View Poll Results: Select your current planned vote for President in November
Trump 24 13.19%
Democratic Candidate 142 78.02%
Third Party 12 6.59%
No vote 4 2.20%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Who will you vote for in November?

I'm aware that we ask this question often, but given current events I'd like to get a snapshot of the voting situation. This poll is private, but feel free to discuss your vote in the comments.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 05-05-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:08 PM

No choice for '"ham sandwich"?

OK, Dem then.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:10 PM

Third party. I would have gone Libertarian but I think this Covid pandemic has firmly demonstrated the failure of libertarian ideology. I might go Green Party, or just write in some person's name instead.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:12 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
No choice for '"ham sandwich"?
Yes, the first choice in the poll.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-05-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:34 AM
Suspended

I clicked on Dem but since my California won't go for Putin's puppy I have other options.Maybe Cthulhu. We'll see who's alive come November 2020 - and if the US isn't under martial-law lockdown then. Not this wimpy Shelter In Place stuff but a REAL lockdown with troops in the streets as I've seen elsewhere.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Cue the angry sandwich attacking the Swedish Chef (or a backstage Kermit the Frog) on Muppet Show — angry for slandering the good character of ham sandwiches everywhere!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Third party. I would have gone Libertarian but I think this Covid pandemic has firmly demonstrated the failure of libertarian ideology. I might go Green Party, or just write in some person's name instead.
I am Libertarian, would you expound on that?
Old 05-06-2020, 09:47 AM

This is not the year to vote third party. Every vote counts. You either vote for the Democratic nominee or you're voting to end democracy itself. The choice it that simple. If you have to hold your nose, do it.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I am Libertarian, would you expound on that?
I'll keep my answer short to not derail the thread: You don't beat Covid-19 with a government that maximizes individual freedom and choice. You need a meddlesome government that imposes lockdowns, quarantines, uses stimulus to help spur a damaged economy, and uses a bit of Big Brother to track infected people. A society that maximizes individual freedom and choice is going to see skyrocketing Covid deaths.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I'll keep my answer short to not derail the thread: You don't beat Covid-19 with a government that maximizes individual freedom and choice. You need a meddlesome government that imposes lockdowns, quarantines, uses stimulus to help spur a damaged economy, and uses a bit of Big Brother to track infected people. A society that maximizes individual freedom and choice is going to see skyrocketing Covid deaths.
Thank you Velocity.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Anything but Trump, man.

A blender. Anything.

(line originally appeared on the 1972 comedy album National Lampoon Radio Dinner, re: Nixon)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:33 AM

I will not be voting for President this fall. Given the demographics of my state, my vote will be inconsequential. And, my wife would kill me if I did.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Vote for those downballot races, friend.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I will not be voting for President this fall. Given the demographics of my state, my vote will be inconsequential. And, my wife would kill me if I did.
Your wife would kill you for voting for president...?
Old 05-06-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Obligatory reminder that the membership of the SDMB provides nothing resembling a "snapshot of the voting situation", and that the subset of SDMB members who respond to a voluntary poll is even less of such a snapshot.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
The simple solution is to vote the way your wife wants you to. Or at least tell her that.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
This is not the year to vote third party. Every vote counts. You either vote for the Democratic nominee or you're voting to end democracy itself. The choice it that simple. If you have to hold your nose, do it.
Not even remotely true.
Every vote does not count. If you live in about ten swing states, good for you- your vote for president counts. Otherwise, nope. There is no democracy to end, as the electoral college is a rigged system.

I will be voting for democrats in my competitive local and Congressional elections, but Old Man Biden isn't getting my vote. I held my nose and voted for Hillary after swearing to never vote for anyone who supported the Iraq War because Trump was so horrible. All that accomplished was helping Clinton sycophants whine nonstop for almost 4 years about how she actually won the popular vote, as if that matters one bit.

Since my vote for president is meaningless anyway, I'll just vote for Amash.

Last edited by pjacks; 05-06-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:58 AM

But it does count. If every person who votes in a non-swing state goes ahead and votes for Biden, that will run up the score and make Donald's defeat even more conclusive. Beating him in popular vote 52-47 is a whole lot better than beating him 49-47- we need to show that a majority of voters solidly rejects him and everything he stands for.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
But it does count. If every person who votes in a non-swing state goes ahead and votes for Biden, that will run up the score and make Donald's defeat even more conclusive. Beating him in popular vote 52-47 is a whole lot better than beating him 49-47- we need to show that a majority of voters solidly rejects him and everything he stands for.
Who do we need to show that? Republicans will simply brush off a Biden popular vote win as overrepresention from NY and CA, and moronic "swing" voters won't even know what the popular vote margin is because they don't ever have a clue about anything. Do we need to show foreigners? They are dealing with their own mini-Trumps messing up their own countries, so I doubt they care whether Biden wins by 2 percentage points or 5. Trump himself will say it was all rigged anyway regardless of what the results are.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:12 PM

I'm Canadian, so obviously I won't be voting in the election, but if I were to vote it would be for Biden. I didn't answer the poll so as to not throw off the numbers.

Trump is a danger to Americans, American democracy, and in some aspects the world (climate change, and international diplomacy mainly). He is too incompetent to remain as president for another minute let alone another four years.

In my view, the only reasonable vote is what is best for the country and that is to vote for whomever removes Trump from office.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 05-06-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

How about this: If every person in a non-swing state who ordinarily doesn't vote, instead voted for Biden, then Biden would win every single one of them, even the likes of Utah and Wyoming.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
How about this: If every person in a non-swing state who ordinarily doesn't vote, instead voted for Biden, then Biden would win every single one of them, even the likes of Utah and Wyoming.
This is a more far-fetched scenario than Amash being elected.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
This is a more far-fetched scenario than Amash being elected.
You're not wrong about that. But hey, we can dream.

Me, I hope Biden wins this one, decides he's unfit for a second term but leaves in a good position for a younger more progressive Dem to run and win in 2024. Now it is just about getting Trump out.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Obligatory reminder that the membership of the SDMB provides nothing resembling a "snapshot of the voting situation", and that the subset of SDMB members who respond to a voluntary poll is even less of such a snapshot.

There are Trump voters here. If they're here, they're everywhere. I can't fathom it, but it's reality. It's a snapshot, but not the entire picture.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:12 PM

I'll be voting third party, just as I did last time. I don't vote for rapists, regardless of what color tie they wear. I also think it's a poor idea to vote for malignant narcissists and people far gone in dementia. If the Dems pull their heads out and nominate someone without credible rape charges against them and who has a progressive platform then I'll reevaluate but I think the chances of that are about as good as that of a snowball in a cyclotron so here we are. And so it goes.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm not comfortable answering the poll as worded. I know it probably looks simple & self-explanatory, but...

I live in New York State. Me not voting for the Democratic candidate here in New York has a vastly different impact than me not voting for the Democratic candidate in North Carolina would. (If Joe Biden is even remotely in danger of not snagging New York's electoral votes, he's toast; it means he's losing Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Hampshire, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, etc).

I'm registered Green. We have a good candidate who would actually make a very good President were he to be elected. We don't — at this point, in 2020, without ranked choice voting in place yet — run Presidential candidates with the expectation that they'll win the election. We run Presidential candidates as a mechanism for getting progressive issues out there, in front of more voters, which has the effect of pulling the Democratic Party in a more progressive direction by making its candidates compete for Green votes.

If I lived in North Carolina (etc) in the absence of ranked choice voting, I would vote for Joe Biden, no two ways about it.

If I lived in North Carolina and they did have ranked choice voting I'd cast my first choice for Howie Hawkins, Green Party candidate for Prez, and my second choice for Joe Biden, the Democratic Party candidate. When it was determined that Hawkins received fewer votes than any other candidate (or any other candidate whose voters hadn't already been switched to their next choices), he would be eliminated from consideration and my vote would be reallocated to Joe Biden.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
There are Trump voters here. If they're here, they're everywhere. I can't fathom it, but it's reality. It's a snapshot, but not the entire picture.
There isn't a state in the union that votes 75% D.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:20 PM

To be fair, DC votes >90% D.

Of course you all have your right to vote third party. But let's be honest, the Green or Libertarian candidates are not going to receive one electoral vote and will not do so in our lifetimes. Normally, you're not hurting anyone by voting third party. But in 2016, the Greens contributed to Hillary losing the election. We can't risk that happening again. My hope is that for just one election, everyone votes D so that we can resoundingly defeat the evil that is currently in the White House.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd rather have the ham sandwich than trump.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth AHunter3:

I'm registered Green. We have a good candidate who would actually make a very good President were he to be elected.
Then why are you running Hawkins instead of that guy?
Old 05-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

So, people love to talk about Joe and his gaffes- read this:
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/6/2124907...ew-coronavirus

It was as though Trump had never thought about it before. And it wasn’t the only moment in which the president was flummoxed. He had no plan for bringing the spread of the virus under control and offered little beyond his widely criticized idea that states should reopen their economies swiftly — even though none has met the White House coronavirus task force’s criteria for doing so.

The interview took place during Trump’s at times surreal, mask-less trip to a Honeywell plant in Phoenix, Arizona, where masks are produced. ..It took Muir just one question to demonstrate that Trump has no defense beyond deflection.

“What did you do when you became president to restock those cupboards that you say are bare?” he asked.

“Well, I’ll be honest, uh, I have a lot of things going on,” Trump began, in a sound bite tailor-made for an attack ad. “We had a lot of, uh, people, that refused to allow the country to be successful. They wasted a lot of time on ‘Russia, Russia, Russia’ — that turned out to be a total hoax. Then they did ‘Ukraine, Ukraine,’ and that was a total hoax. Then they impeached the president for absolutely no reason.”...
Trump’s attempt to defend the comment didn’t make sense:

"So let me, let me — I said even, you would say, worse than that, I said “one person” one time. And it’s true. There was a time when we had one person in this country. We knew about it, we worked on it, but we have one person. It mushroomed. The 15 people mushroomed. Other people were coming in also from Europe"....As Trump rambled, he misspoke about which country he’s leading (“I banned people from coming into China”) and brandished a sheet of paper meant to demonstrate how great the US is in testing compared with other countries (never mind that the US has more than twice as many coronavirus deaths as the four countries he used for comparison combined)...“I’m viewing our great citizens of this country to a certain extent and to a large extent as warriors. They’re warriors. We can’t keep our country closed. We have to open our country,” Trump said. “Will some people be badly affected? Yes.”..By “badly affected,” Trump meant dead.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Indeed. The same as 2016, maybe even more than 2016, any third-party vote is in reality a vote for Chump.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Indeed. The same as 2016, maybe even more than 2016, any third-party vote is in reality a vote for Chump.
Stop saying that, you know better. If you live in any of the non-swing states, it isn't true. I'm completely on the vote the Dem over Trump boat but saying what you're saying is silly.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Stop saying that, you know better. If you live in any of the non-swing states, it isn't true. I'm completely on the vote the Dem over Trump boat but saying what you're saying is silly.
You're only fooling yourself.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You're only fooling yourself.
You understand about the stupid ass Electoral College, that's the point.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Yes. The people saying, in essence, 'a squeaker-win for the Democrat in the Electoral College is exactly the same thing as a win in the Electoral that comes from a massive popular-vote advantage' are just plain wrong.

Technically, yes: either would make the Democrat President.

But in the bitter partisanship of the day, an overwhelming popular-vote win (that also includes an E.C. win) will be necessary to overcome all the opposition that the GOP will put up--both legal and not-legal.

In the current climate, a technical win is not good enough. The Democrats need to win by a devastatingly-large margin.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:35 PM

The Democratic party doesn't deserve to win by a devastatingly large margin. Their chosen candidate shouldn't be allowed to drive much less run for president. They have proven for decades that they don't understand how to wield power on the rare occasions when they actually have it, and they continue to be unable to expand their voterbase outside of a fleeting and temporary alliance with Never Trump republicans, who will inevitably return to a Trump-free GOP once he is gone. And believe it or not a lot of us don't agree with a huge chunk of the Democratic platform, whether it's gun control or identity politics or their perverse alliances with Wall Street elites, techbro psychopaths & Hollywood weirdos.

A squeeker EC vote win with a near-tie in the popular vote sounds about right for Biden & co actually.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The Democratic party doesn't deserve to win by a devastatingly large margin. ...
This is the strain of thought that goes, roughly:
  • A party and a candidate exist to please me personally, and therefore
  • The party and the candidate must "earn my vote," and therefore
  • Unless the party and/or the candidate tick off every box on my list of requirements, I will not vote at all.

This is a strain of thought pushed by those who wish to suppress voting.

A vote is not a prize you award to the party or candidate that courts you most eagerly. A vote is a tool you use to get as close as possible to what you want. Declining to vote is throwing away that tool.

A vote is not a valentine; it's a chess move.*

*attributed to Rebecca Solnit.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
This is the strain of thought that goes, roughly:
  • A party and a candidate exist to please me personally, and therefore
  • The party and the candidate must "earn my vote," and therefore
  • Unless the party and/or the candidate tick off every box on my list of requirements, I will not vote at all.

This is a strain of thought pushed by those who wish to suppress voting.

A vote is not a prize you award to the party or candidate that courts you most eagerly. A vote is a tool you use to get as close as possible to what you want. Declining to vote is throwing away that tool.

A vote is not a valentine; it's a chess move.*

*attributed to Rebecca Solnit.
What a romantic notion. My vote for president is a meaningless exercise in frustration, not a chess move. Me voting for Amash or Trump or Biden or Vermin Supreme does not make a lick a difference- the outcome would be the same. The vast majority of Americans are disenfranchised by the Electoral College and you want to say I'm suppressing voting. Ok.

And it's ultimately a strawman. Despite my disappointment in the party being at an all-time high, I will be voting straight ticket Dem outside of the presidential race.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I don't vote for rapists, regardless of what color tie they wear.
And rush to judgment is unfair, regardless of whether the accused is a rich white guy or the Central Park Five:

To buy into Tara Reade’s accusations against Biden is to enter an endless cycle of slander
Old 05-06-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post
And rush to judgment is unfair, regardless of whether the accused is a rich white guy or the Central Park Five:

To buy into Tara Reade’s accusations against Biden is to enter an endless cycle of slander
What a long overdue response to MeToo, cancel culture & the media outrage machine. Funny how it's only now being written.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:43 PM

I'm voting Green this year, as Biden is guaranteed to win California. I hope he beats Trump, but I'm done voting for conservatives and centrists, regardless of what party they belong to. And no, I don't want Biden to beat Trump by a huge margin. I want the election to be close, to show the Dems that even as horrible as Trump is, they need to do way better.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
...I'm done voting for conservatives and centrists, regardless of what party they belong to.

I want the election to be close, to show the Dems that even as horrible as Trump is, they need to do way better.
If you're presuming that the message that will be taken from a close election is "we need a need a more left-leaning candidate, younger, with more charisma and less baggage", I'm kinda skeptical. Just as likely, really much more likely IMHO, the takeaway will be "we need another solidly centrist candidate, just younger, with more charisma and less baggage."
Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
If you're presuming that the message that will be taken from a close election is "we need a need a more left-leaning candidate, younger, with more charisma and less baggage", I'm kinda skeptical. Just as likely, really much more likely IMHO, the takeaway will be "we need another solidly centrist candidate, just younger, with more charisma and less baggage."
Then they will continue to lose, and if they are still so stubborn to not alter their tactics despite that, then they deserve to lose.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Then they will continue to lose, and if they are still so stubborn to not alter their tactics despite that, then they deserve to lose.
Democrats do not "continue to lose." There are many states where one or the other party has a lock, but both Democrats and Republicans win nationally about half the time.

As for whether centrist or extreme candidates do better in November, there never will be enough presidential races to get a statistically significant sample. But the evidence from the large number of House races is that moderates do a bit better.

If the economy remains terrible, even a socialist, who used to be a Trotskyite communist, might have won. Just not as strongly as Joe Biden will
Old 05-06-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
We have a good candidate who would actually make a very good President were he to be elected.
Then why are you running Hawkins instead of that guy?
Cute.

Do you have any basis for implying that Hawkins would not make an excellent President, were he to actually be elected? He's no nut case. He's neither an extremist nor the kind of person who embraces fringe bullshit thinking it makes him "edgy".

When asked to support the rent strike, for instance, he quickly pointed out that a lot of landlords aren't some kind of big corporate amalgamation but instead are mom & pop sized operations that themselves have to be protected from losing their property if they cease to bring in rent, and that therefore any rent cessation has to be linked to mortgage cessation; and that in any instance, it would be a dangerous idea to simply stop paying rent, that doing so is a good way to end up evicted.

I don't suggest you dash out and become a Howie supporter if you're in a swing state but don't disparage him without reason.

Last edited by AHunter3; 05-06-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Cute.

Do you have any basis for implying that Hawkins would not make an excellent President, were he to actually be elected? He's no nut case. He's neither an extremist nor the kind of person who embraces fringe bullshit thinking it makes him "edgy".

When asked to support the rent strike, for instance, he quickly pointed out that a lot of landlords aren't some kind of big corporate amalgamation but instead are mom & pop sized operations that themselves have to be protected from losing their property if they cease to bring in rent, and that therefore any rent cessation has to be linked to mortgage cessation; and that in any instance, it would be a dangerous idea to simply stop paying rent, that doing so is a good way to end up evicted.

I don't suggest you dash out and become a Howie supporter if you're in a swing state but don't disparage him without reason.
Well said. It ultimately comes down to disparaging any candidates who dare to question the two-party rule protected by the Electoral College. Howie Hawkins has no possibility of winning, but I don't vote for candidates based on their possibility of winning, I vote for the candidate that best represents my values and that I believe will best protect my rights.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well said. It ultimately comes down to disparaging any candidates who dare to question the two-party rule protected by the Electoral College. Howie Hawkins has no possibility of winning, but I don't vote for candidates based on their possibility of winning, I vote for the candidate that best represents my values and that I believe will best protect my rights.
Why not write in yourself, then? You have the exact same chance of winning as Howie, and I'll bet as much as you like him, there's probably some minor differences, but you know you are 100% in line with your own positions.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What a romantic notion. My vote for president is a meaningless exercise in frustration, not a chess move. Me voting for Amash or Trump or Biden or Vermin Supreme does not make a lick a difference- the outcome would be the same. The vast majority of Americans are disenfranchised by the Electoral College and you want to say I'm suppressing voting. Ok.....
Actually no. Altho it doesnt help in who wins, the Popular vote will help cement Bidens positions as leader. Let is say Biden wins, but with only a 5% edge in the popular vote- vs winning with a edge several times that. That edge will help show the nation that indeed- most of America is behind him. It's a moral thing, true, nowhere near as critical as the real vote, but it will help.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post

I also will not vote for a man who gropes young girls repeatedly and makes them uncomfortable, I will not vote for a man who touches women without their consent, I will not vote for a man who grabs women's hands and restrains them in order to make his point, I will not vote for a man who harassed and badgered a woman who brought sexual harassment charges against a SCOTUS appointee during his confirmation hearings, I will not vote for a man who cannot complete a sentence. All of these behaviors have extensive video and photographic evidence dating back decades.

I also will not vote for the person who wrote the Patriot Act. I will not vote for the person who pushed the Crime Bill that resulted in a massive increase in incarceration rates. I will not vote for a person who thinks that a woman's right to choose is not absolute. I will not vote for a segregationist. I will not vote for anyone who voted to begin the Iraq war. I will not vote for a person who is not fullheartedly in favor of Medicare For All, especially not one who declared, this year, that he would veto such a bill if it passed both houses and ended up on his desk if he were president. I will not vote for a person who will stand up in this day and age and call marijuana a "gateway drug."

I hope I've made myself clear enough on this issue that you will refrain from any further limp attempts at vote shaming me.