Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Mandy Patinkin in Fiddler on the Roof.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Alright, I'll say it: Elijah Woods' Frodo was simply not very good. I cringe watching him onscreen and mostly just want his scenes to be over so I can watch something good.
You're not wrong... but then, his role in the books and the movie is to be the boring guy, while everyone around him sparkles with life and eccentricity.

And, russian heel, in the right part, Dany Devito is an excellent character actor. He needs the right character, but so do many character actors.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
George Clooney as Batman. Playboy, sure, but hes just not dark and disturbed enough.
Oddly, I thought Michael Keaton was the perfect Bruce Wayne. But not a very good Batman. Clooney was fine as Wayne also. But yeah, not as Bats.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpnDude View Post
Will Smith in the recent Aladdin film. Even without comparing him to Robin Williams's Genie and the countless onstage Genie actors in the Broadway version, Smith's performance just seemed flat and forced. It did seem like he was trying to make his own interpretation of the role, and there is nothing wrong with that. But it just left me not feeling excited while watching.
I disagree. He played the "cool" genie perfectly, while Robin did the "funny" genie.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
John Travolta in Hairspray. Hell, the man in any musical. He's a mediocre singer and he cannot dance. In Grease, Jeff Conway upstaged him every time.

How does this man even get work?
He was fine in Grease, nothing after, imho.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Travolta tried his best in the American Crime Story series, really tried his best to be Robert Shapiro, and it simple didn't work.

That's saying a hell of a lot in a series in which Cuba Gooding Jr. played OJ Simpson and seemed to be trying to act even crazier than Simpson ever could have been, and David Schwimmer, who will be known as Ross Geller until the day he dies, was Robert Kardashian... and yet both guys totally worked. (Courtney Vance as Johnnie Cochran was incredible.)
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM

I'd probably add every actor who has played "Clark Kent" to this list except for Christopher Reeve. Reeve seemed to be only actor who bothered to differentiate between the "Clark Kent" character and the "Superman" character and it's what makes his performance in the Superman movies so memorable and iconic.

Last edited by dorvann; 06-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Downsizing failed for the opposite reason; the lead role was intended for Paul Giamatti but they ended up casting Matt Damon instead. Now I like Damon and think he's a good actor but this wasn't a role for him. Paul Safranek was supposed to be this schlub who slowly got his life together. But it's impossible to see Damon as the loser he's supposed to be for most of the story. My sense of belief doesn't stretch far enough for scenes where Matt Damon can't find a woman willing to go on a date with him.
I think Damon does a good job of playing an indecisive loser but yeah, Giamatti would have been so much better in the role. However, the failure of the film wasn't Damon's fault; it was a film with a good cast, an interesting premise and no coherent plot. Giamatti wouldn't have saved that.

On a similar note, I often wish they'd cast pretty much anyone but Keanu Reeves in The Devil's Advocate. There are films I like Reeves in, but he really dragged an otherwise stellar film down here. Imagine Edward Norton in the role, or even Brad Pitt (who could actually do a southern accent).
Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Rosie O'Donnelly in'Riding the Bus with my Sister.' One of the most unintentionally funny performances I've ever seen.
Produced by O'Donnell.

Someone upthread noted that vanity projects often go sideways when the actor/producer casts herself in a key role. Exhibit A right here. Many actors don't seem to have the self-awareness to stay within their strike zone. (Which is very narrow in Rosie O'Donnell's case.)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Patrick Swayze in pretty much everything he ever did. Often his effort and sincerity were enough to rescue the project from its own script, other times it was "Next of Kin" or "Roadhouse".
Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
-snip -

The Bank Job failed for a similar reason. Jason Statham played Terry Leather, who was supposed to be a lowlife criminal who's in over his head trying to pull off a big bank robbery. But this is Jason Stathom; we've seen him in too many movies where he's a typical action hero doing impossible things without breaking a sweat. We can't accept him as a character who's struggling to accomplish something.
The first thing I remember seeing Statham in was Snatch, where he was in over his head. I have not seen a great deal of his other work and I still believe that is his quintessential role. Since I have not seen The Bank Job my views are suspect but I have no problem imagining the actor being a victim of circumstances beyond his control. And to this day I am uneasily aware of any man who keeps pigs (even moreso if he is Chinese since watching Deadwood).
Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
The first thing I remember seeing Statham in was Snatch, where he was in over his head. I have not seen a great deal of his other work and I still believe that is his quintessential role. Since I have not seen The Bank Job my views are suspect but I have no problem imagining the actor being a victim of circumstances beyond his control. And to this day I am uneasily aware of any man who keeps pigs (even moreso if he is Chinese since watching Deadwood).
I've seen the Transporter films (which are very silly) and Death Race (which is just gratuitous action, crashes and explosions). Statham knows his niche and tends to stay within it, even if it means making films like Crank. That said, he sends up his traditional tough-guy character beautifully in Spy, so he's got that going for him.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Anyone who saw Michael Crawford in Broadway's Dance of the Vampire will agree with me: Worst miscasting in the history of theatre. Not only was Crawford dreadful, but Steve Barton, who originated the role in Germany, went totally downhill when he didn't get the role, and ended up overdosing on his prescription medications.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I think Damon does a good job of playing an indecisive loser but yeah, Giamatti would have been so much better in the role. However, the failure of the film wasn't Damon's fault; it was a film with a good cast, an interesting premise and no coherent plot. Giamatti wouldn't have saved that.
I agree the movie had other problems, mainly as you noted in the plot. I feel the filmmakers had at least four different ideas about what direction the movie should be going in and couldn't commit to any one of them.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Watching "Hoffa" starring Jack Nicholson. Now this might not be the greatest example because the writing and direction is already poor, but surely JackNicholson as Jimmy Hoffa is a home run, no?

Er, no. Despite an earnest performance, Jack just does not pull it off either. All you can think of is it's Jack Nicholson with a funny haircut playing Jimmy Hoffa and it just does not work despite the best efforts of a generational talent.

Let's put it this way: Danny Devito steals the show!

What other movies are there where the actor tries hard but still falls short? The better the actor with the biggest turkey, the better! But remember: the actor had to put his heart and soul into the part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I never followed the production, so he could've acted like a diva and phoned it in, but I think Hayden Christensen sincerely tried to do the best job he could as Anakin Skywalker.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I think Hayden Christensen sincerely tried to do the best job he could as Anakin Skywalker.
That's what we were all afraid of.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

N/m

Last edited by JohnT; 06-19-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I never followed the production, so he could've acted like a diva and phoned it in, but I think Hayden Christensen sincerely tried to do the best job he could as Anakin Skywalker.
No actor who ever lived could have pulled it off.

Everyone picks on Hayden. Watch Natalie Portman in "The Phantom Menace." She is absolutely dreadful; it's like watching a person act at gunpoint. It's one of the worst acting jobs I've ever seen, and it's NATALIE PORTMAN. The woman can act, as plainly demonstrated in (insert names of two dozen movies.) No one else is really any good either - Liam Neeson isn't good, Ewan MacGregor isn't good. I mean, either you can believe all these professional actors became incompetent at the same time and then magically rediscovered their talents once they moved on to the next project, or maybe you can believe it wasn't the actors.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Yeah, Christensen was getting praise for his roles in other movies, e.g. Shattered Glass. Sometimes it's bad acting, sometimes even a good actor suffers under bad direction.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I've seen the Transporter films (which are very silly) and Death Race (which is just gratuitous action, crashes and explosions). Statham knows his niche and tends to stay within it, even if it means making films like Crank. That said, he sends up his traditional tough-guy character beautifully in Spy, so he's got that going for him.
Statham's first role (IIRC, off the top of my head) was in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, a wonderful comic caper by Guy Ritchie. He wasn't an action hero in any sense, was continually in over his head, and was certainly out of the niche for which he became known afterwards. Vinnie Jones was the tough guy in that, which may have been only his 2nd or 3rd credit.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Statham's first role (IIRC, off the top of my head) was in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, a wonderful comic caper by Guy Ritchie. He wasn't an action hero in any sense, was continually in over his head, and was certainly out of the niche for which he became known afterwards. Vinnie Jones was the tough guy in that, which may have been only his 2nd or 3rd credit.
True, but I liked Statham in that - the character was in over his head, not Statham himself. Jones was alright but his interminable speech about the replica gun should have been trimmed down by about 75% (which is not Jones' fault).
Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 PM

The 1990 movie I Love You To Death has an all star cast (including multiple Oscar winners) grotesquely hamming up a story about a small time New Jersey domestic dispute. Even worse, I think it was based on a true story to boot.