Old 06-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Friend of Cecil

Nations league finals

Portugal-Switzerland. I thought Ronaldo was sorta done when Ajax destroyed Juventus earlier this year, but holy cow he can still play. 3 goals.

Last edited by Isosleepy; 06-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Portugal-Switzerland. I thought Ronaldo was sorta done when Ajax destroyed Juventus earlier this year, but holy cow he can still play. 3 goals.
I taped the game and will watch it later being a fan of quality soccer, but my gosh there are just way too many matches these days. If you are a star player for a good club team your season is already August to May or June, with preseason in July. If you are also on a top national squad you have the Euros and World Cup every two years, plus Confederations Cup, friendlies and now this. Great for the fan but must be horrible for the player!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:13 AM

I confess, even though England are in the Semi-finals I have no idea why we are there and what happens if we win.

But yeah, Ronaldo hat-trick, in other news the Pope is sympathetic to catholic dogma and bear uses it's natural environment for defecation purposes.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
I taped the game and will watch it later being a fan of quality soccer, but my gosh there are just way too many matches these days. If you are a star player for a good club team your season is already August to May or June, with preseason in July. If you are also on a top national squad you have the Euros and World Cup every two years, plus Confederations Cup, friendlies and now this. Great for the fan but must be horrible for the player!
Not really different than it ever has been. The "off" years (odd-numbered ones) are all about qualifying for either the World Cup or the European Championship. Soccer players really only get a short break during the summers, punctuated by call-ups for the national team. UEFA's "Nations League" semi-finals and final is really just using a slot which the four teams would already have been playing a friendly and a European Championship qualifier during. Still, yes, the piper will have to be paid at some point.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Friend of Cecil

Holland -England. Holland by far the better team, but if you can’t finish, and then give away a penalty - well, that’s not the way to win.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Hey, this reminds me. Remember a few years ago we got tons of "live stream spam" with thread titles like this? Now we don't get any.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Friend of Cecil

The Dutch better watch it. They’re starting to look like back in the 2010 WC finals- too many fouls.
No doubt we will also see the traditional Dutch refusal to change the game-plan after half-time. Suspect England has this won.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:38 PM

De Ligt is going to save some team a lot of money in transfer fees if he plays the second half like that.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Friend of Cecil

Memphis DePaay is having a great game. Except... if you can’t score in a one-on-one with the keeper, twice, maybe you substitute him anyway.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Friend of Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
De Ligt is going to save some team a lot of money in transfer fees if he plays the second half like that.
Think hell be ok. Hes 19.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:53 PM

So,I think VAR screwed England.
Not a clear error. Same as in the WC Final, with Croatia and Persisic.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Friend of Cecil

It is amazing. Memphis depay is easily one of the 3 best players in this game. But he cannot score. Not one-on-one, not at all.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Think hell be ok. Hes 19.
Oh, he's going to have a fantastic career, but supposedly his hangup with a Barca transfer is his agent kept demanding more money because the CL run. That error is a bit of a counter argument.

I'll be interested in seeing xG numbers for this game. 26 shots is a ton.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Friend of Cecil

He also scored the equalizer. And did some top-notch defending. His one mistake was a big one, but not representative of his game.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Not really different than it ever has been. The "off" years (odd-numbered ones) are all about qualifying for either the World Cup or the European Championship. Soccer players really only get a short break during the summers, punctuated by call-ups for the national team. UEFA's "Nations League" semi-finals and final is really just using a slot which the four teams would already have been playing a friendly and a European Championship qualifier during. Still, yes, the piper will have to be paid at some point.
Yes, but international tournament football is probably the most high intensity level of the sport, compared to a friendly or a qualifier.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Yes, but international tournament football is probably the most high intensity level of the sport, compared to a friendly or a qualifier.
This "tournament" is not a real tournament. I doubt anyone on any of the teams really considers it all that important to win.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Yeah, I don't know anyone that thinks it's important. I am curious, though, if that'll change as time goes on.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Friend of Cecil

Watching England and Holland: Holland clearly thought it important, perhaps because it was a tournament they were finally in. About 70 minutes in, England clearly felt the same at that point, and we went from 70 minutes of entertaining and exciting soccer, to a cracker of a game for 50 minutes.
Tomorrow (Sunday) I don’t think either England or the Swiss will bestir themselves too much to decide who’s third - but I expect something between an intense game and a reprise of the battle of Nuremberg between the Dutch and Portugal.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Football players get zero sympathy from fans here over the number of games (e.g. pay me 100 grand a week and I'd be out there every day lad) but you are clearly correct, and actually it must hurt the game as a spectacle. Pure athletes like GT cyclists or track runners will train their condition to peak for literally 1 or 2 events per year, yet a top prem football player is expected to produce in 50 or 60 games a year.

Obv not a clear apples to apples comparison, as even a top tier football match is not a singular feat of athleticism, but the demand on players to deliver intense physical performance for 9 months of the year isn't realistic and injury is inevitable.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Football players get zero sympathy from fans here over the number of games (e.g. pay me 100 grand a week and I'd be out there every day lad) but you are clearly correct, and actually it must hurt the game as a spectacle. Pure athletes like GT cyclists or track runners will train their condition to peak for literally 1 or 2 events per year, yet a top prem football player is expected to produce in 50 or 60 games a year.

Obv not a clear apples to apples comparison, as even a top tier football match is not a singular feat of athleticism, but the demand on players to deliver intense physical performance for 9 months of the year isn't realistic and injury is inevitable.
Its not different from a leading NBA team where they might be required to play 110 games in an 8 month season.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
This "tournament" is not a real tournament. I doubt anyone on any of the teams really considers it all that important to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Yeah, I don't know anyone that thinks it's important. I am curious, though, if that'll change as time goes on.
It’s a real tournament, with real finals and real medals and trophies at the end. Not a WC or continental championship, but it’s still more intense than a friendly.

Last edited by AK84; 06-09-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Friend of Cecil

England-Switzerland: acknowledging that it is taking place is giving it too much attention. This game is as exciting as watching 9-year-olds play, when none of them are your kids, and all kids were force-fed a loaf of bread right before the game. Except that’d be more exciting, as you could bet on which kid pukes next. No one wants this game.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Friend of Cecil

Well, Portugal deservedly won their match against Holland. That said, the Dutch were by no means played off the pitch. There are three different types of Portugal teams: 1- Ronaldo doesn’t feel it that day. 2- Ronaldo is on, and the rest of them watch him do it. And then there’s type 3: Ronaldo is on, Silva and Guedes are showing stuff, and the rest is keeping up. Tonight was the latter.
Holland well back on their way to being a contender.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 AM

CR7 fans are recent converts to the International Footie is the pinnacle of the game, and like all new converts their zeal is amazing.

Anyone have any idea why they converted?