Old Today, 09:12 AM

A good example of what I mean about the one sided nature of the complaints: Conservative opponents of abortion rights have been comparing legal abortion to the Holocaust since at least Pope Pius XII comparison in 1951 have been numerous books published directly comparing legal abortion to the Holocaust, such as There The Abortion Holocaust: Today’s Final Solution and Abortion: The American Holocaust . But apparently in this discussion, this sort of thing doesn't count as vitriol at all! It's only calling actual, literal concentration camps that aren't extermination camps 'concentration camps' that seems to warrant the label.
Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I will also note that no one has answered the question from a while back about what time period was actually free of vitriol.
I don't think there ever was such a true zeitgeist of honest, vitriol-free debate. That shouldn't be a barrier to improvement, though, and I do think less vitriol is an improvement. I'm not saying people should roll over and die, just continue to give your opponents the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.

Quote:
"Well, our concentration camps are just at the level of Germany's prewar concentration camps and not up to the level of extermination camps, why do you have to be so rude as to make the comparison to concentraion camps?"
That is almost an accurate paraphrasing. I would say pre-war German concentration camps are yet another level of evil, specifically because the inmates were detained for race/sexual orientation/religion/thought crimes/political affiliation, and they were forced to perform hard labor. Current camps imprison people based on nationality and only then because of the bureaucracy involved with asylum. So in my opinion, to compare Germany's pre-war camps with the current internment camps on the southern border is still a little over the top.

Comparison with Japanese internment camps is fine in my opinion, but it doesn't have the same outrageous and vitriolic reaction as a comparison German concentration camps. This is becacause of detentionuse the current internment camps really aren't as outrageous and offensive as German concentration camps.

~Max
Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quote:
"Well, our concentration camps are just at the level of Germany's prewar concentration camps and not up to the level of extermination camps, why do you have to be so rude as to make the comparison to concentraion camps?"
Thank you for putting my thoughts into a more readable form.
Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Thank you for putting my thoughts into a more readable form.
Well, our concentration camps are just at the level of Japanese internment camps and not up to the level of concentration camps as commonly understood, why do you have to be so rude as to make the comparison to concentration camps?

~Max