Old 05-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Dr. Fauci's Senate testimony

Does anyone know why this is happening? What good will it do? If Dr. Fauci urges caution, Republicans in the Senate will just say “whatever.” Apparently Fauci is going to say that states shouldn’t loosen restrictions too early. Well, I’m sure that will give all the reckless governors pause - not. I know this is turning into more of a rant, but I am really wondering why they are bothering with this unless it’s so Republicans can say they let Fauci talk.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:45 PM

Also, it isn't nothing to get a well respected warning on the record.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:16 PM

I am hearing that Fauci has connections with the lab in China that may or may not have been the source of the virus. I would like to hear him answer this.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I am hearing that Fauci has connections with the lab in China that may or may not have been the source of the virus. I would like to hear him answer this.
Uhhhhh huh.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Got a link we can crush?
Old 05-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Where exactly are you hearing this?
Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM

The NYT had a good write up and assessment on it. The general takeaway was that there was a surprisingly amount of bipartisan agreement (any amount, of course, is surprising now), and part of that is how locally focused congress has suddenly become. Since trump has totally dropped the leadership-in-crisis ball, states are scrambling to figure out how to address the pandemic on their own, and their concerns are about their own constituencies. Refreshing, really.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 05-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Something like that would surely be on his wiki page, no?
Seriously, Dr Fauci who has been a worldwide player since AIDS was new, probably has connections all over the planet. Gonna have to demand a cite here, argle bargle.

Last edited by bobot; 05-12-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
I am really wondering why they are bothering with this unless it’s so Republicans can say they let Fauci talk.
I think this is pretty much it. The Republicans didn't want Fauci testifying before the House, where he'd get asked real questions about the way Trump and his administration have handled this crisis. But they realize how bad a cover-up looks, even while recognizing the need for one.

So they have Fauci testify before the Senate where the Republicans are in control and can make sure that only softball questions are asked and any attempts to go off-script can be squelched. It'll be a publicity exercise designed to give the illusion of a public hearing.

There won't be any accusations about Fauci's connections with China. You don't say that kind of thing in a public forum where the victim can defend himself. You spread it with rumors so credulous people can hear it.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Dr. Fauci is, in reality, the insidious Doctor Fu Manchu with a plastic surgery job, and this is part of his Grand Plan to take down Western Civilization. Wake up, sheeple!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
You should stop listening to whatever source you are hearing this from.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Well, I don't know if that's true, but I do know that he answers directly to the Commander in Chief of the US military's bioweapons research program. There you go, direct absolute proof that Trump himself personally created COVID-19!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think this is pretty much it. The Republicans didn't want Fauci testifying before the House, where he'd get asked real questions about the way Trump and his administration have handled this crisis. But they realize how bad a cover-up looks, even while recognizing the need for one.

So they have Fauci testify before the Senate where the Republicans are in control and can make sure that only softball questions are asked and any attempts to go off-script can be squelched. It'll be a publicity exercise designed to give the illusion of a public hearing.

There won't be any accusations about Fauci's connections with China. You don't say that kind of thing in a public forum where the victim can defend himself. You spread it with rumors so credulous people can hear it.
Explain how having him testify before the Senate automatically precludes him from testifying before the House?

- The Police, "One World"
Old 05-12-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Very good Trump satire!!! Just missed the "people are saying ... the best people ..." and it would be perfect!
Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
InfoWars, National File, Sean Hannity. All the best sources of 'truth' and 'alternative facts'.

Stranger
Old 05-12-2020, 09:09 PM

Rand Paul was a real jerk today.
I like Fauci.
And I liked how he answered Paul.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Rand Paul was a real jerk today.
I like Fauci.
And I liked how he answered Paul.
Senators and Congressman pull stuff like that all the time. Trying to goad witnesses to get angry and say something embarrassing and/or incriminating.

But Dr. Fauci has too much experience dealing with politicians to fall for that trap. He actually sounded a little amused by what Paul was doing. I'd say in someways he is probably the most social intelligent savvy "politician" in DC.

Last edited by dorvann; 05-12-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:

PEOPLE are SAYING!!!!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't wait to hear tomorrow's vague unsubstantiated rumor designed to cast doubt. What is your source?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Explain how having him testify before the Senate automatically precludes him from testifying before the House?
The administration's official policy is that Fauci and everyone else on the Coronovirus Task Force is not allowed to testify without authorization from the White House because it would divert them away from their important work on the crisis. And Trump has stated he will not authorize anyone to testify before the House.

White House won't allow members of coronavirus task force to testify in May

Trump says he won't let Fauci testify because the House is "a bunch of Trump haters"

Fauci to testify before U.S. Senate, not House, on virus response

White House Blocks Fauci and Coronavirus Task Force From Testifying Before Congress Without Approval

Trump says he doesn't want Fauci testifying in front of House 'Trump haters'

White House blocks Fauci from testifying before House panel next week
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
David Berkowitz was hearing things too.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 05-12-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Another call for a cite for this bizarre claim.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Uhhhhh huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Got a link we can crush?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Very good Trump satire!!! Just missed the "people are saying ... the best people ..." and it would be perfect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I can't wait to hear tomorrow's vague unsubstantiated rumor designed to cast doubt. What is your source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Another call for a cite for this bizarre claim.
I'd like to see your cite as well.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I'd like to see your cite as well.
As the poster in question said in an anti-vax movie thread (paraphrasing) - Since you're now talking about it, I win. At least I assume that's his attitude here.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:32 AM

If I have time later I will look.

Yes, the sources I listen to are not always credible but, sometimes they are. It is difficult for me to find mainstream sources that people will not just dismiss offhand as "fake news".

The comment was more if anyone else has heard of this.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:35 AM

From the hearing:

"The mortality per capita in Sweden is actually less than France, less than Italy, less than Spain, less than Belgium, less than the Netherlands, about the same as Switzerland." - Rand Paul

Senator Rand Paul throws in a minor lie to help bolster his case. Sweden's per capita death rate, at the time of the hearing, is about the same as the Netherlands and way less than Switzerland.

Today's numbers push Sweden ahead of the Netherlands. They are now ranked 9th in the world for per capita deaths and ranked 6th among countries with more than 1 million people.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, the sources I listen to are not always credible but, sometimes they are. It is difficult for me to find mainstream sources that people will not just dismiss offhand as "fake news".

The hell it was:
Quote:
The only request in your post was for the doctor to respond to your unsubstantiated rumor.
If you have time to repeat your unsubstantiated rumor then you have time to provide your source, so let's have it.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

Look for reputable ones.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:41 AM

He's just trying to bait posters into catching warnings.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I found it on Gateway Pundit and a bunch of anti-vas sites.

I’m pretty sure that Dr Fauci has better things to do than waste his time with this bullshit.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 AM

A source can't be credible "sometimes". A source is either credible or not.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
It is difficult for me to find mainstream sources that people will not just dismiss offhand as "fake news".
"Fake news" is your side's pet phrase, which y'all have twisted to mean "news that we don't want to hear" instead of "news that just isn't true".
Old 05-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
I found it on Gateway Pundit and a bunch of anti-vas sites.
They're all the same: no deferens at all between any of those sites!
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
A source can't be credible "sometimes". A source is either credible or not.
It can be credible about some things and not others.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Congress wants testimony from a senior executive branch member and subject matter expert related to a major crisis facing the country. It is a crisis that Congress will likely need to continue to intervene in legislatively. I suppose they could just defer all responsibility to the executive branch without any oversight. I generally prefer they at least go through the motions of doing the jobs they were elected to do.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
They're all the same: no deferens at all between any of those sites!
Urine trouble now.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Dr. Fauci is, in reality, the insidious Doctor Fu Manchu with a plastic surgery job, and this is part of his Grand Plan to take down Western Civilization. Wake up, sheeple!
I thought he was the Emperor Ming the Merciless.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:

UrbenRedneck, I'm not sure I buy this line of reasoning.

A different moderator, perhaps a more suspicious and cynical moderator, might think you were attempting to derail the discussion away from information that is potentially damaging to your preferred political persuasion.

From here on out, if rumormongering, please bring cites for debate and - potentially - embarrassing destruction.

I hope that's clear.

Instruction for everyone going forward:

Discussion of Fauci's supposed 'connections' with any Chinese lab conspiracy theories need to come with rock solid citations including why his connection is somehow sinister. Otherwise, leave it be in this thread.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I thought he was the Emperor Ming the Merciless.
Are there any photos of them together? Think about it!
Old 05-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Are there any photos of them together? Think about it!
Ah ha!
Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The administration's official policy is that Fauci and everyone else on the Coronovirus Task Force is not allowed to testify without authorization from the White House because it would divert them away from their important work on the crisis. And Trump has stated he will not authorize anyone to testify before the House.

White House won't allow members of coronavirus task force to testify in May

Trump says he won't let Fauci testify because the House is "a bunch of Trump haters"

Fauci to testify before U.S. Senate, not House, on virus response

White House Blocks Fauci and Coronavirus Task Force From Testifying Before Congress Without Approval

Trump says he doesn't want Fauci testifying in front of House 'Trump haters'

White House blocks Fauci from testifying before House panel next week
Ah yes - I forgot that Trump has folks on the Task Force on a short leash. Just like they wouldn't let Fauci do an interview on "fake news" CNN. Thanks for the reminder.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Moderator.

And yes, the response to Sen. Paul was quite well handled. As dorvann stated, too common a practice among the Senators and Congressmen, trying to make witnesses squirm, or give them enough rope to hang themselves, or at the very least to rub in their faces where is the real power. But in this case some Republicans can't seem to get it inside their head that this is the guy that gives his own party's administration the plausible cover to the effect there are actual professionals handling the technical stuff.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, the sources I listen to are not always credible but, sometimes they are.
No, once they're shown to not be credible, that stink sticks to them.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
But Trump selected his advisory team, right? HE picked Fauci and he can fire him at will, right? So why hasn’t he?

What do you mean by connection? I would actually expect a world class virologist to have contact with most of the world class virology labs and I would find it suspect if they didn’t.

This would be like discrediting a pilot because he had “connections” with TWA or United and wait for it—they had planes that crashed. Actually, it’s way crazier than that because we have no evidence that the Wuhan lab had an accident and we know that TWA 800 crashed.

But the idea of discrediting a professional because of legitimate professional contacts is worse than whack — it’s part of a widespread campaign to disenfranchise expertise in general.

Because apparently the best virology expert is the one that never has any contact with any other virologists or institutes that perform virology because that makes them suspect. The best virologist would then be a guy with no expertise or experience in virology at all, it’s the conservative purity test.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-13-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
What do you mean by connection? I would actually expect a world class virologist to have contact with most of the world class virology labs and I would find it suspect if they didn’t.

This would be like discrediting a pilot because he had “connections” with TWA or United and wait for it—they had planes that crashed. Actually, it’s way crazier than that because we have no evidence that the Wuhan lab had an accident and we know that TWA 800 crashed.

But the idea of discrediting a professional because of legitimate professional contacts is worse than whack — it’s part of a widespread campaign to disenfranchise expertise in general.

Because apparently the best virology expert is the one that never has any contact with any other virologists or institutes that perform virology because that makes them suspect. The best virologist would then be a guy with no expertise or experience in virology at all, it’s the conservative purity test.
Well said!

Last edited by tomndebb; 05-15-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Well said!
I agree.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
It can be credible about some things and not others.
It may be accurate about some things and not others but once a source has lied or provided inaccurate information, everything they say is suspect. Maybe hair-splitting but coming from a profession where credibility means everything, once a liar, always a liar.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:21 AM

some senior level government employees have a sort of tenure and cannot be easily fired. Dr. Fauci has that protection. Of course Trump doesn't care about rules or laws so he may try to fire him anyway. He can remove Fauci from advisory boards and committees.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Y'all realize that by repeatedly quoting the unfounded assertion verbatim you are creating more search hits for it, right?
Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Congress wants testimony from a senior executive branch member and subject matter expert related to a major crisis facing the country. It is a crisis that Congress will likely need to continue to intervene in legislatively. I suppose they could just defer all responsibility to the executive branch without any oversight. I generally prefer they at least go through the motions of doing the jobs they were elected to do.
I want Congress to have oversight. They haven’t had enough oversight in this administration. But the fact that Fauci is being allowed to testify before the Senate but not the House is in itself a partisan decision made unilaterally by the administration and makes this testimony little more than a dog and pony show in my eyes. Most certainly nothing will come from it. I am not faulting Fauci for this but trump and the senate.

No matter what sensible and reasonable testimony Fauci provides, he will be smeared by the right wing.