Old 05-09-2020, 01:38 PM
Horrified Onlooker

The Thing (John Carpenter) appreciation

If you like Carpenter's The Thing, you might enjoy this. It was mentioned in the SDMB several years ago, which is how I learned about it. I'm posting because I just re-read it last night and had forgotten how good it is.

SciFi writer Peter Watts gives us a look at the story from the alien's point of view.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
Old 05-09-2020, 01:51 PM

Nice. This movie terrified me for years as a child.

For boardgamers, a 2nd Edition version of Who Goes There (based on the source novel) was recently campaigned on Kickstarter. The campaign is over but the game is still available for preorder. I don't have any association with Certifiable Studios other than being a KS backer to the game.

Stranger
Old 05-09-2020, 07:35 PM

It's my absolute favorite movie. Thanks for the link!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 PM

It is a great film. Carpenter's best.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:52 PM

The scenes with the dog I could watch over and over. Just rewatched a day or two ago. One of the best science-fiction horror movies!

As for the story, very well done! Read it several times, and it weaves with the movie almost seamlessly. Off to read it again!

Last edited by tripthicket; 05-09-2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added a mention of the story since it's what the thread is about
Old 05-10-2020, 10:40 AM

Learned during my first viewing years ago to NOT watch movies like that after midnight.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:13 AM

Great movie and it ends on such a down note. I didn't realize for a while till watching fan theories about the ending how Kurt Russell's character Macready may have given Childs a jug of gasoline instead of alcohol to see if he was the creature, like he says there's not much he can do about it anyway, the creature can just go back to sleep and wait...
Old 05-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Great movie and it ends on such a down note. I didn't realize for a while till watching fan theories about the ending how Kurt Russell's character Macready may have given Childs a jug of gasoline instead of alcohol to see if he was the creature, like he says there's not much he can do about it anyway, the creature can just go back to sleep and wait...
Childs also doesn't produce condensation when he exhales until he sees macready doing it.

However irl identifying things should be easy. Just make everyone get piercings that you can't do yourself at home. Anyone who lacks one gets tested.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-10-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:54 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

My favorite scene is where the head detaches itself, flops on the floor, sprouts legs, skitters away and the guy says "You gotta be fucking kidding..."
Old 05-10-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
My favorite scene is where the head detaches itself, flops on the floor, sprouts legs, skitters away and the guy says "You gotta be fucking kidding..."
Made even more ironic when it turns out the guy making the comment is a Thing himself.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
If I remember correctly from the DVD commentary track, that's also Kurt Russell's favorite moment.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 PM

Apparently it was an influence on Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. There was also a little homage to the head scene in It:Chapter 2.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 PM
Charter Jays Fan

"You gotta be fucking kidding..." was referenced in "It Chapter Two." Wonderful line.

Whenever I visit my best friend or vice versa, we always watch "The Thing."

At Scott-Amundsen Station at the South Pole, the first night of winter - before they're trapped there in the dark for six months - they watch "The Thing."
Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Made even more ironic when it turns out the guy making the comment is a Thing himself.
It took me a lot of viewings before I realized that Windows freaked out over the discussion of who last had the keys because he was the one who last had the keys, and he dropped em when he saw bennings getting enThingulated.

I see something new everytime I watch it.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Learned during my first viewing years ago to NOT watch movies like that after midnight.
I learned after my first viewing that a person may find it difficult to go to bed and cuddle with a significant other afterwards. Good thing it was a several-dates-later and not first date movie as was originally planned.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Inspired by this thread, I got the Blu-ray and just finished watching it with the commentary track. Russell and Carpenter are great together, it's clear that they are good pals. I especially enjoyed Kurt's uninhibited guffaws at the most tense moments, he obviously had a blast revisiting the movie. Now I want to get Escape From New York so I can listen to that commentary track.

Last edited by blondebear; 05-16-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:04 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Inspired by this thread, I got the Blu-ray and just finished watching it with the commentary track. Russell and Carpenter are great together, it's clear that they are good pals. I especially enjoyed Kurt's uninhibited guffaws at the most tense moments, he obviously had a blast revisiting the movie. Now I want to get Escape From New York so I can listen to that commentary track.
Be warned- the DVD/BR Carpenter-Russell commentary track for Big Trouble In Little China (my favorite Carpenter film) is a disappointment. As I remember it they just aren't really into it and even start talking about their kids at one point. They obviously enjoy each other's company but it just isn't very interesting.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Be warned- the DVD/BR Carpenter-Russell commentary track for Big Trouble In Little China (my favorite Carpenter film) is a disappointment
That's a shame, it's such a good film.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:37 PM

I recall Roger Ebert calling this movie "the barf bag movie of the summer." I saw it at a drive-in, and it did kinda put me off my buttered popcorn. Some years later, I found a hardback book in a used book store titled "It Came from Hollywood," which contains the original stores on which many Hollywood sci-fi classics were based, including "Who Goes There," the basis of "The Thing." The original story is extremely well-written and descriptive, and Carpenter's movie follows the story very closely. I've read it several times, as recently as a month ago, and always find it a gripping tale. The movie's ending is a bit more downbeat, though.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:38 PM

Such a great movie for our current times: The whole suspicion over who is "infected" and who isn't, leading to the breakdown of their little civilized world. The one line from MacReady "...everyone prepare your own food...", Blair's primitive computer simulation of the spread to the world, etc.