Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 AM

New Star Wars movies - a trilogy too far?

George Lucas plotting new Star Wars trilogy

My first reaction? A Wookie-sized yawn. I absolutely loved the first Star Wars movies, this side idolatry. The second batch I found massively disappointing, embarrassing even (yes, Jar Jar Binks, I am looking at you - Jesus Christ, Lucas, what the hell were you thinking?).

And now George is busily scribbling three more. I'm sorry, that's it for me. I had respect for the guy once. Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, he promised to be a great director. American Graffiti was a wonderful film. But what director worth his salt spends his whole lifetime making the same damn movie!

Which brings me to my second reaction on hearing the news above. Sadness. A real sadness for Lucas. For the career that might have been. For the films of genius that never were. For the director in him that died long long ago. RIP George.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 AM

Get a fucking writer and a real director!!!!

If Lucas is writing it, it's a recipe for disaster (not commercialy). The same guy responsible for Indy 4...

Moving away from the Skywalker clan isnt a bad idea, but it would really be cool to also move away from Jedis as main characters then, and use them as the Wizards are used in LOTR, that is too powerful to be honest figures.
Honestly, I had always thought that the best thing to do would have been to do spin offs of SW, I have long awaited for a Bobba Fett movie (though clearly Lucas has never really understood the love for Fett).
Old 11-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

This rumour has already been denied by Lucasfilm, so don't take any notice until it's official, which is probably never going to be the case.

There is probably going to be a live action TV series (it's on hold, for various reasons) and there is currently the Clone Wars animated series (which is actually really good). Apart from that and EU and Video Games properties, there will be no more Star Wars movies.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:17 AM

I agree with GuanoLad 100%. The rumour is bogus. TV is the future of Star Wars, at least as far as Lucas is concerned.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
and there is currently the Clone Wars animated series (which is actually really good).
Lol, your street cred just took a dive.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
Lol, your street cred just took a dive.
If only I had some.

It's not perfect television, and it's aimed sometimes a little too squarely at kids, but it is a very entertaining show; it feels more like the original trilogy Star Wars than the prequels managed.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
It's not perfect television, and it's aimed sometimes a little too squarely at kids, but it is a very entertaining show; it feels more like the original trilogy Star Wars than the prequels managed.
Again, agreed. I don't care if this makes me uncool, but I've thoroughly enjoyed The Clone Wars. It's great fun and comes closest to what my ten year old self dreamed of, all those years ago.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
This rumour has already been denied by Lucasfilm, so don't take any notice until it's official, which is probably never going to be the case.
Damn! What's the world coming to when you can't even trust the internet!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Damn! What's the world coming to when you can't even trust the internet!
I know. First the fake Nigerian Princes, and now this.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 PM

I bet someone will make a good Star Wars flick after Lucas has been dead for a couple decades.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 PM

I heard that the plan was for nine films some time ago--when Empire opened with "Episode V."

Sometime during the making of the second trilogy, that plan was disavowed.

Now? Well, I can't see how new stuff could hurt the franchise.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm sorry, but where the hell is he going to fit a trilogy in the midst of this list of books that are official canon?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Neminem crede, Nihil non disqu
Charter Member

Wasn't the original Star Wars plot spread out as nine episodes? The first six were filmed, but Lucas dropped the last three ... maybe he got tired of it?

Last edited by user_hostile; 11-14-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Lacking specifics
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_hostile View Post
Wasn't the original Star Wars plot spread out as nine episodes? The first six were filmed, but Lucas dropped the last three ... maybe he got tired of it?
Nah, he had no idea, really. It was just made up stuff they said back then. I mean, Lucas even suggested it, but it had no grand plan.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:35 PM

I believe Lucas' most recent version is that the nine-film plot was compressed into the six movies we have now; he always intended the confrontation with the Emperor to be the climax of the entire saga.

But even the very earliest of sequel rumors had them taking place many years after Jedi, with Luke in Obi-Wan's Ep IV role. So if Lucas really wanted a sequel trilogy, the age of the cast isn't necessarily a problem.

As for the novels, what would stop Lucas from simply decreeing "Sorry, they're not canon anymore!"?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Kal View Post
I believe Lucas' most recent version is that the nine-film plot was compressed into the six movies we have now; he always intended the confrontation with the Emperor to be the climax of the entire saga.

But even the very earliest of sequel rumors had them taking place many years after Jedi, with Luke in Obi-Wan's Ep IV role. So if Lucas really wanted a sequel trilogy, the age of the cast isn't necessarily a problem.

As for the novels, what would stop Lucas from simply decreeing "Sorry, they're not canon anymore!"?
A possible lynching from all the authors of those books who went through hell submitting and resubmitting and re-resubmitting drafts that had to fit in not only with the whims of Lucafilms but also with the plotlines of other authors.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:41 PM

At the risk of opening up a huge can of worms, the books aren't canon... at least as far as potential films/TV series are concerned. The prequels and The Clone Wars have demonstrated that.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Earlier this year at the 30th anniversary screening of Empire, Lucas said that he wasn't working on any new movie and that the proposed live-action series is on hold.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...ing_131186.asp
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Neminem crede, Nihil non disqu
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Nah, he had no idea, really. It was just made up stuff they said back then. I mean, Lucas even suggested it, but it had no grand plan.
Ah. A fatal trait of mine: assuming that they had it all figured out in the beginning, rather than, "let's see what happens, okay?"
Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM

SW should have stopped a long long time ago, the second trilogy was a trilogy too far from my perspective, it was all downhill after ESB.

Given it didnt, he might as well cash in.

Otara
Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If they aren't based on Tim Zahn's trilogy and written/directed by someone other than Lucas, they're crap by definition. Glad to see Lucasfilm is denying the rumor.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Forget new trilogy, live action tv, novels...what the Star Wars universe needs is a Special Edition Blu-ray issue of the "Star Wars Holiday Special".
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Forget new trilogy, live action tv, novels...what the Star Wars universe needs is a Special Edition Blu-ray issue of the "Star Wars Holiday Special".
Wookiee Life Day is the 17th of this month. Let's make it happen for 12 months time!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Only if it is in 3-D
Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'm sorry, but where the hell is he going to fit a trilogy in the midst of this list of books that are official canon?
Star Wars canon is... fairly complex. But the bottom line is that for George Lucas, canon is whatever he says is canon--he's not bound by anything in the Expanded Universe. And this being George Lucas, there's no reason to believe he'd think twice about disregarding, say, the Zahn trilogy if he wanted to do a few movies set in that era...
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

It's an odd thing about canon, because George will sometimes crib from it, including characters in the prequels (Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos); and he'll also contribute to it, giving suggestions to some of the comic and game creators.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
Star Wars canon is... fairly complex. But the bottom line is that for George Lucas, canon is whatever he says is canon--he's not bound by anything in the Expanded Universe. And this being George Lucas, there's no reason to believe he'd think twice about disregarding, say, the Zahn trilogy if he wanted to do a few movies set in that era...
The guy is not even bound by his own cannon. See the Solo shot first thing and all the retcon he's been doing with either the new trilogy but also with the re re re re re releases of the Real Trilogy.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 AM

Personally I think the new trilogy improved from the complete crap that was Phantom Menace to ROTS which was a decent film so I wouldn't mind new films by Lucas. What I would really like is a Fireflyesque TV series about the early adventures of Han and Lando directed by Joss Whedon. Not holding my breath though.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 AM

Incidentally I think people exaggerate the negative impact of the prequels on the franchise. Revenge of the Sith in addition to being a box-office hit was a widely liked film. It received 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and is at 7.8 on IMDB. Obviously there are some people who hate all the prequels and think they have completely ruined the franchise but I don't think that is the majority view.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Suspended

Can somebody please make Sci-Fi movies where the people dress like its the 23rd century (and not some dump like europe ca. 1300 AD)?
Why the hell to his actors wear puttees?
Lucas had some pretty starnge ideas about advanced technology civilizations.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
Can somebody please make Sci-Fi movies where the people dress like its the 23rd century (and not some dump like europe ca. 1300 AD)?
It's not meant to be hard science fiction or even plausible speculative fiction. It's an adventure/fantasy/myth/fairy tale set in space.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
If wearing 23rd century clothes is wearing brightly colored pyjamas, I'll stand with Lucas here.
Plus, it's "Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away..." if I remember well. The whole strength of SW relied on not going for out-of-date-tomorrow futurisms.

Last edited by Capitaine Zombie; 11-15-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Klingon butt rape
Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 AM

They should just go ahead and make a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy. I'll watch that. Not with Lucas at the helm though.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Another vote for Zahn. I would actually pay money to see those in a theater. And I haven't gone to a theater to see a movie since The Producers (the musical).

Last edited by jayjay; 11-15-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM

I think Lucas whored himself out with the frickin' Ewoks and JarJar.

I have not seen Episodes 1-3, and won't bother with anything else he puts out, be it Lego, Stop Animation, Live, Anniversary, Director's Alternate Ending, Shit that doesn't belong to any story line thrown in at random, or Dead.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
I think Lucas whored himself out with the frickin' Ewoks and JarJar.

I have not seen Episodes 1-3, and won't bother with anything else he puts out, be it Lego, Stop Animation, Live, Anniversary, Director's Alternate Ending, Shit that doesn't belong to any story line thrown in at random, or Dead.

I disagree for the Ewoks, they're obviously a thumbs up from Lucas to the Vietcong.

Episode 2, honestly had some really good moments, 3 is the worst ever made. I strugled against sleep the whole movie, almost walked out of the theatre.
Still you should definitely check Genny Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. They're really really good, even for a Stern Old Trilogist, like you seem to be.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM

An opinion from someone who:

1. Loves the original trilogy (just watched all 3 in one day last Saturday, in fact!)
2. Thought the prequels were somewhat slow, but entertaining in their own way and not nearly as awful as the prevailing opinion around here.
3. Doesn't give a crap about novels or canon.

I'd enjoy seeing more Star Wars films. It'd be cool if they could get Mark Hamill back and have Luke mentoring a young protege or two (maybe even his own kids, or Han and Leia's?) and having to fight off a resurgence of the Dark Side for the first time since the Empire was destroyed. I would hope they'd bring back at least some of the original characters (though Ford has stated he wouldn't be interested in revisiting Han Solo, but you never know).

It's a given that a certain number of fans would be upset with whatever the end product might be. So what? Like spark240 said, what could it hurt at this point?

Oh, and, the website I never heard of spent the first three paragraphs of this article insisting that they are never wrong! So the rumors must be true! (What was that Shakespeare line? "Methinks thou dost protesteth too much"?)
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Splinter of the Mind's Eye" is canon? I find that... disturbing.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
"Splinter of the Mind's Eye" is canon? I find that... disturbing.
Incesteriffic!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM

I would like to wait a generation til Lucas is dead and then have a new "reboot" trilogy based on Zahn's first three SW books.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Kal View Post

After all the plot holes in the last trilogy, I'm not even sure the films are official canon anymore.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey The Heavy View Post
I know. First the fake Nigerian Princes, and now this.
Wait... they're fake??!!??!!

I'll be back... I have to run to my bank immediately!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
If wearing 23rd century clothes is wearing brightly colored pyjamas, I'll stand with Lucas here.
Plus, it's "Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away..." if I remember well. The whole strength of SW relied on not going for out-of-date-tomorrow futurisms.
Actually, if the women would wear outfits like Pricess Leia did (while a captive of Jabba), I'd be pretty happy!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
But what director worth his salt spends his whole lifetime making the same damn movie!
Coppola?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM

An animated version of the Zahn novels seems like a license to print money. Great story, voice acting from the original cast, and Lucas can restore his cred with some of the fans who hate 1-3. IOW, I'd go see it.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM

I've said this before and I'll never stop saying it. The supernatural shit was never the cool thing about Star Wars. The Force and the Jedi spiritualism and that stuff was just a sideline. The coolest thing about Star Wars, the heart and soul of it, was the material stuff - the swashbuckling Han Solo, the menacing Imperial war machine, the battered, dirty technology, the DIY guerrilla ethic of the Rebels. That stuff was what made Star Wars, not a bunch of pretentious guys with robes and convoluted names.