Old 04-29-2020, 02:10 PM

Looking for a good recent-ish co-op PC game. (Not a shooter)

My wife got a new computer on par with mine so she can now play the newest titles. We're looking to play something together that we haven't played before. It can't be a shooter, and we're over MMO's a genre. She fired up Diablo III which we've played the shit out of and I want something new.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:24 PM

Portal 2
Old 04-29-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are amazing.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Torchlight 3 is supposed to be out sometime this year.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 PM

There's a number of coop games out there, are there genres you won't play? Before I make more suggestions, having some parameters would be lovely.

Let me throw something a little off-kilter for you: "Tick Tock: A Tale for Two". Cooperative puzzle-solving game.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Don't Starve Together
Old 04-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acierocolotl View Post
There's a number of coop games out there, are there genres you won't play? Before I make more suggestions, having some parameters would be lovely.

Let me throw something a little off-kilter for you: "Tick Tock: A Tale for Two". Cooperative puzzle-solving game.
Other than shooters (which she is not into), not really? I would say we are most attracted to fantasy. So Diablo-like, but not Diablo itself. Divinity: Original Sin piqued my interest until I found out it was turn-based, which I'm not into.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Other than shooters (which she is not into), not really? I would say we are most attracted to fantasy. So Diablo-like, but not Diablo itself. Divinity: Original Sin piqued my interest until I found out it was turn-based, which I'm not into.
Have you checked out Path of Exile? It's about as Diablo-like as you can get, and it's free.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acierocolotl View Post

If I buy that on Steam, do I have to buy another copy on my Ipad or phone? Or does one purchase come with multiple licenses so my wife can play along without another buy?

Looks neat.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Have you checked out Path of Exile? It's about as Diablo-like as you can get, and it's free.
Or Grim Dawn, which I'm playing now. I couldn't get in to Path of Exile for some reason.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
That's too bad, Divinity: Original Sin was pretty good and D:OS2 was exceptionally good. Only the combats are turn-based and they encourage some out-of-the-box thinking. Since, at most, you'll only be running two to four characters between all players, capable of about 2 actions a round on average, so the turns don't take very long either. (Also if you want to be evil, you can be reaaaaally evil.)

Tentatively, I'm suggesting Spellforce 3, with a caveat that I only played the original, Spellforce 1. It's a combination classic RTS with occasional "adventure" maps. Since you've played ARPGs, these won't be unfamiliar to you.

My wife and I also had a lot of fun with "Knights and Bikes" and "Monster Hunter: World". The former is awfully cute and it's not hard at all. The latter is a third-person game that rewards patience and timing over frantic action.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
If I buy that on Steam, do I have to buy another copy on my Ipad or phone? Or does one purchase come with multiple licenses so my wife can play along without another buy?

Looks neat.
There are individuals who have figured out a way to get by with one copy on Steam. I couldn't really say, as we both bought one. The expectation seems to be for two purchases, however.

I did read that you can play it on different devices, though. One of you can be on the PC and another on mobile.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:58 AM

Path of Exile https://www.pathofexile.com/game It is better than Diablo 3 in my opinion. Plus, it is free.

GTA 5 is fun, if you like GTA games.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Another two quite different and somewhat funny and frantic coop games are Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Overcooked 2.

Maybe watch some Let’s Plays for them first?
Old 05-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Stardew Valley is now multiplayer. I haven't tried a multiplayer game, but it's one of the best games of the past several years, and might be worth a try.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Stardew Valley has been multiplayer for a while now. And "best" is always nebulous, but it's definitely the most relaxing game you're going to find. It's tough to be angry or upset or riled when you're watering parsnips and giving away dandelions.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:48 AM

If you like light hearted collectibles everywhere, not very challenging games maybe the lego games might work? They're silly fun and relaxing to play. Been doing that with my 6yo so it definitely might not be your thing. But, it supports local coop, so you only need to buy one copy, and you can use Steam's remote play together feature to play them on separate PC's. It works with a lot of games where there's local coop but not online multiplayer, so it might open up some more possibilities for you guys.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 05-14-2020 at 10:51 AM.