Old 06-03-2019, 01:03 PM

More Superstar picks up on the network, those of Zelina Vega. Of course one of the matches is Aleister Black vs. Andrade.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:28 PM

Her heart on a pole match?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 AM

WWE has been an absolute dud this week. PROMO PROMO PROMO WE'RE SUCKING ARAB OIL-DRENCHED COCK! SHANE! ROMAN! SHANE! ROMAN! RETIRED GUYS! MORE SHANE! MORE ROMAN! Brock Brock Brock Brock Brooooock - AEW cannot debut their show soon enough.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM

Make fun of WWE for the Saudi deal all you want, they're making 100 million or whatever dollars from it and I would hesitate to think any business in the world would say no to that.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Make fun of WWE for the Saudi deal all you want, they're making 100 million or whatever dollars from it and I would hesitate to think any business in the world would say no to that.
Depends on the backlash the business would get from the fact that it has to put a giant "No Women Allowed okay, except maybe the boss's wife and/or daughter, but try and stand in a corner or something" sign on the ring - and why do I have the feeling that, if there's a pre-show, then (a) it will be hosted from Stamford, and (b) because that's the only way that any women can be involved with it?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Yes, I know, money talks, but hardly ever to me.

It just sucks they think the reason they're dipping in ratings is because the newer talent isn't catching on and they have to unearth the dinosaurs. The people I want to see are being buried under promos, and they further insult my intelligence by announcing the location as just "Jeddah," and they quietly exclude the women's division and any talent with contentious national origins. Pandering to the Saudis is becoming "business as usual" and the same 7-8 big names are getting 75% of air time, just like the bad old days.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

In other international news, here's the full card for Dominion, NJPW's second-biggest show of the year, which airs live from Osaka this Sunday at 3 AM Eastern/Midnight Pacific;

* IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Chris Jericho
* IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
* IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship: Dragon Lee (c) vs. Will Ospreay
* IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. SANADA & EVIL
* NEVER Openweight Championship: Taichi (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii
* CHAOS (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, & Ryusuke Taguchi) vs. Bullet Club (Jay White, Chase Owens, & Taiji Ishimori)
* Yoshi-Hashi & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.
* Satoshi Kojima vs. Shingo Takagi
* Jon Moxley vs. Shota Umino

I'm not familiar with everyone on the card, but all in all this is a pretty stacked show. Okada vs. Jericho especially ought to be electric. Satoshi Kojima is a legend in Japan and a former NWA world champion, and he should be a delight to watch. Moxley is now the IWGP United States champion after beating Juice Robinson earlier this week, but his fight is a non-title match as I don't believe Young Lions are allowed to compete for championships.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-07-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:32 AM

funn that y they'll do more with 10 matches than WWE can do with 30 these days .....
Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Y'know, I DID predict that Mansoor would be the breakout star out of the group of Suadi newbs last year.

Although I thought he was going to turn out to be more like Miz.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

This show wasn't offensively bad like Crown Jewel was, but it was mediocre at best, and nobody's really going to remember it a year from now. I'll give it a 5/10.

I'm much more looking forward to Dominion, and I still haven't decided if I want to get a ticket for Stomping Grounds since the card doesn't sound too impressive.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 PM

What's the over-under on Mansour defeating Block Lesnar for the Universal Title at a Saudi event if they pay Vince and Brock enough money?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
What's the over-under on Mansour defeating Block Lesnar for the Universal Title at a Saudi event if they pay Vince and Brock enough money?
Brock: "So the check cleared, right? And I don't have to stay the night or talk to anybody? Great. Let's do this."
Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM

the Goldberg/ Undertaker match was getting trashed on social media as worst match of the year .... apparently taker and berg were wrestling stiff and messed up a bunch of stuff .......https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/un...ear/ar-AACy8C5

Last edited by nightshadea; 06-07-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Goldberg likely concussed himself early on. Goldberg couldn't do his spots nor help a gassed Undertaker hit his. They nearly killed each other. Match was booked too long for these dinosaurs to begin, but they both should have known to finish early. Too much ego from both of them, thinking they could go long and then not adapting.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Goldberg was already bleeding when he left his dressing room. Word is his entrance took longer than normal because they had a doctor check him out first.

Must’ve headbutted the door again. Doing the same to the steel post, then getting spiked by Taker probably didn’t help. Of course he then almost killed Taker with that brain buster jackhammer.

Not a good way to remember either of them.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

KENTA, the former Hideo Itami, just debuted in New Japan.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 PM

Some factoids about Mansoor:
  • He trained under Dory Funk, and performed in the Indies as Manny Faberino.
  • He was born in Saudi Arabia, but moved to California at an early age, so the "native son" label is skin deep.
  • He was a nerd who wanted to be a wrestling producer at first, but the promos Daniel Bryan gave during his abused underdog phase inspired Manny to get in the ring.
It's kind of like discovering that Ivan Koloff and Abdullah the Butcher were actually from Canada. Kind of deflates the mystique.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 PM

Baron Corbin, top heel on RAW.
Shane McMahon, top heel on Smackdown.

Ratings dropping like a stone.

I thought they said they were going to listen to the fans.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When they said "fans", what they meant was "Saudi billionaires who aren't interested in anyone who debuted in this century".

AEW can't start its weekly show soon enough.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-12-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 PM

I must say, I'm loving R-Truth with his 24/7 European championship, and Bray Wyatt with the Firefly Fun House.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I must say, I'm loving R-Truth with his 24/7 European championship, and Bray Wyatt with the Firefly Fun House.
These have been the only things worth consistently watching, due entirely to R-Truth and Bray Wyatt. Samoa Joe is consistently good, but he's given far too little. I was discussing this with friends the other day, and the problem isn't the writers. It's the writers writing to an audience of one, who's going to rewrite things anyway, and fearing for their jobs because they know they'll be the scapegoats.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Baron Corbin, top heel on RAW.
Shane McMahon, top heel on Smackdown.

Ratings dropping like a stone.

I don't know what it is about Baron. He's doing everything on the heel checklist, but he doesn't have the chutzpah.

Drew McEntyre and Bobbie Lashley are good heels because they're big and scary. KO and Zayn are good heels because they're obnoxious weasels. Corbin is a tattooed mannequin who recites scripts.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:21 PM

Yeah. Drew McIntyre, Kevin Owens, and/or Sami Zayn should be the ones competing for Seth Rollins' Universal Title; not Corbin.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Sign that LU is dead...

Jeff Cobb, formerly Matanza of LU, was making his entrance for the 4 Corners match in the latest ep of RoH. Matt Taven, world champ of RoH and Cobb's future opponent, was guest commentator. Main commentator Ian Riccaboni said "Here comes your opponent for <insert PPV here>." Taven replied "Aw, he's adorable. He's my little Hawaiian Buddha."

OK, so Matanza was officially killed in LU, he was a village-slaying mad beast who had to be locked in a prison underneath the Aztec temple between matches. Now he's a little Hawaiian Buddha.

I am such a wrestling continuity nerd.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, well last weekend at House of Hardcore 55, Lucha Dragon was just 2 tables away from Johnny Mundo and Taya Valkyrie, who had killed LD. LD was sharing a table with Joey Ryan, who was jealous (work) when I told Luchasaurus his was the best match that show.

In other news no one cares about, Melissa Santos is really short, like Selina Vega short or shorter. And she was sporting a knee brace and couldn't wear heels. The size difference between her and Cage is huge.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I don't know what it is about Baron. He's doing everything on the heel checklist, but he doesn't have the chutzpah.
It's the suit and the authority backing thing. The took the Lone Wolf, stripped him of his gear and turned him into Corporate Lackey #614. Just another bald guy in a suit standing in the way of [Current Champion].

I think his voice doesn't help. He just doesn't have the right timber of voice. He always sounds like the guy who is telling you he's going to kick your ass - to get you to back off - while hoping you don't call his bluff and hurt him.

Its certainly obvious by now that he's not helping anything in the ratings. He needs to go back to the midcard, get tweaked and built back up.

If anything, farking pull the trigger on McIntyre now. Give him the run against Seth Rollins and something of a coherent, non-authority driven story and see what they can do with it.

Last edited by Chimera; 06-15-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Happy Father's Day!

Pete Dunne teaching his kid to eat fingers.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 06-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:49 PM

World of Sport wrestling has been making its appearance in cable sports channels. It's a UK fed that was brought back a few years ago. Jeff Jarrett is executive producer, and it does resemble TNA in its prime. The first season was put together in 2018, and they've been showing reruns.

Stu (formerly Wade) Barrett poses as the (mostly) heel owner/authority figure, and he does commentary along with SoCal Val (formerly of TNA) and Alex Shane, who sounds exactly like Drake Maverick. I recognized British Bulldog Jr. and Grado, as well as Kip Sabian, who's now in AEW. Piper Niven, who's now in NXT UK, wore all black and went as Viper.

It's pretty good. They don't mention "British Strong Style" like they do in NXT UK. It's meant to be family friendly, but it doesn't overdo the smarminess. There's plenty of action and good booking. One wrestler who stood out was Crater. He's a big fat dude in a mask, but he acts like a horror movie villain. He stays absolutely still until he makes his move. He had a handicap match against two smaller guys, but he didn't enter the ring at first. He stood outside the ring while the other two opponents worked, then when they both went down, he reached in, pulled one out, and smashed him on the floor. He then slipped inside the ring and threw the other one around until both opponents finally got to team up on him. He grabbed them both in a double chokeslam and then stacked one on top of the other and splashed them for the win. He didn't try to prove himself by making lucha moves or anything. I googled his real name and found out he works as an investment banker in his other life.

Another bloke I liked was Joe Hendry. He poses as a Michael Bubly-type pop star and sings his own entrance music. He worked a submission match against the villainous Martin Kirby, who had betrayed him in a tag match the week before. It was a classic dirty cheating heel vs the by-the-rules babyface, and they pulled it off.

The commentary team was excellent. Bennett knows how to tell a story, Alex Maverick called all the action crisply, and SoCal Val did color and didn't take any of Bennett's crap. I hope they get to make another season.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Here's an interesting article about Nyla Rose, the first openly transgender wrestler signed by a major U.S. promotion, who participated in AEW's first women's match, a fatal four-way also involving the legendary Awesome Kong.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:42 AM

Stomping Grounds predictions, because you know, no one really gives a shit about this show.

Seth Rollins vs. Baron Corbin

Are you serious? Is there anyone who wants to see Baron win or any purpose that it would serve? What is even the point of this match? Baron is an occasional upper midcarder at best. The guy who only has IC and US title reigns to set up to drop it to a different face.

Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler

Same here. No real purpose by having Ziggler win and it doesn't help either of them to pull the belt off Kofi.

Becky Lynch vs. Lacey Evans

Notice the repeating pattern here? Lacy isn't taking the title and I give it a 50-50 that there's a finish to the match at all. Charlotte is going to come in and beat up Becky when Becky has Lacey beaten.

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss

Can't put the title on Bliss, who has concussion issues and no reason to take it off Bayley. Bayley wins or gets close to winning in a match that protects Bliss and then Nikki Cross interferes, setting up a Bayley-Nikki feud with Bliss involved.

Samoa Joe vs. Ricochet

Joe kills Ricochet, who fills the Rey Mysterio spot of the high flyer who can occasionally win the big one but frequently gets dropped by monsters. I'd love to see Joe beat down Ric until Black comes out and kicks his ass, leading to a Aleister Black - Samoa Joe feud for the title. But I don't have any expectation of that happening.

Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre

Romanwinslol. But I'd rather McIntyre win and get a run. Unfortunately, he's associated with Shane and that means his title reign would be dominated by other people's stories and promos.

Daniel Bryan & Rowan vs. Heavy Machinery

Bryan & Rowan. Vince has reduced Heavy Machinery to the Comedy B Squad, not a credible threat.

The New Day vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

Pre-show match. KO & Sami win.

If AoP are back, it is possible they interfere in one of the two matches above and kill everyone to make a big impression.

Tony Nese vs. Akira Tozawa vs. Drew Gulak

Dunno. I'm going to go with Nese retaining.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 AM

I skipped it.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I skipped it.
This was literally my first opportunity ever to attend a WWE PPV. This was the first PPV they ran in the Seattle metroplex since 2011, and the first since I started following wrestling again as an adult. Even though I don't have a car right now, I could've literally just hopped on the bus that stops three doors down from my house, rode to the downtown transit center, hopped on the Tacoma express, ridden to the Dome, seen the show, got back on the bus, and been home before 10.

I didn't bother, because the card was that uninteresting to me and so predictable to boot. The sad thing is that the Crazy Old Man will probably blame the local audience for the low attendance, and it'll be another 10 years before we get another PPV up here.

In better news, AEW Fyter Fest is this Saturday! It's going to be streaming live for free on B/R Live, and I presume the replay will also be free.

Here's the card;

* The Elite (Kenny Omega & the Young Bucks) vs. Pentagon Jr., Fenix, & the Laredo Kid
* Jon Moxley vs. Joey Janela
* Cody Rhodes vs. Darby Allin
* Fatal 4-way; Hangman Page vs. MJF vs. Jimmy Havoc vs. Jungle Boy
* Triple threat: Nyla Rose vs. Riho vs. Yuka Sakazaki
* Christopher Daniels vs. CIMA
* Hardcore rules: Michael Nakazawa vs. Alex Jebailey
* Triple threat tag, winning team gets a first-round bye in the AEW World Tag Team Championship tournament; SCU (Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky) vs. Private Party (Marq Quen & Isiah Kassidy) vs. the Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent Beretta)

I've had the opportunity to see Darby Allin live in our local indy, and he's a freak of nature, so his match with Cody ought to be amazing. Oughta be a good show overall.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-24-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:09 AM

I saw Darby too this past fall at an EVOLVE show, but he didn't exactly wow me. It might have been the way the match was booked, because he was up against Adam Cole and acted more the victim jobber role. Maybe it was tour burnout. I'm sure he'll step it up with Cody.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Stomping Grounds was better than expected. Not good, but the crowd was hot even with the half empty arena, and the matches were okay. I hope they concluded some feuds. Time to retire the Corbin, Evans, and Ziggler feuds. They did their jobs of establishing the champions post-WrestleMania. Now we can set up SummerSlam with feuds where there is an actual chance of a title change. I just hope that it isn't Shane.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:28 AM

I agree that the event was a solid B or B- at worst. If the show seemed worse than it was it's because the crowd was absolutely abysmal. I hate wrestling fans sometimes because no one knows how to ruin a good thing like a wrestling fan.

It's been said before, but the constant nicknames are driving me up the wall. The Sassy Southerner? Give me a break...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
In better news, AEW Fyter Fest is this Saturday! It's going to be streaming live for free on B/R Live, and I presume the replay will also be free.

Here's the card;

* The Elite (Kenny Omega & the Young Bucks) vs. Pentagon Jr., Fenix, & the Laredo Kid
I just heard that anybody who thinks that KO has any business being in a wrestling ring has to hand in their Jim Cornette Burger Towel. Apparently, the Louisville Limp ("Big Bubba, you had one job at Starrcade '86 - catch Cornette when he falls from the scaffold") has a problem with Omega from when he wrestled a 9-year-old girl and a blow-up doll.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 AM

I like Cornette, but he needs to get his mind out of the 80's. He's probably frustrated that all the things he busted his ass to do for wrestling are no longer necessary. He's done his fair share of silliness, like getting his face shoved into wedding cakes and getting beat up by women. I guess today's silliness isn't old school enough for him.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Time to retire the Corbin, Evans, and Ziggler feuds.

You'd certainly think so given the ratings and fan reactions, right?

You'd be wrong. They're going to drag out the Corbin/Evans thing another month.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You'd certainly think so given the ratings and fan reactions, right?

You'd be wrong. They're going to drag out the Corbin/Evans thing another month.
And Reigns/McIntyre. Who's Wheaties did Drew piss in? When was the last time he got a significant win?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
They're going to drag out the Corbin/Evans thing another month.
Should've heard Dave LaGreca on SiriusXM's Busted Open show yesterday. He went absolutely ballistic (makes his "New Jersey Isn't New York!" bit seem well-composed by comparison) when somebody called in and said that Corbin doesn't have "heel heat" but "go away heat" (i.e. they're not booing him because they want him to lose; they're booing him because he's there in the first place).
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They're going to drag out the Corbin/Evans thing another month.
Quote:
And Reigns/McIntyre. Who's Wheaties did Drew piss in? When was the last time he got a significant win?
It almost feels as if they've given up on advancing these storylines and have just decided to let them feud in place indefinitely while they wait for the move to Fox.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Vince's newest off-the-cuff spur-of-the-moment edict has made things worse once again. Every other match is 2-out-of-3 falls, or they switch it midway (tag team match becomes 8 man tag), or last night AJ pauses the match until Gallows & Anderson leave. Going to rest holds (but enough tope suicidas please) was a better flow option, better than the start and stop. HHH should get Vince involuntarily committed. Vince needs to step away from the creative, but he won't as long as he is breathing.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Vince's newest off-the-cuff spur-of-the-moment edict has made things worse once again. Every other match is 2-out-of-3 falls, or they switch it midway (tag team match becomes 8 man tag), or last night AJ pauses the match until Gallows & Anderson leave. Going to rest holds (but enough tope suicidas please) was a better flow option, better than the start and stop. HHH should get Vince involuntarily committed. Vince needs to step away from the creative, but he won't as long as he is breathing.
The sad thing is that Lucha Underground proved you can do a match without commercial interruptions if you do longer breaks further apart, but WWE is so addicted to advertiser money that they can't help but break for another round of Popeye's ads every five minutes. I can only imagine how bogged down the product must now feel for the live audience who has to watch the action grind to a halt for no reason every couple minutes.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:55 PM

You know what would really piss me off, if I was live in attendance for a WWE show?

They don't use the TitanTron to actually show the matches! They just have the RAW/SmackDown/PPV logo on it, and the video packages. Well, what if my seats aren't all that good?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 PM

So does this mean no more 60-minute battle royals on TV, no more 25 minute classics, Just 5-8 minute matches to fit them between commercial breaks?

That would be epic levels of stupid.

I only got two matches wrong for Stomping Grounds. KO & Sami beat New Day and the put a title on Ricochet. I'm quite ok with those choices. I'm just still wondering where the fuck Aleister Black is. Not using him doesn't make a lick of sense.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera
So does this mean no more 60-minute battle royals on TV, no more 25 minute classics, Just 5-8 minute matches to fit them between commercial breaks?

That would be epic levels of stupid.

I only got two matches wrong for Stomping Grounds. KO & Sami beat New Day and the put a title on Ricochet. I'm quite ok with those choices. I'm just still wondering where the fuck Aleister Black is. Not using him doesn't make a lick of sense.
Got those two wrong also along w/ the Cruiserweight Triple Threat.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 AM

Wait, WHAT?

Quote:
On that same show, Meltzer also indicated the reason Baron Corbin is getting pushed the way he is is that Vince McMahon thinks women swoon over guys like him.
Who "swoons" these days? I don't recall hearing any women squeal for him when he appears. Maybe because they're too busy swooning.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 AM

I haven't been watching nearly as much as usual because I've had extracurriculars that just so happened to be on Mondays and Tuesdays, so I didn't ask "Yo, where is Black?" because I figured I just missed him.

Are they really not using him?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 AM

They've been having vignettes of him on Smackdown where he existentially struggles with nobody taking him up on his open challenge. In the last one, there was a knock on his door. Dirt sheets say he's going to take on Cesaro at Extreme Rules.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
They've been having vignettes of him on Smackdown where he existentially struggles with nobody taking him up on his open challenge. In the last one, there was a knock on his door. Dirt sheets say he's going to take on Cesaro at Extreme Rules.
Which makes him look extremely stupid, since everyone knows you challenge people for their titles and otherwise go out and seek opponents, not sit in a dressing room like Mojo Rawley talking to a mirror.