Old 05-21-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Odd cheese phenomenon

In Trader Joes the other day I found a "Tapas [something]" that was a sampler of three Spanish cheeses. The price per ounce was kind of high but, knowing next to nothing about Spanish cheeses, I figured it was getting an overview without shelling out the bux for three full wedges.

It had a manchego, mahon, and Sam Simon that looked like you'd expect, a half-inch thick wedge cut from a four or five inch round with a colored rind on a couple of them. When I ate them, though, it turned out that all three had been assembled from four slices stacked on top of each other.

They weren't process cheese; the textures of the three were all different and not plasticy like process cheese is. So, I am a bit confused. Is all Spanish cheese sliced or was it a way to facilitate droppping a slice onto a cracker, and if the latter, why reconstitute the slices into a wedge again?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:06 PM

So, first off, I know it has been a while since this was an active trope, but I can't help myself:

Odd cheese phenomenon - BAND NAME!

Now that that is out of the way, it sounds like sliced wedges for placing on bread or crackers. Of course, not all Spanish cheese is packaged this way. I'm curious why you would suggest that. And as for re-constituted, why would you suggest that also. They were originally wedges, they were sliced, yah?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Now that that is out of the way, it sounds like sliced wedges for placing on bread or crackers. Of course, not all Spanish cheese is packaged this way. I'm curious why you would suggest that. And as for re-constituted, why would you suggest that also. They were originally wedges, they were sliced, yah?
100% of the Spanish cheese I have eaten (that package) was packaged that way, that's why I was doing a reality check.

While I have bought other cheeses in sliced form, it was obvious as such. This package was more like they'd sliced the cheese then carefully stacked the slices to hide that fact. Since the slices had somewhat fused together it was undetectable nor was there any clue on the package itself, Presliced for your tapas-making convenience!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 PM

I found this picture online where it's pretty clear they're slices:
https://www.innit.com/public/product...-US-0_s500.jpg

Maybe yours got warm or something to where the slices stuck together.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Looks like. Now I even see the 12 slices on the wrapper.