Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 PM

Agreed, that's definitely how it reads. Absolutely nothing about it reads ungenuine.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Two-word summary of "Can't Go Back":

Poor Lapis.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
I don't think PD created the persona of Rose Quartz to lead a rebellion. I think she started becoming Rose Quartz to escape a Diamond's constrained life, to see how other Gem behaved when they were not in her exalted presence, and to explore her new Colony. Over time, she realized that she didn't like being a Diamond, realized that many Gems were unhappy in their roles, and came to love life on Earth. Then she decided to use her already-established Rose Quartz persona to start the rebellion.
If so then I am a bit disappointed as the royal taking on a secret identity to explore life as a commoner and to escape the constraints of a royal existence, therein learning more than they bargained for, is so horribly ... overdone ... of a cliche. I look for more from this writing team than overdone cliches and I think there is more to PD/Rose than that.

Part of the greatness of this show is that they are embracing the essential complex flaws and deficits of the characters, especially of those who are most looked as its heroes, or at least as the most sympathetic ones. They tend to avoid the cliches.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 PM

There's a difference between being flawed, which is what Rose is, and being a complete monster, which is what you're proposing she is.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 PM

You think that is what I am proposing she is?

Not in my head anyway.

I see PD starting as a brat. Wanting a world of her own but once given it not wanting to do the work. Figuring a little faux rebellion would get the others, Yellow and Blue, to excuse her not getting much done and created Rose for that purpose. As a Diamond her perspective was that gems below her were pretty expendable and organics not worth anything. That was what she knew. But as Rose she began to come into her own, to develop her own desires, her own beliefs, other than doing what Blue and Yellow did and being jealous of them, saw beauty and value in the organics, value in gems of lower status, became attached to Pearl (who again I think has more story to tell than just having been PD's Pearl, "her function" is/was more/other than that, I think), and came up with the plan, a very immature, foolish, maybe a bit romantic and naive, and ultimately tragic, plan, that was intended to result in her and Pearl living unbeknownst to Blue and Yellow on a planet that was not worth the effort.

And then she lived the lie, forced Pearl to live the lie too, always a bit sad, maybe a bit self-loathing.

To me that is not "a complete monster", it is a character of tragedy, and it is more interesting to me than the cliche.

The kicker of course is that killing her PD/Rose persona off to create a PD-human hybrid containing her essence, her gem, is, we presume, ultimately redemption. As a gem-human hybrid Steven can fuse with Connie and gems. And if my wild speculation is correct, and White is the fusion of Blue, Yellow, and Pink (and note that blue yellow and red/pink light make white light), with Pearl's function to serve that fusion, then ultimate redemption will be Steven bringing human into that WD fusion as well, with Pearl's function then being made more clear as a final reveal.

Last edited by DSeid; 06-26-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 PM

Coming back to "A Single Pale Rose". Even discounting the big whammy reveal, it was a very effective episode. I'm glad the crew didn't use the "Inside Out" method of having the different Pearls inside her head represent Pearl's emotions or different parts of her personality.

There are plenty of videos out there on Youtube stating that the show is contradicting itself and past continuity by the big reveal, but in a board-driven show with a huge amount of episodes (close to 150), there is no way to keep everything completely tight in the continuity. I know some fans who have dropped the show, saying that Sugar had no idea where the show was going and that she pulled the big reveal out of nowhere, a la Lost or Battlestar Galactica. I don't know where people come up with this, because it's pretty obvious in hindsight that the Crew has had this in mind from almost the beginning.

If you rewatch earlier episodes dealing with Rose or Pearl in light of the fact that Rose is Pink Diamond, there is a lot you will notice in hindsight. I'm not going to compile a full list, but here a few.

-Rose/Steven's impressive power set makes more sense now that we know Rose was just not a simple quartz.
-It also explains why Rose's shield could resist the Corruption Wave.
-Ever wonder why Pearl got so upset that Rose kept secrets from her in "Rose's Scabbard"? Now we know.
-In the same ep, Rose is actually being literal when she calls Pearl "my Pearl"
-In "We Need to Talk", Rose thinks it's a good thing that Greg knows nothing about her past. Also,"I'm not a real person?!"
-In "Sworn to the Sword", we see flashbacks of Pearl getting poofed multiple times while interceding in Rose's fights. She knew that if Rose was poofed, the game was up as everyone would see PD's gem.

Finally, Eyeball of all people was right on the money. In "Bubbled", Eyeball told Steven that his gem was not a Rose Quartz gem.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I see PD starting as a brat. Wanting a world of her own but once given it not wanting to do the work. Figuring a little faux rebellion would get the others, Yellow and Blue, to excuse her not getting much done and created Rose for that purpose.
See, this is what I'm saying is completely monstrous - the idea that she got Gems shattered not as an unintended side effect of accomplishing a goal, but deliberately, to justify failing to accomplish anything.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:34 PM

1) In my version it was supposed to be faux, and was at first. No one was supposed to get hurt.
2) In my version PD at that point did not see lower status gems as of much importance anyway.
3) At what point did gems get shattered rather than poofed? I think after the fake death and by a time at which she had become committed to the rebellion for real.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
1) In my version it was supposed to be faux, and was at first. No one was supposed to get hurt.
2) In my version PD at that point did not see lower status gems as of much importance anyway.
3) At what point did gems get shattered rather than poofed? I think after the fake death and by a time at which she had become committed to the rebellion for real.

As for 3), the battle at the Strawberry Battlefield involved lots of shattering and was relatively early in the Rebellion, being the first major pitched battle of the Rebellion. There's no exact timeline, but PD's "shattering" happened relatively late in the Rebellion.

You need to rewatch Rose's conversation between Rose & Pearl in "Roses's Scabbard" again and see how that it plays out with your little scenario.

However, what really doesn't make any sense is your assertion that Pink Diamond started the Crystal Gems because she was lazy and running the Earth Colony was too much work. Blue Diamond told Pink point-blank in "Can't Go Back" that Pink didn't need to do anything to establish the Earth colony and defeat the rebellion. All she had to do was be a symbol and her Court and her Gems would have taken care of everything. But your Pink Diamond, who has an aversion to hard work, thought it would actually be easier and less effort to create a fake identity and live a double life, recruit hundreds, if not thousands, of Gems, and manage both sides of a war that ran for hundreds of years.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 AM

If so, and you are a more serious viewer than I am, then it is both disappointing that they have gone with the bored royal wanting to see how her subjects lived and maybe what they thought of her cliche, and simultaneously sets up PD/Rose as much more monstrous than my speculative version does.

The read I had imagined a PD/Rose who never intended for it to go so far as gems getting shattered forever. Was horrified at the idea of creating a weapon (Breaking Point) that was intended to shatter.

In the version you see PD/Rose sets in motion an intended to be real rebellion with gems getting shattered, not just poofed, early on. With what thought then that would happen as a result, even as a best case? Did she have any thought as to how that would play out? Was she just sacrificing gems, both those who she was able to convince to join her Rose persona and those who were following her orders as PD, thinking that such would give her cover to retreat from the planet, and that having this battle on the planet with the shattering of gems following her commands on both sides was the best/only way to protect the life on Earth that she had come to love?

I can see a character being too scared to stand up to Blue and Yellow as Pink and creating a fictional persona to do it for her, which then goes too far and plays out in an unintended tragic manner, as one to have some sympathy for. One who instead uses a fictional persona otherwise created (to just not be so bored/constrained as a royal) to intentionally implement a war that is resulting in the shattering of gems under her command on both sides, because she is too afraid to strongly make the case as herself, as PD, that the world and its organics are worth saving? Was only upset at the idea of the Breaking Point weapon because it could possibly really shatter Diamonds like her?

That character crosses from tragic to monstrous.

Last edited by DSeid; 07-01-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I have read zero of this thread and am unspoiled.

I watched the first five of these last night and am wondering. Is this how the show is? I loved Avatar(TLA) and Gravity Falls, but this was a lot different. Kind of...hard to explain. I can't put into words how I felt about it.

Steven was actually kind of annoying. Is he always this way or am I just wrong?

I'm going to continue tonight for sure and I want to love the show. I was just surprised by the ADD-ishness of it. With 11 minute episodes, how do they ever develop anything?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I have read zero of this thread and am unspoiled.

I watched the first five of these last night and am wondering. Is this how the show is? I loved Avatar(TLA) and Gravity Falls, but this was a lot different. Kind of...hard to explain. I can't put into words how I felt about it.

Steven was actually kind of annoying. Is he always this way or am I just wrong?

I'm going to continue tonight for sure and I want to love the show. I was just surprised by the ADD-ishness of it. With 11 minute episodes, how do they ever develop anything?
Amazingly they develop A LOT.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 AM

As this week's releases continue they right off confirmed that indeed it was the bored royal trope. And my thought of Pearl having a more special story? Wrong.

A bit just brushing over how PD/Rose tried to "scare" the gems off the planet (By herself? Gems would more scared of a Rose who never shattered them than of the Diamonds' wrath? Blue and Yellow would run away from Rose?) And the fact that her lies got many gems shattered and corrupted following her commands. And giving her a pass on how hard she tried to convince Blue and Yellow to not develop the planet. Just refusing did not occur to her?

The Crystal Gems team, Steven inclusive, is being way too easy on her.

Disappointing.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
A bit just brushing over how PD/Rose tried to "scare" the gems off the planet (By herself? Gems would more scared of a Rose who never shattered them than of the Diamonds' wrath? Blue and Yellow would run away from Rose?) And the fact that her lies got many gems shattered and corrupted following her commands. And giving her a pass on how hard she tried to convince Blue and Yellow to not develop the planet. Just refusing did not occur to her?
Pearl explained all of this. You're just apparently unwilling to accept her explanation.

Pink Diamond wasn't trying to "scare" the Gems off planet; she was trying to make things too troublesome to continue the colonization effort. Pearl specifically states that if Pink Diamond had refused to proceed with the colonization, the other Diamonds would have just taken things out of her control and continued on.

At the time that Pink Diamond pretended to be shattered by Rose Quartz, Pink and Pearl were the entire rebellion. It wasn't until Garnet showed up that the other Crystal Gems joined up. So her lies were only risking herself and Pearl, up until the point where the Diamonds escalated it to an all-out war, by which point it was irrelevant what she was lying about; the war was on, and the Crystal Gems were risking being shattered regardless. From what we've seen of the corruption, Rose either didn't know about it or didn't expect the Diamond Authority would actually use it.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Sorry but you are simply wrong.

Just rewatched - no line that if Pink Diamond had refused to proceed with the colonization, the other Diamonds would have just taken things out of her control and continued on. Just that "her status meant nothing to them."

The next line was exactly: "So she decided to make a stand as someone they couldn't ignore. She was going to scare every gem off the planet."

So let's stop there for a second. How was Rose going to be "someone they couldn't ignore" and "scare every gem off the planet"? How was she going to be scarier than the prospect of facing the Diamonds.

As noted by bmoak above and reinforced today in "Made of Honor" ... Pink's "shattering" occurred fairly late in the game, well after many gems had been shattered and corrupted. No, at the time that Pink Diamond pretended to be shattered by Rose Quartz, Pink and Pearl were NOT the entire rebellion. Garnet, Pearl, Bismuth, and all the many now shattered and corrupted, were there or already destroyed. The Breaking Point was intended to shatter Pink Diamond. That was why Bismuth had to be bubbled. Other gems being shattered? Oh well. So sad.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:46 AM

My disappointment aside I am still very much looking forward to tonight's episode "Reunited" as the promos make it fairly clear that there are to be some uninvited guests at the wedding.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Still un-spoiled, but through all of season 1.

Yeah, so I'd say it took around 30 episodes before I began to consider this a very good show. I was not a huge fan of Steven in the beginning, but by the end of the 50+ episode season, he really matured and became a better character. In many ways, his innocence is one of the best things in the show.

I'm looking forward to future seasons a lot more now.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Caught up today, seen every episode that has aired.

Good show, not my favorite of all time. I thought both Avatar and Gravity Falls were quite a bit better. Still, SU improved a lot and I really find that I like Steven a lot now. Good show, pretty neat.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Amazingly they develop A LOT.
Yes, you were right.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 AM

So what does everyone think? Are we in the final stretch, moving toward a conclusion, or will the mystery of White Diamond create a new story arc? Will Yellow and Blue accept Steven, or will we be seeing a new gem civil war?
Personally, I'm hoping they do a Wall*E ending, with a montage of Gems and humans living and working together in Beach City, with all kinds of couples and fusion, and maybe even new hybrids, with an iris out on Steven and Connie, now adults, watching the sunset with their new baby.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
So what does everyone think? Are we in the final stretch, moving toward a conclusion, or will the mystery of White Diamond create a new story arc?
Well... SDCC reveal
Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM

So has everyone seen "Legs from here to Homeworld" yet? Is it up for discussion?
Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
So has everyone seen "Legs from here to Homeworld" yet? Is it up for discussion?
I have now.

Out of caution I'll spoiler.
SPOILER:
I thought it would be longer until they revealed WD. Sorry to be wrong that she is not a fusion of the other three but she seems very ... off. Unreal. Fake maybe? The WD Pearl has her gem in her belly? Not WD position head? And both the Pearl and WD have that stiff body with arms out. The very messed up WD Pearl's left side of her face? the other than Pearl voice? WD really seems to be just a head on a statue ... and BD and YD's ships at least are two arms ... PD's the waist down ... I'm not completely giving up on a sort of fusion of them to create a whole.

And how did homeworld (messed up looking isn't it) know they were coming?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

I've seen the new one they dropped on the app.

So.....

Is this show ending soon? I mean, do they have an endgame at this point? It feels like everything is building towards the end of the show.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:19 AM

When I imagined White Diamond, i considered many possibilities. Weary monarch, Disconnected Deity, Bloodthirsty tyrant....
I never thought that her persona would be "Brittle Midwestern housewife welcoming youngest daughter home after she finally gives up on art school"

That said, she's weird and scary. I doubt that she's what she seems. Her Pearl is creepy, and more like a holo-pearl than a real one. Do pearls decay with age? Maybe that's why she's cracked, she's the oldest Pearl?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 AM

DSeid quoth:
SPOILER:
And how did homeworld (messed up looking isn't it) know they were coming?

SPOILER:
There's a gem warship once owned by one of the four gem rulers that looks like a GIANT PAIR OF PINK LEGS, zooming toward Homeworld. Which is, itself, highly militarized. That was not exactly a stealthy approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is this show ending soon? I mean, do they have an endgame at this point? It feels like everything is building towards the end of the show.
There is at least one more season.

Which looks to be focusing on White Diamond... (and maybe sneeple.)

Last edited by Lightray; 07-24-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spoiler block doesn't work in quotes?
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 AM

New eps. Anyone else watching?

Frustrating to have it in such small drips ...
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
New eps. Anyone else watching?

Frustrating to have it in such small drips ...
Waiting a bit so I can have a few to throw on in a row.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 AM

My cable box crapped out over the holidays, and I'm going to drop cable rather than pay for a new one, so I have to figure out how to watch the show.

These Homeworld episodes have shown some very unsettling things and the latest episode pretty much dashed any hopes off Steven getting Homeworld to change by convincing White Diamond or forming an empathic bond with the Diamonds.

There's also a lot of little things to watch for that will probably need a re-watch. For example, the drawings on Pink Diamond's vanity mirror have some interesting implications. And, of course, there are Blue Pearl and Yellow Pearl.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM

So now a two week hiatus, then an hour movie and then?

Probably a good place to unpack these appetizers.

They've aired so I'm not sure that spoiler box is needed but what the hey.
SPOILER:
I had been pretty sure WD would not come to the ball but feel like I should have seen Stevonnie and the immediate aftermath coming. Didn't though.

I'm thinking that White Pearl is broken not because of any abuse inflicted upon her by WD but as a reflection of how WD is broken (which I think many besides me assume she is in some way).

"Escapism" is a lot to unpack. Obviously every Steven interaction with the watermelon people in his image has had an impact bringing them to a different level. Now he's taught them about boats and how to travel off island. How's that going to impact their cultural evolution, eh?

Of course the sad melonbird thud was disturbingly funny and the significance of each Steven statue is pretty clear. The getting us to expect his fighting the melonshark with the spear and instead loving it into leaving him be was a good twist.

Whereever he goes he ends up being disruptive to established norms, doesn't he?

I'm thinking the back up ends up being the whole rest of the team, not just Peridot and Lapace but Lars with the off-colors and maybe even Sadie insisting on coming along.

I'll miss this show when it is done but I am of mixed mind knowing that there will be a season six. I feel like they need to bring the arcs to some conclusions and not stretch it out too much farther.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Am I reading too much into it, or
SPOILER:
was anyone else bothered by Garnet's comment at the beginning of this arc that Steven would be fine? As in, just Steven?

Also,
SPOILER:
maybe someone will swing by the zoo and collect a few of the Famethyst as backups!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'll miss this show when it is done but I am of mixed mind knowing that there will be a season six. I feel like they need to bring the arcs to some conclusions and not stretch it out too much farther.
I watched the entire show this summer(not including the most recent episodes, obviously). I liked, but did not love it.

But I agree with you entirely. I would be well-served to just find a natural ending and pursue it. I'm kind of surprised it is coming back for more episodes after this current storyline.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Am I reading too much into it, or ...
Pretty sure it was meant to get us worried. Whether or not that is real foreshadowing or a head fake though? Another season is coming so I'm going with head fake.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 PM

On the other hand, I was worried Cartoon Network was pulling the plug and expected the Crew to wrap up all the loose threads in a handful of episodes and end with the movie. Since everyone was expecting a series conclusion that involved Steven using his empathy to talk out a solution with the Diamonds, now that that doesn't like like a possibility, I have no clue how the crew is going to bring the show to a conclusion, but I don't think it can be done in a handful of episodes.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 AM

So. "Change Your Mind."

I'd like to not have to use spoilers so for this post just seeing if posters have seen it yet.

My first spoiler-free reaction is that it didn't quite have the reveals I was hoping for. Fine but not as powerful as I have come to expect from the series.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 AM

Ach. I'll spoiler some initial thoughts.
SPOILER:
Glad they finished various plot lines but it seemed rushed, like a show that expected to have another season quickly finishing up, bringing a bunch of stuff all at once. After the dribs this was flying through.

New fusions so fast they couldn't really be appreciated.

The self-awareness and acceptance by the Diamonds was too quick and easy to the point of making these emotional transformations seem trite. Especially White's 180. "I'm not perfect? What do I do now? Oh I will follow the lead of the new Pink form and be all kumbaya! Because I blushed." Abusive parents and partners don't reform so easily. And their victims should have some trepidation about trusting them from there. It made the healing of broken families seem to be a quick thing if only we have enough empathy and self-love. Again, after the powerfulness of this series that seems trite.

Steven's pure gem form - any reason that it should be SO powerful as to brush off White's full power attacks? I can get that the initial attack was weakened by having spread some of her essence into the other gems but using all of them was a full attack and Gem-Steven just shrugged it away?

Still the fingernails removal of Steven's gem was a great and creepy bit.

I was kind of hoping that Connie would be needed for the final fusion, that the extended family strength was the bit that tipped the balance. But that is a minor complaint.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Finally got to watch it!

SPOILER:
  • I loved all the fusing that went on, but was mildly disappointed that we didn't get to see any Stevonnie fusions.
  • Definitely very rushed, but I'm glad they wrapped up most of the big loose ends. I'm still not buying that any of the Diamonds -- particularly White -- is fully reformed.
  • Unless Pink Stephen's demonstration of power was enough to wake her up? I took the blushing to indicate that some essence or something of Pink Stephen had seeped into White somehow. This was another area of the episode that was too rushed.
  • The gem removal was super creepy, but the split screen view afterward was neat.
  • If the pool party in the healing fountain with the Diamonds was supposed to heal all the corrupted gems, why does Jasper still have horns and a splotch?
  • The other Crystal Gems got spiffy new outfits, but Stephen is in the same clothes...does he have a new gem placement or orientation?
  • I was sort of sorry to see Stephen's Pink Diamond outfit go, especially the shoes.
  • Lars talked about Sadie so much that the Off-Colors couldn't wait to meet her. ^_^
Old 01-26-2019, 06:35 PM

SPOILER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
If the pool party in the healing fountain with the Diamonds was supposed to heal all the corrupted gems, why does Jasper still have horns and a splotch?
Several of the healed gems seem to have 'scars' from their corruption. Biggs and the Snow Monster are both Jaspers, and thus, presumably, didn't originally have horns (since none of the other Jaspers we've seen have), but still have them after they're uncorrupted.

There's a couple others who still strongly resemble their corrupted state (such as Watermelon Tourmaline, who used to be the Pufferfish), but cause and effect is less clear there, since we've never seen other uncorrupted versions of those gems, as far as we know, so they might be like the Nephrites/Centipeetles, and the elements are ones that came from their pre-corruption forms.

And, while I thought White Diamond coming around was awful abrupt, Yellow and Blue have been building toward this basically since their first encounter with Steven, so this is a culmination, not a sudden change. And White still seems to have trouble with it - she, unlike Yellow and Blue, seems to need to make an active effort to change, so I expect there'll be some more extreme backsliding with her, even with empathy installed. This is the end of the active conflict with the Diamonds, but only the start of White Diamond's redemption.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 PM

I’m not going to bother with a spoiler box-

This was a great episode, but I am inclined to agree with those who thought it was rushed. They could have had a whole season on homeworld doing a slow buildup. I am sure that the writers decided against it for good reason. Honestly, it works well enough for the narrative. If you start asking real questions, the whole thing falls apart anyway. (Why are gems so like humans psychologically when they have basically nothing in common with them physically? How would a civilization with citizens that require neither food nor water nor clothing or even waste disposal be remotely recognizable to us? How is it that Homeworld is so heavily militarized when they seem to have no organized enemies or even peers? What are all those guards guarding against, anyway?)

The whole episode is obviously a gift to the fans, giving us the kind of answers and closure we want, and a bunch of awesome gifts in the form of new fusions and uncorrupted gems. Is it just me, or is Sunstone basically a gem version of Poochie?

There’s a movie and another season to go, making me wonder where it’s going to go from here. I’d love it if it was just a bunch of low key episodes about Steven and the gang helping the new gems find their place on earth. For some reason I’m imagining Barb training Jasper to become her replacement mail lady.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I hadn't considered the 'scars' aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
SPOILER:

And, while I thought White Diamond coming around was awful abrupt, Yellow and Blue have been building toward this basically since their first encounter with Steven, so this is a culmination, not a sudden change.
I could see some growth with both of them, but for me I think it goes back to everything feeling so rushed. It would have been nice to have some stand-alone episodes with Blue and Yellow in particular, just to get a better feeling for their characters. (Would love to see their reaction to hot dogs...)

On a second viewing, I really liked the similarity between the Obsidian dance and the dance steps shown in the beginning of "Alone Together".
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I think I might stop watching now that I have caught up through "Change Your Mind".

I really think it is the ending the show built up to and was a fine wrap-up. I don't know why they would consider continuing on after this.

I watched all the episodes up to this new batch in July and have now watched the latest bunch and kind of feel cool with how it is concluded.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Very late to the the party.

Was “Change Your Mind” the best episode ever of Steven Universe? No. (That would be “Mindful Education”.) Was it the best finale for an animated show, I’ve seen? No. (Gravity Falls had a better ending.) However, it’s still a very good episode and season finale. It gives every indication that it was written as a series finale, as if the crew was uncertain there would be a sixth season. (And it is where Rebecca Sugar and the Crew planned to end the series when they plotted it out years ago.)

I was posting earlier in this thread that I was assuming that that the assumed Season 6 would be about dealing with White Diamond, because I didn’t see a way for Steven to reach all off the Diamonds and get a resolution in the few episodes that were left. I apparently didn’t keep a few things in mind.

-SU will stretch a storyline out over several episodes, but will resolve that storyline quickly, usually in one episode.

-Ever since we found out that all four Diamonds would be needed to reverse the corruption wave, I knew the show would end in a reconciliation, as there is no way the show would leave the gems corrupted

-Starting from “Legs From Here to Homeworld” and counting “Change Your Mind” as four episodes, this storyline took eight episodes, which is very long for SU. (I feel a lot fewer people would complain about the finale feeling “rushed” if it was divided into four parts and broadcast over four weeks.)

-My original thought was that Steven would persuade Blue and possibly Yellow to take his side, but would be unable to reach White, and that would be the main conflict for Season 6. However, with the Diamonds picking sides, that would like to a full-scale Gem civil war, which is the last thing Steven would want or participate in.

-Thinking about it, maybe White’s quick turnaround wasn’t so unnatural after all. Remember how she not only blushed pink, but the entire chamber developed a pink tinge? Remember how Blue and Yellow reacted to this? I don’t think the White reacted the way she did because Steven’s sick burn reply to her caused her to see the light. I think that Steven unconsciously used a Pink Diamond power on her, one that even Pink/Rose herself wasn’t aware of. Instead of projecting his own feelings onto White, which is Blue’s ability, I think Steven projected his empathy onto White. Since White had been living in her own head both literally and figuratively for 5,000 years, suddenly developing a sense of empathy would have been a huge shock for her.

-As the final stretch the show made crystal clear the Diamond Authority, and Homeworld itself, is modeled on an abusive family. Obviously, in the real world, abusive families and the trauma they inflict aren’t resolved so easily, but I can’t really blame this show for going for a happy resolution.

-On the other hand, a chunk of the online community seemed to think the point fo the show was overthrowing fascism, and since Steven did not overthrow the Diamond Authority, reform Homeworld, and dispense justice and vengeance, they took that to mean that show and Rebecca Sugar are objectively pro-fascist. Aren’t fandoms great?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 AM

A few points on “Change Your Mind”:

-White Diamond’s design, with the the thin linework except for the very thick lines for the eyes and mouth, looks very impressive in her chamber, where it looks like she is radiating light. It looks less impressive outside the chamber, especially with the scale issues of showing her in a shot.

-The part of the special that felt flattest to me was Connie’s talk to Yellow Diamond. I guess the writers wanted to give her something to do besides say “Steven!”

-That animated sequence where Steven and Pink Steven dance and reunite with each other? It was animated by none other than animation legend JAAAMES Baxter.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
(I feel a lot fewer people would complain about the finale feeling “rushed” if it was divided into four parts and broadcast over four weeks.)
That's very true - I've noticed how the pacing of release can affect the perception of the pacing of storytelling in other serialized stories - comic books and webcomics, particularly, though mostly in the other direction - something that feels tediously drawn out when it comes out on a monthly basis, or one page every two days, feels perfectly snappy when read in the collection or archives. (It's a common criticism of recent comics - writing to the trade.)

Even being a standard once-a-day Stevenbomb would probably have helped the perception of this being rushed.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:57 PM

So, the next question is, whither Season 6? I'm guessing that the season will start after some sort of time skip. It could be a skip of a few months, or a few years in the future, when Steven and Connie are old enough to drive the Dondai on their own. This way, the Crew can show how loose ends such as the Famethyst and the Zoomans were resolved as fait accompli, and catch up with how the uncorrupted Gems and Off-Colors hav e settled on Earth. I suspect that after catching up, the season will turn into a space adventure season, with Steven and the Gems having to help resolve some Homeworld issue.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 PM

As an aside, I'm really liking Craig of the Creek on Cartoon Network. It's still in its first season, but has dropped about 30 11-minute episodes, most or all of which should be on the app or On Demand.

I'm bringing it up in this this thread because the creators/showrunners are Ben Levin and Ben Burnett, who were until relatively recently the head writers of Steven Universe. (They helped plot out the show until "Change Your Mind".)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM

Saw Steven Univererse: Season 2 in the store the other day and picked it up. Other than the animatics for a bunch of episodes, there are no special features. I wish they would do some commentary tracks for the shows key episodes.

It comes in an oversized box, so they can fit a big, plushy keyring of original form Garnet in there.