Old 05-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Ewan McGregor did a bunch of really good movies in the 1990s, before he became a superstar.

Miniseries Lipstick on Your Collar (1993)

Shallow Grave (1994)

Brassed Off (1996)

Young Adam (2003)
Old 05-05-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Two movies I'll add are Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead (1991, stars Christina Applegate) and Eurotrip (1994). Both are kind of silly but amusing enough.
Eurotrip is on my list, but it was from 1994? Dang, I thought it was from much later (like 1999, or the early 2000s).

....looks like it was in fact from 2003, so yeah. The guy had a pen pal from Germany that was e-mail based, so it was after people widely had personal email accounts (circa 1996), but before mobile phones and social media combined so that tracking someone down as they moved across Europe would not be a manhunt so much as subscribing to their Twitter or Instagram feed.

My personal guilty pleasure from this era: 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag (1997). In fact, I just rewatched it last week. It's the movie I have rewatched multiple times that has the absolutely lowest ratings on Rotten Tomatoes (11% on the Tomato-meter, and only 35% from the audience)! Eurotrip wasn't exactly highly rated (RT of 47%), but at least most viewers liked it (75%).

As with Eurotrip, the entire plot of 8HiaDB really couldn't happen in today's world; it required graduate school aged people not knowing where their good friend was on vacation, and having no way to just reach him immediately, and no way for him to send a photo of 7 heads to identify which of the 8 had gone missing to someone who would know. Oh, and airport security was very different in 1997 as well. Obviously a comedy so the ease of bypassing it is exaggerated for comic effect, but still.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Sorry about that. I think Wikipedia said Eurotrip was released in 2004 and I think I mistyped 1994 instead.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
My contribution: Blast from the Past.
I also liked that one; Christopher Walken as the kind-of unhinged dad and Sissy Spacek as the mother who's going a little stir crazy in the bunker.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Clifford, 1994, starring Martin Short and Charles Grodin...
And did you know that Rick Baker himself designed the grotesque transformation scene where Martin Short slowly morphs into the horrifically huge red dog?

Well, you still don't...
Old 05-05-2020, 07:46 PM

Blast From The Past was great. I, um, third it.

The best Zombie movies from then:
Night of the Comet and The Return of the Living Dead with the Pathmark Guy James Karen.

Does anyone know of any other movies James Karen was in? Also, does anyone know what I mean by the Pathmark Guy?

Last edited by Biggirl; 05-05-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Blast From The Past was great. I, um, third it.
Fourthed.

While we're on the topic of Brendan Fraser, let's don't forget Bedazzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUnFbyqNr4
Old 05-05-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomyboy63 View Post
Fourthed.

While we're on the topic of Brendan Fraser, let's don't forget Bedazzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUnFbyqNr4
IF camp is defined as bad art that the developers had a blast doing.....then Bedazzled is definitely camp.

Well, its not actually bad, but the cast looks like they had a lot of fun.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:20 AM

Heaven forgive me, but I kinda like "Con Air" (1997). Maybe not little, but definitely stupid.....
Old 05-06-2020, 04:03 AM

So I married an Axe Murderer - 1993. Gets surprisingly little love for being a Mike Myers film, and is a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Amanda Plummer does a great turn as the sister-in-law.

US Marshals - the poor relation of The Fugitive. Still has plenty of Tommy Lee Jones wisecracks though, so what's not to like?
Old 05-06-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
I wouldn't say I "loved" any of the following, but all are worth checking out, imo: .....

Lake Placid (1999)
Crocs menace humans. Lots of humor helps.
The cast for that one is kind of amazing: Brendan Gleeson, Bill Pullman, Oliver Platt, Bridget Fonda, and ...... Betty White!
Old 05-06-2020, 05:07 AM

Films I rated 9/10 stars on IMDB that I thought were "odd little" but maybe not "stupid" It was a grear decade for such films.
'.
Valerie Flake (1999)

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

Night Train (I) (1998) Brenda Blethyn

Attention Shoppers (2000)

Sunday (1997)

Little Fish (2005)

Imaginary Crimes (1994)

Millennium Mambo (2001)

Buffalo '66 (1998)

Taxman (1998)

Last Night (I) (1998) SSandra Oh

Dancing in September (2000)

Naked (1993)

Palookaville (1995)

The Promise (1996)

Strictly Ballroom (1992)
Old 05-06-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
.......A movie I liked which hasn't been mentioned unfathomably gets ONE star when it's on, but I think it's a great movie is Where the Heart Is, with Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman. I can't figure out why it's so disliked. It's not Citizen Kane, but I think it's a pretty solid middling-good movie. Good performances, good production values, and a script that balances unpredictability with believability. I can't help thinking that it's a women like it/men hate it movie that ISN'T a romance, and in fact, is a film where the men don't come off so well, and maybe that has something to do with critical reaction. Interestingly, I saw this with two friends who were a gay man, and a trans woman. They both loved it too, and the gay man, when it was over, said "Yeah, men suck."
Any movie with both Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman is going to get a long look from me. All I remember about it was that Judd and Portman look startlingly similar - like they're supposed to be long-lost sisters? And I was put off by the main character's name "Novalee", which seemed made up. Caught it somewhere in the middle on cable TV and watched to the end, so it wasn't terrible.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Go-- sure it was a Tarentino/Pulp Fiction rip off, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.

Long Kiss Goodnight-- I like action movies and this is one of my very favorites.

"Go" rules, and holds up very well to repeated viewings. Geena Davis really sells "Long Kiss Goodnight" - I recommend it.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
That was a pretty good movie that was released about a month before Independence Day, so it was overshadowed.
Yeah, it really should have done better.

I love Lake Placid! Bill Pullman trying to make sense of Bridget Fonda's rants was hilarious.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:34 AM

Also, I don't care what anyone says...a western that plays lie a videogame , "The Quick and the Dead"...and with that cast!!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Tremors is a great intentionally-B movie that nods and winks at the tropes of survival horror without descending into parody. None of the sequels are really worth watching although the TV series (which I have not seen) seems to be relatively well regarded for what it is, and there is apparently a 2018 pilot for a series that wasn't picked up featuring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward.

Stranger
Tremors is a fantastic movie! We saw it at the drive-in as part of a triple bill and it was awesome. No one wanted to get out of the car and we were planning on how to get to the snack bar by jumping car to car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
So I married an Axe Murderer - 1993. Gets surprisingly little love for being a Mike Myers film, and is a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Amanda Plummer does a great turn as the sister-in-law.
This is a cult classic!

I gotta nominate Kingpin. It's an absolutely brilliantly written comedy with stellar performances from Bill Murray and Woody Harrelson.

A personal favourite is Whale Music (1994) based on the book by Paul Quarrington and Rheostatics providing the soundtrack.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 AM

Grosse Pointe Blank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ7AXKWmWOg
Old 05-06-2020, 11:11 AM

'Happiness', 1998 and 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead', 2007.
Both feature Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:15 AM
SDSAB

I'll second a bunch already mentioned.

I don't see too many horror films, so maybe I wasn't desensitized, but I found The Blair Witch Project to be pretty damn scary. That last scene, down in the basement of the old house... brrrr.

Enemy at the Gates was a perfectly decent WWII movie; Ed Harris was particularly good as the German sniper.

Blade was silly, portentous, schlocky vampire-fighting fun (didn't see any of the sequels).

The Long Kiss Goodnight is a perfectly good spy-with-amnesia action flick. Geena Davis does well in the lead role.

Bedazzled is a fun make-a-deal-with-the-Devil comedy. Elizabeth Hurley has never been more tempting.

Con Air crosses the line from stoopid to fun, and then back again, at least a dozen times. And an all-star cast chews the scenery with great gusto.

And I'll add Outbreak, appropriate for the times in which we find ourselves, with Dustin Hoffman, Morgan Freeman, Rene Russo, Donald Sutherland, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Kevin Spacey as Army medicos fighting an ebola-like outbreak in a small American town. A bit farfetched at times, and certainly no Casablanca, but good scary fun.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post

Bedazzled is a fun make-a-deal-with-the-Devil comedy. Elizabeth Hurley has never been more tempting.
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the original version, written by and starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. It hasn't got the big budget effects, but it's got great writing. And it's got Raquel Welch playing "Lust"

"It's a terrible bunch of Sins I have working for me," says Peter Cook (the Devil). "Must be the Wages."
Old 05-06-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Mystery Men (1999) - A really enjoyable comedy/action movie about a group of second string superheroes.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:20 PM

City Slickers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxVp1g8xMQ

Mitch: Hi Curly, kill anyone today?
Curly: Day ain't over yet

City Slickers 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKc-cmsXIMU
Duke: My Ma died last year, she was 95. Stabbed in a bar fight.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:05 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the original version, written by and starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. It hasn't got the big budget effects, but it's got great writing. And it's got Raquel Welch playing "Lust"....
I have. I actually prefer the remake, although IIRC the original has that nice scene where Satan suggests that Moore to dance around him on his throne, singing his praises, and when Moore has done that for a little bit and says he's tired of it and would like a turn on the throne himself, Satan says with satisfaction, "That's just what I said to God!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Mystery Men (1999) - A really enjoyable comedy/action movie about a group of second string superheroes.
Yes! My favorite line: "We've got a blind date with Destiny, and it looks like she just ordered the lobster."

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05-06-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
For sure under an 80's category. Along with Red Dawn.

Other 90's would be: Under Siege, In the Line of Fire*,

*Which is just "Hannibal Lecter vs. Clint Eastwood" turned up to 11.

I really don't know here but would it be accurate to say that you want movies that were both humble in their means and pretensions while also doing at great job? Like someone who has a blue-collar job and does it well because they care?
Old 05-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Songwriter - Willie and Kris being, well, Willie and Kris. Rip Torn chews so much scenery he makes Shatner look Shakespearean. Roger Ebert said:

"Songwriter" is one of those movies that grows on you. It doesn't have a big point to prove, and it isn't all locked into the requirements of its plot. It's about spending some time with some country musicians who are not much crazier than most country musicians, and are probably nicer than some. It also has a lot of good music.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:37 PM

A little movie, but not stupid so I guess it fits -Girls Town with the always wonderful Lili Taylor.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Mystery Men gets a big thumbs up for me.

If you want to get your crazy serial killer groove on, how 'bout The Stepfather (1987, I hear that there was a remake in the two thousands but I've never seen it) and, for something really harrowing, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?
Old 05-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Dark City (1998) is one of the few movies I enjoy enough to watch it over again every couple years. Donnie Darko (2001) & Kelly's Heroes (1970) also fall into that category.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 05-06-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 PM

"Rock Star" starring Mark Wahlberg as a tribute performer who becomes lead singer of his favorite heavy metal band. Loosely based on the similar tale of the guy who became lead singer for Judas Priest after Rob Halford left the band. I've always been a sucker for these sorts of rise-and-fall showbiz stories. Also, it's great seeing Dominic West (aka McNulty from "The Wire") in long curly mane and full hair metal regalia.

And in the so-bad-it's-good category, one I've mentioned on this message board multiple times - "On Deadly Ground," starring Steven Seagal as an ex-special forces eco-warrior. Yeah, the movie is dumber than hell, but it's worth a viewing to see Michael Caine in a scenery-chewing turn as a sinister bolo-tie wearing oilman. Also to hear R. Lee Ermey deliver the following soliloquy about what a badass Seagal's character is.

Quote:
My guy in D.C. tells me that we are not dealing with a student here, we're dealing with the Professor. Any time the military has an operation that can't fail, they call this guy in to train the troops, OK? He's the kind of guy that would drink a gallon of gasoline so he could piss in your campfire! You could drop this guy off at the Arctic Circle wearing a pair of bikini underwear, without his toothbrush, and tomorrow afternoon he's going to show up at your pool side with a million dollar smile and fist full of pesos. This guy's a professional, you got me? If he reaches this rig, we're all gonna be nothing but a big goddamned hole right in the middle of Alaska. So let's go find him and kill him and get rid of the son of a bitch!

Last edited by joebuck20; 05-06-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was a great, funny little film.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:

US Marshals - the poor relation of The Fugitive. Still has plenty of Tommy Lee Jones wisecracks though, so what's not to like?
This one was on AMC the other day. It was the first time I'd watched it since it came out in the theater, and it was actually a lot better than I remember it being. Along with Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pantoliano had some great moments in it as well.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:04 PM

Dodgeball - 2004

Very stupid, but piss-pants hi-larious.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Mystery Men gets a big thumbs up for me.

If you want to get your crazy serial killer groove on, how 'bout The Stepfather (1987, I hear that there was a remake in the two thousands but I've never seen it) and, for something really harrowing, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?
Oops! Wrong decade. Sorry.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 PM

Little Nicky (2000). Not well-regarded by most, I thought Adam Sandler did a brilliant job portraying someone utterly unfamiliar with Earthly life ("I got hit by a lot of metal with some lights on the front." "That's a train, son."), and I loved the various elements of the movie's Hellish millieu woven together (Rodney Dangerfield as Grandpa Lucifer, Hitler's daily punishment). Also, "You turned a Coke...into a Pepsi."
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 05-06-2020, 11:01 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sponge View Post
Dark City (1998) is one of the few movies I enjoy enough to watch it over again every couple years....
Yes! Great film, and with one of the most absolutely perfect endings of all time. I almost wept.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:54 AM

I came in to offer Hawks (with Janet McTeer!), but I see it was from 1988. I guess I watched it in the early '90s, but maybe not. Some movies from late '80s-early '90s are starting to blur together time-wise for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 AM

I have a soft spot for Major Payne (1995). Peak Damon Wayans.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 PM

I agree with many that have been listed:
Office Space
Tremors
Kingpin
Old School (my favorite of the Will Ferrell, some-Wilson-brother movies)
Dodgeball (I still reference "the ocho" whenever the opportunity arises)

I'll add:
Defending Your Life
The Chronicles of Riddick Easily the best, most polished B-movie to come along in some time.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Two from 2002:

Big Trouble, starring Tim Allen and based on a Dave Barry novel (that I have not read). A comedy about various people in and around Miami. And there's a bomb on a plane, which is why the release was delayed; it was originally set to premiere on September 21, 2001.

Nicholas Nickleby. One of many film versions, this one starred Charlie Hunnam and Christopher Plummer. It's only a couple of hours long, so it's not a complete telling of the lengthy novel (which, again, I have not read) but I thought was nicely done.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
A Shane Black screenplay and a great starring role by the perennially underrated Geena Davis. Pair it up with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Val Kilmer and a return-to-form Robert Downey, Jr.

Stranger
Yes to both!

I love Big Trouble, but the book was actually funnier, so I was a little disappointed in the movie when I first saw it. As my memories of the book fade, I like the movie more and more.

Was going to mention Adventures in Babysitting but, sadly, it's 1987.

Tremors is the perfect genre movie. I'm also a big fan of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Janeane Garofalo was really good in it. And it was a real surprise to see who Sandy Frink grew up to be.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:03 PM

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/d...ty-things-2003

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good_advice

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vanilla_sky
Old 05-07-2020, 10:31 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...Big Trouble, starring Tim Allen and based on a Dave Barry novel (that I have not read). A comedy about various people in and around Miami. And there's a bomb on a plane, which is why the release was delayed; it was originally set to premiere on September 21, 2001....
I was underwhelmed by the film, although it does have a great deadpan Patrick Warburton line: "Was that a goat?"
Old 05-07-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Yes to both!

I love Big Trouble, but the book was actually funnier, so I was a little disappointed in the movie when I first saw it. As my memories of the book fade, I like the movie more and more.

Was going to mention Adventures in Babysitting but, sadly, it's 1987.

Tremors is the perfect genre movie. I'm also a big fan of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Janeane Garofalo was really good in it. And it was a real surprise to see who Sandy Frink grew up to be.
Big Trouble had a great cast. Tim Allen, Renee Russo, Ben Foster, DJ Qualls, Patrick Warburton, a young Zooey Deschanel (though, admittedly, she doesn't have much to do in the film), Andy Richter, and the great Stanley Tucci.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
.....The best Zombie movies from then:
Night of the Comet ......
Night of the Comet was released in 1984, so out of bounds date-wise. But it's a fun movie.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
"Rock Star" starring Mark Wahlberg as a tribute performer who becomes lead singer of his favorite heavy metal band. Loosely based on the similar tale of the guy who became lead singer for Judas Priest after Rob Halford left the band. I've always been a sucker for these sorts of rise-and-fall showbiz stories. Also, it's great seeing Dominic West (aka McNulty from "The Wire") in long curly mane and full hair metal regalia.
Good choice... it also has Jennifer Aniston and a absolute killer soundtrack! There's also a bunch of cameos.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Blade was silly, portentous, schlocky vampire-fighting fun (didn't see any of the sequels).
Good call on Blade. One of those movies where, if it pops up on cable TV, I have to watch it to the end.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
If you want to get your crazy serial killer groove on, how 'bout The Stepfather (1987, I hear that there was a remake in the two thousands but I've never seen it) .......
Great early role for Terry O'Quinn before he became a (sorta) TV star on "Lost". And I had a big crush on Jill Schoelen back then. I guess she dropped out of the biz in the mid-90s.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
......I'll add:
.....The Chronicles of Riddick Easily the best, most polished B-movie to come along in some time.
On a related note, I enjoyed Pitch Black.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:05 AM

Dream Lover, an erotic thriller starring James Spader and Madchen Amick. The plot is pretty dumb, but the film more than makes up for it with style, steaminess, the drop-dead beautiful Ms. Amick, and a very satisfying killer ending I didn't see coming.