Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM

I liked this episode, and I thought it was funny that they acknowledged the uneven quality of this season:

Quote:
Morty: I gotta tell you, Rick. It's great to be in the spaceship, just the two of us, you know?

Rick: I agree. It's nice to get back to the basics after an intense, mixed bag of a year.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 AM

I liked that line too, though I was pretty underwhelmed with the episode. Not as bad as last week's, but near there. Maybe because it just seemed so... predictable. And a lot of it was just blasting away. I have no problem with the ultra-violence, but I watch the show for the jokes not the blood.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM

I've seen all the episodes except for the mini Rick clone one. Good show, my favorite is the one with the Council of Ricks and Evil Morty with the eye-patch.

[QUOTE=Garula;18572362]One thing I noticed, when Krombopulos Michael was infiltrating the compound place, was he killing the guards or just knocking them out? It looked a lot like he was just using sleeper holds (the TV shorthand for non-lethal knockouts), but there was also a crunching sound.QUOTE]

By the way, why the Hell did Morty kill that omnipresent cloud Fart?

Last edited by McDoogins; 09-29-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDoogins View Post
By the way, why the Hell did Morty kill that omnipresent cloud Fart?
Fart told him he was going to go back to his universe, get all his cloud buddies, return to our universe and cleanse everything.

Which is why Morty freaks out so much when Rick jokes that he found a wormhole full of his buddies.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
I just discovered this show and am working my way through season 1, but I really love the voicework - the slight stumbling of both Rick and Morty. I literally (REAL literally, not Internet literally) had tears running down my face at Rick's reaction to the Lucky Charms parody in "Rixty Minutes". "Kid, when you're selling cereal - you've, you've, you've got to pump the gas. Gotta put the pedal to the metal, OK?"
I'm a few weeks late to the party, but this quote is about a year-old episode anyway, so what the hell.

The thing that got me was Tophat Jones screaming,"Demons! I see demon's a-comin'!" during his death scene. So over-the-top.

The miltiverse TV episode sucked. The b-plot was the best part. The commercials were lame. I read on the internet (with all the reliability that entails) that Justin got drunk and did unscripted TV & commercial improv. I'm thinking they at least need to have a plot or situation in-hand before they get drunk and improv dialog, 'cause as gold as the first episode was, this one was lame. Interesting that both episodes had strong b-plots with Beth and Jerry, though.

The "purge night" episode was better, but not exactly gold. Let's hope for a strong finish to the season next weekend.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Fart told him he was going to go back to his universe, get all his cloud buddies, return to our universe and cleanse everything.

Which is why Morty freaks out so much when Rick jokes that he found a wormhole full of his buddies.
He even sang about it.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
The commercials were lame. I read on the internet (with all the reliability that entails) that Justin got drunk and did unscripted TV & commercial improv.
Say what you will, I'm still looking forward to the premiere of Alien Invasion Tomato Monster Mexican Armada Brothers Who Are Just Regular Brothers Running In A Van From An Asteroid And All Sorts Of Things: The Movie.

Hell, I'll settle for season 1 of Ball Fondlers on Blu-Ray.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 AM
SDSAB

The Purge/"Return of the Archons" episode was meh. A few good lines, though:

MORTY: "That's horrible!"
RICK: "Yeah... you wanna check it out?"

MORTY: "I'm not watching."
RICK: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Your medal's in the mail."

RICK: "Oh, Morty, how could I refuse, after all you've done to blackmail me?"

RICK: "A spoon, Morty? A spoon? There's a pile of silverware and you throw me the one thing that never killed anybody."
Old 09-30-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post

RICK: "A spoon, Morty? A spoon? There's a pile of silverware and you throw me the one thing that never killed anybody."
But Rick had literally just killed someone with it.

If anyone likes comics, Oni Press is putting out a Ball Fondlers special issue of the Rick and Morty book.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Well, the season finale started out schwifty, but then it took a hard left squanch. Surprisingly dark ending with Rick turning himself in to the tune of "Hurt" and the Smiths being dropped back on Federation-occupied Earth. The stinger with Mr. Poopybutthole was delightfully meta and at least offered a smile to end the season with after such a huge downer.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out why "Tammy's" cyborg parents looked and sounded so familiar until the credits revealed that they were being played by James Callis and Tricia Helfer - i.e., Dr. Gaius Baltar and Number Six! A nice little easter egg, considering how they must have been living undercover on Earth for years.

I guess I'll have to find something else to get schwifty to "for a year and a half or maybe more" until season 3, when I presume the Smiths are going to launch a prison break and somehow liberate Earth from the Federation. (Maybe in the meantime I'll be able to figure out what the hell a plumbus does.)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM

Good season ender... started out a bit boring, and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, and then boy did it. The little sequence where they try to find a new planet to live on was great, I just love the sci-fi moments like that. And then of course the super-depressing ending... given what we already saw after 2x03 shouldn't be surprising. But jeez what a cliffhanger, I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER YEAR AND A HALF OR MAYBE MORE

Last edited by magnusblitz; 10-05-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Poor Birdperson. Killed at his wedding and his last thought was that his love had betrayed him. In any culture, that would be considered a dick move.

Did you see the wedding band's instruments? The drums were obviously testicles and the cymbals were nipples.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

A thought occurs to me.

Rick was gone for so many years because he (and Birdperson, and Squanchy, and several others) were fighting a small-scale guerilla war against a Federation that rules the galaxy through police oppression and drugging, which considers him a terrorist, and from which he's already escaped their penal colony once.

Rick's backstory is Blake's Seven.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM

The "finding a new Earth" sequence reminded me of Arthur's similar quest in The Hitchhiker's Guide. Also, the bit where Rick turned himself in had the perfect comedic balance - the bittersweet ". . . oh" when you realize what he's doing, and then the fact that he just had to slip a dig at Jerry in there.

That ending, though . . .
Old 10-05-2015, 04:29 PM

Quite a gut-wrencher of an episode.

I wonder when Season 3 will start.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
The "finding a new Earth" sequence reminded me of Arthur's similar quest in The Hitchhiker's Guide.
You know, one could probably eventually get used to the Sun screaming all the time.

Quote:
the bittersweet ". . . oh" when you realize what he's doing, and then the fact that he just had to slip a dig at Jerry in there.
"I'm just doing what's right for the galaxy here. I'm Jerry Smith, and I love sucking big sweaty cock and licking disgusting furry testicle-sacks."
"...Umm, okay."

Last edited by Smapti; 10-05-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
A thought occurs to me.

Rick was gone for so many years because he (and Birdperson, and Squanchy, and several others) were fighting a small-scale guerilla war against a Federation that rules the galaxy through police oppression and drugging, which considers him a terrorist, and from which he's already escaped their penal colony once.

Rick's backstory is Blake's Seven.
Here's another thought: The years Rick spent fighting the guerilla war has caused him to suffer from PTSD. That could account for a lot of his hostile and moody behavior along with his drug and alcohol problems.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
The years Rick spent fighting the guerilla war has caused him to suffer from PTSD. That could account for a lot of his hostile and moody behavior along with his drug and alcohol problems.
No disagreements there. This episode certainly explains a lot of why he distrusts the government and his general cynicism.

I found it interesting that when they played "Hurt" (which works so well for Rick) over the closing scenes, they deliberately left out the final verse;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Reznor
If I could start again
A million miles away
I will keep myself
I would find a way
That verse of the song always seemed to imply, to me at least, that the singer wishes he could have found a way to be true to what he is without having hurt the people around him. It's the part of the song that offers the singer a chance at redemption. Does Rick believe that he's beyond saving? Probably. Is he truly beyond saving? I don't think so - and it'd make a great conclusion to that story arc if they use the final verse for a dramatic moment in the season 3 premiere.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The stinger with Mr. Poopybutthole was delightfully meta and at least offered a smile to end the season with after such a huge downer.
Disliked the stinger, spoiled the mood.

So the insectoids are the dominant species, and the assassin's species is either a different caste or something, interesting.

Why couldn't they take Rick earlier, Tammy knew where he was obviously.

Last edited by grude; 10-06-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post

So the insectoids are the dominant species, and the assassin's species is either a different caste or something, interesting.

Why couldn't they take Rick earlier, Tammy knew where he was obviously.
I loved the stinger. It was kinda funny, then it got awesome when he flipped out on the pizza delivery guy and ended up rolling on the floor with pepperoni stuck to him, taunting us about how long it would be until the next episode.

They didn't take Rick earlier, because, as Birdperson said, there were 17 wanted felons at his wedding. One Rick vs Rick + 16 others. A highly unlikely long-con, but it's a cartoon.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Great episode. But man a year and a half on that cliffhanger? Brutal.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
BANNED

This of course means Rick lied in the pilot, they would never have passed through customs. He always expected a shootout.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I generally find the winking meta-comments in the series to be more lame than funny, although I didn't mind the episode Total Rickall which played with sitcom conventions. In particular, I thought the Mr. Poopybutthole bit ran on too long.

Last edited by hogarth; 10-06-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 PM
BANNED

What if Rick's cheap dig ends up recorded and effecting Jerry?

"Glory hole operator?"

"What is a glory hole?"
Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 AM
SDSAB

Not a bad episode. The alien UPS was funny. Jerry's wedding-reception chatter was just as awkward as you'd think. The screaming sun and the tiny planet (driving a species extinct just to make one breakfast's bacon!) were good. I can wait for S3... but it won't be easy.

Quote:
...RICK: "A spoon, Morty? A spoon? There's a pile of silverware and you throw me the one thing that never killed anybody."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
But Rick had literally just killed someone with it....
I guess that makes him the first! Reminds me of Blue Raja from Mystery Men, who uses silverware as weapons, but never knives ("I'm not Stab Man, I'm not Knifey Boy!").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek Mecha View Post
Poor Birdperson. Killed at his wedding and his last thought was that his love had betrayed him. In any culture, that would be considered a dick move....
I thought the same.

Best lines:

RICK: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

RICK: "Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."

ALIEN ANCHORWOMAN: "Spaghetti? Kangaroos? I've gotta check this place out."

FELON: "What are you in for?"
RICK: "Everything."
Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM

I predict Morty calls on the Council of Ricks to get Rick out.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:55 PM

So, anyway, Mr. Beauregard still appears in the opening credits (the pillowfight scene). Was he a real, human, friend of the family???
Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 PM
SDSAB

No. Proven in "Total Rickall" to be an alien parasitical memory... but still in the opening credits!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:50 AM
BANNED

We still don't really know enough about how the galactic federation operates or the conflict Rick was part of to judge it exactly. I really don't like this because the show is asking us to pick a side with limited information. Imprisoning Fart to stop him from alerting his species and cleansing the universe of all carbon based life certainly seemed a prudent move, I wonder who paid for the attempted hit on Fart? A rival galactic super power? On the other hand they appear tyrannical in some respects, conquering a planet like earth and proclaiming it as the newest member of the federation, Jerry willingly took the drugs offered so they aren't forced drugging people anyway.

If Rick's great cause is simply against government order or control of any kind and he is just for chaos or anarchy it makes him seem pretty childish.

Same way the show asks us to laugh at Morty and Summer's naive planetary mindset and moral system, and agree knowingly with Rick while not understanding exactly what less provincial moral system it is we are agreeing with.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

My guess is that Rick's war with the Federation has something to do with Morty. Birdperson had a photo in his apartment of himself posing with Morty as a baby, but Morty's only 14 years old, and Rick had been gone for 15 years before returning to Earth. Perhaps Morty is actually an alien, or a clone, or a product of some Federation experiment?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:08 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...the show asks us to laugh at Morty and Summer's naive planetary mindset and moral system, and agree knowingly with Rick while not understanding exactly what less provincial moral system it is we are agreeing with.
True. And a provincial moral system might still be more benign/utilitarian than the alternative(s).

What were your favorite eps this season? For me:

"Mortynight Run" (especially the unlicensed Jerry daycare)
"Total Rickall" (all of the bizarre false-memory parasites filling up the house)
"The Ricks Must Be Crazy" (the ship defending Summer, the miniature universes, Colbert's guest-star turn)

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Gonna have to go with "Get Schwifty" as my favorite of the season - the A-plot and B-plot were both solid and played off one another, the guest stars were great, and let's face it - the title song was a jam.

I even bought the t-shirt.

I'm Mr. Bulldops!

Last edited by Smapti; 10-08-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:10 PM
SDSAB

S2 episode guide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_and_Morty_(season_2)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:

"Total Rickall" (all of the bizarre false-memory parasites filling up the house)
"The Ricks Must Be Crazy" (the ship defending Summer, the miniature universes, Colbert's guest-star turn)
For my top 3 of this season, I'd probably drop "Total Rickall" from your list and add "Big Trouble in Little Sanchez." I really loved Beth and Jerry's marriage counseling-gone-awry.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:05 PM

I'd go with Mortynight Run, Get Schwifty and The Ricks Must Be Crazy as top 3, with Total Rickall just a smidge behind.

A Rickle in Time (spltting into parallel universes), Auto Erotic Assimilation (Unity) and the finale in the next tier.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure how you guys can be emotionally invested in the welfare of Rick and Morty. Rick has committed genocide, and Morty has gone on a murderous spree. I rather hope things don't go well for them, like with Walter White, for instance.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 AM

That murder spree was perfectly legal!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
I'm not sure how you guys can be emotionally invested in the welfare of Rick and Morty. Rick has committed genocide, and Morty has gone on a murderous spree. I rather hope things don't go well for them, like with Walter White, for instance.
Ugh, you've got what the intergalactic call "a very planetary mindset."
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM

Wubba lubba dub dub!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Wubba lubba dub dub!
Rikki-tikki-tavi, beeyotch!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Rikki-tikki-tavi, beeyotch!
AIDS!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Your medal is in the mail.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Your medal is in the mail.
Don't break an arm jerking yourself off.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:35 AM

You know someone is going to get laid in college.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

And that's the waaaaaaaaaaaaaay the news goes.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:53 PM
SDSAB

Out of the frying pan dot dot dot, eh, Morty?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

(falls into a pile of empty beer bottles) BURGER TIME!
Old 10-11-2015, 05:18 PM

"Get Schwifty" was one of my favourite episodes, though it got very mixed reviews online (to put it kindly.) I also liked the one with Tiny Rick.

Has anyone here read the Rick and Morty comics?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Roiland and Harmon tweet about why it will take 1.5 years to make Season 3.

https://i.imgur.com/XslEfdI.jpg
Old 10-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Yup, those were the best three.