Old 05-12-2020, 03:29 AM

Brain Donors (1992) and The Wrong Guy (1997) are really funny movies and I tend to rewatch them once a year.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:03 AM

I'm afraid that stupid little movies escape my notice altogether — or maybe I'm just not a comedy fan — so the best I can do is list the four films from that time period that are on my Favorites list despite earning less than 7 IMDB points:

Good Thief (2002)
The Interpreter (2005)
The Score (2001)
Third Miracle (1999)

Bound (1996) is another lesser-known favorite, but it got 7.3 IMDB's

Last edited by septimus; 05-12-2020 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Had to mention Bound
Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 AM

Wasabi (2001). Jean Reno is a great straight man in this very french action comedy movie set mostly in Japan. 6.7 on IMBD, but I always enjoy watching it.

//i\\
Old 05-12-2020, 08:19 AM

Lot's of good little movies I haven't thought about in years.

I'll cosign the following:
The Long Kiss Goodnight - Geena Davis and Sam Jackson bring the shit talking and snark all movie long

Enemy at the Gates - Snipers are just cool

PCU - Once George Clinton hit the stage I was sold

Where the Heart Is - This movie made me love the acting of Natalie Portman...until Star Wars.

Road Trip - DJ Qualls partying with black folk is just a feel good moment

Under the Tuscan Sun - Lady was lucky enough to stumble across the place in the world where she belonged and she was smart enough to recognize it, bold enough to take the chance and strong enough to tough it out.

Mystery Men - This movie started a life long love for dysfunctional supers

I'll add:

Stargate - James Spader showing the world how good a sci-fi movie can be if you cast quality actors who take the material at least somewhat seriously. Still one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time.

Drop Zone - Wesley Snipes movie where the actual plot sucked (as befits a Snipes movie) but fortunately a significant portion of this movie is all about showing some awesome skydivers just doing their thing

Leon: The Professional - Gary Oldman as Stansfield and Natalie Portman as Mathilda...nuff said

Last edited by BeagleJesus; 05-12-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Dodgeball - 2004

Very stupid, but piss-pants hi-larious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
Brain Donors (1992) and The Wrong Guy (1997) are really funny movies and I tend to rewatch them once a year.
All three of these are better than they have any right to be.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Lot's of good little movies I haven't thought about in years.

I'll cosign the following:
The Long Kiss Goodnight - Geena Davis and Sam Jackson bring the shit talking and snark all movie long

Mystery Men - This movie started a life long love for dysfunctional supers
I will triplesign(?) those and definitely cosign these

Quote:
Drop Zone - Wesley Snipes movie where the actual plot sucked (as befits a Snipes movie) but fortunately a significant portion of this movie is all about showing some awesome skydivers just doing their thing

Leon: The Professional - Gary Oldman as Stansfield and Natalie Portman as Mathilda...nuff said

//i\\
Old 05-13-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

All I can do is chime in to agree wholeheartedly with Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, an absolute gem of cinema. Unpretentious, lovable, and funny through and through.

I'm also chiming in about Mountains of the Moon (really interesting; I went and read the novel it was based on after seeing the flick; I liked the hint of Sufism worked into it) and Prospero's Books (Shakespeare as MindScrew).

But please note that Prospero's Books is neither stupid nor little. It's a Big Production and intensely cerebral. The only film ever to make dozens of stark naked nude people look cerebral instead of erotic. Mountains of the Moon is also highly intelligent, nothing stupid about it, though it would qualify for being "little."

I've seen Princess Caraboo three times now, even though it really isn't that notable of a flick, I must be liking something about it. Phoebe Cates performs with verve and fun-loving nofuckstogivitude. It qualifies for this thread all right.

Last edited by Johanna; 05-13-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Now my turn. I wonder if anyone else has seen Twenty Bucks. It has a star-studded cast, a clever story, and tight directing. It seems to have sunk without leaving a ripple.

The White Room by Canadian filmmaker Patricia Rozema is a remarkable arthouse experimental obscurity that I wish I could see again.

Silent Tongue. Ah, Silent Tongue! What to say about it? I can't call it stupid really; rather, the only descriptor for it is "Huh?" It's certainly little, since it got very little attention. I'll say that in the genre of Weird West, it's definitely one of the weirdest.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
All I can do is chime in to agree wholeheartedly with Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, an absolute gem of cinema. Unpretentious, lovable, and funny through and through.
One of Janeane Garofalo's greatest roles. Ah, Janeane Garofalo. When she's bad, she's crap, but when she's good, she's awesome. This is my favorite one of hers.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
One of Janeane Garofalo's greatest roles. Ah, Janeane Garofalo. When she's bad, she's crap, but when she's good, she's awesome. This is my favorite one of hers.
I picked this one up in a bargain bin...fun little flick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRsotXC4Ig
Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomyboy63 View Post
I picked this one up in a bargain bin...fun little flick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRsotXC4Ig
Could you please describe what is behind the link?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm afraid that stupid little movies escape my notice altogether or maybe I'm just not a comedy fan so the best I can do is list the four films from that time period that are on my Favorites list despite earning less than 7 IMDB points:

Good Thief (2002)
The Interpreter (2005)
The Score (2001)
Third Miracle (1999)

Bound (1996) is another lesser-known favorite, but it got 7.3 IMDB's
I took an old friend (who was female) to see "Bound"...It wasn't a date. But we hadn't specifically SAID "This isn't a date"....anyway....all she knew was that it was two women in a heist film and it was supposed to be good. And I knew the women were lesbians, but I figured the women would become a couple very organically and over time.

About 6 minutes in, Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly are all over each other and ripping their clothes off. My friend quite rightly turned to me and said, "Dale....what the hell have you taken me to?"

Fortunately the film did turn out to be quite good.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Could you please describe what is behind the link?
Trailer: "The Matchmaker" 1997
Janeane Garofolo goes to Ireland to check on her bosses family lineage. She ends up meeting an assortment of characters.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 PM

Two black-guys-go-to Ireland movies:

1998's The Nephew isn't silly or cute. When American born biracial teen's mother dies, he is sent to live with his uncle in Ireland. Pierce Bronson is the uncle in this drama.

Much more silly is 2006's Irish Jam Where Eddie Griffin wins a pub in an Irish lottery. It's just like all those movies where the great white savior comes to save the indigenous peoples, except a black comedian comes to save the Irish people.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

I loved Bound and saw it several times.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomyboy63 View Post
Trailer: "The Matchmaker" 1997
Janeane Garofolo goes to Ireland to check on her bosses family lineage. She ends up meeting an assortment of characters.
Thank you
Old 05-14-2020, 07:57 AM

Highway to Hell (1991) is about two young people on their way to Vegas to elope when suddenly a cop from hell, better known as Hellcop, kidnaps the bride-to-be. Our protagonist Sam must then journey to hell to rescue his fiance from the clutches of Satan. It's one of those fun "bad" movies and Lita Ford looks pretty damned good as the Hitchhiker.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:56 AM

Private Parts (1997): Howard Stern biopic features a hilarious turn by then unknown Paul Giamatti, who steals the show as Stern's evil boss.

Swimming With Sharks (1994) another evil boss (Kevin Spacey) has the tables turned on him by his underling (Frank Whaley).

American History X (1998) amazing film, an overlooked classic. Powerful as heck. Should have received multiple Oscars.

Bulworth (1998) Warren Beatty as a worn out U.S. Senator who turns into a truth speaker influenced by rap music and a young activist (Halle Berry).
Old 05-15-2020, 02:18 AM

the man with one red shoe -tom hanks version yes its fluff but he's funny as a classical musician he's reacting to all the nuttiness in his life some of it unknowinglyto him thats brought on by dueling CIA agents one who put him in the middle of a sting operation and the corrupt other trying to find out what he knows about it and not get caught

And some of it is just his everyday life the only downside is the romance is unconvincing and his big song he's "composed" that gets played a lotis actually the chorus of Madonna's "like a virgin " done on a violin

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-15-2020 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Now my turn. I wonder if anyone else has seen Twenty Bucks. It has a star-studded cast, a clever story, and tight directing. It seems to have sunk without leaving a ripple.

The White Room by Canadian filmmaker Patricia Rozema is a remarkable arthouse experimental obscurity that I wish I could see again.

Silent Tongue. Ah, Silent Tongue! What to say about it? I can't call it stupid really; rather, the only descriptor for it is "Huh?" It's certainly little, since it got very little attention. I'll say that in the genre of Weird West, it's definitely one of the weirdest.
Twenty Bucks?

That the ensemble with Steve Buscemi and Christopher Lloyd (among others)? Follows a $20 through all the people who possess it? That was a good movie.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:19 AM

Undercover Brother (2002) is a blaxploitation parody starring Eddie Griffin which delivers a solid number of laughs. Denise Richards' character is called "White She-Devil", which gives you an idea of what to expect. Rotten Tomatoes (77%) approves.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
I seem to be the only person who liked this movie but. I found The Shadow to be a very entertaining movie that embraced the pulp roots of the character. Alec Baldwin seems to be constantly in on the joke, never taking it too seriously, and John Lone and Tim Curry chew so much scenery I'm surprised there was anything left. The effects budget was definitely on the thin side but the practical, Evil Dead-grade effects really fit the pulp nature of the story, and the one aspect that is really lacking is the editing where there are some scene jumps that clearly left something on the cutting room floor. Unfortunately, the movie did relatively poorly at the box office with poor promotion and an until then rising star Baldwin taking a deep career slide for the better part of a decade led to no sequel potential, but the movie is good fun with a just-right balance of campy action and slightly over-the-top dramatic flair that felt like a radio serial production projected to film. This goes on the same shelf as Big Trouble in Little China, The Rocketeer, and Captain America: The First Avenger. If only someone would actually make a decent Doc Savage movie...

Stranger
This is one of a handful of movies--Vibes and Daredevil are two more--that failed because they desperately needed more of an SPFX budget than they got, someone cheaped out and the otherwise perfectly okay movie suffered for it.

I never understood why Almost Famous wasn't a lot more popular than it was. It's one of my favorite movies ever, and a lot of the bit players (Pauley Perrette, Eric Stonestreet, Zooey Deschanel, Jason Lee) went on to be bigger stars on TV. It's criminal that Patrick Fugit and Billy Crudup aren't household names. I guess its arrival kind of coincided with Rock'n'Roll taking a back seat to every other form of popular music, and MTV eschewing rock videos for awful reality shows. It also seemed a lot like Rolling Stone magazine producing/promoting a big love letter to itself. Such a great movie, though!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:32 AM

I liked 20 Dates, a faux documentary from 1998. Quoting a bit:

Myles is divorced in L.A. He wants a love life and a film career. So he decides to go on 20 dates and find true love in front of a camera, making his first feature. His patient agent, Richard, finds a $60,000 investor, the shadowy Elie. Myles starts his search, sometimes telling his date she's being filmed, sometimes not. Elie wants sex and titillation, Myles wants it "real."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138987/
Old 05-15-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
Undercover Brother (2002) is a blaxploitation parody starring Eddie Griffin which delivers a solid number of laughs. Denise Richards' character is called "White She-Devil", which gives you an idea of what to expect. Rotten Tomatoes (77%) approves.
I loved the names of all the characters:
Undercover Brother
Smart Brother
Conspiracy Brother
Sista Girl
White She Devil
The Man
and last but NOT least...Lance (what can I say? Affirmative Action)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDfromLA View Post
American History X (1998) amazing film, an overlooked classic. Powerful as heck. Should have received multiple Oscars.
Not really a "stupid little movie", then, is it? (Though apart from that I agree with your assessment of it.)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:35 PM

How is it possible that we're more than 100 posts into this thread, and no one has yet mentioned "Demolition Man"?

If I happen to see this while flipping through the channels, it becomes physically impossible to separate me from the TV.

Everyone remembers the Taco Bell and three seashells jokes. But personally the following bit is my favorite.

Quote:
Nigel Hawthorne delivering his lines with utter contempt: Detective, the only thing I haven't got under control is you. But that can be solved. You, my Cro-Magnon friend, are dead. Your family's dead, your past is dead. Dead things cannot affect the living. So enjoy your moment of prehistoric bravado, because after you leave here it will be over. Like everything else in your life.Officer, return this man to cryo-stasis immediately.
Be well.

Sly Stallone, raising gun and pointing it at Hawthorne: Be Fucked.

Citation dispenser in background: BZZZZZ! John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal-morality....

Sly fires his gun at the dispenser causing Hawthorne's henchman to faint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nKnuSAPQE

Last edited by joebuck20; 05-16-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I loved the names of all the characters:
Undercover Brother
Smart Brother
Conspiracy Brother
Sista Girl
White She Devil
The Man
and last but NOT least...Lance (what can I say? Affirmative Action)
Undercover Brother walks around with a large "UB" belt buckle. Even though he's, you know, undercover....
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Twenty Bucks?

That the ensemble with Steve Buscemi and Christopher Lloyd (among others)? Follows a $20 through all the people who possess it? That was a good movie.
Yes, unaccountably obscure.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Josie and the Pussycats (2001) was far better than it had any reason to be.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) a very funny stupid little movie. From the company that brought you "Zombies of Mora Tau" and "Lawrence of Arabia."
I have seen a great MANY movies that claim to be loving, hilarious homages to the sort of cheesy fifties monster movies I love so much.

Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra
is among the very, VERY few that I thought was both funny and pretty good. For some reason, them what makes homages simply seem to think if it's a bad movie with a bad monster suit, that's enough.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:58 AM

Nice thread, reads like a trawl through my DVD collectioni (Long Kiss Goodnight, Mystery Men, Undercover Brother, Pleasantville!). One that wasn't mentioned is Speechless (1994). I found it a fun little movie about Geena Davis as a speechwriter, and Michael Keaton writing speeches for the opposing candidate. They fall in love and hijinks ensue. While not the greatest of comedies, part of the charm is the chemistry between the two leads who have a nice old-fashioned way of bantering and bickering.

Last edited by Tusculan; 05-18-2020 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added year
Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love in 1996 got mixed reviews: while they loved it for its lush and colorful set design, costuming, and cinematography, they criticized the thinness of its plot.

But the central importance of the Kama Sutra film is that it was the first to foreground women's sexual desires in Indian cinema, where sex had theretofore been emphasizing rape. Mira Nair held women-only showings in India, which was important given the social strictures around gender and sexuality in public, for women to get a chance to see it unharassed.

Also, Rekha is not just a superstar of Bollywood, she is a legend. She was in Kama Sutra a few years after her retirement as the supreme leading lady of film, now appearing as a wise woman teaching women to be empowered with their own sexuality.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM

I just thought of two more movies that qualify here, both with Nicholas Cage.

National Treasure
(2004) [6.8 IMDB]
Bangkok Dangerous (2008) [5.8 IMDB]

I liked both a lot, but not quite enough to make my personal Top 100 List.

Quote:
Inspired by my own mention of it in this thread, I'm rewatching Bound right now. Very good IMHO.

As an "intellectual" exercise I may prune my Top 100 list to a Top Fifty! Bound is likely to make the cut.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:40 PM

Airheads (1995) - has 25% on Rotten Tomatoes and 45% on Metacritic making it woefully underrated. I love it start to finish, it’s so quotable. My roommate in college and I must have seen it shy of 50 times.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Inspired by my own mention of it in this thread, I'm rewatching Bound right now. Very good IMHO.
I notice that Bound was written and directed by the Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry) who have since become the Wachowski Sisters (Lilly and Lana)! Bound was their first movie. Next came The Matrix and its sequels, none of which I watched, and V for Vendetta, which I enjoyed. Jupiter Ascending is another film by the Wachowski Sisters maybe I'll watch it even though it gets a low IMDB score.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I believe Jupiter Ascending was the subject of an episode of How Did This Get Made? Watch the movie and then listen to the podcast!