Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 PM
LiveFree is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 182

I'm not a stalker


Tell me if you think these are stalking. A lady friend is upset at me and thinks I'm a stalker. The below is over the course of about 6 months.

An employee at the gym (John)....his father lost his job of about 35 years at one place. This lady wanted to do something nice for John and his family by getting them some gifts/gift certificates last Christmas. Before donating to it, I looked John up on Facebook to see about his family and what the father did for work at the company through the news story. I did NOTHING with the info and never looked any further.


Another employee at the gym recently lost her 50 yr. old brother. Wasn't sure how he died. So, I looked him up on Facebook to see what kind of guy he was. I did NOTHING with that afterwards.

I asked the lady friend about a older guy at the gym and if he was retired. She wasn't sure. She asked what his last name was, I said "Smith". I only know that because I could see the computer from the spin bike when he checked in. She asked his age, I said, "I'll tell you tomorrow". Tried to look it up, but his name is too common.

Lady friend asked what the real tall guy "Vern" did for a living. Said, I wasn't positive who he was. But saw him drive into the parking lot. License plate was VL-***. Not hard to look for local tax assessor records for "Vern L". Found him, found his Linkedin page. She asked me, I found out and told her. That's it. I think she set me up on this one.

I mentioned the lady friends age to her once, she didn't say anything, but apparently I was wrong.


She now calls me a stalker just because I looked these people up online. And it seems that our close friendship is not so close anymore. There is no stalking. This bothers me. I try to be a kind person and empathetic when needed. I don't follow people or bother anyone.

Your thoughts. Don't you occasionally look someone up online?
  #2  
Old 05-31-2018, 06:58 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 12,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post

Your thoughts. Don't you occasionally look someone up online?
This is all I found:


Quote:
Last Activity: Today 06:54 PM
Join Date: 03-17-2014
  #3  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:06 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,065
Looking up people online is fine. If it's publicly available information, you've not done anything anyone couldn't do, and otherwise you seem to be a very observant person who sees and notices things around you. That's not a bad thing.

OTOH, you may be lacking in social tact. If someone asks a question, you don't have to provide the answer just because you know. Just because you've gained this knowledge "innocently," I can see how it could have a stalkerish air if I started asking you questions about random people around the joint and you kept coming up with the answers.
  #4  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
This is all I found:
Not that I'm encouraging anything--on the contrary, nobody likes a stalker--but LiveFree's profile isn't exactly hiding who he is.

"Stalker" usually means to me that someone is looking up a lot of information about a single person, especially due to a lopsided emotional attachment to that person, whether it's sexual or hateful or both. I don't think that's what you're doing, LiveFree. But if I found out you were constantly doing things like license-plate lookups on people, I'd probably tease you a bit about it; and if you did it on me, I confess I'd be a tiny bit wigged out.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 05-31-2018 at 07:11 PM.
  #5  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 PM
LiveFree is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Not that I'm encouraging anything--on the contrary, nobody likes a stalker--but LiveFree's profile isn't exactly hiding who he is.

"Stalker" usually means to me that someone is looking up a lot of information about a single person, especially due to a lopsided emotional attachment to that person, whether it's sexual or hateful or both. I don't think that's what you're doing, LiveFree. But if I found out you were constantly doing things like license-plate lookups on people, I'd probably tease you a bit about it; and if you did it on me, I confess I'd be a tiny bit wigged out.
I didn't actually look up his license plate. Just noticed his initials, and with the name "Vern" it wasn't hard to find tax assessor records. I never would have looked him up if she hadn't asked what he did for a living. Was just trying to help her with an answer. But, I get what you're saying.

Last edited by LiveFree; 05-31-2018 at 07:15 PM.
  #6  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51,251
Yes. Yes, you are.
  #7  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Penfeather's Avatar
Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Lady friend asked what the real tall guy "Vern" did for a living. Said, I wasn't positive who he was. But saw him drive into the parking lot. License plate was VL-***. Not hard to look for local tax assessor records for "Vern L". Found him, found his Linkedin page. She asked me, I found out and told her. That's it.
How happy would you be to learn somebody did this with your information on an idle whim?
  #8  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,329

I'm not a stalker


I think the first couple Facebook checks were ok. Tax assessors records went way too far. Checking up over again on different people comes off a bit creepy.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 05-31-2018 at 09:07 PM.
  #9  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,232
If you have to ask...


(Yes, stalker)
  #10  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 PM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,322
Big time!
  #11  
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 PM
Oredigger77 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Back at 5,280
Posts: 4,909
I don't think your a stalker in the obsessive about a single person sense but ya you sure give out a creepy stalker vibe. Seriously you did a license plate look up and a LinkedIn search for some random dude at your gym. That is way outside the bounds of normal. Noticing a person's info on a computer is normal and happens making a point to learn more about them beyond asking them is weird.
  #12  
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,023
I once got called a stalker because a woman I know posted stories on her facebook feed and then I brought them up to her.

She'd post about how she burned her hand cooking on facebook, then the next day she'd say 'guess what happened last night when I was cooking' and I'd say 'you burned your hand'. She'd give me this uncomfortable look. That was fun. Don't post stuff on public forums next time.

As to OP, the first two issues on facebook weren't bad but the last two went over a line a bit. Awkward people can cross boundaries that some people find discomforting.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #13  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,677
Yep, stalker. The girl probably thinks you've looked up her particulars now, and you probably have. Not good.
  #14  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 PM
DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,995
I wouldn't call it stalker exactly, but it's hard to find the right word, and like some others I'd say the last couple of things are over the line. Also, the fact that the information gathering seems to be a frequent habit and not a one-time thing.

For me, stalker = no, suspicious/weird/disturbing = yes.
  #15  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:13 PM
DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,995
I missed the edit window, but I want to say I don't think you did anything literally wrong, just did things to cause a reasonable person questions and discomfort.
  #16  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:26 PM
UDS is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,780
People post stuff on Facebook and Linkedin because they want it to be publicly accessible; that's the whole point of such sites. Accessing it isn't weird, unless you are accessing it for a weird purpose.

Cross-matching a partial name gleaned from a vanity plate with tax assessor records, however . . .
  #17  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 PM
Essured is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,206
Not a stalker in the serious, scary, threatening sense.
You're not in restraining order territory

Yes a stalker in the colloquial weirdo, awkward, not socially normal sense.
"I'll tell you tomorrow" - odd. What's wrong with "I don't know"?
Deducing possible names from licence plates and searching tax records??? Very odd
  #18  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 14,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essured View Post
Not a stalker in the serious, scary, threatening sense.
You're not in restraining order territory

Yes a stalker in the colloquial weirdo, awkward, not socially normal sense.
"I'll tell you tomorrow" - odd. What's wrong with "I don't know"?
Deducing possible names from licence plates and searching tax records??? Very odd
Totally agreed. The fact that you *can* look such things up (and do a bit of connect-the-dots) doesn't mean that it's welcome. As it is, people overshare regularly on social media, and they negatively react to people seeming to "know too much" about them, just based on what they put on Facebook (see Wesley Clark's post).

I, too, advise you to tone it down...or, if you feel that you have to satisfy your own curiosity, keep it to yourself.
  #19  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:20 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,351
Joining in with the crowd. The Facebook stuff is fine. You knew their names, and you looked them up, and saw what they wanted to tell the world. More importantly, you didn't do anything with the information. The license plate stuff, on the other hand? Yeah, that's creepy. Maybe you looked it up for curiosity, but don't ever tell anyone about stuff like that.

That said, if she's calling you a stalker but still willingly talking to you and asking you questions about people, I'd assume it was more an affectionate nickname. She doesn't get to tell you that you're wrong while clearly asking you for info about these people. She'd be just as much a stalker.

Last edited by BigT; 06-01-2018 at 12:20 AM.
  #20  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 AM
DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,995
LiveFree: I think the reason people generally dislike and disapprove is that they can't think of good/innocent reasons why you would want to know the kind of information you looked for. I know that curiosity is a reason, but I then think "Yes, but why are you curious? What's in it for you?" AND... The point here is not that you give a list of legitimate innocent reasons for wanting to know - the point is for you to understand that in general people don't like this and will want you to stop. The one person who said "stalker" is speaking for the majority, not an isolated hater.
  #21  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 AM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 14,330
Stalking is now a criminal offense in every state in the USA. Therefore, to state or even imply that a person is a stalker is equivalent to calling the person a murderer, thief, or any other form of criminal. The person so characterized, who has not been convicted through due process, would have legal recourse to recover damages for defamation of character.
  #22  
Old 06-01-2018, 03:27 AM
LiveFree is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 182
OP here. Thanks for the replies, as much as it's not easy reading them. Like I mentioned, I mean no harm by any of it. I don't have many friends and REALLY wish I did. It's hard for me to talk to people. Maybe that's why the curiosity comes in, and looking people up.

Getting the feeling that my lady friend, who I've gotten close with, no longer wants the close friendship.

I caused it, and that is killing me, to the point of depression. I blew it. Guess I deserve it.

Last edited by LiveFree; 06-01-2018 at 03:28 AM.
  #23  
Old 06-01-2018, 03:34 AM
DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stalking is now a criminal offense in every state in the USA. Therefore, to state or even imply that a person is a stalker is equivalent to calling the person a murderer, thief, or any other form of criminal. The person so characterized, who has not been convicted through due process, would have legal recourse to recover damages for defamation of character.
I understand what you're saying, and at the same time there's a slang/informal use of the word that doesn't at all refer to criminal or criminal-like activity.
  #24  
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 AM
DavidwithanR is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
OP here. Thanks for the replies, as much as it's not easy reading them. Like I mentioned, I mean no harm by any of it. I don't have many friends and REALLY wish I did. It's hard for me to talk to people. Maybe that's why the curiosity comes in, and looking people up.

Getting the feeling that my lady friend, who I've gotten close with, no longer wants the close friendship.

I caused it, and that is killing me, to the point of depression. I blew it. Guess I deserve it.
I disagree strongly with you on this. I get it, and I understand that you have actually done nothing malicious or creepy. I don't think, from what you described, that she has angrily turned against you or anything like that. You don't deserve bad treatment or being shunned. You deserve "note to self, don't do that thing" - and that's ALL the bad you deserve. Cut yourself some slack here. I believe you have a good chance to repair the situation. At least it's worth trying IMO.
  #25  
Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,989
Wait till they throw away that bottle of water, slide a pen in the neck and retrieve it for prints and DNA.
  #26  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 AM
Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
OP here. Thanks for the replies, as much as it's not easy reading them. Like I mentioned, I mean no harm by any of it. I don't have many friends and REALLY wish I did. It's hard for me to talk to people. Maybe that's why the curiosity comes in, and looking people up.

Getting the feeling that my lady friend, who I've gotten close with, no longer wants the close friendship.

I caused it, and that is killing me, to the point of depression. I blew it. Guess I deserve it.
Try not to beat yourself up about it. OK, the court of public opinion has ruled that you made a bit of a social faux pas. In trying to be friendly and helpful towards this lady, you have unwittingly scared her slightly, by doing something innocent that didn't seem weird to you, but does to others. So, now you simply do 2 things:

1. Realise that there is a better way of handling such social interactions in future (as someone said, "I don't know" is a better answer than "I'll find out for you").
2. Say to your female friend, casually, next time you see her, something like: "Hey. Sorry if I scared you by looking up some people you asked about. I thought I was being helpful by finding out the answer to your question. It's not a hobby of mine - I just like puzzles.". Do NOT attempt to follow up with anything like "I haven't looked up your info/got a file on you/found out where you live, or anything!". Even if meant as a joke, it won't be taken as one. Then just carry on acting normally, she may then be happy to be friends again. If not, bad luck - lesson learned. Don't sweat it.
  #27  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,253
I don't think the OP had bad intentions, it just weird. People shouldn't know this sort of minutia about people they have never met.
  #28  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,989
IME there is a real divide between the sexes when it comes to investigation via Facebook.

Bunch of guys sitting around when a weird/strange/beautiful/giant/whatever person is mentioned. Guys sit there wondering "what's up with that?"

Bunch of women sitting around in the same situation and in milliseconds everyone has their phones out looking at the person's Facebook profile and discussing the details.

YMMV, but I have noticed this among my cadre of ne'er-do-wells.
  #29  
Old 06-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,391
People still pretend that the details of their lives isn't publicly available to anyone who wants to look. You broke that illusion.

You need to apologize to your lady friend. Hint: sending her a piece of your ear is NOT APPROPRIATE.

Regards,
Shodan
  #30  
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM
tnetennba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,339
Stalker has a specific legal meaning than implies harassment, threats, or some other kind of aggressive (if passively aggressive) behavior. People throw it around rather casually like they do lots of things but none of what you did constitute harassment or threatening or even (to me) especially creepy, even if inexplicably nosy. The license plate thing seems going further than most people would though.

FB searching is pretty normal, though usually there's a better reason for searching for someone to see if you have mutual connections.
  #31  
Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 AM
glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
OP here. Thanks for the replies, as much as it's not easy reading them. Like I mentioned, I mean no harm by any of it. I don't have many friends and REALLY wish I did. It's hard for me to talk to people. Maybe that's why the curiosity comes in, and looking people up.

Getting the feeling that my lady friend, who I've gotten close with, no longer wants the close friendship.

I caused it, and that is killing me, to the point of depression. I blew it. Guess I deserve it.
I'm sorry you are so upset about this.

Although I only know you from a handful of Internet posts (i.e. not at all) a couple of phrases you've used struck a chord with me.
I've got Asperger's Syndrome (only diagnosed when I was 54.)
Growing up I had few friends, found it very hard to talk to people (especially in a romantic context) and found using computers both easy and comforting.

You may like to investigate the possibility that you have something of the sort. (It really helped once I knew how my brain worked.)

P.S. Despite the condition, I'm both successful and happy.
  #32  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stalking is now a criminal offense in every state in the USA. Therefore, to state or even imply that a person is a stalker is equivalent to calling the person a murderer, thief, or any other form of criminal. The person so characterized, who has not been convicted through due process, would have legal recourse to recover damages for defamation of character.
You're killing me here.
  #33  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 AM
cmyk's Avatar
cmyk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Mitt
Posts: 14,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
You're killing me here.
He’s a murderer!
  #34  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 12,897
Public searching can be used for your own advantages. But bragging about your skills does make you sound a bit creepy.

When I was searching for a new house to purchase, I would do a search on the owners of the houses we were interested in to find out anything that might help me as to why they were selling their house. I.e. did they already purchase a second home, were they going through a divorce, what they did for a living, etc. etc.
  #35  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,444
I figure anything posted on FB is fair game. As others have said, looking up a license plate is odd. I would be very uncomfortable if I found out someone without a compelling reason (cop, et al) got this info.

This isn't the end of the world, you just overstepped a boundary trying to impress your female friend. A few things that may give insight into why the plate thing may have alarmed her:

I think us women may be particularly sensitive to this because of the info connected to plates - for example, someone you cut off in traffic or thought you were cute sitting at a stoplight now has your address, can see if there's a co-registrant (lack of one could mean not married or living alone), and so on. Your friend, knowing you found this info about a stranger, may suspect you've been digging around in her records as well.

I'm not at all into the "all women are victims" narrative and fearless about nigh evetything, but from an early age women learn to be alert to possible threats to personal safety. For example, I've never experienced violence from a man, but if I'm walking alone at night in a parking lot I have my keys palmed and the biggest one out between my knuckles. If I got concerned a guy was being stalkerish I'd be hyper-vigilant and much more concerned about being alone anywhere, particularly at night (and I'd be royally pissed off it was limiting my freedom).

Last edited by Jennshark; 06-01-2018 at 11:15 AM.
  #36  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Kimstu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
OP here. Thanks for the replies, as much as it's not easy reading them. Like I mentioned, I mean no harm by any of it. I don't have many friends and REALLY wish I did. It's hard for me to talk to people. Maybe that's why the curiosity comes in, and looking people up.
Try channeling your curiosity and research itch into looking up/figuring out answers to impersonal questions, such as many of the ones posted here on the SDMB.

Yes, it sounds like you might be trying to substitute solitary detective work for personal interactions as a way of getting to know people. As you've found, it doesn't work very well. And it sounds like your lady friend may have overreacted to your well-meant efforts, but cut her some slack, there are a lot of REALLY creepy people out there whom your behavior might be reminding her of.

And no, there's nothing wrong with looking up publicly-available information on people in cases of bereavement, etc., just so you'll know what sort of potential pitfalls to avoid. You don't want to be starting a casual discussion about suicide rates with somebody who just lost a family member to suicide, for example.

But you should be keeping all such information strictly to yourself. Asking a casual acquaintance how their brother is doing, for instance, when they never mentioned to you that they had a brother and you only know it from looking them up on Facebook, would come across as invasive and over-familiar, even though the information is technically public knowledge.

Likewise, casual social inquiries about a third party are not a mission directive to obtain the requested information by any means in your power. If something that you don't know about somebody else is none of your business, just admit you don't know it because you don't know that person very well, and leave it at that.

The fact that you can find out a lot of personal information about strangers doesn't mean that you should, and especially not if you plan to share the information with anybody else.

Last edited by Kimstu; 06-01-2018 at 11:18 AM.
  #37  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM
LiveFree is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 182
Just to clarify., I did NOT look up his license plate. I only realized what his initials were. I don't have access to DMV records..


And I really do appreciate most of your replies. It has opened my eyes about it and made me think twice.
  #38  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM
guizot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: An East Hollywood dingbat
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That said, if she's calling you a stalker but still willingly talking to you and asking you questions about people, I'd assume it was more an affectionate nickname. She doesn't get to tell you that you're wrong while clearly asking you for info about these people. She'd be just as much a stalker.
Yes.

"Lady Friend" is asking you about the occupations of random people walking into the gym? You might be a stalker, but she's a busy-body. Same thing, really. Tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it.
  #39  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:12 PM
guizot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: An East Hollywood dingbat
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
. . . for example, someone you cut off in traffic or thought you were cute sitting at a stoplight now has your address, can see if there's a co-registrant (lack of one could mean not married or living alone), and so on. . .
Really? As far as I know--at least here in California--you can't get that information from a license plate, unless you're a law enforcement officer.
  #40  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
Tell me if you think these are stalking. A lady friend is upset at me and thinks I'm a stalker. The below is over the course of about 6 months.

An employee at the gym (John)....his father lost his job of about 35 years at one place. This lady wanted to do something nice for John and his family by getting them some gifts/gift certificates last Christmas. Before donating to it, I looked John up on Facebook to see about his family and what the father did for work at the company through the news story. I did NOTHING with the info and never looked any further.


Another employee at the gym recently lost her 50 yr. old brother. Wasn't sure how he died. So, I looked him up on Facebook to see what kind of guy he was. I did NOTHING with that afterwards.

I asked the lady friend about a older guy at the gym and if he was retired. She wasn't sure. She asked what his last name was, I said "Smith". I only know that because I could see the computer from the spin bike when he checked in. She asked his age, I said, "I'll tell you tomorrow". Tried to look it up, but his name is too common.

Lady friend asked what the real tall guy "Vern" did for a living. Said, I wasn't positive who he was. But saw him drive into the parking lot. License plate was VL-***. Not hard to look for local tax assessor records for "Vern L". Found him, found his Linkedin page. She asked me, I found out and told her. That's it. I think she set me up on this one.

I mentioned the lady friends age to her once, she didn't say anything, but apparently I was wrong.


She now calls me a stalker just because I looked these people up online. And it seems that our close friendship is not so close anymore. There is no stalking. This bothers me. I try to be a kind person and empathetic when needed. I don't follow people or bother anyone.

Your thoughts. Don't you occasionally look someone up online?
I'm really bad at catching social clues, but it seems she's just making casual talk along the lines of "Did you see that TV show last night?". If I say no, then the next time I see her I give her a complete cast history, I can see how it would be seen as "creepy". If I say "No, I'll be sure to watch the next episode" or "No, what's it's about?", it's an opening to further conversation if it's more than a casual remark or end with "Yeah, hope you enjoy it" or "Well, it was really funny, you should watch it".
  #41  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Really? As far as I know--at least here in California--you can't get that information from a license plate, unless you're a law enforcement officer.
Pretty sure there are ways, l'll ask my friend's husband, a PI, how a regular citizen gets plate info.
  #42  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Yes.

"Lady Friend" is asking you about the occupations of random people walking into the gym? You might be a stalker, but she's a busy-body. Same thing, really. Tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it.
Would make a good TV show about amateur detectives: "Stalker & Busybody."
  #43  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Really? As far as I know--at least here in California--you can't get that information from a license plate, unless you're a law enforcement officer.
This found my car details and $19.95 will give my name and other details. I don't know if you also get the address, but finding address info is a cinch online. It appears that the VIN check gives title details, which would include registration address.
https://www.searchquarry.com

Last edited by Jennshark; 06-01-2018 at 01:35 PM.
  #44  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:44 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,018
Didn't read the whole thread.

I look people up ALL the time. Including on the appraisal district web site. This is PUBLIC information. Because of the internet, it's easier to access than when you had to get in the car and go to the courthouse. I've never gone past this into the services where you pay for info that is not public. I

The OP is definitely not a stalker.
  #45  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,048
No, not a "stalker" since you are not looking up info about the same person.

A "busybody " or someone who prys into others lives might be better terms.

But, no, not a stalker in any way shape or form.
  #46  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:48 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I once got called a stalker because a woman I know posted stories on her facebook feed and then I brought them up to her.

She'd post about how she burned her hand cooking on facebook, then the next day she'd say 'guess what happened last night when I was cooking' and I'd say 'you burned your hand'. She'd give me this uncomfortable look... Awkward people can cross boundaries that some people find discomforting.
Even if not exactly stalking, it is being oblivious to other people's feelings.

"Guess what happened to me!" means someone wants to engage in conversation, and they're looking forward to telling you. And maybe even surprising you -- they clearly want a reaction from you.

And you let them down by short-circuiting the conversation. And creeping them out as a bonus.

Example:
I had a college student who was a genius. But not at interpersonal communication. When he met my wife, he immediately rattled off her address and license number.

After we extricated ourselves (as quickly as possible), I explained to her that he'd seen the tag on her van when she'd picked me up once, and he'd worked for FedEx so had seen our address. And the way his brain works, he would remember it for life.

Sensitive people won't pry, and if they do see info about you, they'll keep it to themselves.
  #47  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 100 miles N. of Chicago
Posts: 1,540
"Monitoring" is a word that can sometimes be helpful. In many cases a person may not encounter offline situations equivalent to this, so it can take some getting used to. If you look at a profile of someone you don't know, that can be an example of monitoring rather than a word with an unseemly connotation. It may not be such a good idea if you can't maintain propriety.
  #48  
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,018
Musing... sometimes people forget that the stuff you put on the internet, or the stuff that winds up there (like your address or the tax value of your house or your date of birth) is PUBLIC. Anyone can find it easily with a simple search. When you're on your computer (or phone, I guess) at home alone, you have the illusion that you're, well, at home alone. But if you're online, you're not alone.

I've read that some parents feel funny reading their kids' Facebook pages (or My Space, back in the day) because it feels like spying or eavesdropping. But if those pages are public and the user hasn't set any of the privacy controls, then anyone can read them, including past, current and future employers, inmates in prison, homeless people using the public computers at the library, and ALL of your relatives. The kid doing the posting may or may not be acutely aware of this either--until a piece of shit hits the fan.
  #49  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 AM
pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 47,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, not a "stalker" since you are not looking up info about the same person.

A "busybody " or someone who prys into others lives might be better terms.

But, no, not a stalker in any way shape or form.
Yeah, “nosy sunovabitch” is more like it. “Stalker,” to me, implies repeated tracking and information gathering behavior on a particular person or persons, not just one-off info finding to satisfy one’s curiosity. The OP’s behavior is something I’d keep under wraps, though, for the most part. Even though it’s public info, if somebody I barely knew came up to me and told me they found out where I live, how much I paid for my house, who my neighbors are, I’d think it creepy as shit. Just because it’s public info doesn’t mean it won’t upset people who think you have no business looking that info up. So be quiet about it.
  #50  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, “nosy sunovabitch” is more like it. “Stalker,” to me, implies repeated tracking and information gathering behavior on a particular person or persons, not just one-off info finding to satisfy one’s curiosity. The OP’s behavior is something I’d keep under wraps, though, for the most part. Even though it’s public info, if somebody I barely knew came up to me and told me they found out where I live, how much I paid for my house, who my neighbors are, I’d think it creepy as shit. Just because it’s public info doesn’t mean it won’t upset people who think you have no business looking that info up. So be quiet about it.
Yes. This. I'm definitely a nosy sunovabitch.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017