Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
And surely there will be continuity with what the iTunes app does now, the app will just be called something else. I very much doubt that your iPods will be useless bricks next year.
Have you met Apple? This is a insane assumption to make. Apple drops legacy support for things faster than any tech company out there. It's "courage".
Old 06-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The one bad thing about the current iPhoto file system is that all the photos have unrecognizable names that are just assigned numbers. You can't find "img_2175" anywhere, but 45929A57/3D is right there in the directory. The prior editions of iPhoto kept them in folders by date. the structure was 2019>June>June14>img_2175-img_2190 (for example).
I don’t think this is exactly correct.

If I browse my Photos Library, I find that it is organized by Year->Month->Day->ROLL NUMBER -> image name (e.g. - IMG12345.jpg)

The “ROLL NUMBER” is a random-appearing string, but if you open that directory, the images inside of it have ordinary names.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
I don’t think this is exactly correct.

If I browse my Photos Library, I find that it is organized by Year->Month->Day->ROLL NUMBER -> image name (e.g. - IMG12345.jpg)

The “ROLL NUMBER” is a random-appearing string, but if you open that directory, the images inside of it have ordinary names.
I'm going by memory but I do remember it changed.

Opening up individual photos by name isn't as important as being able to open up individual songs in Sound Studio, for example, for editing. I do that a lot.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
It’s trivial to do.
Just select the images you want to export, and choose “File->Export.” You can choose to export the edited or original files. This is EXACTLY what you want to do if you had access to the original files in the Finder - make a copy of the files. If you move the files, you will break Photos. If you don’t mid breaking Photos, then you can find the originals in Photos Library->Originals. You need to right-click on Photos Library and choose “Show Package Contents.”

I strongly recommend that you not mess around in the Photos Library, unless you don’t mind wrecking it. Use the Export feature.

ETA - the images are NOT stored in a “giant file” - they are stored in a hidden directory structure, organized by year.
Yes, I do this all the time. And it drives me nuts. I don't want to have to open iphoto to use my photos. And i wonder if there's any path to move to another system, or to move off the Mac without it stealing all my photos.

To be clear, I have thousands and thousands of photos . There's no way I'm individually moving all of them everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The one bad thing about the current iPhoto file system is that all the photos have unrecognizable names that are just assigned numbers. You can't find "img_2175" anywhere, but 45929A57/3D is right there in the directory. The prior editions of iPhoto kept them in folders by date. the structure was 2019>June>June14>img_2175-img_2190 (for example).

But iPhoto still knows right where they are. I preferred the old way, but I have learned to live with the current version. But this is the kind of thing I was thinking about in my post above.

Current iTunes keeps the content in a logical directory structure. Music>folders with band names>folders with album names> individual song files (in their real names - Hotel California.aiff, for example.) I fear Apple will use the iPhoto style name convention for directories in the new Music or whatever they call it.
Yup. iTunes still has a very human-useable file structure, but I'm afraid they will break that.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Yes, I do this all the time. And it drives me nuts. I don't want to have to open iphoto to use my photos. And i wonder if there's any path to move to another system, or to move off the Mac without it stealing all my photos.

To be clear, I have thousands and thousands of photos . There's no way I'm individually moving all of them everywhere.

Yup. iTunes still has a very human-useable file structure, but I'm afraid they will break that.
I gave you the answer previously.
Your photos are all right there, organized neatly by year, month, day roll number. You can move them anywhere you want. If you want to get rid of Photos (or iPhoto) you can, without touching your images - they are stored in your library, not in the app.

ETA: If you are using iCloud, you need to download the images first.

Last edited by beowulff; 06-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
It's a really poorly written article.

What the writer is talking about is how since iPhone revenue growth has plateaued, services such as Apple Music, Apple TV, etc are new areas of revenue growth.
Which is another way of saying that cell phones have basically reached their maximum market penetration, the Apple/Android split has stabilized, and major phone manufacturers are largely the same these days.

So there's not much growth there, and they're looking for the next market where they can break new ground.

It's an interesting position for Apple to be in; they've spent the last two decades making their money by doing new stuff- iPod, iPhone, , but concentrating on services like Apple Music, Apple TV, etc... seems kind of like trying to squeeze more out of existing products rather than pioneering a new device/service/etc...

Very much not their MO of the last 20 years.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Okay, someone here invent Something Never Before Even Thought Of. Then get bought out by Apple. Then we'll say "Hey, we used to know that guy!"
Old 06-03-2019, 05:06 PM

So, if I want to copy them to, I dunno, an external backup drive, en mass, how do I do that? Because you said to use the file export function, but that doesn't work for large numbers of photos. I'm not being snarky, I don't understand the instructions you offered.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
So, if I want to copy them to, I dunno, an external backup drive, en mass, how do I do that? Because you said to use the file export function, but that doesn't work for large numbers of photos. I'm not being snarky, I don't understand the instructions you offered.
Find your Photos (or iPhoto) library. It should be in your "Pictures" folder.
Right-click on it, choose "Show Package Contents." (I find it helpful to be in multi-column view, but it works in any view).
Find the "Originals" or "Masters" folder, and drag it anywhere you want.
If you drag it to another volume (drive), it will copy it.
If you drag it to somewhere on the same volume, it will move it, and you will break your iPhoto (or Photos) library. If you don't care about that, just move it where you want it.
You will find all your original images filed neatly in that directory.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Open Photos > in the sidebar click "Photos" > in the menubar click "Edit," then click "Select All" > in the menubar click "File" then go to "Export" and click "Export Unmodified Original for XXX Items..."

Depending on how many photos there are and how fast your machine is, it might take 30 seconds or more.

In the dialog box that then appears, click "Export" then choose the location in which to save the photos and click "Export Originals."

eta- I guess my way is just another way to do it

Last edited by zbuzz; 06-03-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Thank you. That does change the way I feel about Apple's Photos. But I'll still keep my pics organized manually, and open them in Preview to, well, preview them. That does have some handy color correction/contrast/sharpness tools (which some Mac users don't realize), but I keep using Photoshop* due to its Industrial-Strength Pixel Pushin'™.

*Want to talk "Doing things manually"? I'm using Adobe CS6... NOT paying Adobe every month to let me borrow "their" Creative Cloud apps.

Last edited by digs; 06-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 PM

macOS Catalina is where iTunes splits into 3 apps, and there's now some real information.

https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/features/

Quote:
Media Syncing
All three services — Apple TV, Apple Music, and Apple Podcasts — sync your content through the cloud across your devices. Or sync it from each of the apps if you prefer using a cable.

Back up, update, and restore through the Finder
Each time you connect a device, you can find it in the Finder sidebar. From there you can back up, update, and restore your device.
So, much as I hate to dampen the horror and outrage, it turns out that your media devices are not obsolete, you are not forced to use iCloud, and my "insane" assumption that no functionality has been lost may be correct. Of course, in order for all this to work seamlessly you will need a quick outpatient operation to install the new iControl device that sits under your skin just behind your right ear. It looked pretty small in the presentation, I think it will be barely noticeable.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Thank you very much, Beowulff and zbuzz
Old 06-03-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Holy crap, people!
Stop panicking and read the damn article!
Apple is splitting iTunes into three apps, something they should have done a decade ago. You are not going to lose any music!

So, sort of like it is already on your iPhone, with one app for Music, one app for TV/movies, one app for podcasts.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I don't know where my photos are. Now, whenever I want to edit a photo with Photoshop elements, say, I need to use "photos" to copy it to a known place on my directory. This happened to me with some some upgrade, without warning me my photos would all be hidden. If you know a way of unhiding them, I'd be delighted.

Just drag the ones you want to the desktop. Viola!—a copy.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Just drag the ones you want to the desktop. Viola!—a copy.
Uh.... You may have missed several details.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Is there any information available regarding the number of people using legacy i-devices? I seem to remember reading some speculation months back when the iTunes shutdown rumblings started that Apple would have to do something to acomodate what is thought to be a significant number of people with older devices. I have a 5th gen iPod that I still use every day at work (and sometimes in a vehicle, depending on what I'm driving that day). The battery life is severely degraded at this point, but the iPod otherwise works fine aside from the occasional hang when listening to long podcasts. Having to replace the iPod will involve upgrading a car stereo, but that's about it...I've copied my entire music library over to my phone for travel purposes, and I have no problem connecting it to a modern car stereo via Bluetooth. I got into the iTunes game relatively late, so I only have about 100 songs or so that were purchased in Apple's proprietary format; it didn't take me too long to convert those.
You can get an iPod battery replaced; it's a fairly inexpensive fix and there's batteries available on ebay and etc. I've replaced the battery in my ancient iPhone and even more ancient iPod over the last couple of years. You can find a local provider or you can even do it yourself or get a technically inclined friend to replace it for you. The tools to pry out the old battery and install the new one are provided along with the battery itself. I've been told you will also need a hair dryer to melt the glue used to affix the batteries in place.
Apple is generally no help at all with legacy devices but there are alternatives. I am blessed that I have a friend who is super great at all this stuff; he took care of everything for me and my old stuff still lives. When you shop for batteries be sure you're getting the correct one for your device, there's a gazillion different ones out there. Hope this helps.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 06-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Whatever they do probably won't be worse than iTunes. I've been through 2 iPods and had to live with that mess. I was very happy to move all my music to a 64GB SDcard in my phone.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 PM

I loved iTunes when it first came out, so much that it was the primary reason I bought Apple stock when it was like $5. (Sold it at $30. Argh!) However, it's become unnecessarily confusing. So I'm glad that they're splitting the features into separate apps.

I hope the new music app will let me purchase music from my phone again. Now whenever I search for something on my phone, it wants me to buy Apple Music for $9.99/month. When I decline to do that, it ends the search. You can still purchase music the old fashioned way, but they've made it very difficult.

I get that streaming music might be appealing to youngsters, but I have no interest in paying $120/year to listen to music that I've paid thousands of dollars to purchase, one song or album at a time.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
I hope the new music app will let me purchase music from my phone again. Now whenever I search for something on my phone, it wants me to buy Apple Music for $9.99/month. When I decline to do that, it ends the search.
It sounds like you're doing your searches in the Music app (which will end with asking you to join Apple Music), not the iTunes Store app itself. You can still purchase individual songs when searching the iTunes Store app.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Hope this helps.
It does...thank you! I tend to get a little intimidated by electronics when I can't see the screws or clips that hold it together.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I hope the new music app will let me purchase music from my phone again. Now whenever I search for something on my phone, it wants me to buy Apple Music for $9.99/month. When I decline to do that, it ends the search. You can still purchase music the old fashioned way, but they've made it very difficult.

I get that streaming music might be appealing to youngsters, but I have no interest in paying $120/year to listen to music that I've paid thousands of dollars to purchase, one song or album at a time.

I'm neither a "youngster" nor an oldster (I'm in my forties), but for me it's simple math. I listen to not only thousands (probably tens of thousands) of older tracks, but hundreds of new ones each year. $120 is far less than I'd pay to buy all of them.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Have you met Apple? This is a insane assumption to make. Apple drops legacy support for things faster than any tech company out there. It's "courage".
Or replaces it with a more modern watered-down application that looks suspiciously like a mobile app and has traded many of the features we like for new and improved social media enhancements.
I was stung by this with Aperture/Photos. Before Photos, there were two photos applications: iPhoto and Aperture. Aperture was a pro app, a direct competitor to Lightroom; it was a much better app than Lightroom IMHO. Indeed, Lightroom was modeled after Aperture.

I was a diehard Aperture user, relying on it to manage photo shoots of hundreds of shots, raw editing, using plugins such as SilverFX for B&W, doing color management, and so on. It was a perfect app for pro and semi-pro users.
Then Apple said it was discontinuing Aperture, "but we have an amazing new Photos app to replace it!!!!111!"
All of the finesse and pro features of Aperture are gone. Now you can go in and "like" a photo, but can't even do something as simple as give them star ratings to assist in culling. I ended up moving to Lightroom.

Ugh.
[/rant]

iTunes is a bloated mess that had far too many things packed into it.
How do you explain to your mom why she needs to use an app called "iTunes" to manage an iPhone or iPad even if she don't have any music? Thankfully that dependency has faded in recent years, but the app is still bloated.

I'm glad they are splitting it apart. I just hope they don't do the Aperture/Photos trick with folks.

Last edited by minor7flat5; 06-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
I just hope they don't do the Aperture/Photos trick with folks.
I'm nearly sure they will.

I'm considering disconnecting my iTunes computer from the internet, lest Apple force an unasked for and unwanted update on me. Or another album I don't want, thank you very much not Mr Bono.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Will existing installations quit working? Could users still use it to back up their iPhones locally?

A couple of years back, I sprung for the fee for iTunes Match - because I had a fair bit of music purchased from Apple that had DRM on it, and this would strip the DRM.

Some of my music never converted, for some reason. Nothing I listen to all that often, but I wonder if I'll be able to get to them if iTunes goes away.

My beef with iTunes is that they keep reorganizing it and making it harder to use. Like I'd attach my iPod (an aging Touch) and try to change the settings for which podcasts etc. I wanted to sync, and simply clicking on the device icon did nothing (there was some other, non-obvious way to do it). And their look-and-feel took a definite turn for the worse.

That said, it was frankly nice to have everything in one app. Now, I presume I'd have to do all 3 tasks separately or something.

Interestingly, they have an Apple Music app for Android (I don't have an iPhone). Supposedly it sucks.

Oh, and I want a decent podcasting app for Android. The ones I've found have such colossally non-intuitive interfaces that I can't find anything.

So will Amazon be the only place where you can buy single tracks any more?

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 06-07-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I'm neither a "youngster" nor an oldster (I'm in my forties), but for me it's simple math. I listen to not only thousands (probably tens of thousands) of older tracks, but hundreds of new ones each year. $120 is far less than I'd pay to buy all of them.
BUT: if you don't choose to continue doing that, why should you lose access to the ones you've already bought (which is something I keep worrying about).

This bears out my longstanding preference for having physical media versus "buying" something stored on the cloud. The vendor can take it away or change the terms. I doubt I've spent as much as 100 dollars on single-song purchases in the 14 years I've been using an iPod. I'd rather buy the CD and rip it into iTunes (and then toss the CD in a large trunkful of them in the cellar; unlike one former coworker I do NOT give it away). Similarly with ebooks.... let's just say I have them backed up in a way that Amazon and B&N can't take away from me.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa
I hope the new music app will let me purchase music from my phone again. Now whenever I search for something on my phone, it wants me to buy Apple Music for $9.99/month. When I decline to do that, it ends the search.
Quote:
BUT: if you don't choose to continue doing that, why should you lose access to the ones you've already bought (which is something I keep worrying about).

This bears out my longstanding preference for having physical media versus "buying" something stored on the cloud. The vendor can take it away or change the terms. I doubt I've spent as much as 100 dollars on single-song purchases in the 14 years I've been using an iPod. I'd rather buy the CD and rip it into iTunes (and then toss the CD in a large trunkful of them in the cellar; unlike one former coworker I do NOT give it away). Similarly with ebooks.... let's just say I have them backed up in a way that Amazon and B&N can't take away from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz
It sounds like you're doing your searches in the Music app (which will end with asking you to join Apple Music), not the iTunes Store app itself. You can still purchase individual songs when searching the iTunes Store app.
The "subscribe for 10 bucks a month" is a pattern that a LOT of software vendors are taking. Quicken is no longer a "buy once, use forever" thing. 1Password strongly pushes you to subscribe to a plan that will charge you 5 bucks a month (or whatever) FOREVER. Supposedly they offer better services for that, like upgrades, and storing your info on their cloud (um, Agilebits, no thank you). In the case of 1Password there's still a way to make a one-time license purchase (you have to figure out how to get it to sync to your other devices on your own; they don't make it easy). I had to do a fair bit of digging to find out how though. In a year or so of owning that license, I'll have spent less than the monthly fee.

Then there was a utility from AVG that scans your PC for things like duplicate files, farkled registry entries etc. I'd happily buy it for 50-75 - but that's NOT an option; I'd have to pay something like 50 a year forever, even if I never upgraded anything.

It's all part of "software as a service". They claim "it's much cheaper to get started, you don't have the big upfront expense" but really, it's a way of guaranteeing a revenue stream forever. I'm stick with it with Quicken, as there's no good competition there. I'm NOT gonna shell that out for that PC utility.

Things like Apple Music subscriptions, Amazon's music subscription, Amazon's Kindle Unlimited are in the same vein. If you listen to a LOT of different types of music, nearly constantly, and are always on the lookout for lots of new stuff, they might make sense.... but I'd bet that for most people, it's a poor economic bet. I'm quite sure I wouldn't spend 120 dollars a year on music that goes away after the year - I've certainly spent more on that purchasing CDs but then I own them forever. Amazon's book subscription is a bad idea all around: all the books you could possibly want to read, for one small fee, as long as you don't care to read anything popular or interesting (the selection sucks).
Old 06-07-2019, 04:37 PM

If they just split the app, I'll be happy, as I've never used anything about it other than music, so from my perspective, it has all this other stuff.

I think I'll hide all my music when i upgrade, though. I never invested in DRM'd music, assuming that at some point if lose it and be pissed. So I have stuff I've ripped from CDs, created myself, or purchased from Amazon. I assume that if i hide it offline, I'll be able to reload it if the upgrade doesn't go smoothly.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
If they just split the app, I'll be happy, as I've never used anything about it other than music, so from my perspective, it has all this other stuff.

I think I'll hide all my music when i upgrade, though. I never invested in DRM'd music, assuming that at some point if lose it and be pissed. So I have stuff I've ripped from CDs, created myself, or purchased from Amazon. I assume that if i hide it offline, I'll be able to reload it if the upgrade doesn't go smoothly.
Don’t you have a backup?
You should.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Things like Apple Music subscriptions, Amazon's music subscription, Amazon's Kindle Unlimited are in the same vein. If you listen to a LOT of different types of music, nearly constantly, and are always on the lookout for lots of new stuff, they might make sense....

Oh, there's no "might". Just last week, I made a "Best of 2017" playlist, starting with around a thousand tracks and narrowing it down to the 50 I liked best. Without Apple Music for ten bucks a month (actually $15 as we use the Family subscription), I would have had to, what, spend $1,000 on buying tracks only to discard 95% of them? No thanks.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 06-07-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Don’t you have a backup?
You should.
Yes, I have a backup. I have three. I run time machine, I do occasional static backups into a hard drive that's not usual plugged in, and I recently bought a subscription to Crash plan. I just think that "right before upgrading" might be a good time to do a static backup.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I'm stick with it with Quicken, as there's no good competition there. I'm NOT gonna shell that out for that PC utility.
I feel your pain. At the end of April, I begrudgingly signed up for a year of Quicken, though I hope that some entrepreneur will see an opening and create a standalone product that will be what Quicken used to be. I only use it to balance my checkbook so it's hardly worth more than a buck or two a month.

Even Microsoft is making its Office products subscription based. I own 2017, which was the last year of standalone, and hope it'll last for another decade or so. I liked some of the earlier upgrades to Excel and MS, but frankly, I only need my word processor to do simple tasks, I don't need to share files among multiple computers, and I only use 5% of Excel's bells and whistles. So an annual subscription is a ripoff, IMO.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Will existing installations quit working? Could users still use it to back up their iPhones locally?
I can't tell, but it sounds like maybe your computer is a PC. iTunes on Windows isn't going anywhere and isn't changing. It's status quo for iTunes on Windows.

On a Mac, you can backup your iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc locally just as before but from the Finder instead of iTunes itself. In fact, speaking from a functionality standpoint, practically nothing is changing.

Quote:
So will Amazon be the only place where you can buy single tracks any more?
You will still be able to purchase individual tracks from the iTunes Store which will be available within the Music app. If you're on a PC, nothing in iTunes is changing.

Quote:
You aren't losing access to the ones you've already bought.

Quote:
If you listen to a LOT of different types of music, nearly constantly, and are always on the lookout for lots of new stuff, they might make sense.... but I'd bet that for most people, it's a poor economic bet.
No offense, but you'd lose that bet. The fact that downloads — as both individual tracks and full albums — account for a total of only 10% (and falling) of music industry revenue while subscriptions count for almost 50% (and rising fast) shows that customers place higher value on everything the subscription services provides than simply purchasing downloads.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
No offense, but you'd lose that bet. The fact that downloads — as both individual tracks and full albums — account for a total of only 10% (and falling) of music industry revenue while subscriptions count for almost 50% (and rising fast) shows that customers place higher value on everything the subscription services provides than simply purchasing downloads.

I'm obviously on the pro-subscription side of this, but I do have to point out for fairness's sake that people don't always make the smartest use of their money. In this case, I think they are--unless they just listen over and over to the same 40 songs that were popular when they were in high school, in which case they'd be better off to buy them and save their monthly subscription fees.

What do you mean about "everything the subscription services provide"? Playlists? Suggesting music you might like?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I'm obviously on the pro-subscription side of this, but I do have to point out for fairness's sake that people don't always make the smartest use of their money.
Great, but that doesn't seem to be the story here.

Quote:
What do you mean about "everything the subscription services provide"? Playlists? Suggesting music you might like?
Yes. Curation, discovery, friends playlists, stream 50 million songs anyplace you are, etc. Whatever stuff you don't get with a single song purchase.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
This bears out my longstanding preference for having physical media versus "buying" something stored on the cloud. The vendor can take it away or change the terms.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you buy something from iTunes, you can download it and, even if Apple disappears completely, you will still have the files on your computer to listen to forever. Now, the subscription service is entirely different. Stop subscribing and you're out of all the music that you've added to your library from that source.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you buy something from iTunes, you can download it and, even if Apple disappears completely, you will still have the files on your computer to listen to forever.
That's true for music purchases, but TV and movies are still (as everyone else does) encumbered with DRM.

FWIW, Apple has said they won't delete local copies of your media.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM

The other obvious downsides to a subscription service is: 1) The monthly fee can go up at the whim of the provider; 2) Artists/record companies can decline to participate. I've already heard grumblings that artists' cut from streaming is horrible.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I hadn't heard about Quicken, since traditionally I wait until they cut support for the version I'm using before springing for an upgrade, and I tend to ignore the deluge of "UPGRADE NOW" of emails they're always sending. Honestly, I've gotten to the point that I only use it every few months to make sure all of my accounts are up to date in case something happens to my statements. I use my bank's app just about every day to either check balances or pay bills, so pretty much the only advantage to Quicken at this point is seeing everything in one place. I also use Chronicle to keep track of bills; I've been very pleased with it. It's not meant to take the place of Quicken though.

I know I'm in the minority, but I have a handful of songs that won't be found on any subscription, and many (to my knowledge) have never seen any kind of release on physical media. I'll listen to a streaming service (usually Google Play Music) now and then, but the only thing I'm subscribed to is SiriusXM -- and not at the tier where you can access online streaming.

Meanwhile, my mother (who I should mention is an Apple fangirl) saw the news and offered to buy me a new iPod and car stereo for Christmas, so that's her take on the matter.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 06-09-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I have a handful of songs that won't be found on any subscription,
Those don't disappear if you do subscribe to a service. I subscribe to Apple Music and my music library at the time was uploaded to the cloud. I have access to them along with whatever I've added via subscription. It's still the vast majority of my music library,
Old 06-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The other obvious downsides to a subscription service is: 1) The monthly fee can go up at the whim of the provider; 2) Artists/record companies can decline to participate. I've already heard grumblings that artists' cut from streaming is horrible.
Only if you consider .0035 cents per play to be lousy pay.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Only if you consider .0035 cents per play to be lousy pay.
The order of magnitude is .0035 dollars per play, or 0.35 cents.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
The order of magnitude is .0035 dollars per play, or 0.35 cents.

I don’t believe it’s nearly that generous. 0.0035 cents sounds more accurate. That would be 0.000035 dollars per play.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM

(checking...)

Last edited by jaycat; 06-09-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 PM

Riemann is correct, I apologize. My payments per stream vary from $0.02 to the lofty sum of $0.14.