Old 05-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
I forgot this one! When the detectives go to someone's workplace, the person being interviewed doesn't stop working. They just continue stacking boxes or whatever. After brusquely answering a couple of questions, they say, "Look, I got work to do," and walk away. Or, if it's somebody working on a car, they slide back under it to indicate that the interview is over. They're so blasé that you'd think cops showing up is a daily occurrence.
In addition, they give a ton of irrelevant information before a one-liner that furthers the investigation.

Police: *walking up to a man gardening. We want to talk to you about your neighbor Jim who was murdered last night.

Man: *continues gardening. Yes, I heard about that. Terrible thing. You know Jim was always a great guy. Taught my son how to play baseball since I couldn't do it after my arm surgery. He was always there to help with carrying the groceries in and drove me to my follow up appointments. His father and my father went way back. Were together on the beaches of Normandy if you can believe that. Were best buddies their whole lives. And these flowers I'm planting, we cross bred them from each others garden; beautiful aren't they? Wonderful breed that resists frost in early spring and the wives love 'em as well and we always saved money on flowers for anniversaries and the like; my wife was impressed but Jim's wife just thought he was cheap. *nudges the officer. He he.

Police: Did you see anything suspicious last night?

Man: No. Well, come to think of it, there was a strange van in his driveway after midnight, I heard a gunshot and the van sped away. Does that help?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:58 PM

Actually, according to one ex-cop I know, some people are like that. They've got their moment in the sun when somebody actually wants to hear what they've got, and by god, they are going to give you every last circumstantial detail connected with it.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I hate the plot element where one clarifying conversation, usually a short conversation, would clear up a whole big misunderstanding. The guy is about to spill it. "No, you see, I was actually talking to......" And then he's interrupted by something. A ringing telephone; an ice cream truck going by; someone else popping their head in the door...and he doesn't finish what he was about to say. He knows it's critical! WE know it's critical! But somehow this distraction causes amnesia or ADD or something and he never bothers to finish his thought. A marriage crumbles; friends have a major falling out; the alien invasion commences as planned--all because the guy stops in mid-sentence. It makes me want to yell at the screen.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
It makes me want to yell at the screen.
These all make me want to yell at the screen.

I often wonder if that'll be a side effect of getting old(er), that I'll lose that last thread of self-censorship and just go Full Monty Burns in a movie theater:
"You call that suspense? We all saw Chekov's Chainsaw half an hour ago!" "No, YOU sit down! Doesn't this bother you, too, Numbnuts, or is the rest of you numb, too?" "Well, of course I'm making a scene... because the DIRECTOR forgot to!"

Last edited by digs; 05-20-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
In addition, they give a ton of irrelevant information before a one-liner that furthers the investigation.

Police: *walking up to a man gardening. We want to talk to you about your neighbor Jim who was murdered last night.

Man: *continues gardening. Yes, I heard about that. Terrible thing. You know Jim was always a great guy. Taught my son how to play baseball since I couldn't do it after my arm surgery. He was always there to help with carrying the groceries in and drove me to my follow up appointments. His father and my father went way back. Were together on the beaches of Normandy if you can believe that. Were best buddies their whole lives. And these flowers I'm planting, we cross bred them from each others garden; beautiful aren't they? Wonderful breed that resists frost in early spring and the wives love 'em as well and we always saved money on flowers for anniversaries and the like; my wife was impressed but Jim's wife just thought he was cheap. *nudges the officer. He he.

Police: Did you see anything suspicious last night?

Man: No. Well, come to think of it, there was a strange van in his driveway after midnight, I heard a gunshot and the van sped away. Does that help?
Or even better when it comes back full circle and the neighbor murdered Jim and lied about the van because Jim ripped him off about a patent for the flowers, or his father claimed a medal at Normandy that belonged to HIS father, or that his son's arm was ruined because of improper pitching techniques. Bonus points if Jim made him feel like less of a man for carrying his groceries.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:11 PM

The short series on Netflix Fallet is great, but the tired trope of, “wait, I have to tell you something very important but your leaving too fast for me to say one sentence that’ll resolve the plot” was done over and over again. Almost as bad as the, “I know I have a gun to your head but I’m here to help I just can’t say why and you have to trust me”.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 PM

[aside]
The thread title makes me want to ask what a non-fiction trope would be.
[/aside]
Old 05-20-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
"I think I'm gonna barf."
Joel Coen wanted to cut that part out thinking it was too hoaky, McDormand, his wife, convinced him the scene should stay.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
I've been watching a lot of "classic" TV shows on old nostalgia on-air channels like ME TV lately, and here's one I've noticed that that was VERY common, but thankfully seems to have been retired in recent years: the exact double to one of the main characters who suddenly appears on the scene.

It's usually a sitcom trope, but it occasionally appeared on a cheesy drama (I'm thinking 'Charlie's Angels' probably did a double episode). The double, who not only looked but sounded exactly like the original, was usually a bad guy who took advantage of the situation to impersonate the original for nefarious purposes. This led to a climactic scene where the double and the original both appeared before the other main characters and would say "I"M Joe Original!" "No, I"M Joe Original!".
The Red Dwarf take on this one was (as in many of the earlier Red Dwarfs), pretty classic.

SPOILER:
They toss the fake Lister a guitar, and he plays as well as the real Lister thinks he plays. So they immediately shoot him
Old 05-20-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
[aside]
[/aside]
The one where every nightly news broadcast has to end with the newsreaders chuckling to each other about how amusing they found the final trivial human-interest bit at the end. Just once, I could do with "you know what, Lavinia? I'm just not that into cute roller-skating puppy dogs."
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
A Christmas Carol. You don't have a unique take on it. I'm certain you believe you do, but I assure you, you do not.
Also It's a Wonderful Life. Movies/shows about movie/TV producers who say, "I love A Christmas Carol/It's a Wonderful Life because it's public domain, so we don't have to pay anyone for it!" is getting to be a trope of its own.

Quote:
This reminds me of another "phony continuity" example-- maybe not so much a trope even, as lazy writing: someone gets a call saying "Quick-- turn on your TV to channel X News!" the person turns on channel X in time to see pretty much the entire newscast on the topic the caller wanted them to see-- not just the tail end of it.
Characters pointing this out within the show seems to be becoming a trope as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
It's not limited to biomes, though. That's something I used to say about Star Trek, back in the days when I talked about Star Trek a lot: every planet has exactly one climate, one language, one culture, one religious belief, and one fashion style.
South Park parodied this; it turns out that Earth is the location of a reality show where aliens, as a contrast to the fairly universal "one species per planet" in reality, put different species on a single planet to see what would happen.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
[aside]
[/aside]
Books written by reporters are easy to distinguish from books written by academics. If a reporter writes a book, every idea will be introduced by a portrait of and/or interview with an individual to illustrate how that idea affects the life of a person. 99% of that is worthless and drives me crazy.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
It's not limited to biomes, though. That's something I used to say about Star Trek, back in the days when I talked about Star Trek a lot: every planet has exactly one climate, one language, one culture, one religious belief, and one fashion style.
And in stories that aren't interplanetary, every nonhuman species.

(*deadpan* "You speak Elvish? What a coincidence, I'm fluent in Human.")
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
...And Dishonorable Mention to the Da Vinci Code variation: it wasn't "all a dream" but when we get to the end we discover that it all means... absolutely nothing. Nothing changes.
Like those giant alien robots whaling away on each other for hours in the Transformers movies. Other than laying waste to wherever they happen to have been fighting, nothing changes.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:03 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Joel Coen wanted to cut that part out thinking it was too hoaky, McDormand, his wife, convinced him the scene should stay.
Hokey, or boaky?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Alien invasions that consist of gigantic city-sized spacecraft hovering ominously a few thousand feet above the world's major cities (V, ID4, Transformers, Avengers, District 9, etc) :
- If you are going to blow up the cities, why does every city need it's own ship firing at point-blank? Why not just bombard them from orbit with nukes, death rays, inanimate carbon rods or whatever?
- If you are going to deploy a ground invasion, why not land the ships somewhere and deploy the ground forces instead of shuttling them back and forth?
- If you come in peace, don't ominously hover above a major city much in the same way a brick doesn't.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
If you come in peace, don't ominously hover above a major city much in the same way a brick doesn't.
Gentlemen of the Joint Chiefs, it seems that we have found our Ambassador to the Aliens.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:50 PM

The fence

Every chase scene that ends with the pursuee running up to a dead end and getting caught while trying to climb a fence.

I was at a writing seminar where a former Chicago sportswriter-turned-scriptwriter wanted to wow us by showing his rejected pilot, which had several familiar tropes, including this one. I asked him — in all sincerity — why he’d gone with such familiar bits. Was there some storytelling element I was missing, like tropes helping the audience focus on the plot?

I have never seen a face turn sour so fast. He couldn’t even acknowledge that these were cliches. Seems like Hollywood does that to a lot of writers.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's usually a sitcom trope, but it occasionally appeared on a cheesy drama (I'm thinking 'Charlie's Angels' probably did a double episode). The double, who not only looked but sounded exactly like the original, was usually a bad guy who took advantage of the situation to impersonate the original for nefarious purposes. This led to a climactic scene where the double and the original both appeared before the other main characters and would say "I"M Joe Original!" "No, I"M Joe Original!".
Knightrider at least lampshaded this by
SPOILER:
having the hero Michael Knight been turned into a double of villain Garth Knight by plastic surgery.

Last edited by Lumpy; 05-22-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxy View Post
Every chase scene that ends with the pursuee running up to a dead end and getting caught while trying to climb a fence. .
What's the matter? Haven't you ever seen a shortcut before?
Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
[aside]
[/aside]
Considering that history is often told selectively based on the lens through which it is viewed, there could be many. Biographies, too. Like when some celebrity who was once known to have struggled with addiction and is said to have "finally beat their addiction" just before they died, like they died clean. It may be true, or it may be true that they’d gone a couple weeks/months/years without a relapse, but it seems you can only ever say an addiction is "beat" in retrospect, after someone is dead, and there appears to be no uniform standard for how long it takes for such an addiction to be beaten.

For example, here’s an excerpt from Nico's Wikipedia entry:

Quote:
Shortly before her death, Nico stopped using heroin and began methadone replacement therapy as well as a regimen of bicycle exercise and healthy eating.
And then there’s Audie Murphy:

Quote:
During the mid-1960s, he recognized his dependence on Placidyl, and locked himself alone in a hotel room for a week to successfully break the addiction.
Of course he died in 1971...

It seems the only people who don’t "die clean" are the ones who die of an actual overdose. In fact, I’d say that’s the name of the trope: the "Died Clean" trope, where by respected or beloved celebrities who struggled with addiction always managed to beat it before the end, unless there is incontrovertible evidence that their addiction is what killed them. So Elvis Presley, for instance, was denied a "died clean" label in spite of the best efforts of the Memphis medical examiner who declared "drugs played no role in Presley's death" because, as it turns out...

Quote:
A pair of lab reports filed two months later strongly suggested that polypharmacy was the primary cause of death; one reported "fourteen drugs in Elvis' system, ten in significant quantity".[302] In 1979, forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht conducted a review of the reports and concluded that a combination of central nervous system depressants had resulted in Presley's accidental death.[301]
But for that, I strongly suspect The common/accepted wisdom today would be that Presley kicked his many drug habits mere months prior to his death and it was just too bad he didn’t stop sooner.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Loved ones reuniting with each other (after having been separated) and immediately hugging, kissing, having long heart-to-heart talks, etc. - while gunfire is going on around them, while the zombies/creatures are still chasing them, while the terrorists/bad guys are still in hot pursuit. Get to a place of safety first, then you can talk and hug as much as you want!
Yup! I like it when shows and movies subvert this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Considering that history is often told selectively based on the lens through which it is viewed, there could be many. Biographies, too. Like when some celebrity who was once known to have struggled with addiction and is said to have "finally beat their addiction" just before they died, like they died clean. It may be true, or it may be true that they’d gone a couple weeks/months/years without a relapse, but it seems you can only ever say an addiction is "beat" in retrospect, after someone is dead, and there appears to be no uniform standard for how long it takes for such an addiction to be beaten.

It seems the only people who don’t "die clean" are the ones who die of an actual overdose. In fact, I’d say that’s the name of the trope: the "Died Clean" trope, where by respected or beloved celebrities who struggled with addiction always managed to beat it before the end, unless there is incontrovertible evidence that their addiction is what killed them. So Elvis Presley, for instance, was denied a "died clean" label in spite of the best efforts of the Memphis medical examiner who declared "drugs played no role in Presley's death" because, as it turns out...

But for that, I strongly suspect The common/accepted wisdom today would be that Presley kicked his many drug habits mere months prior to his death and it was just too bad he didn’t stop sooner.
That is based on reality, though. I know quite a few people who've died due to drugs, and it's not uncommon for it to happen after a period where they were clean, and then they relapsed. The reason is that they no longer had the tolerance they'd built up before, so took a dose that would usually have just got them high, and died from it. Among regular drug users this is a known risk, but obviously that doesn't mean it's a risk people manage to avoid, because, well, if you were good at avoiding risks you wouldn't be taking those drugs in the first place. (I'm not a user myself, but for various reasons know a fair few people who are).

I'm sure there is an effort on the part of some bereaved people to try to whitewash their dead loved ones, but that's not the only reason for saying that someone died of drug use after a period of being clean. The people I know who've died in that way definitely weren't being whitewashed.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
I'm sure there is an effort on the part of some bereaved people to try to whitewash their dead loved ones, but that's not the only reason for saying that someone died of drug use after a period of being clean. The people I know who've died in that way definitely weren't being whitewashed.
I think you misunderstand. The proposed "died clean" trope applies to people who didn’t die of a drug overdose, however long (or if they’ve even) been "clean." Every celebrity who's ever had a drug problem and died from anything that wasn’t a drug overdose "died clean." They kicked drugs just last week and were still in rehab when they died? Beat it, died clean. Like a cowboy riding off into the sunset.

Yes, it’s an exaggeration, no I don’t assume any inherent moral failing on the part of people who suffered addiction, whether they died from it or not. It’s just a thing I’ve seen in enough deceased celebrity bios to infer a pattern—a "non-fiction trope" if you will—but will admit I have not rigorously studied the matter.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 05-23-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I think you misunderstand. The proposed "died clean" trope applies to people who didn’t die of a drug overdose, however long (or if they’ve even) been "clean." Every celebrity who's ever had a drug problem and died from anything that wasn’t a drug overdose "died clean." They kicked drugs just last week and were still in rehab when they died? Beat it, died clean. Like a cowboy riding off into the sunset.

Yes, it’s an exaggeration, no I don’t assume any inherent moral failing on the part of people who suffered addiction, whether they died from it or not. It’s just a thing I’ve seen in enough deceased celebrity bios to infer a pattern—a "non-fiction trope" if you will—but will admit I have not rigorously studied the matter.
Oh, sorry, I get what you mean now. Can't think of any time I've seen it, though. Even when celebrities have died for reasons other than their drug use, I don't recall seeing their drug use being ignored. Carrie Fisher, for example - she had drugs in her system, and the coroners couldn't determine whether they caused that particular heart attack, but the family didn't try to pretend that her years of drug use hadn't damaged her body so much that it was probably the reason for her death. She didn't die of a drug overdose but her drug use wasn't ignored.

If a celeb genuinely is clean when they die, or they die for some reason completely unrelated to drug use (like your example of Nico, who I'm afraid I'd never heard of), then it's not whitewashing to say that drugs weren't the reason for their death.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Oh, sorry, I get what you mean now. Can't think of any time I've seen it, though. Even when celebrities have died for reasons other than their drug use, I don't recall seeing their drug use being ignored. Carrie Fisher, for example - she had drugs in her system, and the coroners couldn't determine whether they caused that particular heart attack, but the family didn't try to pretend that her years of drug use hadn't damaged her body so much that it was probably the reason for her death. She didn't die of a drug overdose but her drug use wasn't ignored.
What ASL v2.0 is saying is that if Fisher hadn't had drugs in her system, she would have been said to have "died clean" - even if she had last used three days before she died. Her history of drug use and even its overall impact on her health might have been acknowledged but as long as she didn't test positive at the hospital she would have been said to have "beaten her addition" or "died clean". It's not a matter of saying that drugs weren't the reason for a death - it's a matter of saying everyone who dies for a non-drug related reason magically "got clean" right before they died. (I'm not sure how often it happens, but I've seen it happen with non-celebs, too )

Last edited by doreen; 05-23-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 AM

A trope that always bugs me is the fact that any wild animal which appears will immediately make some kind of recognisable sound (even if the species concerned does not, in fact, sound like that) and will then attempt to attack the character.

Take a snake, happily minding its own business in the desert, waiting for mousy snacks to wander into range, when a chase scene appears. Does Mr Snakey, startled by the vibrations, quietly slither under a rock when the hero runs past? Does it heck. It goes straight for 'em, hissing and striking open mouthed at the hero or, if you're really lucky, at the camera. The goal in life of a movie bat is to fly into someone's face, preferably that of a nervous woman who will scream and slap at it. You wonder what's in it for them.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Yep, and furthermore, the flamboyancy of the noise and display is the same, regardless of the size of creature. Snake? A hiss and a rearing up then an attack. Which sort of makes sense, the display might be a last ditch effort to try to get the perceived threat to go away even if flight would have been better.

But bears and dinosaurs also roar and rear before they attack even though in choosing to attack, the noise is moot anyway, and if it was a predatory attack it would have been as silent as possible.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Yep, and furthermore, the flamboyancy of the noise and display is the same, regardless of the size of creature. Snake? A hiss and a rearing up then an attack. Which sort of makes sense, the display might be a last ditch effort to try to get the perceived threat to go away even if flight would have been better.

But bears and dinosaurs also roar and rear before they attack even though in choosing to attack, the noise is moot anyway, and if it was a predatory attack it would have been as silent as possible.
One could make a topic on its own of sound effect tropes in general. There’s the Wilhelm scream, for one. And one that bugs me is when someone pulls a sword out of its sheath, there’s always a distinctive metal-on-metal sound, like “shiiiiink”. But pulling a sword out of a leather sheath would be a quiet whisper, if it made any sound at all.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
A trope that always bugs me is the fact that any wild animal which appears will immediately make some kind of recognisable sound (even if the species concerned does not, in fact, sound like that) and will then attempt to attack the character.
Especially with large carnivores, like bears ot t-rex. Why would a T-rex bother with a human where there is a bronto right there?

Carnivores arent always hungry, and at least with modern carnivores, few care to attack or eat humans.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If he's the only one who knows the language, how did he learn them and how can anyone else tell if he's actually fluent?

He killed his teachers. I must seek out these morbid children's books.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
One could make a topic on its own of sound effect tropes in general. There’s the Wilhelm scream, for one. And one that bugs me is when someone pulls a sword out of its sheath, there’s always a distinctive metal-on-metal sound, like “shiiiiink”. But pulling a sword out of a leather sheath would be a quiet whisper, if it made any sound at all.
It’s even worse when someone picks up a knife that is sitting on a table, and it makes that sound. Just by being picked up!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

From "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester:
Quote:
From the deck just above came a noise exactly like a tinker hammering on a cooking pot <...> and he realized with vague astonishment that the kettle-mending noise he had heard was the sound of cutlass against cutlass-- that clash of steel against steel that poets wrote about. So much for romance.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
It’s even worse when someone picks up a knife that is sitting on a table, and it makes that sound. Just by being picked up!
I used to think that was a played out cliche, then I actually grabbed a kitchen knife off of the counter a few years ago and completely unintentionally, it actually made that sound as the blade lightly brushed against the surface of the countertop. I actually thought to myself, "wow, it actually happens."
Old 05-23-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for responding. I'd think for a non-fiction 'thing' to be a trope it would have to happen more often ... or, perhaps the bar for non-fiction tropes would naturally be lower.

But, if there were to be a non-fiction trope, I think this would be a good example.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
And if the scabbard did have metal on the inside to cause that sound, wouldn't it be dulling the sword?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 AM

Self-driving cars, even back in the 40s. Driver has to turn and look at his passenger to talk to her, for 3, 4, 5, 6 seconds -- I always count. Long enough to go two football fields with nobody looking at the road.

Then somebody says "They're behind us" and the driver has to turn his head to look out the back --- no mirror.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:49 AM

Another is impossible bird calls. Foley editors love to fill outdoor audio with birds, uncaring that every species has a unique voice and limited range. The common loon never calls in migration through Louisiana swamps, but they,re in every bayou film.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-24-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:40 AM

Introducing a critical puzzle-like problem which is then solved 10 seconds later, sometimes completely by accident (e.g. a light hitting it just the right way). This seems especially bad in serialized TV shows. The worst offender I can think of was called Zero Hour.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:38 AM

The hero who sacrifices his life to defeat the "macguffin" menace, BUT we don't have to feel bad about that because he had a fatal illness. Bonus points for wretchedness if the hero happens to be the oldest person in the cast.

(Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, someone else I can't remember in a film about a meteor going to hit the earth....
Any other examples will be greatfully received. )
Old 05-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been watching a lot of "classic" TV shows on old nostalgia on-air channels like ME TV lately, and here's one I've noticed that that was VERY common, but thankfully seems to have been retired in recent years: the exact double to one of the main characters who suddenly appears on the scene.

I hate the part where they solve the dilemma by having the real one say something unflattering about one of the other characters. I was watching the first X-Men movie with my grandson; don't judge me, it's a pandemic, and they run into Wolverine, who Mystique had been impersonating. They don't know who he is, and he says to Cyclops, "You're a dick", and they're all like "That checks out." Well, my grandson says, "Doesn't everyone think Cyclops is a dick?" Yes, they do, or they should. He is a dick.

Last edited by Bill Door; 05-24-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:24 AM

How about the classic “horror movie jump scare false alarm” trope? Protagonist hears a sound or sees a flash of movement in a darkened, empty house and decides to investigate. Suspenseful soundtrack music while the person pokes around. Suddenly “RAWRRRR!” a cat jumps out of its hiding place while giving a loud yowl. I’ve lived with plenty of cats over the years and they generally only make a sound like that when you step on a paw or they are seriously pissed off.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
How about the classic “horror movie jump scare false alarm” trope? Protagonist hears a sound or sees a flash of movement in a darkened, empty house and decides to investigate. Suspenseful soundtrack music while the person pokes around. Suddenly “RAWRRRR!” a cat jumps out of its hiding place while giving a loud yowl.
Yeah, that one's trite and old enough to get AARP junk mail. Many are even lamer than that, and I've seen some vapid "thrillers" where the whole false alarm bit was so overused that anybody with an IQ above 75 would become jaded and and just groan. It's like the movie just bumped from one lame false alarm to the next: all sizzle; no steak.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
How about the classic “horror movie jump scare false alarm” trope? Protagonist hears a sound or sees a flash of movement in a darkened, empty house and decides to investigate. Suspenseful soundtrack music while the person pokes around. Suddenly “RAWRRRR!” a cat jumps out of its hiding place while giving a loud yowl. I’ve lived with plenty of cats over the years and they generally only make a sound like that when you step on a paw or they are seriously pissed off.
This trope is parodied by Community here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxauTJpY-hg
Old 05-26-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Yeah, that one's trite and old enough to get AARP junk mail. Many are even lamer than that, and I've seen some vapid "thrillers" where the whole false alarm bit was so overused that anybody with an IQ above 75 would become jaded and and just groan. It's like the movie just bumped from one lame false alarm to the next: all sizzle; no steak.
They should have the cat turn out to be the monster.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonum Legatum View Post
The hero who sacrifices his life to defeat the "macguffin" menace, BUT we don't have to feel bad about that because he had a fatal illness. Bonus points for wretchedness if the hero happens to be the oldest person in the cast.

(Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, someone else I can't remember in a film about a meteor going to hit the earth....
Any other examples will be greatfully received. )
Armageddon? But I don't remember the guy who sacrificed himself having a fatal illness...
Old 05-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I used to think that was a played out cliche, then I actually grabbed a kitchen knife off of the counter a few years ago and completely unintentionally, it actually made that sound as the blade lightly brushed against the surface of the countertop. I actually thought to myself, "wow, it actually happens."

I have one knife that does that just about every time I pull it out of the knife block.

It's a bread knife. Badass.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Armageddon? But I don't remember the guy who sacrificed himself having a fatal illness...
In "Space Cowboys" the guy with a fatal disease sacrifices himself.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Parenthood, duh! Specifically, Overbearing Father Syndrome.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:14 PM

Here's one: Any plot involving time travel always takes the hero to a point in time when something significant happened. Sometimes it's some major historical event, like WWII. Sometimes it's just something significant in that person's life, like Marty arriving in 1955 the exact week his parents met. A time traveler never arrives in the past on some random boring day when nothing much important happened. I recently rewatched the Voyager episode "Shattered", in which some temporal anomaly causes different parts of the ship to exist in a different period of time. And every one of there time periods was during the events of past episodes where some major disaster befell Voyager (it almost felt like a clip show in a way). None of them were just some random day on Voyager when nothing much happened. If this anomaly split Voyager into random time periods, it seems awfully improbably for all of them to be during major significant events.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Here's one: Any plot involving time travel always takes the hero to a point in time when something significant happened. Sometimes it's some major historical event, like WWII. Sometimes it's just something significant in that person's life, like Marty arriving in 1955 the exact week his parents met. A time traveler never arrives in the past on some random boring day when nothing much important happened. I recently rewatched the Voyager episode "Shattered", in which some temporal anomaly causes different parts of the ship to exist in a different period of time. And every one of there time periods was during the events of past episodes where some major disaster befell Voyager (it almost felt like a clip show in a way). None of them were just some random day on Voyager when nothing much happened. If this anomaly split Voyager into random time periods, it seems awfully improbably for all of them to be during major significant events.
I remember some SF story about a immortal neanderthal?- anyway when asked about important historic events and personages, he said he never met any and wasnt around for any of them, except maybe a plague.