Old 05-09-2020, 10:20 PM

Did Biden once lie about his college career?

Here is an old video going around where they point out that Biden lied about college: LINK

Biden basically is caught bragging about his college scholarship and his academic rating. I cant tell but it looks to be around 8-10 years old.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I'd be surprised if that clip is only 8 or ten years old. Biden looks quite a bit younger than he looks now. He was campaigning in New Hampshire. It could be 2012, but it sounds more like he's campaigning for himself so it's more likely 2008 or even for the 1988 election.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I'd be surprised if that clip is only 8 or ten years old. Biden looks quite a bit younger than he looks now. He was campaigning in New Hampshire. It could be 2012, but it sounds more like he's campaigning for himself so it's more likely 2008 or even for the 1988 election.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

That’s got to be 1987, probably more stuff from the Dukakis campaign.

I don’t give a damn what Biden or Trump did in college.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

In a recent article in Counterpunch, If Trump is a Pathological Liar, What Type of Liar is Biden? they list, "a sampling of some—certainly not all—of Biden’s lies in a variety of areas." Including:

Quote:
Attempting to make himself appear intelligent, Biden has lied about his academic record and his grades, lying about graduating in the top half of his law school class when in fact he graduated 76th in a class of 85. Then there is his infamous plagiarism that derailed his campaign to win the Democratic nomination for president in 1988. His plagiarizing of then British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock brought attention to Biden’s previous plagiarism at Syracuse University College of Law.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:40 PM

Is there anything from the 70s that we can dig up? I feel like this 1980s stuff is just too recent to be relevant.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Is there anything from the 70s that we can dig up? I feel like this 1980s stuff is just too recent to be relevant.
Hell, let's go back to the 60s and argue about the draft.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:20 AM

What the nation really needs is a further investigation into John Kerry’s actions in Vietnam...if he was actually even there.

Stranger
Old 05-10-2020, 01:38 AM
Suspended

>> Did Biden once lie about his college career?

I'll re-frame the question. Did Tramp ever NOT lie about his college career?

More questions. Did Biden ever say (on a national broadcast) that he wanted to fuck his underage daughter? Did Biden ever say there are good Nazis, Klansmen, war criminals, and traitors? Did Biden ever suggest (in an official televised event) that Americans poison themselves? Did Biden ever tweet brags about obstructing justice?

Putin and his puppy are scared shitless of Biden. Hence the attacks. Sad.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
Hell, let's go back to the 60s and argue about the draft.
I think Biden once lied about his weight. And there was that time he took a few strokes off his golf score... And that time he found a 5-dollar bill on the sidewalk and just stuffed it in his pocket!

Clearly an untrustworthy, pathological liar without one shred of decency and NOT Presidential material! Oh... wait...
Old 05-10-2020, 09:47 AM
BANNED

YOU might not .. but OTHERS may

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
That’s got to be 1987, probably more stuff from the Dukakis campaign.

I don’t give a damn what Biden or Trump did in college.

I don't think he's asking whether "YOU" or any other one person in particular care. One individual person might vote for him regardless of what he's done. He's simply asking if it occurred and BTY, Joe was about 45 and hardly a kid at that age. It may matter to HIM or he may be concerned that it will matter to a large number of voters.

YES, I think that lie has been confirmed just as the speech plagiarism committed around the same time has been confirmed. Why not just be straight up and answer his question?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:54 AM

You guys, you guys... I'm starting to think that this politics business is not strictly on the up and up and invites a type of person who is likely to be a bit of a bullshitter.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-10-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Is the Politics and Election page really gonna turn into the attack Biden on meaningless issues page?

Let me make this clear- Biden is the nominee. Even if Biden did withdraw, his votes wouldnt go to Sanders.

So the berni-bro hits on Biden are doing nothing but helping trump.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
What the nation really needs is a further investigation into John Kerry’s actions in Vietnam...if he was actually even there.

Stranger
Or whether George W. Bush was AWOL in the 1960's? Or perhaps what the meaning of 'boof' was in Justice Kavanaugh's high school yearbook.

Then we can start an investigation into whether Mitt Romney was guilty of bullying a kid in high school, or whether he tied his dog's crate to the roof of his car 30 years ago.

In case you don't get it, both sides have had no problem digging as far back into the past as they can if they can turn it into political advantage. This is absolutely nothing new.

Also not new: Each side blusters and stamps their feet and calls foul when the other side engages in it.

Also, since Biden was a grown adult and a sitting Senator at the time of these complaints, they are relevant. There is no statute of limitations on being a lousy politician.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 05-10-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Or whether George W. Bush was AWOL in the 1960's? Or perhaps what the meaning of 'boof' was in Justice Kavanaugh's high school yearbook.

Then we can start an investigation into whether Mitt Romney was guilty of bullying a kid in high school, or whether he tied his dog's crate to the roof of his car 30 years ago.

In case you don't get it, both sides have had no problem digging as far back into the past as they can if they can turn it into political advantage. This is absolutely nothing new.

Also not new: Each side blusters and stamps their feet and calls foul when the other side engages in it.
The beauty of the current administration is that the lies occur every day in real time! Not that we can't also go into the archives, but there's really no need to.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Thank God we got "both sides do it" in here.

Biden has a history of embellishment and even outright plagiarism. This is not new information. He's also handsy, and has admitted he has made women feel uncomfortable. Also not new information.

Now the voters can weigh those sins against the Presidency of Donald Trump and make their decision.

For a start, here is a tweet from POTUS from this morning:
Quote:
We are getting great marks for the handling of the CoronaVirus pandemic, especially the very early BAN of people from China, the infectious source, entering the USA. Compare that to the Obama/Sleepy Joe disaster known as H1N1 Swine Flu. Poor marks, bad polls - didn’t have a clue!
Perhaps we can compare the relative mendacity of this and the video in the OP? I count at least three (maybe 4) lies in this tweet, of much more immediate import than college rankings.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 PM

You don't even have to go back nearly that far. You have Biden this year bragging that he was arrested on the streets of South Africa attempting to visit Nelson Mandela on Robbin Island. Then in the 1990s, Mandela came to Washington, hugged Biden and thanked him for getting arrested for him.

The only problem is that none of it is remotely true. He never tried to visit Mandela, and he was never arrested. During apartheid, he was not permitted to go through the same entrance door at the airport that his black companions went through, Joe refused to go through the white only door, so he stood there while the higher ups gave him a face saving way to get where he was going.

The guy takes that an acts like he was Martin Luther King writing from a Birmingham jail cell.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I think Biden once lied about his weight. And there was that time he took a few strokes off his golf score... And that time he found a 5-dollar bill on the sidewalk and just stuffed it in his pocket!

Clearly an untrustworthy, pathological liar without one shred of decency and NOT Presidential material! Oh... wait...
I hear he liked New Coke
Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The only problem is that none of it is remotely true. He never tried to visit Mandela, and he was never arrested. During apartheid, he was not permitted to go through the same entrance door at the airport that his black companions went through, Joe refused to go through the white only door, so he stood there while the higher ups gave him a face saving way to get where he was going.
The fine line between "detained" and "arrested' is something even SCOTUS and senior jurists argue about. When armed police stop you, and wont let you proceed, what is that?

Biden has clarified that:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/bi...-south-africa/

This is 1/100 of the big fat lies trump tells every single fucking day.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
The fine line between "detained" and "arrested' is something even SCOTUS and senior jurists argue about. When armed police stop you, and wont let you proceed, what is that?

Biden has clarified that:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/bi...-south-africa/
Oh come on. He was in an airport in Johannesburg, not on the streets of Soweto. He was not stopped for attempting to visit Nelson Mandela on Robben Island. Both Soweto and Johannesburg are over 800 miles from Robben Island. Likewise there is no way that Mandela hugged him and thanked him for getting arrested for coming and trying to see him.

So in your effort to defend Biden you want to make a distinction that one is "detained" so that is similar to arrest, when you are told not to go through door A, but please go through door B and you refuse to go through door B?

If that part of the story is true, then fucking hey good for Joe Biden for standing up to apartheid that way, and it would have been a great story by itself.

But that cannot be called a detention and certainly not an arrest. Biden was free to walk through the whites only door but refused on principle (and as I said, that's great). He told them he wouldn't do it and then the higher ups came up with a solution.

That would be like me claiming I was arrested when I went to a concert because when I went to Gate 1 the guy refused me entrance and told me I needed to go to Gate 2 because of the seat number on my ticket. Should I put that "arrest" on a form that asks me the question?

His story was an outright lie.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 AM

I can't imagine that we would elect a president who lies. What kind of country would we be then?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Here is an old video going around where they point out that Biden lied about college: LINK

Biden basically is caught bragging about his college scholarship and his academic rating. I cant tell but it looks to be around 8-10 years old.
Why does everyone try to answer this with "But Trump!" and such?

Just answer straightforwardly:

"Yeah, it appears that Biden lied in that video. So?"
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post

Well, that's older than the children you voted to have put in concentration camps.

No right-wing American has a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing other politicians. Or non-politicians.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I can't imagine that we would elect a president who lies. What kind of country would we be then?
The greatest, absolute best, with the biggest most beautiful wall, and very fine people on ‘both sides’.

Make Absurdity Great Again!

Stranger
Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The beauty of the current administration is that the lies occur every day in real time! Not that we can't also go into the archives, but there's really no need to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Because Trump is a pathological liar. He can't not lie. He lies even when there is nothing to be gained. At least Biden's lies have had a purpose.

BTW, I saw some TV show the other day which misused the term "pathological liar." It referred to a liar with a pathology (sociopathy) who lied to cover his tracks. That's not pathological lying. Pathological lying is compulsive lying. It doesn't really do anything but lie. And pathological liars aren't even that good at covering their tracks or keeping their lies consistent. Criminals who lie for cover usually stick as close to reality as possible so they don't have to remember as much. Pathological liars make up shit for the hell of it, and misrepresent it as truth. They are great storytellers, sometimes-- the only problem is that you can't tell whether something is true or not, and a story could have been just as good if if had been presented as a story, but a compulsive liar knowingly misrepresents it, because it just feels better.

Trump's constant attempts at presenting some kind of treatment for COVID-19, to the point of promoting dangerous quackery that makes dangerous quacks' hair stand on end, I think is born of his need to have a story, and present it as fact.

Analyzing the difference between Biden and Trump on this issue is not trivial.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
You're living in it.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Because Trump is a pathological liar. He can't not lie. He lies even when there is nothing to be gained. At least Biden's lies have had a purpose.

BTW, I saw some TV show the other day which misused the term "pathological liar." It referred to a liar with a pathology (sociopathy) who lied to cover his tracks. That's not pathological lying. Pathological lying is compulsive lying. It doesn't really do anything but lie. And pathological liars aren't even that good at covering their tracks or keeping their lies consistent. Criminals who lie for cover usually stick as close to reality as possible so they don't have to remember as much. Pathological liars make up shit for the hell of it, and misrepresent it as truth. They are great storytellers, sometimes-- the only problem is that you can't tell whether something is true or not, and a story could have been just as good if if had been presented as a story, but a compulsive liar knowingly misrepresents it, because it just feels better.

Trump's constant attempts at presenting some kind of treatment for COVID-19, to the point of promoting dangerous quackery that makes dangerous quacks' hair stand on end, I think is born of his need to have a story, and present it as fact.

Analyzing the difference between Biden and Trump on this issue is not trivial.
I find it highly annoying when discussing a Trump issue that people say "Yeah? But what about Obama?"

I find it similarly annoying when discussing a Biden issue that people say "Yeah? but what about Trump?"
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I find it highly annoying when discussing a Trump issue that people say "Yeah? But what about Obama?"

I find it similarly annoying when discussing a Biden issue that people say "Yeah? but what about Trump?"
The difference, of course, is that Trump isn't running against Obama. Our choice, right now, is between Biden and Trump.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:

The difference, of course, is that Trump isn't running against Obama. Our choice, right now, is between Biden and Trump.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I fail to see the meaning in that distinction when objecting to using deflection to point out flaws of the "other person" instead of responding to a perceived flaw of "your person"
Old 05-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I fail to see the meaning in that distinction when objecting to using deflection to point out flaws of the "other person" instead of responding to a perceived flaw of "your person"
I guess you've never noticed that nobody is defending Biden by saying, "But what about Bush?"
Old 05-13-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Just answer straightforwardly:

"Yeah, it appears that Biden lied in that video. So?"
That is literally in the post that you quoted. I will repeat it here if you like:
Quote:
Biden has a history of embellishment and even outright plagiarism.
I can be more forceful if you like - Biden has lied about many things. All politicians do.

Now, as a voter, what am I to do with this information? I can chose to adopt a standard of "never vote for a liar." But then of course I could never vote for anybody ever.

Or I can adopt a standard of "weigh the relative truthfulness of the candidates I can vote for, including the subjects they tend to lie about".

I prefer option B, hence the relevance of Trump's relationship with the truth. It's not like we're doing an independent character evaluation of Joe Biden here; we are trying to chose between two options for POTUS.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I guess you've never noticed that nobody is defending Biden by saying, "But what about Bush?"
But they are clearly defending Biden by saying "But what about Trump?"
Old 05-13-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:

The difference is how the false equivalence it being used.

that usually, the response to a serious substantial criticism of Trump is dismissed as equivalent to some minor infraction by Obama.

In this case the reverse is true some minor infraction by Biden is being used to paint a picture of equivalence to the colossal Orwellian gaslight factory at this Donald Trump, and posters are rightly calling him on it.

Now Urbanredneck didn't come out and say that these were equivalent, but given his predilection for JAQing, it is the implied subtext.