Old 05-14-2020, 11:34 PM

Trevor Noah is killing it

No one can replace Jon Stewart.

Trevor Noah is really, really good though. His delivery from home is fantastic. I am really enjoying his show lately. I was concerned about him replacing Jon, but no longer. Trevor is really good.

Thank you Trevor.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:38 AM

Reported for forum change
Old 05-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Moved.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:18 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I agree. His style is different from Jon's, but it works. And the accent adds a little something.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Comparing Trevor to Jon is comparing apples to oranges.

They are both great in their own way.

I feel for Trevor lately though. He really needs a hair cut. I'm sure he hates not being able to get one.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Never watched the TV show pre-lockdown, but the show now is one of the bright spots of my day. Love all their current correspondents. It is supposed to be very hard for beautiful women to be funny (at least that's the conventional wisdom), but Desi Lydic is fantastic. Her Foxsplaining bits are great.

I always thought they hired Noah because he was the person on earth least likely to be comparable to Jon.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:42 AM

I've been having troubles getting through his shows. Most nights I give up part way through. I'm glad some of you are having better experiences with him, but not great for me.

Now John Oliver has been on fire. Took a few weeks into the crisis, but as funny and as informative as ever.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I feel for Trevor lately though. He really needs a hair cut. I'm sure he hates not being able to get one.
Trevor can afford to hire a barber to make a house call. Now ME, I’m stuck with a beard that has attained Cossack proportions.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 AM

How many hoodies does he own? I don't think he's worn the same one twice.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:03 AM

Trevor Noah & Seth Meyers have been awesome. John Oliver has been about the same tone and quality as it ever was, so that's been great. Colbert has not adapted well to filming at home.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Trevor Noah & Seth Meyers have been awesome. John Oliver has been about the same tone and quality as it ever was, so that's been great. Colbert has not adapted well to filming at home.
I agree with this. We've been watching Seth, Trevor, John along with Jimmy Kimmel. Colbert....not as much - and we used to fairly regularly. We watch mainly their monologues on Youtube (with John it's the whole show).
Old 05-15-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Yeah, I'm actually worried for Colbert, he seems to be going through a rough patch, it's a drag to watch him.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
No one can replace Jon Stewart.

Trevor Noah is really, really good though. His delivery from home is fantastic. I am really enjoying his show lately. I was concerned about him replacing Jon, but no longer. Trevor is really good.

Thank you Trevor.
When he took over The Daily Show I hated it and thought he had little chance of succeeding.

However, he (and his writers) rapidly found his voice, and subtly altered the show to suit him. They were correct to trust that his natural talent for comedy would shine through once they got into the swing of things.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
It is supposed to be very hard for beautiful women to be funny (at least that's the conventional wisdom), but Desi Lydic is fantastic. Her Foxsplaining bits are great.
I'm sorry, what?
Old 05-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I saw Noah before TDS and told people he was going to be a star, so I was with him from the first. (Catch his stand-up next time he goes on tour; it's very good.) He's more comfortable now and the show is better. His writers have a good handle on how to attack Trump.

He's done better in figuring out how to deliver a monologue with an audience and laugh lines. Over the weeks I've noticed a technique of responding to himself through asides and voices; he's an incredible mimic of accents. Starting with "a ray of sunshine" was a good idea, too. Sneakily, the shows now run 45 minutes instead of a half hour so they have time to play with ideas before the guest.

The home monologue works better with long-form material than one-liners, which I think is why people are praising John Oliver and Seth Meyers. Jimmy Kimmel tries to get around this with lots of funny clips which don't need a pause for laughter, but he keeps his monologue really short and his show has been cut to a half-hour. Colbert sorta does this with his Quarantinewhile bit, which creates its own pauses. Conan depends on audience interaction and his shows haven't recovered from the loss. Samantha Bee doesn't do badly by relying on rage; the audience can cheer more than laugh. Jimmy Fallon and James Corden I rarely watch.

Bill Maher cuts in old-timey clips of audiences roaring with laughter. It's remarkable how well that works, both to give the laugh cues that viewers are habituated to and to mock the form that requires them.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I'm sorry, what?
There is a line of thought that says "beautiful woman aren't funny stand-ups". It's not valid and never has been, but it is an actual line of thought that is or was pervasive. It has come up a few times on this board and often elsewhere.

It was never that "beautiful woman aren't funny" though.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
There is a line of thought that says "beautiful woman aren't funny stand-ups". It's not valid and never has been, but it is an actual line of thought that is or was pervasive. It has come up a few times on this board and often elsewhere.

It was never that "beautiful woman aren't funny" though.
Okay, thanks. I've never heard that before.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Bill Maher cuts in old-timey clips of audiences roaring with laughter. It's remarkable how well that works, both to give the laugh cues that viewers are habituated to and to mock the form that requires them.
I agree that the laugh track helps, even if it's completely fake and Maher's show makes it obviously fake. The other shows seem almost hollow with no laughter or audience reaction.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:20 PM

One thing that's a turnoff is that a lot of the shows look like my work conference calls these days. A guy talking while his dog wanders into the shot is amusing during a planning session with the budget team, but not as much for a tv show.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Trevor Noah, like Jon Stewart, has the ability to cut through the bullshit and get to the heart of an issue.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is supposed to be very hard for beautiful women to be funny (at least that's the conventional wisdom), but Desi Lydic is fantastic.
Quote:
I'm sorry, what?
Right, why are we treating this “conventional wisdom” as fact?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:59 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Right, why are we treating this “conventional wisdom” as fact?
No one stated it as fact.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 PM

I think he's doing a great job, but I don't like the new extended format. My internal timer starts losing patience at about 22 minutes, regardless of what the comedy central app tells me is left.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I've never heard that before.
Doing a quick Google search yielded a lot of links about this very thing:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wome...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 05-15-2020, 09:07 PM

"I think, without hesitation, Trevor Noah will earn your trust and respect...or not." Well said. Noah seems to be very comfortable in his role and has such a big orange bullseye to lampoon too.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
No one stated it as fact.
No one explicitly stated “this is fact,” but when you cite something and then evaluate Desi Lydic using it as a basis, you are treating it as fact. If all you mean to do is say that Person X is funny, then why are you using the first half of that sentence to lay out a sexist stereotype? The juxtaposition is intentional and inescapable.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

I watched Jon Stewart pretty religiously. Trevor I watch once every week or two. Apples and Oranges.

One of Trevor's strengths is also his weakness, that of being a foreigner. The "help me understand this as a non-American" schtick works very occaisionally. IMHO it was way overemployed and doesn't do it for me.

He is incredibly talented, multi lingual, sharp wit, etc. All that said, simply hasn't become my go-to. Personal preference I think. I probably tune into Colbert once a week for 5-10 minutes as a benchmark. I watched Jon Stewart pretty much every show for the entire show and the extended segments.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

To be fair, Jon Stewart could have cut way back on the segments pointing out the hypocrisy of Fox News. It seemed like every other episode featured dueling clips of one of the Fox News talking heads contradicting themselves.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
No one explicitly stated “this is fact,” but when you cite something and then evaluate Desi Lydic using it as a basis, you are treating it as fact. If all you mean to do is say that Person X is funny, then why are you using the first half of that sentence to lay out a sexist stereotype? The juxtaposition is intentional and inescapable.
Nope. This is complete nonsense. You are making an absurd and unwarranted extrapolation.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Nope. This is complete nonsense. You are making an absurd and unwarranted extrapolation.
That was how I read it as well, so they're not the only one. Does that still makes it "absurd and unwarranted"?
Old 05-16-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Never watched the TV show pre-lockdown, but the show now is one of the bright spots of my day. Love all their current correspondents. It is supposed to be very hard for beautiful women to be funny (at least that's the conventional wisdom), but Desi Lydic is fantastic. Her Foxsplaining bits are great.

I always thought they hired Noah because he was the person on earth least likely to be comparable to Jon.
I'm not sure where this "conventional wisdom" comes from, or if it's widely believed by anyone, but it's really not relevant here.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Jon Stewart is still the model of a political talk show host. But I like Trevor and think he has grown into the role. His unique perspective adds a lot. He has also done a better job than most of pandemic shows - Colbert should try more camera angles and an edgier format... I like Colbert but find him hard to watch at the moment. Noah is very witty and draws on much experience. Some of his interviews can be dull, though, few do this better than Stewart.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:02 PM

I love Trevor Noah.