Refried confusion is making itself clear
Wonder which way do I go to get on out of here?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zPqgQ67yo

CMC fnord!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wow. Just a week after Leon Redbone.

And for all this time I thought they were the same guy.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 PM

RIP

Stay cool
Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post

Not even close. Mac Rebennack, studio musician, guitarist, pianist extraordinaire, plus writer of immortal tunes such as Right Place, Wrong Time; Such a Night; I Walk on Gilded Splinters. A New Orleans legend, famous around the world. He will be missed.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Goodbye, friend. Loved him.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Not even close. Mac Rebennack, studio musician, guitarist, pianist extraordinaire, plus writer of immortal tunes such as Right Place, Wrong Time; Such a Night; I Walk on Gilded Splinters. A New Orleans legend, famous around the world. He will be missed.
Thank you, I’m not an idiot.

The two of them parlayed bizarre personae into their stage appearances, which is not a common thing. You could add 1970s Tom Waits to that group.

They even did an Xmas music video together, because some producer saw the similarity. It was very good.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Damn, that makes me sad.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

So it's time for me to tell my story about Dr. John. In spite of this story, I am a big fan.

It was the 1960's. I was dating a girl whose cousin, Steve, was the road manager for a group called Crow, which was touring with Dr. John, then calling himself The Night Tripper. They came to St. Louis for one concert.

My GF expected Steve would call when he was in town, and probably give us tickets for the show. The night before the concert, the band checked in to the hotel, and found to their horror that St. Louis had rolled up the sidewalks before they arrived, just when they were getting ready to party. In a panic, Steve called up his cousin and asked if they could all come over to her house that evening. Sure, why not? Just because the two kids were in bed already, why should that be a factor?

I was at my GF's house when the call came, and about an hour later, the whole band, with Dr. John and his "manager," Charlie. They had picked up a few cases of beer along the way, and Charlie doped up Mac pretty good as usual.

After introductions all around, Mac headed for the piano and began playing a low-key, lumbering, drug-soaked blues progression, ad-libbing some lyrics. I remember a few lines like,
Well, we came to St. Louis. Boy, what a fucked-up town.
Yeah, we came to St. Louie,
And it's a fucked-up town.
Here we are all a-hangin',
And nothin's going down. Yeah...
There were many more verses, but you get the idea...

Years later, I asked one of her kids if they ever remembered the night Dr. John visited the house. The oldest said he must have slept through it. How, I don't know; it's not like it was a quiet group in a large house.

The next night, we all went to the concert at The Armory. Dr. John was sweating profusely on stage with his faux chicken bones and feathers on a staff, but Charlie kept him upright when necessary. Steve looked at the packed and rigidly standing crowd and said, "Doesn't anyone in St. Louis dance?"

Last edited by Musicat; 06-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
The two of them parlayed bizarre personae into their stage appearances, which is not a common thing. . . .
Howlin' Wolf, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Arthur Brown... just off the top of my head.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Howlin' Wolf, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Arthur Brown... just off the top of my head.
I gotta bone up on my blues. I always thought "Howlin' Wolf", was just another traditionally wacky blues moniker. I didn't know there was a stage persona to it. Hawkins and Brown though, yeah.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Gah, I forgot to talk about Dr. John! I saw him in the. . .geez, I THINK the early 90's, might have been at the end of the 80's. He was playing on a bill with Bonnie Raitt & The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Each performed separately, then jammed together. Great fun. The Doctor was not above hamming it up for laughs. When he did his solo set, it was just him and a piano, and when he started playing, there wasn't a peep from the audience until each song ended.

I count that as one of my top three concerts of all time. So much fun. I miss going to concerts.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 PM

I once saw dentist "Dr. John". He'd heard all the jokes. The kicker was that his first name was Robert and there was a singer by that name too.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 PM

Supposedly Mac Rebennack had closets full of sessions tapes from the last 60 years. It was like he just recorded whatever he was doing and flung it all in and closed the door. I hope someone with skill takes a look through that.

I never got to see him, alas. I hope he's headlining at Dooky Chase in the Sky.

Here's a great video of him playing "Iko, iko" with an overhead camera on the keyboard so you can see all the action. According to legend, he was shot in the left ring finger in a 60's era barfight, which is when he switched from guitar to piano as his main focus. We should send the shooter some flowers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkX6JUXekXY
Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm a little surprised that none of the articles that I've seen so far have mentioned that The Muppets' Dr. Teeth was inspired by Dr. John.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
They even did an Xmas music video together, because some producer saw the similarity. It was very good.
Which lets me post a link to the best version of Frosty the Snowman not done by Jimmy Durante (I consider them a tie).
Old 06-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Such A Night! He was among the finest.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
That makes six. Cool.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I'm with you. I always got these guys mixed up. Awfully nice of them to go out together to perpetrate my confusion.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:27 PM

Right. I always confuse Laura Nyro with Mariah Carey. I mean, they're both women who play the piano, right?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Right. I always confuse Laura Nyro with Mariah Carey. I mean, they're both women who play the piano, right?
I agree, but I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch over it. I figure the only way you could confuse these ppl is if you did not know one or both of them well at all.

A Leon Redbone/Dr John concert would kick SO much ass. Hope they'll play me a set when I get there one day. Hmm. . . heaven as a non-stop series of concerts in various halls, dive bars, night clubs, outdoor venues, etc. I could get behind that.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

One thing Dr. John taught me - never drop acid and listen to Gris Gris Gumbo Yaya, especially at night, 'cause he's the night tripper'.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
One thing Dr. John taught me - never drop acid and listen to Gris Gris Gumbo Yaya, especially at night, 'cause he's the night tripper'.
Shit, I don't think I want that album/CD in my house if I drop acid.

As for my aforementioned desire for a Leon Redbone/Dr. John concert, well, I don't think this song represents what I was hoping for. It's a Christmas song though, so, not really a proper sample.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Laura Nyro is dead.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Gotta go eat some Popeye's Chicken now. But I gotta make sure it's not the wrong time or the wrong place.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Dang, man, one of the best.

I saw the Neville Bros with Aaron during the week in Tokyo circa fall 1991. Great show. A couple of days later it was a Sat show and Aaron was a no-show. Consolation was Dr John joined the bill. I doubt if any of the Japanese audience knew who he was. It as a great show with a completely different set from a couple days before. I still remember they led off with Wang Dang Doodle, and my girlfriend at the time was impressed I could sing along for the first verse when the mic/speakers weren't working.

RIP
Old 06-08-2019, 12:26 PM

He shouldn't have eaten the Molokai sauce.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Laura Nyro is dead.
Ah, jaycat just said that because he knows I’d dig Laura out of the grave and do a Frankenstein on her if it would get her to make more songs and concerts and maybe let me screw her. And that I’m not a Carey fan, and had no idea she knew how to play the piano.

Anyway, I’d like to cap all that off and stanch the bloodflow by apologizing to you, jaycat. Dr. John was multifold musical genius over Redbone, and I shouldn’t have denigrated him with the comparison. You are right. I was wrong. It may have been the memory of the “Frosty the Snowman” vid that started me down that path...Redbone clearly out-acted Mac in it.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
LOL, I've been wondering if someone was going to post a "Polynesiantown" reference. (I would have, but I'm not clever enough.)
Old 06-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I once saw dentist "Dr. John". He'd heard all the jokes. The kicker was that his first name was Robert and there was a singer by that name too.
We had a Dr. John on staff at the hospital and whenever I saw his name I mentally appended "The Night Tripper".

Last edited by Jackmannii; 06-08-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ah, jaycat just said that because he knows I’d dig Laura out of the grave and do a Frankenstein on her if it would get her to make more songs and concerts and maybe let me screw her. And that I’m not a Carey fan, and had no idea she knew how to play the piano.

Anyway, I’d like to cap all that off and stanch the bloodflow by apologizing to you, jaycat. Dr. John was multifold musical genius over Redbone, and I shouldn’t have denigrated him with the comparison. You are right. I was wrong. It may have been the memory of the “Frosty the Snowman” vid that started me down that path...Redbone clearly out-acted Mac in it.
Well, my apologies too for playing the Laura Card. It was a dirty trick (but I knew it would work!)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

(Friend fist-bump) You are an evil man, and I respect that. Also your posts on musical matters.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Taste of Laura Nyro for everyone who’s forgotten her and was confused by the above:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gsLOZ9xFg

Everyone else ho wants to do sex with her, get in line behind me.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Taste of Laura Nyro for everyone who’s forgotten her and was confused by the above:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gsLOZ9xFg

Everyone else ho wants to do sex with her, get in line behind me.
If she was alive, I don't think she'd be that interested. She was gay.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
If she was alive, I don't think she'd be that interested. She was gay.
In the ‘60s and ‘70s, she was famous for sleeping her way through many of the top male rock stars. Then was married to a man for several years. Then produced a son. It was only late in her life that she realized she was gay. I would Frankenstein her back to 1968.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Saw Dr. John twice, at a small music club then at some outdoor event I was at and was pleasantly surprised to catch him performing. The first time at the club was a great show. He played guitar on one song and I seem to remember him telling the story about how he used to play the guitar but switched to piano after getting shot in the hand, as Merneith mentioned. I’ll listen to “Dr John plays Mac Rebennack” at work today in his memory, a nice low-key solo album of him playing piano and sometimes singing.

Last edited by solost; 06-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
He played guitar on one song and I seem to remember him telling the story about how he used to play the guitar but switched to piano after getting shot in the hand, as Merneith mentioned.
Blues artists always seem to have lived interesting lives. I met blues piano legend Pinetop Perkins when he was 90 and still performing. He told me that when he was a young man he played guitar and had "many girlfriends". One night he was playing guitar at a bar and one girlfriend showed up and caught him with another girlfriend. She grabbed a knife from behind the bar and sliced up his one arm so badly he never played guitar again, forcing him to learn piano quickly.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
...She grabbed a knife from behind the bar and sliced up his one arm so badly he never played guitar again, forcing him to learn piano quickly.
I’m surprised that in more than one case playing piano was seen as an “easier” choice for someone with a damaged hand/arm than playing guitar. I guess for someone with reduced finger strength it might be easier to hit piano keys than fretting notes and chords.