Old 06-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What’s in YOUR Bloody Mary?

Spinoff from the Brunch thread.

I pick out an enormous glass tumbler, at least 16 ounces. From the fridge take a lime and the bottle of Gold’s (Brooklyn) prepared horseradish, put a teaspoon in the bottom of the glass. Squeeze in half the lime and cut a twist for garnish.

From the pantry get the Worcestershire and plop in several large dashes. And the Tabasco (or similar “pure” Loosiana hot sauce) and plop in several small dashes.

From the spice shelf add a dash of celery salt and a couple grinds of black pepper. Stir.

Add a reasonable amount of ice. Pour over at least 3 ounces of the cheapest possible vodka. Stir again until well mixed and chilled.

Top glass with (least to most desirable) 1) tomato juice; 2) V-8 juice cocktail; 3) Clamato juice cocktail. Using the last makes it a Canadian-style Bloody Caesar, but I contend it tastes the best. I like clams.

Tomato juice is rather insipid, although the spices make it palatable. V-8 adds extra flavor plus an unhealthy delicious jolt of salt. Clamato adds clam.

Throw in the reserved lime twist (or entire half-rind) and stir once again. Ready!

Okay, now, everyone tell me why I’m wrong and your version is the correct one.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm a wierdo - I like a splash of 7-Up.
Try it and you'll never go back.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In addition to, or instead of, the fresh lime (or lemon)?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

In addition.
IMHO most bloody's are either so thick that it's hard to even drink them or if they're smooth it's because there's enough vodka to get you buzzed off just one. A traditional bloody with just a splash of 7 thins it out enough to drink just a bit more like a micheleda without running the integrity of the drink.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I"m fond of the Spicy-Hot variety of V8 juice anyway, so that's what goes into my bloody mary. Ditto on the horseradish. And I like to wet the rim of the glass and then dust it in celery salt before making the drink.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
In addition.
IMHO most bloody's are either so thick that it's hard to even drink them or if they're smooth it's because there's enough vodka to get you buzzed off just one. A traditional bloody with just a splash of 7 thins it out enough to drink just a bit more like a micheleda without running the integrity of the drink.
I applaud your wisdom, and will try your version if I can find a 7 ounce bottle of Mexican 7-UP with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I"m fond of the Spicy-Hot variety of V8 juice anyway, so that's what goes into my bloody mary. Ditto on the horseradish. And I like to wet the rim of the glass and then dust it in celery salt before making the drink.
I havn’t tried the spicy V-8, but I use the Clamato “preparado,” which is meant to go straight into a michelada.

The addition of horseradish I always thought was a New York thing. When I edited a cookbook by a NYC breakfast restauranteur, I suggested adding it to her Bloody. She tasted it and concurred.

Dusting the rim with celery salt makes you the greatest human being since Leonardo.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:46 PM

I mix Spicy V-8 with Scotch, provoking eyerolls from my wife as I always, always, declare the ensuing concoction to be “Bloody Mary, Queen Of Scotch.”

How she hasn’t left me yet remains a mystery.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:46 PM

No Celery or Celery Salt.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
No Celery or Celery Salt.
Oh....I forgot to mention...after stirring, use a leafy celery stalk as garnish.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I mix Spicy V-8 with Scotch
My god, why? Did you lose a bet?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:01 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
My god, why? Did you lose a bet?
Agreed. Why ruin perfectly good Spicy V-8 like that?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The basic Casa Silenus Bloody Mary is V-8, vodka, Lea & Perrins, Crystal, celery salt, fresh-cracked pepper, prepared horseradish, lemon juice in a pint glass with ice. Usually Texas-style.*

* - "Honey, if I can't see through it, it ain't doin' me a lick of good."
Old 06-01-2019, 11:23 PM

V-8, Tito's, Worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce of your choice, and some cracked black pepper. Add a stalk of celery and use it to stir. Throw the celery stalk and anything else someone wants to garnish the drink with in the garbage.

Last edited by Spud; 06-01-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 AM

I never order Bloody Mary's but my wife does.

This may be just a Maryland thing but Bloody Mary's usually come rimmed with Old Bay seasoning.

Such that, when we were visiting her sister in Illinois, my wife ordered a Bloody Mary and got it rimmed with salt. She asked the bartender, where's the Old Bay and he looked at her like she had two heads.

Her sister intervened and said, "Oh right, they don't do that out here."
Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 AM

I am totally good with the OP's version if we eliminate the Clamato possibility.

And I'd like to thank each and every one of you for not garnishing with strips of bacon, chicken wings, Hot 'N Ready pizzas, and whole turkey legs.

mmm
Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 AM

The OP's sounds perfect except for the possibility of clamato :shudder:. V8 though is the way to go. Oh, and don't for get a green olive or three. How could you forget the green olive?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Some ambitious ideas here, but for me, the World's Best Bloody Mary can be realized in three simple steps.

1-Turn on computer and book the next available flight to New Orleans.

2-After landing at the airport, get a cab and instruct the driver to drop you off at either Liuzzas By The Track or Mother's (on Poydras) which ever one is quicker, depending on traffic.

3-Go inside and order a Bloody Mary, with a cold longneck bottle of the cheapest beer they have on the side. (at Liuzzas, a BBQ shrimp po-boy is also acceptable as a side order, but, please, for the love of all that is Good and Holy, avoid the food at Mother's at all possible costs)

(failing that, I think that ZingZang and Mr & Mrs T make perfectly fine Bloody Mary mixes, in fact both are much better than many homemade or bar "house" recipies, too many of which seem to think that "More Exotic=Better" which is rarely true)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:53 AM

The OP's version sounds like mine, but I have to add some olives (ideally stuffed with something interesting), a dilly bean or two, a tiny boiled potato, and maybe even a sprig of leftover asparagus.

A Meal In A Glass.

Also, I have to question the OP claim that a standard pint glass is "enormous".

ETA: had a Bloody Ceasar in NOLA once that was garnished with shrimps, and had the rim dusted with Old Bay!!

Last edited by kayaker; 06-02-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Mine contains no alcohol, and is either Mr. & Mrs. T bloody Mary mix or just a glass of spicy hot V-8.

Tho sometimes I go crazy and add a little Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice to the V-8.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
The OP's sounds perfect except for the possibility of clamato :shudder:. V8 though is the way to go. Oh, and don't for get a green olive or three. How could you forget the green olive?
2 green olives. That way it's a Bloody Charlie - a drink with balls!

Ike has the recipe down, except for that Clamato heresy. Anybody who needs vegetation or protein in their drink should just order breakfast off the menu like everybody else!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
but, please, for the love of all that is Good and Holy, avoid the food at Mother's at all possible costs)
For whatever reason, Mother's seems to be polarizing. It's the first place I ate in New Orleans, and, in my visits since, I still love the debris and Ferdi po' boys there especially. Then again, I've never had anything I'd describe as a bad meal in my trips to New Orleans.
But Mother's is more than fine.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-02-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
For whatever reason, Mother's seems to be polarizing. It's the first place I ate in New Orleans, and, in my visits since, I still love the debris and Ferdi po' boys there especially. Then again, I've never had anything I'd describe as a bad meal in my trips to New Orleans.
Well, I will admit to perhaps being biased, because of the sheer volume of the amount of time I have been lucky enough to spend carousing the steamy streets of the Crescent City, but while maybe the food at Mother's isn't TERRIBLE, there are literally 100 different places in New Orleans, ranging from literally World Class "fine dining" to "I wouldn't dare look in the kitchen if my very life depended on it" dives that have better food than Mother's, which is why the 2 hour wait out the door for a seat on weekends perplexes and amuses me so much.

(Mother's Bloody Mary is on the other hand, maybe the very best in the world, and if that is all you want, just skip the line and order from the bar, in a plastic go-cup, of course)

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 06-02-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I like Mother’s, too. There’s no line at breakfast time, and you can still order a baked ham/debris po’ boy and a couple of beers.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Stolis, tomato juice, Old Bay, lemon juice, sometimes horseradish. I don't drink them but my wife does if we don't have champagne to make Mimosas.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I like Mother’s, too. There’s no line at breakfast time, and you can still order a baked ham/debris po’ boy and a couple of beers.
Nothing wrong with Mother's. The food is fine. It's not supposed to be a 5 star restaurant. I leave a tip anyway.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Mine contains no alcohol, and is either Mr. & Mrs. T bloody Mary mix or just a glass of spicy hot V-8.

Tho sometimes I go crazy and add a little Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice to the V-8.
That is really good stuff. My morning routine used to consist of a small glass of Mr 7 Mrs Ts (sans alcohol) just before heading out the door.
Need to get back to that.

Last edited by zoid; 06-02-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Got to try the Old Bay thing. There must be a 20-year-old can somewhere in the house...
Old 06-02-2019, 04:39 PM

I can't believe the aversion to clamato that some have expressed! The Caesar is one of the most popular drinks in Canada, if not the most popular. I think its success is due to the way the clam juice cuts both the thickness and the heavy taste of tomato juice, and leads to a lighter more appetizing drink.

If I were making it from scratch and striving for the ideal drink, I'd start with either Mott's Clamato or a recent limited-distribution premium brand called Walter, named after Walter Chell who invented the drink in 1969. Then dip the rim of the glass in lemon juice and then into a dish containing Mott's Clamato Rimmer, which contains celery salt but also a lot of other spices. Then put in lots of ice (this is key), vodka, tabasco, Worcestershire, and the clamato juice. Horseradish optional, but some folks swear by it. A celery stalk is mandatory for proper presentation, and a couple of hot peppers on a skewer can be a nice touch. A lemon slice on the rim of the glass optional.

But when making everyday Caesars for myself, I cut corners all over the place, mainly by using Mott's premixed Caesars in individual serving cans, with the vodka already in it, though I usually add another dash or two. They manage to create a very nice balanced flavor and the consistency is worth the slight extra cost. And instead of rimming the glass, my lazy-man's Caesar just gets Mott's Clamato Rimmer sprinkled into it. I'll plunk a celery stalk into it if I happen to have one around.

I honestly don't think I've had an actual Bloody Mary since sometime in the 1970s, and only because I was in the US and when I asked for a Caesar the waiter looked at me like I had two heads.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I can't believe the aversion to clamato that some have expressed! The Caesar is one of the most popular drinks in Canada, if not the most popular.
I rest my case.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I rest my case.
Hmmm.....
Quote:
2 green olives. That way it's a Bloody Charlie - a drink with balls!

Ike has the recipe down, except for that Clamato heresy. Anybody who needs vegetation or protein in their drink should just order breakfast off the menu like everybody else!
Are you under the impression that tomatoes are not vegetation, or lack protein? A Bloody Mary with two olives and without any other "vegetation or protein" in it would normally be referred to as a "vodka martini". You must confuse a lot of bartenders! They're already confused enough because I absentmindedly keep asking for Caesars whenever I'm down in there in that uncivilized wasteland that you inhabit.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Clamato is fantastic. Sometimes I wonder if people are more uncomfortable with the idea of it than the actual taste. But, then again, I love fish sauce, so the extra savoriness/umami clams add to tomato juice is great. It’s not like it tastes clammy, or at least if it does, I can’t tell. The shrimp take on it that I see is pretty good too.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-02-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Bivalve juice! Just what a cocktail needs! Especially a hangover cocktail.

My "vegetation" comment was directed at people who order Bloodies at places like this. Or these places.

Philistines, all of them.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Clamato is fantastic. Sometimes I wonder if people are more uncomfortable with the idea of it than the actual taste. But, then again, I love fish sauce, so the extra savoriness/umami clams add to tomato juice is great. It’s not like it tastes clammy, or at least if it does, I can’t tell.
I think the reason it doesn't taste "clammy" is that it's perfectly balanced by the tomato juice -- a match made in heaven!
Quote:
My "vegetation" comment was directed at people who order Bloodies at places like this. Or these places.

Philistines, all of them.
I agree! Not that I'd ever be uncouth enough to actually order a Bloody Mary, but if I order a Caesar, I don't expect it to be delivered with a 20-course banquet on top of it! I prefer to order my dinner separately. Being a tasteful drink guided by the conventions of a civilized country, of course, Caesars are never served that way.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Mine contains none of that shit; straight vodka (if I'm drinking vodka).

We'll clink glasses & collectively have a Bloody Mary.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The shrimp take on it that I see is pretty good too.
This is the one I was thinking of. Like Clamato, except with shrimp. They have it all over the Mexican grocery stores here. Also well balanced, and not particularly strong on the shrimp flavor. I've never compared them directly, though. One of these days, I'll have to do a Clamato vs Camaronazo vs Plain Tomato Juice (control) taste test.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-02-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
This is the one I was thinking of. Like Clamato, except with shrimp. They have it all over the Mexican grocery stores here. Also well balanced, and not particularly strong on the shrimp flavor. I've never compared them directly, though. One of these days, I'll have to do a Clamato vs Camaronazo vs Plain Tomato Juice (control) taste test.
That seems a little weird to me. Clams naturally produce lots of juice when steamed, or they can be boiled and then the liquid filtered. Shrimp, not so much. I don't even know what "shrimp juice" is. I love shrimp, but honestly, that doesn't sound very appetizing.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That seems a little weird to me. Clams naturally produce lots of juice when steamed, or they can be boiled and then the liquid filtered. Shrimp, not so much. I don't even know what "shrimp juice" is. I love shrimp, but honestly, that doesn't sound very appetizing.
The ingredient is "shrimp extract." I assume it's something like a shrimp paste type of thing, powdered shrimp, or maybe boiled down shrimp/shrimp shell stock. I use all of those in my cooking occasionally and I assure you, there's nothing odd about it.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-02-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Mott's Clamato Rimmer
I laughed for a while about this, but I'm still not sure why. You can't say it out loud with dignity. Is it kept behind the counter, at the service desk, or with the other rimmers?
Old 06-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't believe the aversion to clamato that some have expressed! The Caesar is one of the most popular drinks in Canada, if not the most popular. I think its success is due to the way the clam juice cuts both the thickness and the heavy taste of tomato juice, and leads to a lighter more appetizing drink.
I wish they weren't so popular. I've given up ordering Bloody Marys in Canada, because Canadian bartenders either (a), assume I made a mistake with my order and serve a Caesar anyway; (b) don't have tomato juice, though they have plenty of clamato; or (c) do have tomato juice--in a can that likely has a Best Before date of 2009.

I've tried a few Caesars, but I just don't like the taste of them--the clam does something to the tomato juice that I find ruins the taste. I do like Bloody Marys, and make it a point to enjoy a few when I am in the United States. Other than that, I'll make my own.

But to each their own, eh?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 AM

anything that isnt tomato juice!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 PM

I make mine alcohol-free. (I'm not a teetotaler- just prefer them that way.) Love, love, love Zing Zang mix straight over ice, but most often dress up a Low Sodium V8 with whatever's on hand, including, but not limited to: Lemon, Lime, freshly cracked pepper, Tabasco, Sriracha, Worchestershire, olives (with a splash of brine), celery, celery salt, ground celery, random hot sauce from the hot sauce sampler my in-laws give me for birthdays and Christmases, horseradish, or perhaps, soy. I adore Clamato on its unembellished own. The 1 thing that does NOT go into my drink is Vodka, which, I think, in Australia, is known as a "Bloody Shame"!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:

no alcohol?? That's virgin mary, not bloody mary!
Old 06-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Same as the OP, but Tequila. Or not. I don't care. I'll drink it anyway.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
...A Meal In A Glass...
I'll take my meal on a plate, if you please.

We're not savages.

mmm
Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 AM

Celery salt on the rim, worcestershire sauce (or A1 steak sauce), hot sauce, black pepper, green olives, a skewer containing various cubes of cheese, pickle and cold shrimp. Ketel One vodka and Zing Zang bloody mary mix. If available, a splash of Guiness. If not, a sidecar of beer, preferably a wheat ale.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Sacramento tomato juice, Worcestershire, black pepper, Tabasco, a couple of generous slices of fresh lemon and Kelchner's horseradish. Oh, and vodka. Fairly simple but very good.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM

Pretty sure I've posted this a few times. Sue me. Take about a half pound or so of habanero peppers, cut them in half to remove the seeds and stem, and stick the peppers in a bottle of vodka for a few weeks. Use this vodka for your Bloody Mary.

I don't advise doing shots of this vodka. Well, maybe one, but I doubt you'd want another.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Firstly, do it right and use Gin. Pint glass with ice, V8 or Clamato, Buffalo chipotle hot sauce(2-3 dashes), 1 dash L&P, twist of lime, couple of shakes of celery salt and a celery stick to garnish/stir/snack.