Old 05-11-2020, 02:37 PM

Would you ever want to work in a sports franchise's front office?

Would you ever want to work for Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban, James Dolan, Jeannie Buss? In the front office? As a scout? As a general managing partner? Sitting in meetings with the owners?
Old 05-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

First of all, if I were to want to work for any team, I'd be looking to avoid teams that are run by overblown egos like Jones, Dolan, or Cuban.

Secondly, even though I like sports, I also like having some semblance of a work/life balance, and my understanding is that most, if not all, front office jobs with pro teams entail extremely long hours, and many of them (particularly those which involve scouting, or traveling directly with the team) put you on the road a *lot*.

So, no thank you.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:32 PM

Sure, I'll be a managing partner. Where do I apply?
Old 05-11-2020, 03:44 PM

Any team but the Yankees and I would want a guaranteed contract for at least $500k per year for 3 years.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:45 PM

Sure, I'd be glad to. As long as it's not the Steelers, 49ers, Angels, Saints, Patriots or Warriors.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Want to? Sure. But from my understanding, front office jobs are demanding, high-stress, and long hours, with underwhelming pay. So I'll pass in the interest of keeping my family on a first name basis.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Would you ever want to work for Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban, James Dolan, Jeannie Buss? In the front office? As a scout? As a general managing partner? Sitting in meetings with the owners?
The money would have to be right, but of course.

and of course I'd work for any team, even ones I don't currently like as a fan. Especially in baseball. I love baseball FAR more than I dislike any team.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-11-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 PM

I'd take a job in the Dodgers front office in a heartbeat. I love the way they are run as an organization not to mention being a bit fan. I'd work for any of the analytics teams especially those who's ownership isn't insane. As much as I like the 49ers I'd end up killing management but I'd take a job with the Astros as long as I made enough that I'd be retired in 5 years since Houston blows.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn’t because I wouldn’t want any job in an office that is dominated by one person.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:44 AM

All the people I ever knew who worked for sport franchises were assholes. Their jobs very quickly went to their heads. I was in the media, so I got to deal with quite a few of them. Media people who were assigned to a big-league sport beat quickly became jerks, too. All prima donnas.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:44 AM

I think I would not want to work for a sports team. I wouldn't be able to get around the fundamental frivolity of the venture, and take it seriously enough to have it as a job.

I mean, how could I sit in a meeting with a bunch of deadly serious people talking about... basketball? (or hockey, or football, or whatever) Regardless of the scale, it's just not important in the sense that working for a health care company, or food company, or even a government is.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:49 AM

Absolutely! I’d prefer to work for the Yankees, Steelers or Nets, but pay me enough and I can make exceptions. Just no Red Sox, Astros or Patriots.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 AM

Only if I could work like George Costanza did for the Yankees.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think I would not want to work for a sports team. I wouldn't be able to get around the fundamental frivolity of the venture, and take it seriously enough to have it as a job.

I mean, how could I sit in a meeting with a bunch of deadly serious people talking about... basketball? (or hockey, or football, or whatever) Regardless of the scale, it's just not important in the sense that working for a health care company, or food company, or even a government is.
Sports is a business, yes it is entertainment, but it generates billions of dollars. Yes, athletes making millions playing a ball and the coach's strategy and playbook are important in the sports industry.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

It strikes me, Yankees, that you ask these questions in the topics you start, but you often don't share your own opinion. Would *you* want to work in a team's front office? Why or why not?
Old 05-13-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Absolutely! Id prefer to work for the Yankees, Steelers or Nets, but pay me enough and I can make exceptions. Just no Red Sox, Astros or Patriots.

You won't want to work for Patriots head coach Bill Belichick?
Old 05-13-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
It strikes me, Yankees, that you ask these questions in the topics you start, but you often don't share your own opinion. Would *you* want to work in a team's front office? Why or why not?

I would not mind working in the public relations department or some other branch.

If I were a COO, or in the inner circle of the owner/CEO, general manager, maybe.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You won't want to work for Patriots head coach Bill Belichick?
Not on the up-and-up. If I had the means to sabotage them, then sign me up!
Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 PM

I would only want to work in a sports front office if I had influence. It would be pretty maddening to see all my input getting heard, then shot down.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:53 PM

Working in the sports entertainment business sounds like general good fun but those are highly competitive people running highly competitive businesses and as such are overly prone to rampant and intolerable assholery. Pass.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Sports is a business, yes it is entertainment, but it generates billions of dollars. Yes, athletes making millions playing a ball and the coach's strategy and playbook are important in the sports industry.
That doesn't make it important. Lucrative, sure, but not actually important.

I mean, we can see already that not having the end of the basketball season, the middle of the MLS season, and the beginning of the baseball seasons hasn't actually meant anything to anyone not actually involved in those sports or the surrounding industries like stadiums/concessions.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:24 PM

Hard to say since I'm not particularly interested in sports.

I actually spent a few months on a consulting engagement for the NFL in New York a few years back. The offices were pretty cool because of all the football-themed shit everywhere, including a big glass case full of Super Bowl rings and the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

But it's not like Eli Manning is the Director of IT in the off season or there are pros, cheerleaders and guys in mascot costumes horse-playing between the cubicles. The employees weren't even particularly "meatheaded" or "jock-ish" . It was basically like any other corporate office I've been to. Might be different if these were agents or this was the general managers office instead of IT and marketing stuff.

On one amusing note, the engagement happened to kick off at the end of "Movember", so I hilariously got to show up looking like a Ron Burgundy-era sportscaster.

Last edited by msmith537; 05-14-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 PM

I'm a CPA at a small firm. I wish I had less, larger, clients to work on, with the ultimate goal being the controller of some appropriate-sized company for someone of my experience. If I were offered such a position with a major sports team, I'd not hesitate to take it unless if somehow paid me less than I was currently making. But I'm not going to actively seek such a job, nor would I take any sort of job with them that wasn't within the scope of my professional training as an accountant.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 AM

My gf's brother's son does social media for a MLB team. Before he approached the team with a plan they had no dedicated social media person. He started out sharing a desk, and now he has his own office. He loves his job, but it's more difficult when they aren't playing.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Working in the sports entertainment business sounds like general good fun but those are highly competitive people running highly competitive businesses and as such are overly prone to rampant and intolerable assholery. Pass.
Sports teams, from a business point of view, aren't very competitive at all. The Atlanta Braves, to randomly choose an example, have no one to compete with as a business. There is no other major league baseball team in town, and there's no other major professional baseball league in the USA. MLB is a de facto monopoly. And they really aren't in any serious competition with the NFL or NBA, whose seasons don't really match up with the Braves, and there's lots of sports fans to go around in Atlanta.

Of course the Braves compete with other baseball teams.. but only on the field, not as a business. The Braves need the other teams to be successful as businesses. They compete for players when free agency rolls around, but it's generally a pretty friendly industry.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Only if I could work like George Costanza did for the Yankees.
Being the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary is my dream job.