Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 AM

The Celtics go to Denver tonight, should be a really good game. DEN -2 at the moment, but I don't know. Scoring PGs like Kyrie have typically been the Nuggets' kryptonite, but they've been better defensively so far this year.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Wow, great win for the Nuggets over the Celtics last night. But not without some drama. Jamal Murray had 48 points in the game, and with 1.5 seconds left, he could have dribbled out for the 8 point victory. Instead, he decided to heave up a loooong 3 point shot as time expired to try to get over 50 points. Kyrie didn't like that move at all, refused to shake hands, tossed the ball into the crowd. Will be interesting to see what Adam Silver does about that.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:16 PM

My Pacers are doing pretty good so far. 7-4, good enough for third in the Eastern Conference, including an exciting win at home against the Celtics. We play the 76ers tomorrow on ESPN.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Raptors' Serge Ibaka was 8 for 8 from the field yesterday against Utah. The day before that he was 15 for 17 against LA. I doubt anyone in team history has ever gone 23 for 25 before.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I was braced for the Bucks to blow out the Blazers last night, but McCollum went for 40 points and the Blazers' defense pretty much shut down the Bucks.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Raptors' Serge Ibaka was 8 for 8 from the field yesterday against Utah. The day before that he was 15 for 17 against LA. I doubt anyone in team history has ever gone 23 for 25 before.
And Ibaka, of all players. Almost like night and day, comparing his level of play from this season to last.

For the first time ever the Raptors pull off a 4-game sweep on the West Coast. Beating a "Lebronto" team sure doesn't hurt. (Granted, the Lakers aren't exactly GSW.) Two of those games Kahwi "fuck this one year shit" Leonard was sidelined - a healthy sign that T.O. isn't life-and-death reliant on him for W's.

Heh - more growing-pains-on-a-new-team for Lebron: It was mentioned on TimandSid how lousy LJ's plus/minus is, (compared to the Lakers plus/minus without LJ in the lineup, which is apparently way better), but damned if I can't find anywhere on the internet those exact numbers.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

The Blazers, to my surprise, beat the Celtics last night, despite some 20 turnovers and a determined late surge by Boston in the second half of the game. Al Faruq Aminu saved the day with a bomb from way outside his normal range, and some great defense by others. Nurkic dominated the boards with 17 rebounds; Aminu and Collins combined to add another 17. I'm cautiously hoping that Portland will actually have a season worth watching.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 AM

The Nuggets dropped a real tight one at home to Milwaukee. I think both these teams might be legit, although Denver has lost 3 in a row now. They should correct that tomorrow night against Houston.
Speaking of the Rockets, sounds like Carmelo Anthony has worn out his welcome. I heard on ESPN radio this morning that Houston is 4th best in the NBA at taking "good" shots, but they are last or near last in shooting. With Harden, Paul, 'Melo, Eric Gordon, it's amazing that those guys can be missing so many open shots.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Warriors selling monthly ticket passess to games where you cannot actually see the game except on TV in the arena bars, you cannot see the court with these passes

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-no-view-court
Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I dunno what happened to Kyle Lowry last night but, oh well, can't win 'em all.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 AM

Hey, the Cavs picked up their 2nd win! And the Nuggets appear to be crashing back down to earth, having lost a 4th straight game.

How about that Jimmy Butler trade, by the way? The Sixers got a hell of a lot better and T-Wolves really blew it in terms of a return. Robert Covington and Dario Saric are decent pieces, but Butler is a franchise talent.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Hey, the Cavs picked up their 2nd win! And the Nuggets appear to be crashing back down to earth, having lost a 4th straight game.

How about that Jimmy Butler trade, by the way? The Sixers got a hell of a lot better and T-Wolves really blew it in terms of a return. Robert Covington and Dario Saric are decent pieces, but Butler is a franchise talent.
A franchise talent that doesn't want to be there or take the responsibility of a franchise talent is sometimes worse than nothing. Publicly tearing down your teammates and demanding a trade are not the building blocks of a strong team.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Yeah, but supposedly the T-Wolves passed up much better offers, or at least one better offer from Miami. And finally they got stuck with this deal.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

The Lakers seem to have found their mojo and made hash out of the Blazers last night. McGee is an animal, and James was hitting threes from everywhere, bypassing Wilt Chamberlain to become the 5th highest scorer in NBA history. The Blazers should just have tossed in the towel in the 3rd quarter.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:03 PM

Five years ago if you'd said JaVale McGee would be an important part of a good team, my eyes would have rolled to the back of my head. But he has really matured since his days in Denver, when was basically the NBA's biggest clown.

And don't overlook the Lakers picking up Tyson Chandler. That's huge to have one of the great pick and roll vets be able to spell McGee for 15-20 minutes a night and not miss a beat. It means LeBron never has to be the enforcer under the basket, he can just run the floor like he's meant to.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Five years ago if you'd said JaVale McGee would be an important part of a good team, my eyes would have rolled to the back of my head. But he has really matured since his days in Denver, when was basically the NBA's biggest clown.

And don't overlook the Lakers picking up Tyson Chandler. That's huge to have one of the great pick and roll vets be able to spell McGee for 15-20 minutes a night and not miss a beat. It means LeBron never has to be the enforcer under the basket, he can just run the floor like he's meant to.
McGee has replaced Babe Ruth as the Sultan of Swat.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but supposedly the T-Wolves passed up much better offers, or at least one better offer from Miami. And finally they got stuck with this deal.
The deal isn't that bad, considering that Butler is a free agent at the end of the year, and was clearly not resigning in Minnesota. Covington is on a very reasonable contract through '21-'22, and Saric is on his rookie deal, so Minny will have his restricted free agency rights. That's two very nice pieces at good prices for the long term. I think it compares reasonably with Cleveland's return for Kyrie Irving, and San Antonio's return for Kawhi Leonard. You're never getting 100 cents on the dollar when the star is out there demanding a trade, so you do what you can.

Supposedly, Thibs had blown up the Miami deal by demanding changes to the trade at the last minute (which allegedly prompted Pat Riley to call Thibs an MF'er). It's notable, at least to me, that the Butler-to-Philly deal was brokered directly by T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor and 76ers managing partner Josh Harris, not Thibs. So, sounds like Thibs was passing on every offer (and trying to convince Butler to play out the season) until the decision was taken out of his hands.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Carmelo Anthony wore out his welcome with Houston in a hurry. I wonder if anybody is going to want him, given his reputation.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM

I think 'Melo gets a bad rap. He's not a locker room cancer, teammates like him. He's played like a million minutes in his career. His skills may have diminished, but he could be a contributor on the right team. And frankly, Houston kind of made him the scapegoat for Chris Paul's struggles so far this year. That whole Rockets team has been poor at shooting, Paul in particular. Portland and New Orleans are reportedly interested. I wouldn't hate it if Denver brought him back, they could maybe use a veteran leader. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to disrupt what they've got going on.

How about this drama with KD in Golden State? Draymond told KD to leave, said they don't need him, they can win without him. Damn.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I really hope he doesn't come to Portland. They've tried the 'aging star' thing in the past and it just didn't work out with this young squad. Anthony is not likely to change his style of play and with Portland finally getting their passing game working well, a ball-stopper is not what they need.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Carmelo Anthony wore out his welcome with Houston in a hurry. I wonder if anybody is going to want him, given his reputation.
Quote:
I think 'Melo gets a bad rap. He's not a locker room cancer, teammates like him. He's played like a million minutes in his career. His skills may have diminished, but he could be a contributor on the right team. And frankly, Houston kind of made him the scapegoat for Chris Paul's struggles so far this year. That whole Rockets team has been poor at shooting, Paul in particular. Portland and New Orleans are reportedly interested. I wouldn't hate it if Denver brought him back, they could maybe use a veteran leader. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to disrupt what they've got going on.
The good: thanks to his buyout, Carmelo's next team, like Houston, is only on the hook for $2.3 million for his services.

The bad: Carmelo has very little to offer a good team. He was once an elite isolation scorer who thrived on being able to create and make midrange shots. He can no longer do this (the fact that he no longer can draw fouls is a big red flag, 2.5 free throws/game last year, 2.2 this year). He's also a below-average 3 point shooter, and a bottom-tier defender. The guy's just not efficient enough offensively to make up for his awful defense, not even close. 12.1 FGA to get 13.4 points just isn't gonna cut it. But, since he's such a bargain, if he wants to keep playing this season, he'll get offers. Who knows, maybe he can turn into an elite 3 point shooter this late in his career, a la Jason Kidd. Otherwise, it's retirement, scrapping for a handful of minutes on bad teams, or off to China. Sad way to end a Hall of Fame career, but Melo was always vaguely disappointing like that.

How about this drama with KD in Golden State? Draymond told KD to leave, said they don't need him, they can win without him. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Woo! C'mon Draymond, run KD out of town!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Action View Post
Woo! C'mon Draymond, run KD out of town!
Given that Draymond has made it clear that he's going for the max after next season, and the Warriors won't have that space unless losing someone else or utterly kneecapping themselves for years to come. They still have to figure out how to play Klay this offseason, and they're basically starting at the luxury cap.

Losing either player could spell the end of the Warriors absolute dominance of the league. How do you quickly replace the defensive quarterbacking of Green or the lolbuckets instant offense of KD? If it comes down to someone leaves, I'm generally on the side of booting whoever's starting it, which seems to be Green. KD had every right to be livid at Green's terrible attempt at hero-ball - it was a ridiculously selfish move that had virtually no chance at succeeding; Green ain't KD, or LBJ, or any of the dozen other players you give that last possession to. Green gave KD the same treatment J.R. Smith gave LeBron last year - stupidity on the hardwood.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Fuck you, Blazers. Just fuck you. Back to turning the ball over 20 times a game is just unforgivable and you deserve to get your asses kicked. Hell, the scrubs you sent in for the last five minutes of this debacle played better than both the starters and second team combined. Two games in a row of inept play.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:00 AM

Nice third-quarter comeback last night by the Bucks against the Bulls — and on a night when neither Giannis nor Brook Lopez was playing his best — instead, the work was done by folks like Kris Middleton and Thon Maker. Fun to see the Lopez Brothers guarding each other. Family-friendly but energized arena and crowd.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 11-17-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

After barely squeaking out a win over the hapless Knicks, the Failblazers went on to fame and glory to have the Bucks blow them out by 42 points. Milwaukee came out of the locker room locked and loaded and Portland never managed a rally. On the plus side, I had recorded the game was was able to mitigate my disgust by fast-forwarding through the entire second and third quarters.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Action View Post
The good: thanks to his buyout, Carmelo's next team, like Houston, is only on the hook for $2.3 million for his services.

The bad: Carmelo has very little to offer a good team. He was once an elite isolation scorer who thrived on being able to create and make midrange shots. He can no longer do this (the fact that he no longer can draw fouls is a big red flag, 2.5 free throws/game last year, 2.2 this year). He's also a below-average 3 point shooter, and a bottom-tier defender. The guy's just not efficient enough offensively to make up for his awful defense, not even close. 12.1 FGA to get 13.4 points just isn't gonna cut it. But, since he's such a bargain, if he wants to keep playing this season, he'll get offers. Who knows, maybe he can turn into an elite 3 point shooter this late in his career, a la Jason Kidd. Otherwise, it's retirement, scrapping for a handful of minutes on bad teams, or off to China. Sad way to end a Hall of Fame career, but Melo was always vaguely disappointing like that.

How about this drama with KD in Golden State? Draymond told KD to leave, said they don't need him, they can win without him. Damn.
Woo! C'mon Draymond, run KD out of town![/QUOTE]

If anything, it's probably time for Draymond Green to shut up and get out of town. They lost to a Cleveland Cavaliers team they should have defeated in 2016, and it's almost inarguable that the series shifted after his selfish and idiotic tantrums, not just in that one game but in the post-season games leading up to it. There's also no question that KD put the Warriors over the top in 2017 and 2018, giving them an extra scorer from both the perimeter and at the hoop and adding some insurance against injuries to their other stars.

Re: Melo, you're pretty much on point. Melo's been an isolation scorer, and in the mid-2000s that was enough to be a hall-of-fame type candidate. But unlike LeBron, Melo never improved any other part of his game. And at this stage of his career, he's not even much of a scoring threat anymore.

Last edited by asahi; 11-23-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

We may have a chance tonight as some of GS's major players are out. Maybe we'll only lose by 20.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
We may have a chance tonight as some of GS's major players are out. Maybe we'll only lose by 20.
I was too optimistic.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 AM

In the baseball HOF thread I noted that I've never seen an athlete's career tank so immediately as Rick Ankiel's. And it happened right on the field. Well, I think Markelle Fultz almost matches Ankiel. Fultz hasn't done anything in the NBA, but he clearly did not have these problems prior to the NBA. Have you seen his free throws? Pump faking, batting the ball from one hand to the other. The team is saying it's a shoulder, but it sure looks mental.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Jays Fan

James Harden scored 54 points last night, and Houston somehow still lost.

That isn't even the highest scoring-in-futility game this season - Kemba Walker had a 60-pointer last week.

One of the weirdest things ever is that the all time playoff scoring record for a single game was set in a loss; Michael Jordan's 63-point performance against Boston in 1986.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
James Harden scored 54 points last night, and Houston somehow still lost.

That isn't even the highest scoring-in-futility game this season - Kemba Walker had a 60-pointer last week.

One of the weirdest things ever is that the all time playoff scoring record for a single game was set in a loss; Michael Jordan's 63-point performance against Boston in 1986.
Not as weird as one may think. More often than not, if one player is having a huge night, the rest of them are in single or low double figures, while the other team will have four or five players in the teens/twenties.

The Blazers are continuing down their usual path of tanking in the 3rd quarter. I had hoped they were done with this sort of play, but it's looking like a repeat of last year's mediocre record at this point. They totally blew the game against the Clippers the other night. Ahead 58-45 at the half, they let the Clippers outscore them in the 3rd, 38-16, and were unable to recover. The bench, who were really looking promising early in the season, are now struggling, although Myers Leonard of all people is finally looking like an NBA player.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:50 AM

One guy taking all the shots is usually not great for winning. Of Michael Jordan's five games with 60+ points, his team lost three of them.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Nice start to the week as the Raps beat the Grizzlies 122-114.

Fred VanVleet in 21 minutes: 18 points on 6-for-6 shooting, plus two rebounds, 3 assists, three steals. Pretty good night off the bench.

But the marquee game is tomorrow against the Warriors. It'll be more marquee if Steph is in the lineup.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Nice start to the week as the Raps beat the Grizzlies 122-114.

Fred VanVleet in 21 minutes: 18 points on 6-for-6 shooting, plus two rebounds, 3 assists, three steals. Pretty good night off the bench.

But the marquee game is tomorrow against the Warriors. It'll be more marquee if Steph is in the lineup.
I thought last night's game was one the most impressive Raptors games of the season - coming back from a 17-point deficit in the third quarter on the road against a contender team (well, fifth in the west - surprised if the Grizzlies don't make the playoffs). (certainly edge out Chef's rascally Blazers) (heh - no?)

Curry had his first full practice today, and the team hopes he can start tomorrow. Hope so, so that the Raptors can really make a statement (on TNT coverage, for once) if TO happens to win tomorrow. Interesting post-game comments from Klay Thompson about tomorrow's game. (scroll down for brief video)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:12 PM

Sure does look like the Spurs' 21-consecutive-playoff-appearance streak is going to come to an end next May.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post

Curry had his first full practice today, and the team hopes he can start tomorrow.
Apparently not going to happen - no Curry( scheduled to return Saturday for Detroit ) and no Green( more loosely scheduled to return maybe by Monday ).
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Sure does look like the Spurs' 21-consecutive-playoff-appearance streak is going to come to an end next May.
Way too early to say IMO. We're only a quarter of the way into the season and they are just 1.0 games back of the 8 seed.

Do I think they will make it? Not sure, but I wouldn't count them out at this point.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 AM

Not only would I not be surprised if the Spurs miss the playoffs, but I could see them finishing with the 2nd worst record in the West (next to Phoenix of course). Minnesota and New Orleans have some nice young pieces and Houston and Utah are probably better than their current record indicates.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Not only would I not be surprised if the Spurs miss the playoffs, but I could see them finishing with the 2nd worst record in the West (next to Phoenix of course). Minnesota and New Orleans have some nice young pieces and Houston and Utah are probably better than their current record indicates.
If Spurs history is anything to go on, if they flunk they might as well flunk big, a'la 1997, get a Tim Duncan, and then make the playoffs for another 21 consecutive years
Old 11-29-2018, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure the Spurs could get to Cavs/Hawks/Suns territory if they tried. Those 3 teams and maybe the Bulls are already competing in the Zion Williamson sweepstakes.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Blazers lit it up in the second half against Orlando. Their defense crackled, and Lillard set a personal and club record with 10 three pointers.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:10 AM

The Raptors pulled off an overtime victory over Golden State! Of course Steph Curry didn't play, but Durant dropped 51 points. I think Kawhi Leonard is on a mission now since Pop said he wasn't a leader.
Kawhi also made news by signing a new shoe contract with...New Balance? Yeah, New Balance. Do they even make basketball shoes?

Nuggets Blazers tonight should be a good one. Portland a slight favorite by 2.5, which makes sense because Denver really struggles with guards who can score.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Wow, what a game in Toronto last night. Defense was on display from both teams, but the Nuggets pulled off an impressive road win.

Also last night the T-Wolves held the Rockets to 91 points, just 9 in the 4th quarter. Chris Paul just can. not. shoot this year. Maybe things are as bas as they seem in Houston?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Portland has now managed to go from a top-rated defensive team to dead last in the NBA in that category, as their win-loss record plummets towards dead even. Last night's game against Dallas looked like someone substituted the Keystone Kops, while the team went out for pizza. Stotts may find himself looking for another job at season's end.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Speaking of Dallas, this Luka Doncic might be for real. And he's 19 years old.

I had mentioned Markelle Fultz a while ago and what appeared to be a mental case of the yips. Well, he has been diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome. This apparently causes shoulder pain and finger numbness, which might be a legit explanation for his shooting problems. Now he's out indefinitely, and the Sixers still seem a bit confused about what is going on with him. His is one of the stranger stories I can remember.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of Dallas, this Luka Doncic might be for real. And he's 19 years old.

I had mentioned Markelle Fultz a while ago and what appeared to be a mental case of the yips. Well, he has been diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome. This apparently causes shoulder pain and finger numbness, which might be a legit explanation for his shooting problems. Now he's out indefinitely, and the Sixers still seem a bit confused about what is going on with him. His is one of the stranger stories I can remember.
Yeah, Doncic terrorized the defense, but he needs to get his temper under control and realize he's not in some Euro league any longer.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

What a game by Jonas last night; 26 points, 8 boards in 17 minutes. That's some high leverage basketball.

Becoming a bench player is the best thing that ever happened to him. This year he's averaging 19 minutes a game, in which he averages 13 points, 7.3 rebounds. For his career - 25 MPG, 12 points, 8 rebounds. He's doing as much in substantially less time. He's a WAY more valuable player.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 AM

I was at a holiday party last night and the Philly/Toronto game was on. Wow, that was fun to watch. Up until the 4th quarter I thought Philly looked like the better team by a decent margin. And then Valenciunas just took over the 4th quarter for the Rapters. He scored 18 in the final quarter. It's fun to watch big men play the game, and Joel Embiid had a bad one for Philly. Ben Simmons wasn't much of a factor, either. Philly suddenly looks like the Jimmy Butler show, which may or may not be good for them.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:03 PM

After coming out of the gates absolutely gangbusters at the beginning of the season, Kyle Lowry is having the worst slump of his career - for the first time since 2013, he didn't register a point last game, and in the last five games he's averaged five points per game and shooting 19% from both beyond and inside the arc.
This should turn around, of course, but still weird. And he's still second in the NBA in assists and leads in charges drawn. Van Vleet views it as Lowry taking a back seat, "deferring a little bit...probably sacrificing for the greater of the team." Meanwhile Leonard doesn't think KL's being aggressive enough.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:12 PM

My Pacers took a third-quarter lead of 25 points against the Wizards and nearly blew it; Washington came back to within 1 before we got our act together.