Old 05-03-2020, 08:54 PM

Stupid little movies you love from the 90's-early 2000's

Not even guilty pleasure...just love

U-571. I don't care about the historical complaints. No one said it wasn't fiction. Fast-paced. Great cast. Subverts a lot of expectations as far as the cast goes.

Passenger 57. I'm pretty sure these are the only two movies from the time I've listed and they both have 57 in the title. Anyway....just fun. And whats the runtime? Like 70 minutes? Doesn't dawdle.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:58 PM

Blair Witch Project. I thought it was incredibly realistic. I found it in a VHS discount bin years after its release, and I didn't expect much from it. But dayum!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) a very funny stupid little movie. From the company that brought you "Zombies of Mora Tau" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

Last edited by blondebear; 05-03-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:38 PM

Magnolia. I walked out of the theater shaking.

I think Tom Cruise is a weirdo, but after that movie, I can't bring myself to dislike him.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:37 PM

Butterfly effect. I like the idea of changing the past, and liked the idea that everything he tries fails or makes it worse in some way.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:44 PM

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I LOVE this movie. I don't even know why. It's pretty silly. But fun.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:57 PM

evolution it's just a funny dumb comedy with some people who were famous for other things ......
the funniest thing was I was telling my friend I went with " you know "a big star" should be in this and not 2 minutes later he showed up for a medium-small part that about 8 scenes total

we laughed and people thought we were laughing at the movie .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-03-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:01 AM

ack forgot to do this

SPOILER:
it was dan Akroyd playing the governor
Old 05-04-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I LOVE this movie. I don't even know why. It's pretty silly. But fun.
Ditto! It's a classic!
Old 05-04-2020, 01:47 AM

Pleasantville.

Another huge favorite of mine, probably since Roscoe Lee Jones narrates, Little Children.

Last edited by Locrian; 05-04-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:00 AM
I was curious...

The Rock. Yes, it's ridiculous, yes, it has as many action movie cliches as they could squeeze in, yes it has Nicolas Cage. But I love the corny lines and the performances of the leads (Cage, Connery, Ed Harris, and a great supporting cast too).
Old 05-04-2020, 02:13 AM

I enjoyed The Adventures of Ford Fairlane so much that I saw it twice in the theater. On the same day. Still own it on DVD.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:32 AM

Sgt. Bilko. I don’t know why, I just do.

Phil Hartman probably has something to do with it, and maybe that sense of post-Cold War/pre-9/11 levity and optimism. An attitude that I might encapsulate as something like "Oh, that lovable Sergeant Bilko, he scammed his way out of the Gulf War, but that was just such a quick flash in the pan steam-roll against such a ridiculously out-matched opponent, who could really blame him?". In fact, now that I think about it, I’m tempted to give the film a mention in "Classic" movies or TV shows with situations or premises basically impossible today. The humor would have to be so much darker if set in the GWOT era.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 05-04-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:33 AM

'Clerks'. A cinematic masterpiece.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
The Rock. Yes, it's ridiculous, yes, it has as many action movie cliches as they could squeeze in, yes it has Nicolas Cage. But I love the corny lines and the performances of the leads (Cage, Connery, Ed Harris, and a great supporting cast too).
It's one of the few Michael Bay movies I enjoy. It wasn't as good as my teenage memory of it but it's still a decent action movie.

Kindergarten cop: The endearing parts are very movie-of-the-week but they work, especially the scene with the ferret. There's also a scene with a scene about a serious topic that engendered more anger than I would have expected. I don't know if "love" is quite the term but it's a lot more watchable than you'd expect for an early 90s Arnold comedy.

Office Space is also pretty good. You can see it being part of the same cultural wave that includes Fight Club, The Matrix and American Beauty which all came out the same year.

Enemy at the Gates and Swordfish were also nice. Enemy at the Gates is very stark as if fitting for a movie set in the battle of Stalingrad. Swordfish is a heist that's not big on restraint.

Blade 1 & 2.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-04-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:12 AM

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103873...=nm_flmg_dr_20

Braindead

Gross violent disgusting and funny as hell
Old 05-04-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
It's one of the few Michael Bay movies I enjoy. It wasn't as good as my teenage memory of it but it's still a decent action movie.

Enemy at the Gates and Swordfish were also nice. Enemy at the Gates is very stark as if fitting for a movie set in the battle of Stalingrad. Swordfish is a heist that's not big on restraint.
I think your mention of Enemy At the Gates helped me hone in on what I'm looking for. As soon as I read it, I thought "YES!! Thats one!!"

A dumb(ish) premise* (within the time frame i mentioned) turned up to 11 without trying to be pretentious. So Face/Off, which I DO love, wouldn't qualify cause its definitely a little pretentious.

*I mean....all the Russians are English and the main German is American, right??
Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
Magnolia. I walked out of the theater shaking.

I think Tom Cruise is a weirdo, but after that movie, I can't bring myself to dislike him.
If Magnolia counts as a stupid little movie, then my submission for a stupid little movie from the late 90's that I really like is Boogie Nights.

Last edited by Joey P; 05-04-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Magnolia is many, many things, but "stupid" and "little" are none of them.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Old School (2003) has its moments. Dust in the Wind is the second song Will Ferrell has changed to my ears, after The More Cowbell Song which is apparently actually called Don't Fear the Reaper.
"Yer my boy, Blue!"
Old 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) a very funny stupid little movie. From the company that brought you "Zombies of Mora Tau" and "Lawrence of Arabia."
I love this movie! I laughed so hard it was embarrassing.

We adopted a pair of dachshunds, and seriously considered naming them Lattis and Kro-Bar.

Last edited by carrps; 05-04-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

A Good Man in Africa (1994)—

A mediocre movie based on a pretty good novel by William Boyd, with an all-star cast—Colin Friels, Sean Connery, John Lithgow, Diana Rigg, Louis Gossett Jr., Joanne Whalley (pre-Kilmer), Maynard Eziashi.

Looking back on it, it's somewhat racist, but at the time, I loved the performances. Everyone was really good in it, and it preserved some of the sense of hijinks and futility from the novel.

PCU (1994)—

A really stupid movie making stupid non-points about political correctness starring Jeremy Piven decades before being outed as a predator and an asshole. But the performances are great and the stupid fun is just stupid fun. I liked this movie much more than Animal House because the characters were way nicer and benign.

This was not a stupid movie at all, but I have to mention it—

Mister Johnson (1990)

—Pierce Brosnan, back when he was a character actor, plays a colonial officer in British-ruled Africa, but the real star of the movie is his African clerk, played by Maynard Eziashi, who goes by the name "Mister Johnson." It's a tragedy in form, but it is very observant of the colonial experience, the affection that could grow between ruler and ruled, but at the end revealing the brutality of the system. Edward Woodward is also in it.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:54 PM

I seem to be the only person who liked this movie but. I found The Shadow to be a very entertaining movie that embraced the pulp roots of the character. Alec Baldwin seems to be constantly in on the joke, never taking it too seriously, and John Lone and Tim Curry chew so much scenery I'm surprised there was anything left. The effects budget was definitely on the thin side but the practical, Evil Dead-grade effects really fit the pulp nature of the story, and the one aspect that is really lacking is the editing where there are some scene jumps that clearly left something on the cutting room floor. Unfortunately, the movie did relatively poorly at the box office with poor promotion and an until then rising star Baldwin taking a deep career slide for the better part of a decade led to no sequel potential, but the movie is good fun with a just-right balance of campy action and slightly over-the-top dramatic flair that felt like a radio serial production projected to film. This goes on the same shelf as Big Trouble in Little China, The Rocketeer, and Captain America: The First Avenger. If only someone would actually make a decent Doc Savage movie...

Stranger
Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 PM

I love The Shadow!

I also like The Arrival, starring Charlie Sheen.

And If Looks Could Kill, starring Richard Grieco.

And Thunderheart.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I think your mention of Enemy At the Gates helped me hone in on what I'm looking for. As soon as I read it, I thought "YES!! Thats one!!"

A dumb(ish) premise* (within the time frame i mentioned) turned up to 11 without trying to be pretentious. So Face/Off, which I DO love, wouldn't qualify cause its definitely a little pretentious.
Would Conan the Barbarian, Predator or Die Hard count if you extended the time period to the '80s or would you consider them different from what you have in mind?
Old 05-04-2020, 09:44 PM

I wouldn't say I "loved" any of the following, but all are worth checking out, imo:

Frankenhooker (1990)
Low-budget bad taste comedy.

The Borrower (1991)
Alien “borrows” human heads.

Innocent Blood (1992)
John Landis directed vampire on the loose tale mixes in gangsters. Silly, funny, gory and Don Rickles explodes.

Legend of Liquid Sword (1993)
Indescribable Hong Kong martial arts flick with mind-blowing action and multiple cast members exploding thanks to bad guy “Batman.”

Matinee (1993)
Cheesy filmmaker promoting Mant! (“Half man! Half ant! All Terror!”) in 1962 FL finds real-life atomic threats eclipsing his cinematic ones.

Mars Attacks (1996)
The only movie ever made from a series of gum cards. Should have been much better.

Anaconda (1997)
Jon Voight gets regurgitated by a giant CG-snake. What’s not to love?

Razor Blade Smile (1998)
Very low budget vampires among humans tale features one of the worst performances ever given by a male lead, but still entertains.

Lake Placid (1999)
Crocs menace humans. Lots of humor helps.

Battlefield Earth (2000)
Not as bad as most would have it, but awfully derivative. I kinda liked it, but would probably never watch twice.

Legend of Zu (2001)
Almost constant VFX and/or mind-blowing action, along with awesome martial arts choreography and state-of-the-art wirework in this nearly incomprehensible CG-saturated fantasy.

Kamikaze Girls (2004)
The unlikely friendship between a tough biker chick and a would-be fashion designer obsessed by the Rococo period makes for a predictably silly and unexpectedly entertaining tale.

Last edited by Dropo; 05-04-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Would Conan the Barbarian, Predator or Die Hard count if you extended the time period to the '80s or would you consider them different from what you have in mind?
For sure under an 80's category. Along with Red Dawn.

Other 90's would be: Under Siege, In the Line of Fire*,

*Which is just "Hannibal Lecter vs. Clint Eastwood" turned up to 11.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
I seem to be the only person who liked this movie but. I found The Shadow to be a very entertaining movie that embraced the pulp roots of the character. Alec Baldwin seems to be constantly in on the joke, never taking it too seriously, and John Lone and Tim Curry chew so much scenery I'm surprised there was anything left. The effects budget was definitely on the thin side but the practical, Evil Dead-grade effects really fit the pulp nature of the story, and the one aspect that is really lacking is the editing where there are some scene jumps that clearly left something on the cutting room floor. Unfortunately, the movie did relatively poorly at the box office with poor promotion and an until then rising star Baldwin taking a deep career slide for the better part of a decade led to no sequel potential, but the movie is good fun with a just-right balance of campy action and slightly over-the-top dramatic flair that felt like a radio serial production projected to film. This goes on the same shelf as Big Trouble in Little China, The Rocketeer, and Captain America: The First Avenger. If only someone would actually make a decent Doc Savage movie...

Stranger

I like The Shadow. I have it on the shelf next to The Phantom, The Rocketeer, Dick Tracy, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow as a sort of suite of reviving 1930s-style sci-fi heroes.

They're all very ridiculous but somewhat fun.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:40 PM

Clifford, 1994, starring Martin Short and Charles Grodin. A movie that seems to be almost universally despised, savaged by critics, and performed horribly at the box office. Yet every single thing about it cracks me right the fuck up every time I watch it (yes, I've watched it multiple times.)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Sgt. Bilko. I don’t know why, I just do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
PCU (1994)—
Two of my favourites!

My contribution: Blast from the Past.

Brendan Fraser plays Adam, born in a bomb shelter, where his family has sequestered itself since a bomb scare during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. He, and his parents, haven't been on the surface since then, and while they were stocked well with supplies in 1962 (enough for 35 years, actually), they're running out. Adam is sent to the surface to get supplies.

He meets Eve (Alicia Silverstone), who agrees to help him find what he needs. This movie could be dismissed as a nice forgettable rom-com if that's all there was to it, but there's more--it's Adam's reactions to the world of 1997 that really make this movie. He learns, sometimes the hard way, that the world has greatly changed since 1962, which is when his parents took shelter, and which is all they know, and which they have taught him about. Adam cannot dance, unless it's swing music or Perry Como; he thinks that "gay" still means "happy"; he has never driven a car, but he tries to learn (Eve has to do most of the driving); and he's amazed by colour television. As you can tell, it's a movie I've enjoyed rewatching many times.

Last edited by Spoons; 05-05-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Pleasantville.
Speaking of movies where the protagonists get sucked into a TV, I'd like to nominate 1992's Stay Tuned. It's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but its parodies of '80s and '90s films and TV shows—including the self-referential zinger where lead John Ritter gets transported into Three's Company—were well worth the price of admission.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomyboy63 View Post
Blair Witch Project. I thought it was incredibly realistic. I found it in a VHS discount bin years after its release, and I didn't expect much from it. But dayum!
I saw this in the theater, and it scared the crap out of me. I was dating the guy I eventually married, but he didn't stay over the night we saw it together (actually, we saw it in the AFTERNOON), because I had to get up crazy early the next day. I went to bed when it was still a little light out, and was so creeped out, I ended up getting up and checking all the locks and windows, and closets, twice. I picked up the phone to call the guy and ask him to come over, but didn't. I ended up taking something to fall asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I don't love it enough to have seen it more than once, but I did enjoy it a lot when I saw it. It's one of those movies where the script isn't particularly startling, but the people in it seem to be having such a good time making it, that you get caught up in their joy. Susan Sontag said "camp" was when something was terrible, but the people doing it were having a great time-- like kids at camp. This is when more like when something is 2 & 1/2 stars, but the people are really enjoying themselves.

A movie I liked which hasn't been mentioned unfathomably gets ONE star when it's on, but I think it's a great movie is Where the Heart Is, with Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman. I can't figure out why it's so disliked. It's not Citizen Kane, but I think it's a pretty solid middling-good movie. Good performances, good production values, and a script that balances unpredictability with believability. I can't help thinking that it's a women like it/men hate it movie that ISN'T a romance, and in fact, is a film where the men don't come off so well, and maybe that has something to do with critical reaction. Interestingly, I saw this with two friends who were a gay man, and a trans woman. They both loved it too, and the gay man, when it was over, said "Yeah, men suck."
Old 05-05-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I saw this in the theater, and it scared the crap out of me. I was dating the guy I eventually married, but he didn't stay over the night we saw it together (actually, we saw it in the AFTERNOON), because I had to get up crazy early the next day. I went to bed when it was still a little light out, and was so creeped out, I ended up getting up and checking all the locks and windows, and closets, twice. I picked up the phone to call the guy and ask him to come over, but didn't. I ended up taking something to fall asleep.
Good times! https://www.blairwitch.com/

Then there was Curse of the Blair Witch-I enjoyed, similar vein.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202493/

And Blair Witch 2-Not as good, but ok.
https://www.youtube.com/hatch?v=75cjbtUhTjE

From that the gimmick Secret of Esrever, which I never figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgO8ffxigX8

https://blairwitch.proboards.com/thr...secret-esrever
Old 05-05-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
...Passenger 57...
Fun memory about this movie-- I used to be afraid to fly. Like, every minute in the air was almost unbearable anxiety. I eventually got better by making myself fly down to Florida from Michigan to visit my sister every year. Sort of my own desensitization training. Touching down on the ground was always an enormous relief. When I got home I liked to rent & watch air action/disaster movies, and "Passenger 57" was one memorable one. Why? Not sure... maybe akin to someone who's afraid to watch horror movies late at night but enjoys them during daylight. I liked experiencing the simulated terror at a remove, with my feet firmly on the ground. "Executive Decision" was another.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Also its sequel, The Lost Skeleton Returns Again
Old 05-05-2020, 09:45 AM

I love reading true crime, especially stuff about serial killers, and especially especially Jack the Ripper stuff-- as long as it is light out. If I read it at night, I'm in for a v...e...r...y l...o...n...g night. Especially if DH is coming home late, or out of town altogether. And before I was married, or back when he was in the military, forget it.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I also like The Arrival, starring Charlie Sheen.
That was a pretty good movie that was released about a month before Independence Day, so it was overshadowed.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
PCU (1994)—

A really stupid movie making stupid non-points about political correctness starring Jeremy Piven decades before being outed as a predator and an asshole. But the performances are great and the stupid fun is just stupid fun. I liked this movie much more than Animal House because the characters were way nicer and benign...
As I recall, one of the characters was a wild partier played by Mark Paul Gosselaar, who until that point was only known as Zack from Saved by the Bell. It was quite funny seeing somebody who was always depicted as such a squeaky clean high schooler essentially morph into a raging college kid.

My contribution: Road Trip.

It was a movie which included Tom Green (remember him? The really weird, really obnoxious gross-out/awkward moment comedian) so I was wary. But he only had a bit part, and the movie (about a group of college kids who travel across the country to retrieve a video tape one accidentally mailed to his girlfriend) was really funny, but also surprisingly poignant (e.g. the dorky kid comes of age; there's a surprisingly thoughtful take on weed and anxiety, the characters are sympathetic and decent) and not at all cliched (e.g. they try to drive their car over a ravine by building a ramp and jumping it; total movie nonsense, right? Except the car is totaled once it lands). Meanwhile, Tom Green basically spends the movie waiting for a snake to eat a mouse.

Highly recommend.

Last edited by Moriarty; 05-05-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
As I recall, one of the characters was a wild partier played by Mark Paul Gosselaar, who until that point was only known as Zack from Saved by the Bell. It was quite funny seeing somebody who was always depicted as such a squeaky clean high schooler essentially morph into a raging college kid.
I don't remember him in PCU. David Spade was in it, as was a younger Jon Favreau. It's a pretty funny movie, and supposedly based on Wesleyan University.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Go-- sure it was a Tarentino/Pulp Fiction rip off, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.

Good Burger-- I only saw it because my children were tweens when it came out but, dang, that stupid movie made me laugh.

Long Kiss Goodnight-- I like action movies and this is one of my very favorites.

Along with the already mentioned Lake Placid (Betty White rules!), I'd like to add Volcano to the list of stupid little disaster movies from the 90s that I love.

Last edited by Biggirl; 05-05-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:19 PM

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108906/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_5

While The Kingdom was aired on Danish TV, I watched it at one sitting on VCR. Its weird, scary and brilliant. Its Lars von Trier at his best imo.

It was adapted for USA TV by Stephen King.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324864/

Last edited by madsircool; 05-05-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I don't remember him in PCU. David Spade was in it, as was a younger Jon Favreau. It's a pretty funny movie, and supposedly based on Wesleyan University.
I could have sworn he was in it. IMDB tells me I'm wrong (as do you). I really did too many drugs in college.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Two movies I'll add are Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead (1991, stars Christina Applegate) and Eurotrip (1994). Both are kind of silly but amusing enough.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Long Kiss Goodnight-- I like action movies and this is one of my very favorites.
A Shane Black screenplay and a great starring role by the perennially underrated Geena Davis. Pair it up with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Val Kilmer and a return-to-form Robert Downey, Jr.

Stranger
Old 05-05-2020, 01:59 PM

Thirding or whatever Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion. I absolutely love that movie, and watch it once a year or so. I can’t explain why I love it so much, I just do. I think it's because I was 16 when it was released and I kind of associate it with my teenage years. I even bought the soundtrack on cassette (!) when it was released.

I also liked Dante’s Peak. It has stupid, unbelievable disasters,Pretty scenery, Linda Hamilton, and that sweet Chevy Suburban. What’s not to love?

Under the Tuscan Sun is another great movie that I think is underrated. There isn’t a thing about it that I don’t like, and it’s another that I watch once every year or two.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Mountains of the Moon (1990)-- biopic about Richard Burton -- no, not the actor, the OTHER Richard Burton -- explorer, co-"discoverer" of the Source of the Nile, translator of the Arabian Nights, the Perfumed Garden, and the Kama Sutra (all unexpurgated, and at the height of the Victorian Age), Pilgrim to Mecca (who wrote a book about the experience) and to Salt Lake City (ditto). Posthumous hero of Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld" series. A truly fascinating individual.

Brain Damage (actually 1988, but I'll let it slide) -- really off-the-wall science fiction/horror film by Frank Henelotter (Basket Case, Frankenhooker) about a couple keeping a monster in their apartment because he generates a psychoaxtive drug. The monster is sentient, and escapes, and is found by their next door neighbor. My favorite line -- Neighbor (upon learning the name the couple bestowed on the monster) : "Elmer??!!!! You fucking named him Elmer ????!!!!!"

Prospero's Books (1991)-- easily the weirdest telling of Shakespeare's The Tempest, starring John Gielgud as Prospero.

Princess Caraboo (1994)-- true story of the exotic and mysterious Princess Caraboo who turned up in 19th century Britain speaking an unknown language. Phoebe Cates' last movie. Also with Jim Broadbent, Kevin Kline, and John Lithgow. I'm surprised this film isn't more well-known.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Tremors - Saw it opening weekend and loved it. Will usually watch to the end if I stumble across it. Never saw the SyFy channel series or most of the sequels.

Arachnophobia - Fun killer spiders movie, but not a big box-office hit.

Darkman - Early Sam Raimi superhero flick (his first time working with a Hollywood studio), with relatively unknown Liam Neeson.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Tremors - Saw it opening weekend and loved it. Will usually watch to the end if I stumble across it. Never saw the SyFy channel series or most of the sequels.
Tremors is a great intentionally-B movie that nods and winks at the tropes of survival horror without descending into parody. None of the sequels are really worth watching although the TV series (which I have not seen) seems to be relatively well regarded for what it is, and there is apparently a 2018 pilot for a series that wasn't picked up featuring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward.

Stranger
Old 05-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Tremors is a great intentionally-B movie that nods and winks at the tropes of survival horror without descending into parody. None of the sequels are really worth watching although the TV series (which I have not seen) seems to be relatively well regarded for what it is, and there is apparently a 2018 pilot for a series that wasn't picked up featuring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward.

Stranger
I have to disagree with this. I think that the first and second sequels actually played pretty well with the (admittedly outrageous) life cycle of the "graboids", throwing weird developments at the heroes (Fred Ward and Michael Gross) that they had to work around, and doing it all with a sense of humor and a not terrifically high budget.*

I could do without the fourth movie, or the TV series (at least what I've seen of it).

*And at least in Tremors 2 they got "infrared vision" right, using frost-coated clothing to fool the IR-viewing young graboids, unlike the movie Hardware, where the heroine hides from the IR-vision robot in a freakin' refrigerator!. That's like hiding a lit candle in a dark room.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Dangit, The Tall Guy is from 1989, just short of the OP's time period. It's a great little movie. Jeff Goldblum, who at the time was a character actor rather than whatever it is he is now, plays an American actor who plays a sidekick to Rowan Atkinson's stage act who gets a role in the West End stage version of The Elephant Man -- titled Elephant! (wicked parody of Andrew Lloyd Glurgy Bombast. His love interest is Emma Thompson. Great little movie.

Sorry, I'm listing good movies, not stupid ones.

But I have to mention An Awfully Big Adventure (1995) with Alan Rickman and Hugh Grant as conceited and catty members of a minor theatrical company putting on a production of Peter Pan. They're not the main characters, though. And the ending is not one you would expect from a mainstream film.

Bright Young Things (2003) Stephen Fry! directs an adaptation of an Evelyn Waugh! novel (Vile Bodies), with Michael Sheen, Emily Mortimer, James McAvoy, Stockard Channing, Jim Carter, David Tennant, Jim Broadbent ... Dan Aykroyd? Amazing little movie about a group of interwar social butterflies.

Little Voice (1998) with Jane Horrocks, Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Ewan MacGregor, Brenda Blethyn.

Last edited by Acsenray; 05-05-2020 at 03:50 PM.