Old 05-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Wings Over America

Kiss Alive 2

Hey, I was a teenager in the 70ís, what did you expect?

And while not an album, Wings live version of Coming Up was a helluva lot better than the odd version McCartney did in his basement with a Sears tape recorder.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
People are quick to dismiss it these days for various reasons but I think it belongs on any list of great live albums:Frampton Comes Alive. After all these years it's still a joy to listen to.
I'm surprised that I had to scroll down so far to see this one. Why is it being dismissed these days?

My entries:

Friday Night In San Francisco - Al di Meola/John McLaughlin/Paco de LucŪa

The Cellar Door Sessions 1970 - Miles Davis
(There's a lot of choices here)

Concert For George - Many people
Old 05-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Frank Zappa and the Mothers, Roxy & Elsewhere
OK, most of the live tracks on the are studio overdubbed. But hey. Chester Thompson's drumming on this album got him hired to drum with Phil Collins in Genesis.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

On the subject of the Whoís Live At Leeds, I was amazed to find out that the venue they recorded it at was not a stadium, a concert hall or even a good size theatre; it was in fact the student refectory at Leeds University (here's what it looks like today).

Thereís a very informative thread with lots of photos over at the Steve Hoffman Music Forums about the recording of this album; I highly recommend it for fans of Live At Leeds and/or vintage audio gear enthusiasts!
Old 05-17-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
I'm gonna get torched by this but I prefer "Love You Live" from the Stones over "Ya Yas". I like the Taylor years very much but there's something missing from 69....
Iím one of those Ya Yas fanboys, but I ainít gonna torch you. Instead, Iím going to crank up Love You Live now...Iíve never heard the whole thing. Iím sure itís as great as you say, warts and all.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
On the subject of the Whoís Live At Leeds, I was amazed to find out that the venue they recorded it at was not a stadium, a concert hall or even a good size theatre; it was in fact the student refectory at Leeds University (here's what it looks like today).
Wow! Thatís about the size of, say, the Village Vanguard!
Old 05-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Right? Imagine how LOUD it must have been.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
Kiss Alive 2
Though I don't like the song-set as much as I do from their first 'Alive' album, and it doesn't seem as "heavy", the overall sound is much more representative of how they actually sounded live.

( we know in hindsight the original live record was a bit "doctored" )
Old 05-17-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
...Having said that...I'd offer 73's "A Brussels Affair" over both of the official releases. THAT is the Stones firing on all cylinders. Wow.
This. More votes for No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, Stop Making Sense, and The Fillmore Concerts..

Adding to the list, Judas Priest, "Unleashed In The East." Also from them, though not an official album, their set at the US Festival is available on YouTube, in parts, and is amazing. Though Halford definitely got scarier as he got older...

Depeche Mode 101 is one of their best albums. U2, Go Home: Live at Slaine Castle, is good too. Under a Blood Red Sky is just too short, though it's my favorite version of Sunday, Bloody Sunday.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

The Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East is incomplete without "Mountain Jam" from Eat A Peach.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East is incomplete without "Mountain Jam" from Eat A Peach.
Which, happily, is included on The Fillmore Concerts, though the wiki does say the songs are remixed from when they were on At Fillmore East, and presumably Eat A Peach. I guess get the 6 disc set, The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings, for the definitive version.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:24 PM

Vanilla Ice -- Extremely Live. It captures the intellectual gravity of his work in a way no studio album could.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:41 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Interesting bit of Frampton/KISS live album trivia: Apparently the guys from KISS used Frampton's equipment to do the overdubs on "Alive!".

In a 2011 interview, Peter reacted to stories that his album had a bunch of studio stuff "flown in". While he admitted a couple of parts had to be fixed because of technical problems, he said
"...on Frampton Comes Alive! the rule was, if it didn't make it to the tape, then we can redo it because it needs to be done. If it made it to the tape, and it sounds good, we leave it. So nothing was overdubbed on that album at all that wasn't absolutely necessary...being known as a live performer, I'm not going to go into the studio and overdub. If you want to say that, say that about Kiss Alive, because they borrowed my guitars and my amps to do those overdubs."
Old 05-17-2020, 07:49 PM

The P-Funk All-Stars - Live At the Beverly Theater

If you've never had the chance to see George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic live, this is probably as close as you're going to get. About 100 minutes of their full 3 hour set, featuring a lot of jams and medleys; it's not just note-for-note live versions of studio songs, which most live albums are, and I think are totally pointless.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Allman Brothers: Fillmore East (Duane Allman's masterpiece)
Zappa: Just Another Band From LA (Zappa's greatest band; Howard Kaylan delivers the best male vocal performance in rock, with great support from Mark Volman)
Whom: Live At Leeds (Keith's isolated drum tracks would be an equally great record)
Simon and Garfunkel: Concert in the Park (too good to last but what a reunion. Perfection, if only for one night.)
The Concert For George (George getting the tribute he deserved)
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks Where's The Money? Perfection.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:22 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Damn it. I left one out:

David Lindley and El Rayo-X: El Rayo Live A mini-album, only six tracks. String mastery by a Living National Treasure.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Tweet!! Flag on the play. There are so many studio over-dubs on that album I don't think it qualifies any more.
You could always go with The Name of This Band is Talking Heads, particularly the extended, remastered version with full concerts. Stop Making Sense is perhaps more polished, but the former album includes the Remain in Light-Adrian Belew version of the touring band, which IMHO is peak Talking Heads.

Plenty of favorites in here already, so off the beaten track slightly I've been listening recently to Television Live at the Old Wardorf. Good if you like that sort of guitar noodling. Which I do.

The deluxe edition of REM's Murmur includes a live show from Larry's Hideaway in Toronto in 1983 that's excellent if you like early REM. There are a couple of bootlegs that are just as good, perhaps most notably Return of the Rickenbackers also from 1983 in Boston's Paradise theater.

And just since I mentioned the Paradise theater, that reminds me of another fine bootleg that was recorded there - XTC from 1980.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-17-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Just thought of Gratitude by Earth, Wind and Fire. Another fine album that I don't think has been mentioned.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-17-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:17 AM

Not my favorite type of music, but I like Johnny Cash live at Folsom Prison.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author Balk View Post
Not my favorite type of music, but I like Johnny Cash live at Folsom Prison.
A little June Carter goes a long way, but I think thatís the kind of album that makes a live album something more than just a poorly recorded studio album. Not necessarily the audience reactions but the way the performers feed off of that reaction.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Yes; this is important.
Quote:
Zappa: Just Another Band From LA (Zappa's greatest band; Howard Kaylan delivers the best male vocal performance in rock, with great support from Mark Volman)
"Billy the Mountain" is cute and clever, OK. But "Magdalena" is too triggery for many a child sex abuse survivor (the narrator does, however, cheer Magdalena with "Right on!" for resisting the abuse). Roxy & Elsewhere has less comedy material and more jams. With Ruth Underwood and Chester Thompson, no less.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

In case anyone wanted to know the greatest live album of all time, it's John Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cieskokid View Post
Rush - ''Exit...Stage Left"; from the "Moving Pictures'' and "Permanent Waves" tours, Rush @ their peak hella musicianships.
I'm not much of a fan of live albums, and this is one of the few that I own. Great stuff. "Xanadu" blows away the studio version.

I haven't listened to this in years, need to go pull it out of storage....
Old 05-19-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
......Under a Blood Red Sky is just too short, though it's my favorite version of Sunday, Bloody Sunday.
Good call. In my view, the short running time works in its favor, as live albums can become tedious to me.

Last edited by LLCoolL; 05-19-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 AM

Todd!

'Back to the Bars', Todd Rundgren
Old 05-19-2020, 11:18 AM

James Brown Live at the Apollo.

Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club, Hamburg

Last edited by doverpro; 05-19-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:56 AM

A little surprised that no one has mentioned Woodstock (the soundtrack).
Old 05-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
A little surprised that no one has mentioned Woodstock (the soundtrack).
Maybe because (IMO) most of the performances aren't very good?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Two more: 'One More From the Road', Lynyrd Skynyrd and 'Reach Up and Touch the Sky', Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Yes; this is important.
"Billy the Mountain" is cute and clever, OK. But "Magdalena" is too triggery for many a child sex abuse survivor (the narrator does, however, cheer Magdalena with "Right on!" for resisting the abuse). Roxy & Elsewhere has less comedy material and more jams. With Ruth Underwood and Chester Thompson, no less.
I agree with you that Roxy & Elsewhere is arguably the better of the two albums, but I just don't like it nearly as much. BTW, I had the pleasure of seeing Zappa (in San Diego) when the lineup included BOTH Ian and Ruth Underwood, the two best instrumentalists to ever play with Frank. (IMO)

As much as I like JABFLA, I often wish the vocals were in foreign language. The musicianship on tha album is stellar, especially Kaylan and Volman, but more often than not I have to ignore the content of the lyrics. Although the music is extraordinary, the lyrics for Magdalena are of especially and profoundly disturbing, attempting to make fun of a failed attempt at incest. I often tune out the content and imagine Howard's vocals as non-verbal guitar sounds.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 05-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe because (IMO) most of the performances aren't very good?
Blasphemer!

Admittedly some of my favorite performances (The Who, Sly/Family Stone) are more impressive visually than aurally. But I wore the grooves out of that album.

Last edited by jsc1953; 05-19-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:26 PM

My "obvious"choices: Led Zeppelin. How the West was Won and The Who Live at Leeds. On the obscure side I submit H.P. Lovecraft Live May 11, 1968. This surfaced in the early Nineties. The sound quality is exceptional and the performance is full tilt. These guys opened for Pink Floyd during their first performances in the SF Bay area and I feel they may have influenced PF's post-Barrett work.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East
Ditto, also Live Evil by Miles Davis.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
MTV Unplugged in New York by Nirvana
I'm also fond of MTV Unplugged by Alice in Chains.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:04 PM

I remember seeing Pearl Jam doing an MTV Unplugged in the early 90s and it was stunningly good. But I've never seen it again - anyone else remember it?
Old 05-19-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
I remember seeing Pearl Jam doing an MTV Unplugged in the early 90s and it was stunningly good. But I've never seen it again - anyone else remember it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0csY...BZr4n-JsXpQQJ2
Old 05-19-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
'Reach Up and Touch the Sky', Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.
Really? Hey, there are live albums from bands I didn't even know had made them! Lots of 'homework' ahead...

I'll never forget getting in my friend's sports car and he popped in an 8-track (hey, music that wasn't AM radio in a car, cool!). Now he and I were prog-rock fans, and I expected something Yes/Rush-ish. Instead it started with a staccato beat on a cowbell, and then... Hammond organ? No, some kind of virtuoso slide guitar.

And then came... energy. The band's and the audience's... here's that opening: "I Guess You Made It".

From Poco's DeLIVErin' album.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
In case anyone wanted to know the greatest live album of all time, it's John Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard.
Nah. If you want to talk jazz, Iíd go to Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson Live at the Opera House, Chicago, 1957. But I have plenty of other suggestions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_G...he_Opera_House
Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whom: Live At Leeds (Keith's isolated drum tracks would be an equally great record)
Simon and Garfunkel: Concert in the Park (too good to last but what a reunion. Perfection, if only for one night.)
The Concert For George (George getting the tribute he deserved)
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks Where's The Money? Perfection.
Dan Hicks had somewhat of a comeback in the early 2000s. He had a live album around that time called "Alive and Licking" that was pretty darn good. (I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Where's The Money? somewhere... I need to go dig that up.)

- The Police, "One World"
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 PM

I love both Roxy and Elsewhere and Live at Leeds (especially the extended version that came out on CD). I will also submit Dylan and the Band: Before the Flood. It was out of print when I first heard about it in high school, but a teacher had it and let me record it.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:45 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Dan Hicks had somewhat of a comeback in the early 2000s. He had a live album around that time called "Alive and Licking" that was pretty darn good. (I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Where's The Money? somewhere... I need to go dig that up.)
The "comeback" album was "Beatin' The Heat" and it was VERY good. To those of us who'd been following him since 1970, it wasn't so much a comeback as it was his finally getting the recognition he'd been deserving for such a long time.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 AM

MotŲrhead No Sleep Till Hammersmith seconded, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense seconded too.
Bob Dylan's At Budokan was important to me at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s, still think it is a respectable Best Of live.
On the more obscure side I love Carolyn Mas Mas Hysteria
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 05-20-2020, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
Bob Dylan's At Budokan was important to me at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s, still think it is a respectable Best Of live.
It was a strange one as I recall it. All the musical arrangements were so drastically different from the originals, you had to listen for the words to know which song was playing. The Budokan "Maggie's Farm" sounded more like Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff."
Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I don't think I saw Slade Live mentioned yet. A band much better live than in the studio.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
It was a strange one as I recall it. All the musical arrangements were so drastically different from the originals, you had to listen for the words to know which song was playing. The Budokan "Maggie's Farm" sounded more like Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff."
My first Dylan show in New Haven, 1978, was part of that tour and featured that huge band (and chorus). I would not call it...an optimal Dylan experience.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:49 AM

Marshall Tucker Band - Where We All Belong Well, half of it anyway. There was one studio disc and one live. The live one had only four songs but they all (southern) rock. 24 Hours at a Time is, in my opinion, one of the best live jams to come out of that (or any) era.

I'll second Waiting for Columbus - it was my first thought when I saw the thread.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Iíd forgotten, Yessongs, the first album I ever bought, is pretty great.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

I would have included Yessongs, but the audio quality isn't up to par. I do like to play Steve Howe's "Mood for a Day" on guitar with the variant stylings heard on Yessongs, though.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:43 PM

Oops. I just realized I'd forgotten MC5's Kick Out The Jams was live. That definitely belongs on my list.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 AM

Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo (although that was then)