Old 12-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Is this true, because the only thing holding me back is that I need 3 accounts, one for me and one for each of the kids, and the kids don't have smartphones
It appears to be. Our neighbor recently used her account on her phone, then we used both my account and her brother's account on my phone.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
It looks like I can use my app for both accounts to check in though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Is this true, because the only thing holding me back is that I need 3 accounts, one for me and one for each of the kids, and the kids don't have smartphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
It appears to be. Our neighbor recently used her account on her phone, then we used both my account and her brother's account on my phone.
Don't order those extra Movie Passes just yet. While you can apparently log into other accounts on your phone, you can't activate more than one card on a single phone. The wife's card arrived in the mail, and while I could log into her account on my phone, we could not activate it. Finally we got her Thai-purchased phone registered with a US-based app store, and as soon as she logged into her account on it, it asked her to activate the card.

I'd probably be careful about using other cards on one's phone. Looking over the literature, it seems the system may not like it even if it is possible.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Update: The wife managed to wrestle down a Movie Pass app from a US app store. We went to see a movie yesterday -- Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, which we loved -- and both successfully used our Pass, me using the one I registered with on my phone and hers the one from her phone. So this seems very worth the effort to get. And they still honor our movie-extras card at this particular chain, so we still earn free tickets, free popcorn etc.

When the wife's card arrived in the mail, we tried registering it on my phone, but it would not register. Once she got the app downloaded on her phone, no problem, it registered.

However, our neighbor. She registered her card on her phone. And she also registered her brother's card on her phone. Her brother lives in San Francisco and does not have a smartphone. That may be why she still has his card, hasn't mailed it to him, but she swears she registered both cards on her phone and routinely uses both cards here to get a ticket for her and one for a friend when they go see a movie, using her account for her card, then logging out and logging into her brother's account, all on the same phone. She even used her brother's card to get a ticket for my wife before we got her her own card, so I know that part is true, that she can at least use both accounts on one phone.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 AM

The AMC chain is getting annoyed at being given free money, and has instructed their staff to not credit MoviePass customers with Stubs points (their loyalty program.) The solution is to use their kiosks to buy tickets and scan the card on those.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM

They're probably right to be annoyed, this is unlikely to be good for the movie industry long term. They're burning massive amounts of investor capital to take a huge loss on buying these tickets for everyone in the hopes they can eventually coerce the movie theaters on giving them good deals on tickets or a kickback from something like concessions. Their goal is to lose a few billion but make the theaters realize they're dependent on moviepass and it's members to get people coming to their theaters so they become a powerful player in the market that can dictate terms to the movie theaters.

If/when it fails, the people who got used to paying $10/mo for movies will probably not be thrilled by going back to paying $12 per movie and will see fewer movies, hurting the long term outlook of the theater industry. And even if it doesn't fail (and it seems quite likely to fail to me), then they've got this outside entity wielding a lot of control over their business.

This is a rare instance of an American corporation looking out for their own long term interests rather than just being happy to cash in on an unsustainable short term boost.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-11-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
The AMC chain is getting annoyed at being given free money, and has instructed their staff to not credit MoviePass customers with Stubs points (their loyalty program.) The solution is to use their kiosks to buy tickets and scan the card on those.
I just used my Stubs card with my MoviePass yesterday at an AMC so this policy is by no means universal yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
They're probably right to be annoyed, this is unlikely to be good for the movie industry long term. They're burning massive amounts of investor capital to take a huge loss on buying these tickets for everyone in the hopes they can eventually coerce the movie theaters on giving them good deals on tickets or a kickback from something like concessions. Their goal is to lose a few billion but make the theaters realize they're dependent on moviepass and it's members to get people coming to their theaters so they become a powerful player in the market that can dictate terms to the movie theaters.

If/when it fails, the people who got used to paying $10/mo for movies will probably not be thrilled by going back to paying $12 per movie and will see fewer movies, hurting the long term outlook of the theater industry. And even if it doesn't fail (and it seems quite likely to fail to me), then they've got this outside entity wielding a lot of control over their business.

This is a rare instance of an American corporation looking out for their own long term interests rather than just being happy to cash in on an unsustainable short term boost.
I pointed out earlier in the thread, two chains in the UK, Cineworld and Odeon, have had all you can view programs for years.

Last edited by gaffa; 12-11-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Mostly, it's about selling more hugely profitable concessions.

I think MoviePass is betting the whole pile that in the future this will become the way people pay to watch films in a theater.

Theater attendance has been going down for a while (with all the competition from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) and cinema owners, as well as the movie studios, are scrambling for a way to fill up the seats.

If you can get more butts in seats that's great because (I believe) concessions is where (the cinemas) make most of their money. The studios make more too from a larger gate (at first)*

I suspect MoviePass feels that monthly subscriptions to theaters is the future, just like unlimited Netflix viewing became the dominant successful model (as opposed to renting each film separately). I believe MoviePass thinks that once enough people get addicted to this method of movie viewing AMC and the others will have to let MoviePass in on the concessions, and/or help subsidize MP's low monthly rate because if they don't, they will lose lots of bux to other chains that stick with MP.

The fact that MP does this through a credit card purchase and not through some contractual deal with the cinemas means the cinemas can't put an end to it. As well, once MoviePass gets the lion-share of the market it will be far too late for AMC, etc., to offer monthly subscriptions of their own especially as those would be limited to only one cinema chain. AMC can see how this will play out which is why they're so pissed. But I think they (and the studios) will end up doing alright after the dust settles.

MP's model here isn't so crazy after all. They're losing tons of dough upfront to corner the market. It's an investment.

TL; DR:

New cinema business paradigm:

Ultra-low-subscription fee movie ticket "middleman" gets millions more viewers in cinemas.
Cinemas and studios resist at first.
Once it's realized it's all about selling a BUNCH more concessions and gaining valuable data-mining, the cinemas and studios relent because...
The only thing that's changed is where their revenue comes from... not how much they are making.

*Eventually the studios are going to have to ask for a lower % of the gate because in the MP system there will be less money per ticket. The studios will then want a cut of concessions. Which should work out fine because if enough people go to the theaters a whole lot more concessions will be sold.

ETA: And, oh yeah... once this all takes off and becomes the new paradigm, the subscription price WILL go up. But not so much that moviegoers revolt and the whole thing crashes. Maybe from $9.95 / month to $15 or $20 / month.

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 12-11-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

FWIW Cinemark just rolled out their new loyalty program. $8.99 a month includes one free ticket, 20% off concession and the ability to buy another ticket at $8.99. Your monthly tickets roll over each month, which is nice.

Most definitely not the same deal as moviepass but...it’s a thing.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
FWIW Cinemark just rolled out their new loyalty program. $8.99 a month includes one free ticket, 20% off concession and the ability to buy another ticket at $8.99. Your monthly tickets roll over each month, which is nice.

As I said, two different UK chains are offering the MoviePass model for unlimited films in their theaters for £17.90 per month, and have been doing so for years. They exclude the London West End locations, and they issue a card with a photograph so they can't be shared, but it's obvious that some price point works. Here's Cineworld's one and here's Odeon's one.

I'm fairly sure both have been offering these programs for quite some time.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 PM

Here's my experience so far. My wife and I signed up, got our cards within 2 weeks, a few days ago. We went to the theater tonight, clicked on a movie showtime, and got an error message saying "your account is an incorrect status to make reservations". Apparently, the app was supposed to ask us to confirm our card numbers, but it hadn't, and there is no way to enter it without the app asking.

I messaged customer service - they have yet to respond, several hours later. Looking around online, some people on reddit suggested the workaround of getting an e-ticket, which can be done without the app having registered your card, and which basically activates your account. Unfortunately, there are very few e-ticket theaters in this area, and the only one near my zip code appeared to be a Bollywood theater. So I selected an e-ticket for a movie there, which I wasn't actually interested in seeing. That counted as my movie for the day, but it appears to have activated my account; the "MoviePass Card" screen now shows the card number instead of "registration processing". I'll try again this weekend, and post an update here.

Last edited by Shmendrik; 12-14-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmendrik View Post
Here's my experience so far. My wife and I signed up, got our cards within 2 weeks, a few days ago. We went to the theater tonight, clicked on a movie showtime, and got an error message saying "your account is an incorrect status to make reservations". Apparently, the app was supposed to ask us to confirm our card numbers, but it hadn't, and there is no way to enter it without the app asking.

I messaged customer service - they have yet to respond, several hours later. Looking around online, some people on reddit suggested the workaround of getting an e-ticket, which can be done without the app having registered your card, and which basically activates your account. Unfortunately, there are very few e-ticket theaters in this area, and the only one near my zip code appeared to be a Bollywood theater. So I selected an e-ticket for a movie there, which I wasn't actually interested in seeing. That counted as my movie for the day, but it appears to have activated my account; the "MoviePass Card" screen now shows the card number instead of "registration processing". I'll try again this weekend, and post an update here.
I messaged Customer Service weeks ago with a question and never got an answer. It was something I eventually figured out for myself.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
MP's model here isn't so crazy after all. They're losing tons of dough upfront to corner the market. It's an investment.
Thinking about it, CostCo would not be selling one year subscriptions to MoviePass if they didn't have some assurance that they will be around for a least a year. CostCo are no fools, and their customer satisfaction and retaining members for years is the whole basis of their business model, and MoviePass failing to deliver would reflect poorly on them and cause dropped memberships.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I go to a lot of different theaters, AMC and otherwise. In the Chicagoland area, the only theaters I've found that don't accept MoviePass are the two ArcLight theaters and the two Landmark Centurys. Snobby assholes.
I guess I probably had seen this earlier but tuned it out, because I did try to use MoviePass last night only to wonder why the cinema wasn't showing up. Surprise! It was a Landmark (alas). Shame because they're actually a pretty significant chain up here in NorCal, but there are also few movies they're showing that can't be seen somewhere else with a little initiative so those titles will involve a bit more planning and geographic strategizing.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
I guess I probably had seen this earlier but tuned it out, because I did try to use MoviePass last night only to wonder why the cinema wasn't showing up. Surprise! It was a Landmark (alas). Shame because they're actually a pretty significant chain up here in NorCal, but there are also few movies they're showing that can't be seen somewhere else with a little initiative so those titles will involve a bit more planning and geographic strategizing.
Yeah, I missed a few movies because they were only playing at either Landmark or ArcLight. Most movies play in other theaters here in Chicago, but I missed the recent First They Killed My Father, and the 2017 Foreign Language Oscar nominee Land of Mine because of it. I will never forgive them.

Today is my 1st year anniversary of using MoviePass. Last year on this day I used my card for the first time to see Solace, with Anthony Hopkins. It wasn't great, but I'm glad I saw it. It was one of those smaller movies that came and went in a week, and that I never would have seen if not for MoviePass. I keep track of all my movies and when I used MoviePass, and since I activated my card I've seen 223 movies using it. I do love it so.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Slashfilm called out AMC - MoviePass Has Turned AMC Theatres Into a Petulant Child. From the article:
Recently, AMC Theatres has been more passive aggressive about their attempts at creating MoviePass restrictions. Since AMC Theatres can’t stop customers from paying with MoviePass, instead they’re punishing those customers by not allowing them to earn points on their Stubs or Stubs Premiere card for their ticket purchases made with a MoviePass card. It’s basically the movie theater chain equivalent of, “Fine, you can play in our sandbox, but you can’t use our bucket.” Give me a break.

Other AMC Theatres have been more bold (or maybe they’ve misunderstood how they’re supposed to handle MoviePass customers). At least one AMC Theatres location in Illinois stopped customers from buying a ticket with MoviePass altogether, saying that they don’t accept the card. I know this because my twentysomething cousin was turned away from this location on several occasions until he eventually decided to go elsewhere.
On the other hand, the MoviePass Mastercard AND the Stubs card both work perfectly well at the AMC kiosks, so as long as you take the MeatBot in the box office out of the equation, you can use both. Unless AMC has some super-secret database of every single Mastercard number and can block those numbers associated with MoviePass, there is no way to make this happen.

Slashfilm also confirmed what I had suspected earlier in this thread:

In Deadline’s recent report on the newly revealed yearly subscription plan that MoviePass is offering for a limited time, they offered up this nugget of information:

“AMC Theatres reportedly shopped around their version of a monthly ticket price plan to the major studios, which Deadline heard was met with a cold response.”

And there it is. Now this all makes perfect sense. AMC Theatres wasn’t against the idea of MoviePass. Instead, AMC Theatres was upset that MoviePass was able to succeed where they had failed. The reason AMC Theatres couldn’t get their own subscription plan to work (something we suggested they should do if they hated MoviePass so much), is because studios were leery about renegotiating how much money they would get from any ticket sales tied to the potential subscription plan. MoviePass doesn’t have that problem, because they’re paying full price for tickets. So now AMC Theatres is retaliating by making the movie-going experience for MoviePass customers downright inconvenient.
I know if I were an AMC stockholder, I would be seriously questioning the sanity of the current AMC management, and would be demanding the resignation of their CEO.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 AM

In the past three months AMC has gotten $350 from me through Moviepass, plus I’ve signed up for the $15 Stubs account which I never ever would have considered otherwise. Without Moviepass I doubt I would even have passed $50 as I would only have gone to the cheaper matinees.

I used the kiosk tonight (saw “All the Money in the World”) and it accepted my Stubs account.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 AM

Yeah, AMC doesn't get it. They should be acquiring MoviePass instead of trying to roll their own which will fail.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:40 AM

You guys understand that movie pass is losing money by the billions, right? It's not a sustainable model. They're burning cash to either leverage their influence to get power/money from movie theaters, or they're going to collapse (much more likely IMO) and leave people bitter about the idea of paying $12 for a movie and a reduced moviegoing population. Either one is likely to be bad long term for the theaters.

Once moviepass collapses, that would be the time for these theaters to launch their own version of it to try to recapture some of that audience.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:44 AM

I don't understand AMC's objection either. It would seem to me that (at least in the short-term) this is a big boon, because MP is paying them full price for the tickets. People with MP will go see a lot more movies than they otherwise would, and that extra money is going straight to AMC, along with any extra concessions they purchase. A friend of my theorized that AMC thinks when MP eventually fails (and it likely will, I can't see how they'll stay profitable), if MP catches on people will be used to paying $10/month for nearly unlimited movies and will balk at going back to the regular ticket prices. I dunno.

EDIT: Ninja'd by SenorBeef

It is a credit card that MP sends you, right? Are they hoping you'll use it for other purchases (like every other 'store' credit card like Target or Macys or whatever)? Are they making money from selling your purchasing habit info? I just don't see what's in it for MP.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 12-28-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:58 AM

It's a debit card, yes, but it can only be used to purchase movies. You use the app to enter a movie you're going to see, and they pre-load the card with the amount the ticket will cost.

They do sell the movie viewership data to advertisers, yes, but that's worth a fraction of a cent per movie. I often hear people say that's how they make their money (they're partially owned by an analytics firm) but I can assure you no one is going to pay $12 per movie to see what you saw. That's as implausible as a restaurant giving you free $20 meals to see what appetizer you get with your entree or a grocery store giving you $50 in free groceries to see what you buy. That data is worth a fraction of a cent per user per transaction, not $12.

They've been funded by venture capital to the tune of billions. Their plan is to try to dominate the market - imagine if 50%+ of the moviegoing public was coming in through moviepass - and then they can say "oh hey, we're going to stop letting moviepass customers go to your theater unless you give us X" - X would be heavily discounted tickets, kickbacks on concessions, something along those lines, so that they can try to actually turn a profit on this in the long term. Their goal is to become so necesary to the movie theaters that they can throw their weight around before they run out of money.

That's why AMC doesn't like this. They either become subservient to moviepass, or moviepass fails and after a year of going to movies for $10/mo they're not going back to paying $10+ per movie. Either outcome is bad long term for them.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-28-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:01 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I just don't see what's in it for MP.
My very strong suspicion is that MoviePass (and their investors) are hoping that they can sell the company. That's likely why they lowered their prices so dramatically a few months ago -- in an effort to build up their subscription base to a level where they look attractive to a potential buyer.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post

I joined Cinemark's program to check it out. Another nice thing it does is waive the fee for online/phone app purchases and you can scan the purchase code at the ticket takers podium. You can bypass the whole outside ticket buying, or having to print the tickets at the inside kiosk. This comes in handy as I'll often catch the first mainee on a weekday and stay for a double feature.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I just don't see what's in it for MP.
My very strong suspicion is that MoviePass (and their investors) are hoping that they can sell the company. That's likely why they lowered their prices so dramatically a few months ago -- in an effort to build up their subscription base to a level where they look attractive to a potential buyer.
There’s an article in The New York Times today about MoviePass. It says, “Mr. Lowe [MoviePass CEO], who previously sparred with studios as president of Redbox, the kiosk company that rents DVDs for $1 a day, believes that ticketing can at least be a break-even business for MoviePass. The real treasure in this venture, he contends, is the trove of data about consumer tastes and habits that MoviePass can collect. It hopes to sell that data to studio marketers.”

I'm skeptical about the business model. It seems doomed to failure. But I've been wrong before. Many, many times before.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 12-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

What they really need to start doing, and I can't believe it's not a thing yet, is to put ads on their app. You HAVE to use the MoviePass app to use the MoviePass card to see a movie, so there's a captive audience for at least a few seconds. I wish they would. Then maybe people will stop coming up with scenarios of what they think MoviePass is up to, then condemning MoviePass for it.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 PM

No one is condemning movie pass. People in this thread have said that moviepass makes money by collecting data, which is very off by several orders of magnitude, and didn't know why AMC was so mad at getting free money, so I tried to explain it.

15 second ads aren't going to pay for $12 movies either, and most likely will just really piss off the customer base - people go apeshit to have ads in something they're subscribing to, witness the backlash against hulu.

I don't know what you mean by "coming up with scenarios" - it's not a big mystery here. No business model is viable for them except to grow big enough to influence the way the movie industry works. They're nowhere near profitability in their current model, obviously - they're just trading venture capital money for subscribers and influence. What else could they be doing?
Old 12-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
They're nowhere near profitability in their current model, obviously - they're just trading venture capital money for subscribers and influence. What else could they be doing?
That's my assumption, as well -- that they're burning money at this point, hoping to get to the point where they're big enough that they can either (a) get bought out by someone, or (b) force a change in their relationship with the theater chains.

I still suspect that the way that they're operating right now (requiring the special debit card, requiring each ticket to be purchased on a different smartphone / debit card) isn't how they'd originally designed their business model, but that they discovered that they weren't able to pull off their original plan.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmendrik View Post
I messaged customer service - they have yet to respond, several hours later.
Their customer service is terrible. Weeks later, maybe a couple of months by now, they still have not gotten back to me. As well, we have a minor issue with the wife's account and have sent them a message twice over the past three weeks or so, and nada. If anyone ever hears from them, I'd like to know how you got a response.

Otherwise, it works okay.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM

App needed an update, so I go to update it, and I get "this application is not compatable with your device"

That makes all of zero sense, so I google around - apparently they're blocking updates for rooted phones. I'm guessing that's some sort of misguided attempt at fraud prevention, but certainly annoying to the rather significant minority of people with rooted phones.

You can still manually install the updated APKs, though, so it doesn't actually prevent anything. Just extra hassle.

Also, they've apparently changed the rules to only seeing each movie once - I was under the impression that that rule was always part of the deal, so I've never tried to do that. A lot of people on reddit are super pissed about it though, cancelling their memberships and throwing tantrums. I guess they'll go back to paying $50 a month for movies just to show what a bad deal moviepass is now due to that rule.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Movie Pass is running out of money so it's probably not worth worrying about for too much longer anyway.

https://slate.com/business/2018/05/m...-on-money.html

Quote:
App needed an update, so I go to update it, and I get "this application is not compatable with your device"

That makes all of zero sense, so I google around - apparently they're blocking updates for rooted phones. I'm guessing that's some sort of misguided attempt at fraud prevention, but certainly annoying to the rather significant minority of people with rooted phones.

You can still manually install the updated APKs, though, so it doesn't actually prevent anything. Just extra hassle.

Also, they've apparently changed the rules to only seeing each movie once - I was under the impression that that rule was always part of the deal, so I've never tried to do that. A lot of people on reddit are super pissed about it though, cancelling their memberships and throwing tantrums. I guess they'll go back to paying $50 a month for movies just to show what a bad deal moviepass is now due to that rule.
People were abusing the privilege to see unlimited movies by giving tickets to friends. If you can only see a movie once, users have to forgo their chance to see the movie in order to give the ticket away.

Thanks for the information about rooted phones. I keep forgetting to join. Now I won't bother since it apparently won't work right on my phone anyway.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

They briefly changed the rule so you could only see four movies each month.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Only for new sign ups - old accounts weren't affected - but yeah they reversed that.

I've been wondering how long this would last. I'm curious to see what the effects will be when it fails. I suspect a lot of those people who got used to seeing movies for $10/mo will not be happy about going back to seeing movies for $10+ each, and movie viewership will plummet substantially. Which is what AMC feared and why they've been fighting moviepass.

The theaters will probably have to scramble to come up with their own plans to try to fill that deficit. It certainly won't be as generous as moviepass. I'm expecting something like 4 movies a month for $20, maybe with some token discount on concessions, that only works for their chain. Perhaps with limitatons like not being able to see new movies on opening weekend or restricting the number of prime time showings.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Cinemark already introduced their version of Moviepass. It's called the Cinemark Movie Club and costs $8.99 per month. For that you get one ticket for free and any subsequent tickets also cost $8.99. There is a supplement for premium movies (3D, XD, etc.) but there's no charge for buying tickets in advance on the website (while there is a $1.50 "convenience fee" if you're not a member). My local multiplex is Cinemark so I joined this service.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
The MoviePass site & app are completely swamped right now but I found this cached link on Reddit that will show you what theaters in your zip code accept MoviePass: https://go2cinema.com/moviepass-cinemas/

The requested URL was not found on this server.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
I suspect a lot of those people who got used to seeing movies for $10/mo will not be happy about going back to seeing movies for $10+ each, and movie viewership will plummet substantially.
Well, movie viewership for MoviePass subscribers might well decline, but I strongly suspect that, even with MoviePass's growth in its subscriber base once they lowered their price last year, their subscribers are still a very small minority of the overall U.S. moviegoing market.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Their membership is around 3m from what I've read, which, while a small portion of the population as a whole, probably encompasses the vast majority of people with the highest rate of movie viewership. Anecdotally I saw in a reddit thread that someone in a movie theater estimated that half their customers were moviepass, but I don't have any data on that. But it's likely that moviepass subscribers have many times the movie seeing rate of the average person. It'll be enough to make a dent.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Well, movie viewership for MoviePass subscribers might well decline, but I strongly suspect that, even with MoviePass's growth in its subscriber base once they lowered their price last year, their subscribers are still a very small minority of the overall U.S. moviegoing market.
Just because I was curious if I could find info on how big their membership base is (because it doesn't look like they're willing to come out and say it):

This Variety article from March quotes MoviePass's CEO claiming that they would have 5 million subscribers by the end of 2018, and account for 20% of U.S. ticket sales.

This Business Insider article from today (behind a paywall) indicates that MoviePass currently claims to account for 6% of U.S. ticket sales. Assuming that the members-to-ticket-sales proportion for what they had been projecting for year-end holds, that 6% (if accurate) suggests a current membership base of about 1.5 million members.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-09-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Their membership is around 3m from what I've read, which, while a small portion of the population as a whole, probably encompasses the vast majority of people with the highest rate of movie viewership.
It definitely makes sense to me that MoviePass members are more frequent viewers than the general population; whether or not their members are the vast majority of frequent movie viewers is much harder to tease out.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Well it would just make sense for anyone who's in the top bracket of the movie viewing public to have moviepass, since it would be extremely cost effective for them. It seems unlikely as cinephiles they'd be unaware of it.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Well it would just make sense for anyone who's in the top bracket of the movie viewing public to have moviepass, since it would be extremely cost effective for them. It seems unlikely as cinephiles they'd be unaware of it.
If we're looking at it purely from a cost-per-movie-viewed perspective, I'd agree.

As we beat to death in this thread a few months ago, some of the limitations with MoviePass (must have a smartphone, must have a separate account and debit card for each person, can't reserve seats at theaters that offer reserved seats) may well be reasons why it's not a no-brainer for all frequent movie viewers.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-09-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

They've started now requiring some accounts to take a photo of the ticket and then upload it. They require it for my account but not the wife's. I took a photo but could not upload it. There was a message saying there were some technical problems, so just hold onto the ticket for now.

The app stopped working on the wife's phone, so we logged into her account on my phone to be met with a warning that if the wife was changing devices, she would be required to use only this new device alone and no other for the next 30 days. That's okay with us since we always see movies together and never separately. But they sure are coming up with all these niggling little rules.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 PM

The picture thing is a minor pain in the ass, but the rules are to stop abuse. Ultimately it's on the consumer for not being happy enough to take this (too good) deal, and trying to exploit it to the max.

The one account/one device thing prevents people from sharing their credentials with friends who can then see movies on their subscription. The ticket thing is to ensure that people are actually buying a ticket to the showing they claim instead of trying to get around the one viewing rule. I don't think they'd saddle people with those restrictions if there wasn't a significant amount of abuse going on, so that's on the consumer.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Yes, I figured it was to stop abuse. I just hope they don't cancel my account because their crappy system won't accept the photo.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
The requested URL was not found on this server.
You realize that post was from August of last year, right?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Elephant Whisperer

We saw the Avengers movie yesterday, and this time the app worked. It took a photo of the ticket and uploaded it okay. Yes, a minor hassle but still worth it. Right after we bought our tickets, the wife got an e-mail from Movie Pass saying now she'll have to start uploading copies of her ticket too, starting next time. So now both of us have to.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

In NYC (particularly in Manhattan), it's really a godsend. Saw RBG last night, at a theater where adult tickets are $18 each. My sister & I were very happy to only have to pay for 1 ticket--I used the Moviepass card for me, and a regular card to pay for her. I mean, cripes, that's practically 2 months' worth of the subscription fee right there, even if I don't see another film this month.

RBG was awesome, btw.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I just found out that my Movie Pass won’t let me see Black Panther a second time. “You’ve already seen this movie,” it says. I don’t recall this restriction before. Is it new or did I just never notice it?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM

It's fairly new, yeah.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-16-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I just found out that my Movie Pass won’t let me see Black Panther a second time. “You’ve already seen this movie,” it says. I don’t recall this restriction before. Is it new or did I just never notice it?
It used to be standard, then when the price dropped to $9.95 in August that restriction was lifted. When Avengers opened, the one-time viewing of a film returned.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choie View Post
In NYC (particularly in Manhattan), it's really a godsend. Saw RBG last night, at a theater where adult tickets are $18 each. My sister & I were very happy to only have to pay for 1 ticket--I used the Moviepass card for me, and a regular card to pay for her. I mean, cripes, that's practically 2 months' worth of the subscription fee right there, even if I don't see another film this month.
NYC here as well. I estimate I've saved about $1500 () over the past three years with MoviePass.

I liked it better when it was a niche thing, though. Their attempt to appeal to the masses has resulted in starting a war with AMC and now MoviePass has blocked some of the flagship AMC locations from the app.

Still worth it, tho.