Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:20 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,502

Did Biden once lie about his college career?


Here is an old video going around where they point out that Biden lied about college: LINK

Biden basically is caught bragging about his college scholarship and his academic rating. I cant tell but it looks to be around 8-10 years old.
  #2  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 PM
OldGuy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,647
I'd be surprised if that clip is only 8 or ten years old. Biden looks quite a bit younger than he looks now. He was campaigning in New Hampshire. It could be 2012, but it sounds more like he's campaigning for himself so it's more likely 2008 or even for the 1988 election.
  #3  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:33 PM
OldGuy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,647
I'd be surprised if that clip is only 8 or ten years old. Biden looks quite a bit younger than he looks now. He was campaigning in New Hampshire. It could be 2012, but it sounds more like he's campaigning for himself so it's more likely 2008 or even for the 1988 election.
  #4  
Old 05-09-2020, 11:23 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,469
That’s got to be 1987, probably more stuff from the Dukakis campaign.

I don’t give a damn what Biden or Trump did in college.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #5  
Old 05-09-2020, 11:30 PM
don't ask is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,576
In a recent article in Counterpunch, If Trump is a Pathological Liar, What Type of Liar is Biden? they list, "a sampling of some—certainly not all—of Biden’s lies in a variety of areas." Including:

Quote:
Attempting to make himself appear intelligent, Biden has lied about his academic record and his grades, lying about graduating in the top half of his law school class when in fact he graduated 76th in a class of 85. Then there is his infamous plagiarism that derailed his campaign to win the Democratic nomination for president in 1988. His plagiarizing of then British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock brought attention to Biden’s previous plagiarism at Syracuse University College of Law.
  #6  
Old 05-09-2020, 11:40 PM
pjacks is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 350
Is there anything from the 70s that we can dig up? I feel like this 1980s stuff is just too recent to be relevant.
  #7  
Old 05-10-2020, 01:06 AM
Lord Feldon's Avatar
Lord Feldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Is there anything from the 70s that we can dig up? I feel like this 1980s stuff is just too recent to be relevant.
Hell, let's go back to the 60s and argue about the draft.
  #8  
Old 05-10-2020, 01:20 AM
Stranger On A Train is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,867
What the nation really needs is a further investigation into John Kerry’s actions in Vietnam...if he was actually even there.

Stranger
  #9  
Old 05-10-2020, 01:38 AM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
>> Did Biden once lie about his college career?

I'll re-frame the question. Did Tramp ever NOT lie about his college career?

More questions. Did Biden ever say (on a national broadcast) that he wanted to fuck his underage daughter? Did Biden ever say there are good Nazis, Klansmen, war criminals, and traitors? Did Biden ever suggest (in an official televised event) that Americans poison themselves? Did Biden ever tweet brags about obstructing justice?

Putin and his puppy are scared shitless of Biden. Hence the attacks. Sad.
  #10  
Old 05-10-2020, 09:18 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Is there anything from the 70s that we can dig up? I feel like this 1980s stuff is just too recent to be relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
Hell, let's go back to the 60s and argue about the draft.
I think Biden once lied about his weight. And there was that time he took a few strokes off his golf score... And that time he found a 5-dollar bill on the sidewalk and just stuffed it in his pocket!

Clearly an untrustworthy, pathological liar without one shred of decency and NOT Presidential material! Oh... wait...
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #11  
Old 05-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Sdowiat is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 61

YOU might not .. but OTHERS may


Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
That’s got to be 1987, probably more stuff from the Dukakis campaign.

I don’t give a damn what Biden or Trump did in college.

I don't think he's asking whether "YOU" or any other one person in particular care. One individual person might vote for him regardless of what he's done. He's simply asking if it occurred and BTY, Joe was about 45 and hardly a kid at that age. It may matter to HIM or he may be concerned that it will matter to a large number of voters.

YES, I think that lie has been confirmed just as the speech plagiarism committed around the same time has been confirmed. Why not just be straight up and answer his question?
  #12  
Old 05-10-2020, 09:54 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,266
You guys, you guys... I'm starting to think that this politics business is not strictly on the up and up and invites a type of person who is likely to be a bit of a bullshitter.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-10-2020 at 09:56 AM.
  #13  
Old 05-10-2020, 10:55 AM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,750
Is the Politics and Election page really gonna turn into the attack Biden on meaningless issues page?

Let me make this clear- Biden is the nominee. Even if Biden did withdraw, his votes wouldnt go to Sanders.

So the berni-bro hits on Biden are doing nothing but helping trump.
  #14  
Old 05-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Sam Stone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 28,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
What the nation really needs is a further investigation into John Kerry’s actions in Vietnam...if he was actually even there.

Stranger
Or whether George W. Bush was AWOL in the 1960's? Or perhaps what the meaning of 'boof' was in Justice Kavanaugh's high school yearbook.

Then we can start an investigation into whether Mitt Romney was guilty of bullying a kid in high school, or whether he tied his dog's crate to the roof of his car 30 years ago.

In case you don't get it, both sides have had no problem digging as far back into the past as they can if they can turn it into political advantage. This is absolutely nothing new.

Also not new: Each side blusters and stamps their feet and calls foul when the other side engages in it.

Also, since Biden was a grown adult and a sitting Senator at the time of these complaints, they are relevant. There is no statute of limitations on being a lousy politician.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 05-10-2020 at 11:31 AM.
  #15  
Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Or whether George W. Bush was AWOL in the 1960's? Or perhaps what the meaning of 'boof' was in Justice Kavanaugh's high school yearbook.

Then we can start an investigation into whether Mitt Romney was guilty of bullying a kid in high school, or whether he tied his dog's crate to the roof of his car 30 years ago.

In case you don't get it, both sides have had no problem digging as far back into the past as they can if they can turn it into political advantage. This is absolutely nothing new.

Also not new: Each side blusters and stamps their feet and calls foul when the other side engages in it.
The beauty of the current administration is that the lies occur every day in real time! Not that we can't also go into the archives, but there's really no need to.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #16  
Old 05-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,817
Thank God we got "both sides do it" in here.

Biden has a history of embellishment and even outright plagiarism. This is not new information. He's also handsy, and has admitted he has made women feel uncomfortable. Also not new information.

Now the voters can weigh those sins against the Presidency of Donald Trump and make their decision.

For a start, here is a tweet from POTUS from this morning:
Quote:
We are getting great marks for the handling of the CoronaVirus pandemic, especially the very early BAN of people from China, the infectious source, entering the USA. Compare that to the Obama/Sleepy Joe disaster known as H1N1 Swine Flu. Poor marks, bad polls - didn’t have a clue!
Perhaps we can compare the relative mendacity of this and the video in the OP? I count at least three (maybe 4) lies in this tweet, of much more immediate import than college rankings.
  #17  
Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 17,426
You don't even have to go back nearly that far. You have Biden this year bragging that he was arrested on the streets of South Africa attempting to visit Nelson Mandela on Robbin Island. Then in the 1990s, Mandela came to Washington, hugged Biden and thanked him for getting arrested for him.

The only problem is that none of it is remotely true. He never tried to visit Mandela, and he was never arrested. During apartheid, he was not permitted to go through the same entrance door at the airport that his black companions went through, Joe refused to go through the white only door, so he stood there while the higher ups gave him a face saving way to get where he was going.

The guy takes that an acts like he was Martin Luther King writing from a Birmingham jail cell.
  #18  
Old 05-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I think Biden once lied about his weight. And there was that time he took a few strokes off his golf score... And that time he found a 5-dollar bill on the sidewalk and just stuffed it in his pocket!

Clearly an untrustworthy, pathological liar without one shred of decency and NOT Presidential material! Oh... wait...
I hear he liked New Coke
__________________
It's chaos. Be kind.
  #19  
Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
..
The only problem is that none of it is remotely true. He never tried to visit Mandela, and he was never arrested. During apartheid, he was not permitted to go through the same entrance door at the airport that his black companions went through, Joe refused to go through the white only door, so he stood there while the higher ups gave him a face saving way to get where he was going.
...
The fine line between "detained" and "arrested' is something even SCOTUS and senior jurists argue about. When armed police stop you, and wont let you proceed, what is that?

Biden has clarified that:


https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/bi...-south-africa/

This is 1/100 of the big fat lies trump tells every single fucking day.
  #20  
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 AM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 17,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
The fine line between "detained" and "arrested' is something even SCOTUS and senior jurists argue about. When armed police stop you, and wont let you proceed, what is that?

Biden has clarified that:


https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/bi...-south-africa/
Oh come on. He was in an airport in Johannesburg, not on the streets of Soweto. He was not stopped for attempting to visit Nelson Mandela on Robben Island. Both Soweto and Johannesburg are over 800 miles from Robben Island. Likewise there is no way that Mandela hugged him and thanked him for getting arrested for coming and trying to see him.

So in your effort to defend Biden you want to make a distinction that one is "detained" so that is similar to arrest, when you are told not to go through door A, but please go through door B and you refuse to go through door B?

If that part of the story is true, then fucking hey good for Joe Biden for standing up to apartheid that way, and it would have been a great story by itself.

But that cannot be called a detention and certainly not an arrest. Biden was free to walk through the whites only door but refused on principle (and as I said, that's great). He told them he wouldn't do it and then the higher ups came up with a solution.

That would be like me claiming I was arrested when I went to a concert because when I went to Gate 1 the guy refused me entrance and told me I needed to go to Gate 2 because of the seat number on my ticket. Should I put that "arrest" on a form that asks me the question?

His story was an outright lie.
  #21  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 AM
TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 42,176
I can't imagine that we would elect a president who lies. What kind of country would we be then?
  #22  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:22 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Here is an old video going around where they point out that Biden lied about college: LINK

Biden basically is caught bragging about his college scholarship and his academic rating. I cant tell but it looks to be around 8-10 years old.
Why does everyone try to answer this with "But Trump!" and such?

Just answer straightforwardly:

"Yeah, it appears that Biden lied in that video. So?"
  #23  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Here is an old video going around where they point out that Biden lied about college: LINK

Biden basically is caught bragging about his college scholarship and his academic rating. I cant tell but it looks to be around 8-10 years old.
Well, that's older than the children you voted to have put in concentration camps.

No right-wing American has a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing other politicians. Or non-politicians.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #24  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 AM
Stranger On A Train is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I can't imagine that we would elect a president who lies. What kind of country would we be then?
The greatest, absolute best, with the biggest most beautiful wall, and very fine people on ‘both sides’.

Make Absurdity Great Again!

Stranger
  #25  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 AM
RivkahChaya's Avatar
RivkahChaya is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The beauty of the current administration is that the lies occur every day in real time! Not that we can't also go into the archives, but there's really no need to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Why does everyone try to answer this with "But Trump!" and such?
Because Trump is a pathological liar. He can't not lie. He lies even when there is nothing to be gained. At least Biden's lies have had a purpose.

BTW, I saw some TV show the other day which misused the term "pathological liar." It referred to a liar with a pathology (sociopathy) who lied to cover his tracks. That's not pathological lying. Pathological lying is compulsive lying. It doesn't really do anything but lie. And pathological liars aren't even that good at covering their tracks or keeping their lies consistent. Criminals who lie for cover usually stick as close to reality as possible so they don't have to remember as much. Pathological liars make up shit for the hell of it, and misrepresent it as truth. They are great storytellers, sometimes-- the only problem is that you can't tell whether something is true or not, and a story could have been just as good if if had been presented as a story, but a compulsive liar knowingly misrepresents it, because it just feels better.

Trump's constant attempts at presenting some kind of treatment for COVID-19, to the point of promoting dangerous quackery that makes dangerous quacks' hair stand on end, I think is born of his need to have a story, and present it as fact.

Analyzing the difference between Biden and Trump on this issue is not trivial.
__________________
"There's always a non-Voodoo explanation for everything." ~Adrian Monk
  #26  
Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I can't imagine that we would elect a president who lies. What kind of country would we be then?
You're living in it.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #27  
Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Because Trump is a pathological liar. He can't not lie. He lies even when there is nothing to be gained. At least Biden's lies have had a purpose.

BTW, I saw some TV show the other day which misused the term "pathological liar." It referred to a liar with a pathology (sociopathy) who lied to cover his tracks. That's not pathological lying. Pathological lying is compulsive lying. It doesn't really do anything but lie. And pathological liars aren't even that good at covering their tracks or keeping their lies consistent. Criminals who lie for cover usually stick as close to reality as possible so they don't have to remember as much. Pathological liars make up shit for the hell of it, and misrepresent it as truth. They are great storytellers, sometimes-- the only problem is that you can't tell whether something is true or not, and a story could have been just as good if if had been presented as a story, but a compulsive liar knowingly misrepresents it, because it just feels better.

Trump's constant attempts at presenting some kind of treatment for COVID-19, to the point of promoting dangerous quackery that makes dangerous quacks' hair stand on end, I think is born of his need to have a story, and present it as fact.

Analyzing the difference between Biden and Trump on this issue is not trivial.
I find it highly annoying when discussing a Trump issue that people say "Yeah? But what about Obama?"

I find it similarly annoying when discussing a Biden issue that people say "Yeah? but what about Trump?"
  #28  
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM
Lightnin''s Avatar
Lightnin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I find it highly annoying when discussing a Trump issue that people say "Yeah? But what about Obama?"

I find it similarly annoying when discussing a Biden issue that people say "Yeah? but what about Trump?"
The difference, of course, is that Trump isn't running against Obama. Our choice, right now, is between Biden and Trump.
__________________
What's the good of Science if nobody gets hurt?
  #29  
Old 05-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Lightnin''s Avatar
Lightnin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I find it highly annoying when discussing a Trump issue that people say "Yeah? But what about Obama?"

I find it similarly annoying when discussing a Biden issue that people say "Yeah? but what about Trump?"
The difference, of course, is that Trump isn't running against Obama. Our choice, right now, is between Biden and Trump.
__________________
What's the good of Science if nobody gets hurt?
  #30  
Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
The difference, of course, is that Trump isn't running against Obama. Our choice, right now, is between Biden and Trump.
I fail to see the meaning in that distinction when objecting to using deflection to point out flaws of the "other person" instead of responding to a perceived flaw of "your person"
  #31  
Old 05-13-2020, 01:26 PM
Lightnin''s Avatar
Lightnin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I fail to see the meaning in that distinction when objecting to using deflection to point out flaws of the "other person" instead of responding to a perceived flaw of "your person"
I guess you've never noticed that nobody is defending Biden by saying, "But what about Bush?"
__________________
What's the good of Science if nobody gets hurt?
  #32  
Old 05-13-2020, 03:26 PM
Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Why does everyone try to answer this with "But Trump!" and such?

Just answer straightforwardly:

"Yeah, it appears that Biden lied in that video. So?"
That is literally in the post that you quoted. I will repeat it here if you like:
Quote:
Biden has a history of embellishment and even outright plagiarism.
I can be more forceful if you like - Biden has lied about many things. All politicians do.

Now, as a voter, what am I to do with this information? I can chose to adopt a standard of "never vote for a liar." But then of course I could never vote for anybody ever.

Or I can adopt a standard of "weigh the relative truthfulness of the candidates I can vote for, including the subjects they tend to lie about".

I prefer option B, hence the relevance of Trump's relationship with the truth. It's not like we're doing an independent character evaluation of Joe Biden here; we are trying to chose between two options for POTUS.
  #33  
Old 05-13-2020, 03:27 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I guess you've never noticed that nobody is defending Biden by saying, "But what about Bush?"
But they are clearly defending Biden by saying "But what about Trump?"
  #34  
Old 05-13-2020, 04:40 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I find it highly annoying when discussing a Trump issue that people say "Yeah? But what about Obama?"

I find it similarly annoying when discussing a Biden issue that people say "Yeah? but what about Trump?"
The difference is how the false equivalence it being used.

that usually, the response to a serious substantial criticism of Trump is dismissed as equivalent to some minor infraction by Obama.

In this case the reverse is true some minor infraction by Biden is being used to paint a picture of equivalence to the colossal Orwellian gaslight factory at this Donald Trump, and posters are rightly calling him on it.

Now Urbanredneck didn't come out and say that these were equivalent, but given his predilection for JAQing, it is the implied subtext.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017