-ONE from the Pentagon.
Those 67 senators would elect a D Veep who would them become president when there is no house to choose a president. If this produces a president Harris, I, for one, will cheer.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Trump gets sick, really sick, people think he may die. A radicalized Democrat former Fox News employee terrified of the specter of explicit Christian dominionism assassinates Pence. Trump then recovers & names one of his spawn as his running mate.

But Biden actually dies. Insiders cover it up & replace him with an animatronic. This is exposed in the last half of September; the nation freaks out.

A majority of Democrats, disillusioned, turn to the Green Party. But! The Green Party has split into Howie Hawkins & Jesse Ventura factions.

By election day, the two Green factions are outpolling everybody, but no one knows who will win. Exit polls have them neck and neck.

The results come in. Libertarian candidate Justin Amash has won. Because Diebold determines who wins, not you.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
That doesn't make sense, that would mean all atheists would be left behind, I don't see them voting Trump
Look, son, if Jesus says you're his people, he's taking you home whether you believe in him or not.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The Electoral College goes rogue and gives the presidency to Vermin Supreme.
Well, that beat mine.

Quote:
This is the equivalent of what Carter went through with the Iran hostage crisis and Johnson went through with the Vietnam war and the anti-war protests. It's a drawn-out ongoing crisis and we get to see, day after day after day, that the President doesn't have any answers.
What party & what movement benefited from the people losing faith in Carter and Johnson?

Do you think the GOP isn't inoculated against this? Their entire modern identity is based on the assumption that the government cannot manage the country, but instead only the private businessmen who fund the party can. Trump's flailing is a gift to them, a demonstration of their core claim.

The Democrats pretend to believe that competence exists, but they're trying very, very hard to nominate a sleepy old man rather than to demonstrate that they can find competence.

Whether Trump wins or loses, the GOP & its funders are winning the argument, every day.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
[The GOP's] entire modern identity is based on the assumption that the government cannot manage the country, but instead only the private businessmen who fund the party can.
"Republicans insist that government doesn't work. Then they get elected and prove it."
-PJ O'Rourke, conservative humorist
Old 05-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Elephant Whisperer

In a variation of Chump refusing to leave office, he holds Pence hostage in the White House as the FBI digs in for a lengthy siege.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:01 AM

Here's one: The Pope, Oprah, and Larry King all confirm that Biden is a harasser. He drops out and Sanders steps up. Chooses AOC as Veep. Republicans giggle. tRump catches Covid and dies. But with his last breathe coughs on Pence, who dies 2 weeks later. Pelosi is president. Republicans rage and nominate Palin and Newt. Democrats rage and win election. REPUBLICANS heads explode in unison. Bernie and AOC rearrange the social safety net and publish the required tax incrases. Everybody's head explodes. Cockroaches take over, as we all knew they would.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:38 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
In a variation of Chump refusing to leave office, he holds Pence hostage in the White House as the FBI digs in for a lengthy siege.
Didn't we see something like that in BLAZING SADDLES ??
Old 05-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Didn't we see something like that in BLAZING SADDLES ??
Except Chump doesn't have that much to whip out.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
How would Pence work? If you take a hostage, it has to be a person someone cares about.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
How would Pence work? If you take a hostage, it has to be a person someone cares about.
That's a problem. Who in Trimp the Chimp's circle would most Americans give a rat's ass worry about? If he held HIMSELF hostage, the "right" would melt down. Fun.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 AM

(Trump pointing gun at own head) "Stay back or the grifter gets it!"
Old 05-06-2020, 01:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
(Trump pointing gun at own head) "Stay back or the grifter gets it!"
My GOP sister in Tucson: "Oh, that poor man!"
Old 05-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Those 67 senators would elect a D Veep who would them become president when there is no house to choose a president. If this produces a president Harris, I, for one, will cheer.
But. if there is no election, those 67 Senators have no one to vote for. The Twelfth Amendment states the Vice President must be elected by the electors, and it's from the list of those people the electors votes for that the Senate chooses a Vice President if none get a majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitution of the United States
... if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President."
No election, no choices for the Senate to vote for.

The Constitution of the USA simply doesn't have any contingency for there not being an election. It ceases to function if there isn't one.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
That's a problem. Who in Trimp the Chimp's circle would most Americans give a rat's ass worry about? If he held HIMSELF hostage, the "right" would melt down. Fun.
Now I'm picturing Trump up on the White House roof, threatening to kill himself if people don't give him a second term. And Pence is right behind him, saying "No, Mr President, those people are all yelling 'JuhTrump!'"
Old 05-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Trump won't cancel or postpone the elections. Because he'll remain sure he'll win.

Trump has shown he doesn't understand anything unless he can see it right in front of him. So if polls, even the ones he commissions, show that he's not projecting to win, he'll deny the results and fire the pollsters. Eventually he'll find some pollsters who will tell him what he wants to hear.

Meanwhile, Trump will continue to go to rallies, where they'll scrape up a crowd of a few thousand die-hard Trump supporters who will shout his name. Trump will take this as proof that he has widespread support throughout the country.

Trump will dismiss any media reports of Biden's lead as "fake news". He'll say he knows more than any of the so-called experts. So the election will run as scheduled and Trump will be astonished on November 4 when he's told he lost.