Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Hold down middle mouse button. Press B, B again to restore default view.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Huzzah! I'm back in and Flaminatrix is reborn! I was even able to recreate one of her costumes from memory. I did, however, before the old game was shut down, get screenshots of all of my characters in all of their costumes, to use as references for recreation.

One thing I cannot remember, though, is how to turn the camera around so that I can view my character from the front. None of the mouse settings seemed to cover it, but I know I used to be able to do it.
I hold down the scroll wheel then move the mouse left/right to rotate the camera around. Iím pretty sure that the default.

When in doubt about any controls just go to the top-right menu, click options, then keybinds. Youíll see what button does what, and you can change whatever you donít like. Some actions by default have no keybind set, so you canít do them until you include one.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Thanks, got it all sorted. I'm slowly remembering how to do a lot of things in the game. I only played for a year - I only learned that the game would run on a Mac in late 2011, and then of course it got shut down in late 2012. So now after six and a half years away from it, gotta relearn how to play.

One thing I had forgotten was the greatly accelerated day/night cycle. And it actually seems faster than I remember.

EDIT: I also think I'm going to have to install some 3rd-party screenshot utility, because as of now, every time I press "PrintScreen", the game crashes.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 05-11-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:02 PM

All right, once I remembered that I had posted in this thread back when the old game was still up, I went back and read through all of my old posts. I was amused to discover that the very first "gameplay" question I asked was about how to turn the camera around for taking screenshots. Pretty much the exact question I asked again once I got into this new incarnation of the game.

I also discovered that, at various points, I indicated my various characters' power sets, which will be helpful. Before the shutdown I took a lot of screenshots to record the costumes, but I've discovered that I failed to screenshot power sets for a lot of characters.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Of the four "Homecoming" servers, the one that's the "unofficial RP" server (aka the new Virtue) is Everlasting. That's where I'm creating characters at this point. If anyone's interested in connecting there, my global chat handle is @Thermocline. I'm up for re-creating C.E.C.I.L. - it's good to have friends.

Massively OP has been doing a great job of covering the whole saga of leaked code and rogue servers. Such a good job, in fact, that the first publicly available rogue server was named "Bree" in honor of the journalist there who's been leading the coverage. https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/10/c...tles-toxicity/

Regarding our old characters: Assume we will never get them back. They're linked to our old account data, and unless NCSoft decides to restore those, they're gone. Yes, it's possible for someone to have leaked that data file as well, but then you're talking about privacy violations, not just IP/copyright issues. GDPR is not something that you want to mess with.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM

I ended up doing the mission chain in Kings Row that involves shutting down the Skulls' drug operation, and was surprised to find a couple of cutscenes in there.

It's probable that my memory is faulty after all this time, but I have no recollection at all of cutscenes prior to this.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4 View Post
Of the four "Homecoming" servers, the one that's the "unofficial RP" server (aka the new Virtue) is Everlasting. That's where I'm creating characters at this point. If anyone's interested in connecting there, my global chat handle is @Thermocline. I'm up for re-creating C.E.C.I.L. - it's good to have friends.
Iíve been mostly playing on Excelsior (after Bree went down that was the only server, aside from Torchbearer) but I made a character on Everlasting just to have a presence there. Martial Arts/Invuln Scrapper named Swift Justice.

My global handle is @Atama if we want to start up a SDMB group.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Hi, from the ghost of Xmas Past!

Just dropped back in to say...
  • Wow, I am glad I subscribed to this thread. The updates from that were my first hint CoX was back, and got me back online. Thanks for the info here!
  • I've just done an exhaustive update of what used to be the "Bind & Macro Guide," but now contains so much info in its 75 pages that I renamed it the CoH/CoV Technical Guide. Binds, macros, emotes, slash commands, window and UI control and more. Not just a list of stuff, all extensively researched and validated. with, like, you know, explanations.
  • You can find it here.
  • I'm on Excelsior if anyone wants to look me up; global name is at that link.

(Activates Stalker hide power, vanishes back into the digital mist...)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I've got the client downloading now. Armoury and Samandarian will rise again!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My main is on Everlasting. Some sort of tanker, I can't remember the powersets, they're new to me. Gah, can you believe I've already made alts? I'm not sure how it works, but I've made a hero-side Mastermind. And some others. I'm not really taking it seriously, as I'm not sure about the long-term prospects of these servers. I've saved my real creativity for City of Titans, which I hope will open Alpha and maybe even Beta testing this year.

The gameplay is as great as I remembered. The costuming is starting to look dated. The low-poly faces bother me and the few options for body-morphing is limiting. But it's fun to play!

Global handle is @Pleonast. I'm up for supergrouping. I think I read that server transferring is relatively painless, we can probably meet up all on one server.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I'm in! I have to admit, I had a shiver hearing the Atlas Park music.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I'm in! I have to admit, I had a shiver hearing the Atlas Park music.
We took the rebuilt Thermocline and Eliza Bennet into Steel Canyon last night - and yep, its the music. Its also "the magic store is right over here" - its amazing how familiar it all is after all this time.

(Eliza is still an Empath defender - and they still suck eggs to do anything but support your man. I should have named her Tammy Wynette. But as a team, a fire blaster and an empath defender cut through missions like a hot knife through butter)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
(Eliza is still an Empath defender - and they still suck eggs to do anything but support your man. I should have named her Tammy Wynette. But as a team, a fire blaster and an empath defender cut through missions like a hot knife through butter)
Hey! I'll have you know that I soloed the final Mot mission with an Empathy defender!

I still remember Hobo Healer, LadyMage, and I arguing with the Defender subforum (and the forum as a whole) that Empaths could solo. Perhaps the Green Machine will live again....
Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Hey! I'll have you know that I soloed the final Mot mission with an Empathy defender!

I still remember Hobo Healer, LadyMage, and I arguing with the Defender subforum (and the forum as a whole) that Empaths could solo. Perhaps the Green Machine will live again....
And I admire you for it. Eliza died a lot when soloing - and the New Eliza dies a lot when soloing. I leveled her up to ten solo because that's where Brainiac had gotten Thermo - and it was frustrating and painful.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Dammit, I need to clear off some time on my schedule to do this..
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 PM

Excelsior! for me.

Can hardly even talk about how good it is to be back, regardless of permanence.

Some sense of my emotions may be gleaned from what I joyously told a friend on voice chat --

"I can't hear you over the sound of my punching!"
Old 05-19-2019, 11:16 AM

I was on a bit of a hiatus for a few days, as I played so much initially that I was having shooting pains in my wrist. CoH is a lot more mouse-intensive than most games I play these days. Switching mice seems to have helped. I got your global invite, Pleonast - thank you!

If C.E.C.I.L. doesn't already exist on Everlasting, I'll create it today. If it does, I'd love an invite.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
If C.E.C.I.L. doesn't already exist on Everlasting, I'll create it today. If it does, I'd love an invite.
If you create it, I'm willing to join.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:52 PM

Okay, C.E.C.I.L is back! Motto: "Fighting Ignorance Since 2004"

Message me @thermocline and I'll get you an invitation.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Balanced was.... not your average Empathy defender. He soloed *very* well. Certainly better than Thermocline did. Super-Collider also did okay solo - rad/rad is a nice set for that. More fun in groups, though. Accelerate Metabolism is great for making friends.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Balanced was.... not your average Empathy defender. He soloed *very* well.
Well, I did go to a whole lot of extra effort to make him that way, just to mess with people...and he was still much better in groups. And Adrenalin Boost was another great friend-maker.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The instructions were earlier in this thread (thatís how I learned how to play) but Iíll help you out.

The instructions are written here, in detail:
https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,950.0.html

It sounds like you have Tequila installed. To create an account, first create a forum account for the forum I linked above. Then sign into the forums. Then go to the game account creation page:
https://score.savecoh.com/account/

Once your account is created there, you can log into the Homecoming servers with those credentials. Pick one of the five servers (or more, theyíre multiplying) and make a character and play!
I think this would be worth posting as the start of a new thread. As posts accumulate on this one, it's going to get trickier to find the 'getting started' link on page 40.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Call it "How to play the revived City of Heroes", or the like. You'll probably want to keep that thread for technical issues on how to get the game, and leave the discussion of gameplay in this thread, since even after the bump, this thread seems to have a hefty helping of nostalgia and reliving of past glories.

EDIT: Or, if people prefer, we can move all discussion over to a new thread (with the access information easily found in the first post), and I can close this one. What are peoples' preferences?

Last edited by Chronos; 05-20-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 AM

I'm fine with mothballing this thread for the archives.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Balanced has emerged once more from the depths of Orangebagel and is flying over the streets of Paragon City Everlasting.

I fiddled with recreating their classic costume forever. I need to dig through my ancient backups and see if I can find my old costume files. (And builds, for that matter.) I'd forgotten how much was added to the early levels toward the end, and how much things were streamlined. I'm back up to 8 and doing a story arc that I don't even remember seeing before.

"New" stuff aside, the nostalgia hit was almost shocking. I tuned out for hours before I made myself log off.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Yeah - I almost screwed up my fist turn in the DM chair in thirty years because I was running around Paragon City instead of prepping encounters.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I'm fine with mothballing this thread for the archives.
Me too.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Me too.
Me three.

(edit) Chronos, are you going to do the honors of creating the new thread, or would you prefer that one of us do it? I'm happy to do the housekeeping.

Last edited by Brainiac4; 05-20-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added a Q for Chronos.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

My only regret for mothballing this thread is the ironic joy of necroposting about a revivified game.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I don't play, so it wouldn't make much sense for me to start the new thread. One of you'uns do it, and drop the link in here.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM

New thread is here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...3#post21653573