Old 04-26-2020, 08:52 AM

Trump forcing cadets back to West Point for graduation

they will all drink Lysol too

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/25/polit...ion/index.html
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

It's a nice bookend to using veterans as guinea pigs to test hydroxychloroquine. He gets them coming and going.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:40 AM

The man's ego knows no bounds.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:03 AM

In a normal year many people skip college graduations and it's no big deal. My son skipped the big ceremony but went to the ceremony for his department. I assume for this skipping is not an option.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Didnít the Air Force Academy have their graduation a couple weeks ago?
Old 04-26-2020, 12:02 PM

yes the AFA did and Pence was there and they kept people 6 feet apart . West point only has 1000 grads so they could do that too but I believe if not for Trump they probably would have skipped it.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
The man's ego knows no bounds.
His intellect, however, could fit in a matchbox...without removing any of the matches. Truly a remarkable American achievement.

Stranger
Old 04-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Will the CiC order the graduating cadets to close ranks, stand shoulder-to-shoulder, for a YUGE! group photo? Will the newly-minted Army officers aka viral vectors then be dispatched around the world to infect forces everywhere? Is the CiC's owner chortling with glee?
Old 04-26-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
My son skipped the big ceremony but went to the ceremony for his department. I assume for this skipping is not an option.
Nobody at the university could lawfully order your son to go to a ceremony or face potential court martial.

Graduation from college is only one of the tasks that happens on that day. Commissioning as brand new Second Lieutenants is a more important task. They need to be sworn in by a commissioned officer. I suppose there is the possibility of doing that remotely and signing digitally. I would want to consult a Staff Judge Advocate before I said for sure.

There will also be routine clearing tasks to perform before leaving their current duty station. Some would seem to work adequately remotely. Some things like turning in any unit property are going to be difficult to accomplish from home.

Then there is the Basic Officer Leadership Course. USMA grads get prioritized for attendance and the summer sees those courses packed almost entirely with West Pointers. Those courses are still happening, the last that I saw. Some of the tasks can see a lot of mitigation measures for the disease. Some just do not happen to standard while complying with social distancing. The cumulative effect of waiving too much of those standards can easily also cause people to die. That is simply the nature of the profession of arms. Within a couple weeks of the graduation date these current cadets will be clustering together at a couple handfuls of training sites where risk is even harder to avoid. Coronavirus is simply an addition to the host of risks of that training. It is not even the most serious risk. The training is the only way to turn these new Lieutenants into trained, branch qualified, and deployable Army leaders, though.

The ceremony itself is only a tiny portion of the events and associated risks that graduation triggers. We should be careful to not think of it just in terms of the piece of the life transition that has a civilian parallel.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:03 PM

There are other things they can do besides court martial to someone who skips the ceremony?
Old 04-26-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
...There will also be routine clearing tasks to perform before leaving their current duty station. Some would seem to work adequately remotely. Some things like turning in any unit property are going to be difficult to accomplish from home. ...
You don't think that they would have taken care of such things before the COVID-related closing? Why not? (My emphasis.)

Trump's ego trip will require, among other things, that each cadet will face a two-week quarantine period.

Quote:
The president announced on 17 April he would be giving the West Point commencement address this year.
According to the New York Times, that came as a surprise to West Point event organisers, who had yet to finalise graduation ceremony plans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In a weekend editorial, the New York Daily News cautioned "there's no reason to believe that New York State, nor the academy itself, is prepared to host a graduation ceremony amidst a pandemic".
...Cadets would be coming back to campus starting in late May and would be subject to a "detailed Covid screening, testing, quarantine, and integration plan", it added.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52434854
Old 04-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
yes the AFA did and Pence was there and they kept people 6 feet apart . West point only has 1000 grads so they could do that too but I believe if not for Trump they probably would have skipped it.
Trump criticized this distancing as political correctness. Turns out, the man is an asshole.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Graduation from college is only one of the tasks that happens on that day. Commissioning as brand new Second Lieutenants is a more important task. They need to be sworn in by a commissioned officer. I suppose there is the possibility of doing that remotely and signing digitally. I would want to consult a Staff Judge Advocate before I said for sure.
The Coast Guard is holding a "virtual" graduation this year. I assume this means that its cadets will not have to gather together, and yet, they have to be sworn into the Coast Guard as well. I assume that they can be sworn in as soon as they report to their duty stations; this could be done with the Army (and, presumably, Navy - Annapolis has made no announcements concerning its graduation yet, other than the traditional "commissioning week" activities like the Herndon Climb have been postponed or cancelled) as well.

Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, please, did I say "please," please have somebody tell Trump that he won't be allowed to shake the hands of the cadets as they receive their diplomas - assuming they're crazy enough even to do that; the Air Force cadets did not, and were not even introduced separately.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, please, did I say "please," please have somebody tell Trump that he won't be allowed to shake the hands of the cadets as they receive their diplomas - assuming they're crazy enough even to do that; the Air Force cadets did not, and were not even introduced separately.
Um, you are aware that as soon as someone tells him not to do something, he immediately does it, right? Like a 2-year old.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

He’s missing his rallies. That adoration is his freaking lifeblood.

I can’t wait to hear what glurge will come spilling from his mouth as he tries to get a cheer from this crowd.
Military is usually conservatives, so it could work for him, who knows?
And they probably, just won’t broadcast his speech if it’s embarrassing anyway.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:57 AM

My next-door neighbor has two children who currently attend West Point. When stay-at-home orders began in most of the country, the cadets were on some sort of semester break that had them scattered around the country at various bases learning stuff. My neighbor's kids were ordered to stay wherever they were until further notice, not to return to school. I need to check with my neighbor to see if that has changed.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:36 AM

I assume the Army pays for them to fly or drive back? I know they pay for the 2 weeks of food they will eat.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
My next-door neighbor has two children who currently attend West Point. When stay-at-home orders began in most of the country, the cadets were on some sort of semester break that had them scattered around the country at various bases learning stuff. My neighbor's kids were ordered to stay wherever they were until further notice, not to return to school. I need to check with my neighbor to see if that has changed.
Do let us know what you find out. I'm curious. Also wondering if the request (command?) for them to return gives any rationale for disregarding their personal safety (although I'm sure it won't be stated to bluntly).
Old 04-27-2020, 06:59 PM

Retired Army general and West Point alum and father of an alum says the graduation should not be held.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/opini...ing/index.html
Old 04-29-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Do let us know what you find out. I'm curious. Also wondering if the request (command?) for them to return gives any rationale for disregarding their personal safety (although I'm sure it won't be stated to bluntly).
I talked to my neighbor last night. The one who is graduating has to go back. His other cadet, who just finished her second year, doesn't know when she'll be able or ordered to go back.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I talked to my neighbor last night. The one who is graduating has to go back. His other cadet, who just finished her second year, doesn't know when she'll be able or ordered to go back.
Your neighbor has two kids at West Point? Wow.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Your neighbor has two kids at West Point? Wow.
She's a West Point grad and a retired colonel. He left the Air Force when their first child was born to stay at home with the kids. They are proud parents and nice neighbors. They moved in to the house next door when she retired two years ago. She was born here, still has family here. Here being Chillicothe, Ohio.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
She's a West Point grad and a retired colonel. He left the Air Force when their first child was born to stay at home with the kids. They are proud parents and nice neighbors. They moved in to the house next door when she retired two years ago. She was born here, still has family here. Here being Chillicothe, Ohio.
I see potential for a CBS television series...
Old 05-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Heís missing his rallies. That adoration is his freaking lifeblood.

I canít wait to hear what glurge will come spilling from his mouth as he tries to get a cheer from this crowd.
Military is usually conservatives, so it could work for him, who knows?
The military is less conservative than most civilians realize -- the officer corps less than the enlisted. They're just people, after all.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:13 AM

Air Force pilots don't always vote R. Some of them are simply there for 6 years so they can get a nice job with a big airline. Same for Navy pilots. Army chopper pilots can go to work for air ambulance services and similar jobs. Air ambulances became popular because of all the Army vets who were trained to fly choppers in Vietnam.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
There are other things they can do besides court martial to someone who skips the ceremony?
A court martial isnít enough?
Old 05-01-2020, 01:11 PM

I mean lesser than a court martial, not more than that.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I mean lesser than a court martial, not more than that.
There is Non-Judicial Punishment, NJP.