Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPWombat View Post
I particularly enjoyed the footage of Aziraphale dancing the gavotte.
Oh god, that was hilarious.
  #52  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,722
They've said in interviews that the parts that everyone assumes Pratchett wrote were actually Gaiman, and vice-versa. So who knows which part was whose.
  #53  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,529
Death from the four horsemen more resembled Pratchett's Death than Gaiman's Death. So presumably Gaiman wrote that bit.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 06-04-2019 at 10:31 AM.
  #54  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:40 AM
MacTech is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 6,365
The thing I've always loved about the book, and it comes across equally well in the miniseries, is how Crowley was written to be far more *MORAL* than Aziraphale, it seems that A was quite content to follow "The Plans" whatever they might be, because he felt he was on the side of "good/righteous", wheras Crowley had no problems breaking the rules if it benefitted Humanity, he seemed to be far more sympathetic to Humans and the Human Condition than A

no he wasn't above the occasional "prank" (the ducks, the office "Team Building" episode), and he was more than happy to let Humanity doom *themselves* (the M25/tying up the cell network) but those required willing participation of humans (in the book, he was also impressed with how Humanity improved contracts/red tape, sending samples to Hell with a post-it attached simply saying "learn, guys"

it seemed the only real rulebreaking A did was giving his Flaming Sword to Adam and Eve to help them fend off the wild animals, after that, he seemed more than content to sit back and let the Plan go forward, until they realized it would destroy Humanity, only then did he start to consider undermining the Plan

it seems that Crowley was basically on the side of Humanity from the off...
__________________
Freakazoid> dumb, Dumb, DUMB!, NEVER tell the villain how to trap you in a cage!
Gutierrez> You probably shouldn't have helped us build it either...
F!> I know, DUMB!
  #55  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:52 AM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending Elbow View Post
The only thing I didn't like was the change to Adam's transformation from wrold destroyer to Armageddon stopper. He had already forced his friends to walk and stay where he wanted, disappeared their mouths and forced them to smile - had already taken away their free will. And then he changed his mind, sort of stopped controlling them, and had a breakdown when his friends and dog left. Why did he suddenly stop controlling them?

In the book it was a bit clearer to me:
[SPOILER]
Haven't seen the adaptation. Loved the book.

The thing I most loved about the book is exactly that:

SPOILER:
Armageddon is prevented because the Antichrist fell in love with a specific place.
  #56  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,925
I found it interesting that "Crowley" was pronounced almost "crawley", because snake. I never got that-- I always pronounced it like the character on Supernatural.
  #57  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I found it interesting that "Crowley" was pronounced almost "crawley", because snake. I never got that-- I always pronounced it like the character on Supernatural.
He was named "Crawley" to begin with. He changed it to "Crowley" later. Some of his fellow demons persisted in using the old name though.
  #58  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
The thing I've always loved about the book, and it comes across equally well in the miniseries, is how Crowley was written to be far more *MORAL* than Aziraphale, it seems that A was quite content to follow "The Plans" whatever they might be, because he felt he was on the side of "good/righteous", wheras Crowley had no problems breaking the rules if it benefitted Humanity, he seemed to be far more sympathetic to Humans and the Human Condition than A

no he wasn't above the occasional "prank" (the ducks, the office "Team Building" episode), and he was more than happy to let Humanity doom *themselves* (the M25/tying up the cell network) but those required willing participation of humans (in the book, he was also impressed with how Humanity improved contracts/red tape, sending samples to Hell with a post-it attached simply saying "learn, guys"

it seemed the only real rulebreaking A did was giving his Flaming Sword to Adam and Eve to help them fend off the wild animals, after that, he seemed more than content to sit back and let the Plan go forward, until they realized it would destroy Humanity, only then did he start to consider undermining the Plan

it seems that Crowley was basically on the side of Humanity from the off...
Crowley comes across as Chaotic Neutral (with Evil tendencies, particularly toward his houseplants) during the story. He does various evil things mostly because that's his job and because he seems to enjoy the challenge and fun of it rather than out of sheer malevolence. Aziraphale is Lawful Good but occasionally edges into Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good due to The Arrangement (although whether breaking one rule to honour a different agreement makes you less Lawful is debatable) and occasionally to get a good table somewhere. By the end he's definitely largely Neutral Good, having discovered that Lawfulness is not all it's cracked up to be.
  #59  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
(although whether breaking one rule to honour a different agreement makes you less Lawful is debatable)

Disregarding established rules to follow one's moral compass is pretty much the textbook definition of Chaotic.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #60  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
They've said in interviews that the parts that everyone assumes Pratchett wrote were actually Gaiman, and vice-versa. So who knows which part was whose.
I assume Pratchett was behind Funny Footnotes, which were not evident in the adaptation. He's not the only footnote-snarker, but it is something he does A LOT and I can't remember them clearly from the Gaiman I've read.

I also think he did the joke about all tapes in cars eventually becoming Best of Queen because he made that joke in one of his other books. But I guess he could have liked it so much if Gaiman wrote it that he stole it and reused it.

But yeah, other than those two things and Death's overall Death-ness, I can't tell who wrote what. Generally feel the same when I read The Talisman, my other favorite author collaboration.
  #61  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Disregarding established rules to follow one's moral compass is pretty much the textbook definition of Chaotic.
Worrying less about doing good in the "right" way and being more focused on just doing good is the textbook definition of Neutral Good.
  #62  
Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Mama Zappa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Just finished. Liked it overall, but I thought the voiceover was kind of kludgy. And if they insisted on having it, it should have been Gaiman.
I've been annoyed with several aspects.

Frances McDorman's narration is fine, but in several spots she pronounces things in a more British way. I can't recall any specific examples. Her parents were Canadian, but she was born and raised in the US, so it's a puzzlement.

Mrs. Downing in labor also annoyed me with a Britishism. Her husband was meeting with the President, and she shrieks "You're MEANT TO BE HERE WITH ME!!!". An American would have said "supposed to", not "meant to".

I'm only up to episode 4, so I can't tell if it gets much better, but Adam comes off as reading from a script, versus actually *being* Adam. His voice has almost no inflection, even when he's supposed to be excited.

Death's voice..... no. Just no. A gruff, angry-sounding man. Should have been deep, reverberating - maybe like he was speaking from inside a metal chamber or something.

Tennant and Sheen together as Crowley and Azirophale, though..... hooooooboy, they NAILED it. Possibly the most perfect casting I've ever seen.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 06-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
  #63  
Old 06-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Celidin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I also think he did the joke about all tapes in cars eventually becoming Best of Queen because he made that joke in one of his other books.
I love how that was handled in this. It was never referred to, but almost every time Crowley was driving Queen was on the radio.

And in Episode 4 or 5, we see him put in a Mozart CD and have nice classical music start playing. Only to have a CUT to further down the road, and some Queen blaring instead. It made me laugh out loud!



I purposely didn't re-read the book ahead of time either (which worked out since I can't find my copy), and I was very happy with the adaptation. Props to everyone involved.

And did anyone else get the feeling there was a mild set up for a second season/series of it? Maybe based on some of Gaiman/Pratchett's un-finished ideas for the sequel?
  #64  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidin View Post
And did anyone else get the feeling there was a mild set up for a second season/series of it? Maybe based on some of Gaiman/Pratchett's un-finished ideas for the sequel?
Not really, and I follow Gaiman on Twitter where he has repeatedly stated that this is just the one adaptation and no follow up coming.
  #65  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:32 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51,227
Neil is being coy. He has also stated in interviews that there was substantial material from a sequel and some of it got folded into this adaptation. I'm quite sure that if Amazon waves enough money at him, he'll get to writing a sequel most riki-tik.
  #66  
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I've been annoyed with several aspects.
Speaking of Americanisms/Britishisms said by the wrong nationality character, the whole "miles per hour" thing took me out of it for a solid 30 seconds.

I forget the episode, but Crowley is driving and A says something about going 90 miles an hour, which pulled me out of the show for a bit because I was unaware (until googling just now) that Britain actually uses miles per hour, not kilometers. Learned my something new for the day!
  #67  
Old 06-08-2019, 01:41 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Mrs. Downing in labor also annoyed me with a Britishism. Her husband was meeting with the President, and she shrieks "You're MEANT TO BE HERE WITH ME!!!". An American would have said "supposed to", not "meant to".
Not necessarily, since she's been living in the UK. People "catch" accents and expressions. I had an American accent before I ever lived in the US, of course even more of it after living there; after two years in Scotland, now I sound American to the Scottish, Scottish to the Americans, and "where is that accent from? You don't sound Spanish" to other people.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 06-08-2019 at 01:43 AM.
  #68  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Speaking of Americanisms/Britishisms said by the wrong nationality character, the whole "miles per hour" thing took me out of it for a solid 30 seconds.

I forget the episode, but Crowley is driving and A says something about going 90 miles an hour, which pulled me out of the show for a bit because I was unaware (until googling just now) that Britain actually uses miles per hour, not kilometers. Learned my something new for the day!
Yes, Britain is weird like this - distance is measured in kilometres but speed in MPH.
  #69  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
Just finished watching the series. Overall: I found it quite entertaining.

My cousin who is a fan of the book was disappointed in the series. I'm glad I didn't read the book first.

Specific thoughts:

1. The imagery and style of this show was just fantastic and very engaging and entertaining. Loved the opening sequence, and the bookshop, especially. But everything looked great.

2. I love both Michael Sheen and David Tennant and they delivered engaging performances. Tennant looked like a rock star. Is he really as skinny as Mick Jagger? However, I find myself wishing again that they would be allowed to use their natural Welsh and Scottish accents (respectively). I love their natural voices and rarely get to hear them. (Tennant does his own Scottish as the narrator of "Twenty Twelve" and "W1A.)

3. What the heck accent was Michael McKean supposed to be doing? It sounded like some random combination of accents, mostly Scottish and Northern England. Is it a recognizably real accent?

4. Soo many great cast choices--Jon Hamm, Frances McDormand, Jack Whitehall, Miranda Richardson, Nick Offerman, Josie Lawrence, Derek Jacobi ... But I was not so crazy about the actor who played Adam Young--not even as good as the other child actors in the scenes with him. And what a wast of a Brian Cox. That could have been anyone with that costume and voice. Also, I didn't recognize Benedict Cumberbatch.

5. Overall, the plot was predictably "clever." It was okay, not mind-blowing. Few surprises. Predictably Douglas-Adamsish irony-based humor.
SPOILER:
The end twist catch me off guard though. It seemed like a good setup for a sequel if the demon and the angel had switched sides. But the switch was a good ending.


6. I appreciate the brevity of six episodes.

7. Nice Easter egg of the guard (with the noticeably fake American accent) reading "American Gods" at his post.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 06-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
  #70  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I found it interesting that "Crowley" was pronounced almost "crawley", because snake. I never got that-- I always pronounced it like the character on Supernatural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
He was named "Crawley" to begin with. He changed it to "Crowley" later. Some of his fellow demons persisted in using the old name though.
Yes, beginning as "Crawly," pronounced like "crawl" (-y) and changed to "Crowley," pronounced like "crow" (-ly), the bird. Had I read the book, I probably would have thought of "Crowley" as being pronounced like "now" or "wow" (-ly).
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
  #71  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
3. What the heck accent was Michael McKean supposed to be doing? It sounded like some random combination of accents, mostly Scottish and Northern England. Is it a recognizably real accent?
It helps if you've read the description in the book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Omens
Mr. Shadwell's accent was unplaceable. It careered around Britain like a milk race. Here a mad Welsh drill sergeant, there a High Kirk elder who'd just seen someone doing something on a Sunday, somewhere between them a dour Daleland shepherd, or bitter Somerset miser. It didn't matter where the accent went; it didn't get any nicer.
I think McKean was going with "deranged, vaguely Scottish Speaker's Corner orator" for the most part, but weirdly I think he ended up as close to the book description one can get without going over-the-top about it.
  #72  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
It helps if you've read the description in the book:



I think McKean was going with "deranged, vaguely Scottish Speaker's Corner orator" for the most part, but weirdly I think he ended up as close to the book description one can get without going over-the-top about it.
Thats pretty impressive then.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
  #73  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Maus Magill is offline
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 7,288
Mrs Magill and I finished it up last night. We both enjoyed it immensely. A couple of observations:
  • After hearing Christopher Lee as Death, not even the great Brian Cox can compare.
  • I missed the Additional Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but they would have broken the flow leading up to the climax.
  • I bet Hastor does smell like poo.
  • Holy Moley - Michael Sheen. This is probably the first time a twist had been spoiled for me by an actor doing a phenomenal job. Sheen was Crowley imitating Aziraphale.
  #74  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Poysyn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,302
What books are in the shop when it is resurrected? The ones that Aziraphale says Those are new?
  #75  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 PM
scr4 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 15,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
What books are in the shop when it is resurrected? The ones that Aziraphale says Those are new?
They are the "William" series by Richmal Crompton which was apparently an inspiration for this story.
  #76  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Poysyn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
they are the "william" series by richmal crompton which was apparently an inspiration for this story.
thank you!
  #77  
Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Not necessarily, since she's been living in the UK.
Not necessarily, since the US has a bunch of accents. I noticed it, but wasn't bothered as I would've probably have said the same. In my head a heavily emphasized "MEANT" said with a lofty scrinch of the nose brings with it images of things more important than mere politics, like wedding vows. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
2. I love both Michael Sheen and David Tennant and they delivered engaging performances. Tennant looked like a rock star. Is he really as skinny as Mick Jagger?
Yes.

Quote:
3. What the heck accent was Michael McKean supposed to be doing?
Squatney.
  #78  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 26,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Tennant looked like a rock star.
Me to the missus: "He walks like Jim Morrison making fun of Mick Jagger."
  #79  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Me to the missus: "He walks like Jim Morrison making fun of Mick Jagger."
Excellent!
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
  #80  
Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Charlie Tan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Scania
Posts: 4,986
I'm sorry to barge in and being contrarian to this love fest, but I turned it off halfway through episode one, as I did with American Gods.


And I'm on my second copy of Good Omens, having read and re-read it so many times.

I'm not going to list all my gripes*, because that would bring this close to a thread shit, but I really, really think Gaiman should have been kept away from any part of the production, as he should've been with AG. He's too close to the source material and even though I think he's a fantastic writer, as for screen writing, not so much.

The series is way too close to the book and that hampers it in a serious way.




* Apart from this: I love Tennant, but when I saw the first stills from production, I knew we were going to be treated to some serious scenery chewing. Crowley is much, much more subtle than what Tennant brought to the table. Again, I blame Gaiman, as Tennant can do subtle

Last edited by Charlie Tan; 06-15-2019 at 01:11 PM.
  #81  
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tan View Post
I'm not going to list all my gripes*, because that would bring this close to a thread shit
No it wouldn't (IMHO). This thread is for all opinions and comments, not just positive ones, so you should feel free to give reasons why you did or didn't like it.

However, you haven't said anything at all about what you thought was wrong about it. You only speculated as to why what you thought was wrong turned out that way. (And it sounds to me like maybe you went into it prepared to dislike it.)
  #82  
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tan View Post

I'm not going to list all my gripes*, because that would bring this close to a thread shit,
Speaking for myself, I wouldnt consider that a thread shit, in any thread about an artistic work. Im interested in reading your gripes, if youre interested in posting them.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
  #83  
Old 06-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,722
[Moderating]
The way I see it, a threadshit is a comment that implies that the thread shouldn't even exist at all. This is a thread for discussing Amazon's version of Good Omens, and people's opinions of it. Someone saying that they didn't like it, and explaining their reasons why, is an example of that sort of discussion. It is therefore appropriate material for this thread. An example of a threadshit would be something like "Why would anyone even watch that? TV is stupid, and everyone knows that angels aren't real.".
  #84  
Old 06-15-2019, 03:16 PM
blondebear is offline
Shouting Grasshopper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Meridian/280
Posts: 13,984
Well, I'm not going to threadshit, because I enjoyed the series quite a bit. I haven't read the book. As someone else mentioned, the show had a very "Hitchiker's Guide" vibe to it which suited the material perfectly.
  #85  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Charlie Tan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Scania
Posts: 4,986
OK, then.


The book relies heavily on the narration. Since it must be considered en ensemble piece, with so many different time periods, subplots and characters, the one unifying thing is in fact the narrator, which most certainly is not God. So that's strike one.

And the plot line in the book in the book obviously hinges on quite a lot of exposition. The two most prominent Horsemen (War and Famine) get quite a lot of back story, at least as compared to Death and Pollution. I realize that giving all that back story for all the principal players would have made for a very clunky and un-watchable tv-series. Which is why it bugs me that there still is so much exposition and VO narration. It still makes it clunky, only less so. There's simply too much telling and not enough showing.
It also follows the structure of the book very closely (as did AG), a structure which made sense for that medium, but not really for a tv series.

I think it would've benefited a lot from having had a screenwriter breaking it down into its components and then stitched them back together as a tv-series. As it now stands (and I've watched more of it), all the parts are there. Some are excellent, some additions are even brilliant ("I'm the fucking Archangel Gabriel"), but sadly, the sum of the parts are a far cry from what might've been.


Now, if I knew how, I'd be a well paid script doctor in Hollywood, so I shan't try to come up with the solutions. I'm just a bit sad that it really felt like a filmed novel and not as tv series.
  #86  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:37 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,272
There were times I found Tennant's performance a little too reminiscent of Bill Nighy in"Love Actually" but he definitely did a great job. Especially that scene with the plants. Jumpin' Jehoshaphat that was creepy.

I loved the series, and laughed my arse off. Now I can't wait to read the book.
  #87  
Old 06-15-2019, 06:25 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51,227
[That guy mode] The book is better. [/That guy mode]
  #88  
Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,925
I find it odd that you think American Gods follows too close to the book when the book and series are so different that they barely can be called the same thing.
  #89  
Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,613
I'm finding I just may not be all that fond of Neil Gaiman's stuff.
  #90  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 PM
amarinth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Emerald City, WA, USA
Posts: 9,819
I kind of agree with Charlie Tan -
It was fun. I enjoyed it. But I'm not sure it was good. (I'm not saying it was bad) There's a lot of stuff that was left in because it was funny on paper, but not necessarily funny on screen, and I wonder if it couldn't have been done better by making better use of tv/film (for example, the baby switch. There was a big hallway with a bunch of doors. I would have preferred babies in carts and harried nuns everywhere. Not a voiceover about three card monte and green felt that was more interesting than the actual baby swap.) I'm also not sure about the narration in general.

Still enjoyed it. But I wonder what it could have been like with someone who was more prepared to "kill their darlings."

Also -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
- The one big negative: Anathema. I can only assume that Adria Arjona is part-owner of the production company or Neil Gaiman's girlfriend or some influential person's client who wanted more exposure for her
I'm not sure it was bad casting, but it was odd casting. Also, how did everyone know that she was an American when she spoke without her saying "I'm American." Her accent does not say "American*" to me.

*Note: Americans have all different looks and accents. There is nothing un-American about her accent. However, she does not use one of the accents that I would immediately note as stereotypically from a US city or region.
  #91  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 PM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 24,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
There were times I found Tennant's performance a little too reminiscent of Bill Nighy in"Love Actually" but he definitely did a great job.
Definitely a Bill Nighy impression. More likely from a film called Still Crazy, but generally it was Nighy-ish throughout. I could see Tennant and Nighy playing old and young versions of each other in another film very easily.
  #92  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:43 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
No one can ever be too reminiscent of Bill Nighy.

But as I recall, his character in Still Crazy suffered from significant confidence issues; whereas in Love Actually he was badass throughout.

I might be wrong. It’s been a long time since I saw Still Crazy. Pretty sure it was a videocassette rental. I have the soundtrack on CD somewhere too.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 06-15-2019 at 11:45 PM.
  #93  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,707
Ah, I see Still Crazy is on Amazon Prime. Ill have to watch it again.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
  #94  
Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Charlie Tan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Scania
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I wonder if it couldn't have been done better by making better use of tv/film (for example, the baby switch. There was a big hallway with a bunch of doors. I would have preferred babies in carts and harried nuns everywhere. Not a voiceover about three card monte and green felt that was more interesting than the actual baby swap.)
This is exactly where I hit pause the first time. Not the cards, but when the VO started to explain how the non verbal winks and nods meant different things. It's straight from the text. It was funny to read, but for me it made the flow of the story stall.

Re: American Gods. I only saw the first episode, but to me, it really was paint by the numbers from the text.


Someone upthread suggested that Gaiman himself should've done the VO. I would've been happier with that. He did an excellent job in that bonus episode of Lucifer. Though I think it would have been better if he were to assume the role of storyteller, rather than supreme ineffable being.
  #95  
Old 06-16-2019, 03:40 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 24,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Also, how did everyone know that she was an American when she spoke without her saying "I'm American." Her accent does not say "American*" to me.

*Note: Americans have all different looks and accents. There is nothing un-American about her accent. However, she does not use one of the accents that I would immediately note as stereotypically from a US city or region.
Don't be ridiculous - everyone has an accent. If her's wasn't American, what was it? It certainly wasn't any variety of English accent.
  #96  
Old 06-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tan View Post
the one unifying thing is in fact the narrator, which most certainly is not God
I've never seen the books, but in the show the narrator was god. There was a scene at the beginning of episode 3 where god speaks directly to Azariphile (Where's the flaming sword I gave you?) and it's the same voice: Frances McDormand.

EDIT: I see on IMDb that her role is listed as "Narrator / God", so it's possible they were meant to be two different characters. If so, that was a failure of the tv show because as presented, they were one and the same.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 06-16-2019 at 06:03 AM.
  #97  
Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,716
Wow, all this way and no mention of the ramped up homoromantic subtext between Aziraphale and Crowley? My two teenage yoai-loving daughters we practically screaming at the screen. Especially with Sheen's 'I don't want to like you' routine when he clearly likes Tennat's Crowley.

Also, gutsy casting on some parts. Anathema, Pepper and such being cast in a way that contradicts the book and ignores race overall was good. Heck, Archangel Michael was played by a woman (Doon Mackichan). When it didn't matter, it simply didn't matter.

Also, for you Queen completists out there...In the last episode toward the end in the park? Hyde Park, I believe? Right before A and C are kidnapped and brought to justice? The brass band is playing 'Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon' from Queen's 'A Night at the Opera'. It's a short piece and one of Freddie's odder contributions but it fits the scene well.
  #98  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:07 AM
amarinth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Emerald City, WA, USA
Posts: 9,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Don't be ridiculous - everyone has an accent. If her's wasn't American, what was it? It certainly wasn't any variety of English accent.
At first, I thought it was supposed to be Greek. I couldn't place it at all. I understand the townspeople figuring out "not British" after hearing her. I don't understand how they made the leap to "American."
  #99  
Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 AM
aruvqan is offline
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
At first, I thought it was supposed to be Greek. I couldn't place it at all. I understand the townspeople figuring out "not British" after hearing her. I don't understand how they made the leap to "American."
Well, when Europeans I game with want English as a Second Language advice, I have to ask them US or British English - there are quite a number of ways to tell someone is not British - the first one is slang. Trunk/Boot, Cookie/Biscuit, Biscuit/Scone [more or less] Ass/Arse, Underwear, Tighty Whities, Briefs/Pants, Screw/Bang, Nuts/Barmy, Custom/Bespoke, N^gger rig, afro-engineer, improvise/bodge, the list is pretty much endless. Secondly is how and what they shop for grocerywise. Most brands are different, and where we would go for mayonnaise, a Brit may go for salad dressing, instead of A1 or some form of BBQ sauce, a Brit would probably ask for HP or brown sauce, we would ask for jam or jelly instead of preserves or conserves and I don't think there are many of us who would go for random chutneys either though I adore a thin slice of a good cheddar with a thin slice of a tart apple held together with a smear of Maj Grey's chutney. Thirdly is in the home - we say living room you say lounge, we say come in, you say go through or some variants of that. We offer coffee or soda almost automatically, and want drip coffee, you tend towards tea or instant coffee and use an electric kettle - we tend to use the type of kettle you put on the stove [or hob] and have dinner or supper when you have tea.



Why yes, I can fake being British online as long as I don't have to do the accent, though I can understand light Glaswegian now =)
__________________
"Rammstein might not be the most sophisticated band there is, but who doesn't like the smell of napalm in the evening air"
  #100  
Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,722
Most Americans can't tell the difference between any of the accents of the former Empire, and when presented with any of them, will jump to the conclusion of "British accent". I wouldn't be surprised if Brits similarly jump to the conclusion that any unfamiliar accent must be American.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017