Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,806

We need a bi-partisan non-political campaign on wearing masks and social distancing


It's stupid that a public health issue has become so politicized, and that a man died attempting to enforce his company's policy on requiring customers to wear masks. Governments are capitulating when there is backlash over proposal of requirements.

Similar, when governments began requiring wearing of seat belts, banning smoking in public spaces, etc. The public eventually adopted to these new requirements (yes there are exceptions).

There's a lot of psychology involved with bucking against these sort of health mandates. Fear is probably the biggest. Fear of appearing weak, fear of losing freedoms, fear of admitting that we are all vulnerable.

We need a PR campaign that addresses these issues in a simple way that would better encourage all of us to think about each other.
  #2  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:28 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 41,279
Quote:
We need a bi-partisan non-political campaign on wearing masks and social distancing
Good luck with that.

Many things that should be nonpartisan, and that for most of my life had been nonpartisan, are now partisan as all get out.

It shouldn't be that way, but it is.
  #3  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,598
The UK has one. There are commercials and other advertising from the Government, the NHS, the media (of all stripes) and so forth. Channel 4 literally has the words "Stay at home" appearing in small print in the top corner of the screen at virtually all times.

And this is because the British public in general love the NHS and want to protect it and all its workers. (That said, there are always a fair number of idiots and crazies around, but the general point holds.)
  #4  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,704
OK, suppose we accept your premise.

Someone would have to be responsible for the PR campaign. Who would that be? Do we have an authoritative body that is universally admired and listened to across the political spectrum? I can't think of one.

In our current environment EVERYTHING is assumed to have a political underpinning. Even if it doesn't start out that way, someone somewhere is going to go online and get a lot of people worked up because the "they" who is running the PR has voted a certain way in the past or funding comes from some mildly innocuous source that is traced to a certain leaning (corporate, media, religious, you name it).

So, in 2020 USA, non-political is not allowed to exist.
__________________
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
- C. Darwin
  #5  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
It's stupid that a public health issue has become so politicized, and that a man died attempting to enforce his company's policy on requiring customers to wear masks. Governments are capitulating when there is backlash over proposal of requirements.

Similar, when governments began requiring wearing of seat belts, banning smoking in public spaces, etc. The public eventually adopted to these new requirements (yes there are exceptions).

There's a lot of psychology involved with bucking against these sort of health mandates. Fear is probably the biggest. Fear of appearing weak, fear of losing freedoms, fear of admitting that we are all vulnerable.

We need a PR campaign that addresses these issues in a simple way that would better encourage all of us to think about each other.
How can you have a bi-partisan campaign when half of the partisans don't think this is a big deal that requires masks and social distancing? The leader and vice-leader of those partisans refuse to set examples by wearing masks themselves, and actively encourage people to violate social distancing rules by protesting their own government. Your suggestion is silly from the start.

Last edited by RitterSport; 05-06-2020 at 12:41 PM.
  #6  
Old 05-06-2020, 01:31 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,781
IMHO Trump, Pence and many Republicans are committing bad leadership when not offering proper examples like presidents did in the recent past:

https://time.com/5093600/president-trump-flu-shot/
Quote:
President Trump has no legal obligation to get a flu vaccine or make public whether or not he has received one.

But with his medical exam coming up, some public health experts are hopeful he will get one—and talk about it. Data shows that less than half of Americans got their flu vaccine for the 2016–17 influenza season.

“I can’t provide studies on whether if the President gets the vaccine, it will increase coverage,” says Daniel Salmon, the deputy director of the Institute for Vaccine Safety at Johns Hopkins. “But when President Ford and President Obama got vaccinated [publicly], they were sending the message that it’s really important. If leadership is not sure — well geez, I wouldn’t be so sure either.”
While that is about vaccines (and Trump showed already a lot of irresponsibility about vaccines) just replace "vaccines" with "masks" and you will notice how scatterbrained the way of giving examples is coming from the current administration.

And for this pandemic, it looks like masks are one of the best ways to limit the number of infected and dead going forward.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...face-masks.htm
Quote:
The number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in Austria dropped from 90 to 10 cases per one million people, two weeks after the government required everyone to wear a face mask on April 6.
  #7  
Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
How can you have a bi-partisan campaign when half of the partisans don't think this is a big deal that requires masks and social distancing?
That's not true. You're practicing the very thing you accuse many of those on the right accuse of the left. Not every liberal thinks the same way just as every conservative doesn't think the same way.

So is there another entity or groups of entities that would be seen to have respected regard similar to the NHS in the UK?
  #8  
Old 05-06-2020, 03:03 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
That's not true. You're practicing the very thing you accuse many of those on the right accuse of the left. Not every liberal thinks the same way just as every conservative doesn't think the same way.

So is there another entity or groups of entities that would be seen to have respected regard similar to the NHS in the UK?
The CDC or the NIH, I guess. Maybe HHS? Would they be allowed to do that kind of PSA? Doubtful. What you no doubt understand, but somehow seem to be ignoring, is that the head of the USA would be against such a message, and is actively working against such a message. That doesn't leave any federal entities available to push this non-partisan message.

Some huge majority of conservatives watch Fox News and nothing else, and Fox News isn't about to push this message, that's for sure. The other side of the partisan divide has more diverse news sources, but none of them are considered non-partisan anymore, because the president refers to them as the lamestream media.

The National Weather Service couldn't get a message out that contradicted the president. When the HHS website said that their stockpile was for the States and Jared Kushner said otherwise, they changed the website. Could HHS get that message out? Doubtful.

Mods, I'm sorry if my answer seems political, but I don't know how to respond to this thread in a non-political way. The reason why we can't get this message out is political.
  #9  
Old 05-06-2020, 03:13 PM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
Pew Research: 5 facts about partisan reactions to COVID-19 in the U.S.
  1. Majorities in both parties say that a range of restrictions have been necessary to confront the outbreak.
  2. There is a wide partisan gap on views of President Donald Trump’s response to the outbreak.
  3. Democrats are more likely than Republicans to see the coronavirus in the most serious terms.
  4. Similar shares of Republicans and Democrats say someone in their household has either lost a job or taken a pay cut.
  5. Republicans and Democrats differ on how people across the country are reacting to the outbreak.
I don't see much space for bipartisan cooperation. One side accepts science, the other resists reality. Sad.
  #10  
Old 05-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,135
Good luck with that. Despite the claims of the reopen people that “now we have learned to be safe, business can reopen because we will practice distancing and wear masks”, the leader of ReOpen NC is calling for boycotts of businesses that require their customers to wear masks.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/05/04/reop...rs-wear-masks/
  #11  
Old 05-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 45,466
I don't see how politics can be avoided in this discussion. Moving to Politics and Elections.

Colibri
QZ Moderator
  #12  
Old 05-06-2020, 03:47 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 30,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
The CDC or the NIH, I guess. Maybe HHS? Would they be allowed to do that kind of PSA? Doubtful. What you no doubt understand, but somehow seem to be ignoring, is that the head of the USA would be against such a message, and is actively working against such a message. That doesn't leave any federal entities available to push this non-partisan message.
I've been seeing this one-minute PSA from the CDC for well over a month now. It's been on various cable channels, even ones you wouldn't expect, like HBO. This one doesn't mention wearing a mask but it demonstrates that they certainly were allowed to do that sort of thing.
  #13  
Old 05-06-2020, 04:00 PM
Corry El is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
It's stupid that a public health issue has become so politicized, and that a man died attempting to enforce his company's policy on requiring customers to wear masks. Governments are capitulating when there is backlash over proposal of requirements.
.....
We need a PR campaign that addresses these issues in a simple way that would better encourage all of us to think about each other.
To some extent the issue is an active (...political) backlash against restrictions. But doing a lot more walking nowadays to replace going to the gym I can easily see that following the guidelines varies quite a lot by area, and partly according to race/class in the very heavily Democratic area where I live. It's not just a red state 'freedom' thing. It's very obviously less closely followed in still predominantly Spanish speaking areas adjacent to the nowadays pretty yuppified area I live in, both right next to NY. This is showing up in infection stats also.

So on one hand an effort to get more uniform adherence to those protocols would not be directly banging its head against a partisan political wall. But OTOH it's one of those cases where the upper middle class part of the Democratic party might tend to underestimate how differently they see various things than other parts of their party's coalition. It also includes for example businesses which AFAIK are still not supposed to be open here in NJ but in certain areas you walk by them, and they are. The owners, workers and/or customers probably think there's a pressing reason for this, rather than never having been told other people think they should not. I'm not sure having more public service communication is really going to change that, even though on the positive side these are not the segments of the population that instinctively want to do that opposite of whatever the 'NY-centric left wing elite' says they should.

Also on masks in particular I think the experts lost a good deal of credibility long saying (for various direct and indirect reasons) that masks didn't matter much.

And finally we need to always consider how limited our quantitative knowledge of how this disease spreads still is. For example in I think today's briefing Cuomo said that NYS had found 66% of recent new hospitalizations for COVID were of people who were ostensibly staying home. 'Shocking' he said relative to a previous expectation that a lot more would concentrated in 'essential workers' taking public transport, being in close quarters indoor with coworkers and customers for hours a day, etc. Part of this is obviously that people who stay home are older and have more preexisting conditions, but it could also be quiet non-political refusal to follow basic protocol in social contact with family and neighbors, especially in certain class, racial, ethnic, etc groups.

So some people are going to see the restrictions themselves as a political power play by 'leftist elites' (as they perceive it), and the more those elites are seen to push for those restrictions the more they push back (like a number of other issues). But a maybe bigger group just doesn't listen to what they are told to do, in a less political way, not necessarily at all in a left v right way, but they still don't listen.

Last edited by Corry El; 05-06-2020 at 04:02 PM.
  #14  
Old 05-06-2020, 04:01 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I've been seeing this one-minute PSA from the CDC for well over a month now. It's been on various cable channels, even ones you wouldn't expect, like HBO. This one doesn't mention wearing a mask but it demonstrates that they certainly were allowed to do that sort of thing.
"That sort of thing" being the "avoid crowds, stay home if you can"? Because that's the weakest reference to social distancing possible. Plus, someone who is young and healthy would watch that PSA and could decide that he's not at risk, because he's not one of the groups mentioned.

The OP is asking for a PSA that specifically focuses on wearing masks and social distancing -- do you think that will come from this administration?
  #15  
Old 05-06-2020, 05:04 PM
joebuck20 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,021
I seem to recall that George W. Bush put his father and Bill Clinton in charge of a commission to raise funds for disaster relief after the 2004 tsunami. If we had a saner administration, I imagine they would be doing something similar, producing a PSA campaign featuring, say, Obama and George W. urging people to social distance and wear masks.
  #16  
Old 05-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 30,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I've been seeing this one-minute PSA from the CDC for well over a month now. It's been on various cable channels, even ones you wouldn't expect, like HBO. This one doesn't mention wearing a mask but it demonstrates that they certainly were allowed to do that sort of thing.
"That sort of thing" being the "avoid crowds, stay home if you can"? Because that's the weakest reference to social distancing possible. Plus, someone who is young and healthy would watch that PSA and could decide that he's not at risk, because he's not one of the groups mentioned.

The OP is asking for a PSA that specifically focuses on wearing masks and social distancing -- do you think that will come from this administration?
Here is another government PSA that specifically talks about social distancing; you might recognize the people in the video. Admittedly, it doesn't mention mask wearing but I think that's because it and the earlier one were produced before the message was for everyone to wear masks.
  #17  
Old 05-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,033
The GOP has spent the last decade or more telling people that scientists are all just ivory tower elitists who can't be trusted in climate change or vaccines or medicine or whatever. The "ReOpen" campaigns are being funded by right-wing groups and are full of gun nuts and "states right" lunatics who care more about waving AR-15s at cops than what the CDC has to say. The president has scientific advisors who say the disease came from one place and then publicly ignores them and says that he thinks it must have come from Chinese labs and he's, of course, always right about this stuff (doctors tell him all the time how much he just knows about medicine is amazing!). There's no space for a "Bipartisan campaign" because one side of the aisle has spent over a decade demonizing science and saying that folksy common sense is just as good.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.
  #18  
Old 05-06-2020, 05:30 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Here is another government PSA that specifically talks about social distancing; you might recognize the people in the video. Admittedly, it doesn't mention mask wearing but I think that's because it and the earlier one were produced before the message was for everyone to wear masks.
That's a great start!

I'm surprised the president and vice president aren't tweeting out links to that video to his followers.
  #19  
Old 05-06-2020, 06:49 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,197
The fact that we need a bi-partisan non-political campaign about basic precautions is the reason we can't have one. Because this administration has decided to make a partisan political issue out of it.

Any information campaign designed to tell people they should wear masks and avoid unnecessary gatherings will now have to go up against the President telling people they don't have to listen and encouraging people to resist these instructions. And accusing the people who are giving out the information of making political attacks against him.
  #20  
Old 05-06-2020, 10:23 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,461
I’d say part of the problem is that a lot people are sceptical about if wearing masks does any good at all or if it’s more of a show that we’re doing ‘something.’ That includes me, btw.

The people protesting smoking laws and seatbelt laws were simply using the ‘my right, my freedom’ excuse. There’s overwhelming evidence in favor of not smoking and wearing seat belts.

The mandatory masks seem to have fallen into TSA category now. Many people think the liquids and shoe dance at airports are pointless security masquerade. We obey, grudgingly, because we don’t want some $12/hr TSA agent with delusions of Godhood make us miss our flight.

Mandatory masks seem like the compromise of we’ll let flights resume but now we’re gonna make security really strict. At least it may be of comfort as the security masquerade may have helped some people return to flying after being scared shitless after 9/11 and mandatory masks may help people start to think it’s ok and they can go to the store.

So, no, I don’t think some bipartisan campaign will help. I think most of are overwhelmed, confused, upset, and bombarded by news that seems to change every hour.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His

Last edited by dalej42; 05-06-2020 at 10:24 PM.
  #21  
Old 05-06-2020, 10:29 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 21,238
I'm onboard with the OP's premise.

Any way I can help?
  #22  
Old 05-07-2020, 08:14 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,124
OP, don't you think this kind of bi-partisan leadership has to come from the very top? I know we're all used to Trump's daily rants against the press, the Democrats, and other perceived enemies of the state, but every other president, and I mean every other president would be expressing grief at the tremendous losses this pandemic has caused (life and economic), leading by example, and listening to the experts. A normal president would be posting those PSAs, reminding people to distance and wear masks, and so on.

With the president actively pushing people to protest their own governments over this very issue, your wish for a bi-partisan non-political campaign is a pipe dream.
  #23  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:25 AM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I seem to recall that George W. Bush put his father and Bill Clinton in charge of a commission to raise funds for disaster relief after the 2004 tsunami. If we had a saner administration, I imagine they would be doing something similar, producing a PSA campaign featuring, say, Obama and George W. urging people to social distance and wear masks.
There's no one saying they can't. It doesn't have to come from the administration or a federal agency.
  #24  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
The message has to be more than just "wear masks". Because if you look around at most of the people wearing masks, the masks are doing no good at all, and possibly making things worse. The message needs to include how to wear a mask. When you've got people who pull their mask down to their chin whenever they're talking, and then pull it back up, they're probably making things worse than if they weren't wearing a mask at all. And when the social messaging is that those people are doing something good, that naturally leads to people thinking that it's just theater.
  #25  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
OP, don't you think this kind of bi-partisan leadership has to come from the very top? I know we're all used to Trump's daily rants against the press, the Democrats, and other perceived enemies of the state, but every other president, and I mean every other president would be expressing grief at the tremendous losses this pandemic has caused (life and economic), leading by example, and listening to the experts. A normal president would be posting those PSAs, reminding people to distance and wear masks, and so on.

With the president actively pushing people to protest their own governments over this very issue, your wish for a bi-partisan non-political campaign is a pipe dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
There's no one saying they can't. It doesn't have to come from the administration or a federal agency.
That's just it -- in the past, it would have come from the administration or a federal agency because that's whom Americans trusted. But that trust has been destroyed. So what organization should now assume the responsibility and cost of creating this message, especially when the current administration would shout it down the minute it was released?
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #26  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
There's no one saying they can't. It doesn't have to come from the administration or a federal agency.

The problem with the idea of having a bi-partisan non-political campaign, is that the leadership of one of the political parties has decided to make it a partisan issue. So even if an non-governmental, non-partisan independent group started sending out PCAs about how we should all wear masks it would be viewed as partisan by those of that party. You might as well ask that there be a non-partisan PCA ads about climate change, or the dangers of keeping guns in the home.

Yes, it shouldn't be this way but its not something for which both sides are equally to blame.
  #27  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:37 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 64,030
Next up: Creating a coalition of game wardens and poachers to form a policy on conservation.
  #28  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:28 AM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
That's just it -- in the past, it would have come from the administration or a federal agency because that's whom Americans trusted. But that trust has been destroyed. So what organization should now assume the responsibility and cost of creating this message, especially when the current administration would shout it down the minute it was released?
The US military has been the most trusted governmental institution for some years but they're under Donny's command. A site in 2017 listed the most trusted NGOs - with themselves on top, ha ha - but too many either aren't household names or can be validly criticized IMHO. American Heart Association might come closest but anti-vaxxers won't like it, ewww...

No, I guess Liberty First! activists will just have to watch their friends and families sicken and die before they take the hint.
  #29  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:41 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
The US military has been the most trusted governmental institution for some years but they're under Donny's command. A site in 2017 listed the most trusted NGOs - with themselves on top, ha ha - but too many either aren't household names or can be validly criticized IMHO. American Heart Association might come closest but anti-vaxxers won't like it, ewww...

No, I guess Liberty First! activists will just have to watch their friends and families sicken and die before they take the hint.
The military would actually be a great option. I wonder ... each branch has a marketing budget, which they currently use for recruitment. Suppose the Joint Chiefs could get together and reallocate the rest of that 2020 spend to a combined masks-and-distancing message -- without Trump finding out?

When he tries to counter that message, he'll probably end up accusing the US military of treason. That'll go over real well.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #30  
Old 05-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,817
Didn't the President himself say he wasn't going to wear one? At a press conference in front of the whole country?

Didn't the VP refuse to wear a mask in a fricken' hospital?

While I may agree with the OP, I think it's pretty clear why it can't happen at this point. A month ago? Sure. But this ship has sailed. It will become a "you're wearing a mask - you must be a libtard" kind of situation.

The CDC drafted a large document with rules and guidelines for re-opening. States have been clamoring for this since it is one of the few US institutions with the clout to be respected by all of their citizens. The White House shut it down saying the reopening plans must come from the state governments.
  #31  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,135
My prediction is that the right wing will start pushing back against any sort of social distancing next week. I’m already seeing it start.
Last week the reopenings were going to be responsible. They swore they were all in behind distancing and masking. “We have learned how to be safe, we don’t need closures anymore“ seemed to be the party line.

They are already boycotting businesses that require masking and spreading the narrative that masks increase the risks . The pushback against distancing is next.

Now that the conservatives can go sit down inside the mall parking lot restaurants, they’re complaining that it’s no fun going out if the restaurant is half empty and the server is masked.
Besides the businesses can’t survive financially with distancing. And distancing isn’t fun, if we have to protect ourselves we might as well not go at all.

Anyway - this is the latest misinformation - we have lost all our natural immunity by staying home for six weeks and we must get it back. We need to run out and let people breathe on us NOW.

My mom has Parkinson’s and lives in a nursing home. I had an chat with her nurse yesterday. They are still COVID free but they are more concerned than ever, as other nursing homes in the area have just started to have outbreaks. Plus, they are starting to get pushback against the lockdown by families that are disagreeing that it’s necessary. They sound really stressed.

ETA- Forgot to mention that the government’s initial rejection of masks for the general public is part of the problem. According to Rick Bright’s whistleblower complaint, that misinformation was part of the strategy ( actually, their entire strategy ) for dealing the with mask shortages,

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-08-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017