Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
What's the point of playing baseball in London anyway? The Brits aren't going to suddenly embrace the sport. They barely tolerate cricket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. G. Wodehouse
And then, one morning, like a voice from another world, had come the news that the White Sox and the Giants were to give an exhibition in London at the Chelsea Football Ground. He had counted the days like a child before Christmas.
from a P. G. Wodehouse story about baseball.

And from later in his life, after he'd been living in America:
Quote:
America, however, spoilt Wodehouse to such an extent that in a 1975 BBC interview he was to say, "My game now is baseball. Oh I am crazy about it. I'd much rather watch a baseball game than a cricket match. I think what's wrong with cricket, if you are keen on one team - I was very keen on Surrey… well, I'd go to see Surrey play, say, Lancashire, and I'd find Lancashire has won the toss, and they'd bat all day, whereas with baseball, the other side only bats about 10 minutes at the most."
Old 05-22-2019, 09:22 AM

MLB's European branch office is located in London. Really, there is no European location that makes sense for baseball. It's not popular anywhere over there. Given they already played in Japan and Mexico, I think Korea or possibly Australia would be the next most popular places outside of other Latin American countries. Never been to one, but I understand pro baseball games in Korea are quite the spectacle. Lots of organized fan cheers and so forth.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:55 PM

The Netherlands has a baseball tradition dating back over 100 years. Thanks mainly to their historical connection to Curacao and Aruba (residents are Dutch citizens), they've fielded some pretty good teams. The Netherlands were the last winners of the Baseball World Cup, in 2011, defeating Cuba. Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorious was born in Amsterdam (his father pitched for the Amsterdam Pirates.) Players from Curacao include Jonathan Schoop, Kenley Jensen, Andrelton Simmons and former outfielder Andruw Jones. Xander Bogaerts and former pitcher Sidney Ponson are from Aruba.
If you wanted to grow baseball in Europe, that would be the place to start.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Gleyber Torres has 10 home runs this season...against Baltimore. It's completely bonkers how bad the pitching is for the Orioles. I'm not really enjoying these games, except for when they show the Baltimore announcer Gary Thorne losing his mind.

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/vi...res=1558581840
Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Gleyber Torres has 10 home runs this season...against Baltimore. It's completely bonkers how bad the pitching is for the Orioles. I'm not really enjoying these games, except for when they show the Baltimore announcer Gary Thorne losing his mind.

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/vi...res=1558581840
12 homers on the season and 10 against the O's. Wow.

Yanks set a weird record, 6 straight games against at Camden Yards with 3 or more HRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
With another five homers off Baltimore pitching on Wednesday, the Yankees have now hit at least three home runs in six consecutive games at Oriole Park at Camden Yards -- the longest streak by any team at any park in Major League history, according to STATS
Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 AM

White Sox triple play yesterday:
https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/...750784/video/1
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 PM

Sports analysts/commentators are getting increasingly (and bizarrely) enamored of the idea of "blowing up" teams if they're not going particularly well early in the season.

There were calls for the Red Sox to purge their roster for prospects when they began 11-17, and for the Mets to do the same after getting swept by the Marlins. Neither team is a good bet to win a championship in 2019 if they even make the playoffs, but they've definitely shown signs of life in recent days.

I was amused to find a story on the St. Louis Blues from early January when they were at the bottom of the NHL, eagerly speculating on the haul they could get by trading away their stars - they're now in the Stanley Cup finals.

There are of course teams that won a title by tanking and building for the future i.e. the Astros, but my impression is that long or even short-term success through such a plan is much rarer than pundits would admit.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 05-23-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 PM

actually ive been told baseball is popular in Russia also
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 PM

You see something new at a baseball game every time #2:

Something called J.D.Martin, at age 36...is pitching for the AA Tulsa Drillers. He's apparently trying to master the knuckleball, so his catcher...again at AA, is Josh Thole who used to catch Dickey.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 05-23-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Twins first team to 100 homers this season. Damn hot right now. We’ll see how long this can last.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely crazy game between the Washington Nationals and Miami Marlins that featured back to back homers by Juan Soto and Matt Adams. Both were hit against 100 mph pitches which is supposed to be a record in the pitch tracking era.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:42 PM

So last night Ryan Pressly allowed his first run of the season, in the Astros' 52nd game. He was 2/3 of the way to 60 straight scoreless innings, which would have been quite something.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Padres set a new franchise home run record with 7 in their obliteration of the Blue Jays Saturday, 19 - 4. The wife is very happy.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 PM

At what point do we just have to assume the Twins are legit? The should be a lock to get to the post season.
The line-up can rake top to bottom, fielding is solid, the pitching is decent with room for improvement (looking at you, Pineda).

More importantly, they actually won a game in New York.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Sports analysts/commentators are getting increasingly (and bizarrely) enamored of the idea of "blowing up" teams if they're not going particularly well early in the season.

There were calls for the Red Sox to purge their roster for prospects when they began 11-17, and for the Mets to do the same after getting swept by the Marlins. Neither team is a good bet to win a championship in 2019 if they even make the playoffs, but they've definitely shown signs of life in recent days.

I was amused to find a story on the St. Louis Blues from early January when they were at the bottom of the NHL, eagerly speculating on the haul they could get by trading away their stars - they're now in the Stanley Cup finals.

There are of course teams that won a title by tanking and building for the future i.e. the Astros, but my impression is that long or even short-term success through such a plan is much rarer than pundits would admit.
The Cubs also did this very effectively. But a rebuild is only as good as the people strategizing it, with a good dose of luck, e.g. how good a particular draft class is. And the more teams that do it, the less likely you are to get the #1 or #2 pick that would get you a franchise-altering player.

The Cubs also got lucky in that they were able to victimize a dumber GM to do a lopsided trade for Anthony Rizzo. Trades like that don't come along very often. The whole sequence of events with the Padres just letting Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod walk out the door to Chicago for no compensation (a lip-service PTBNL that never actually changed hands and was only brought up because the Red Sox were in a snit about Theo Epstein) and then fleecing SD for Rizzo three months later still makes me shake my head.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 PM

this article thinks the cubs are going somewhere this season https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...run/ar-AABU6Fv
Old 05-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
this article thinks the cubs are going somewhere this season https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...run/ar-AABU6Fv
Look stats are wonderful and they can predict a lot in aggregate, but ultimately the only stat that actually matters for a team is the final score and as of the loss last night, they are 9-21 in save opportunities. That's...not a good stat and outweighs a lot of the other good ones. If your starters have a 1.5 ERA and the bullpen has a 2.5 ERA (all good numbers) and you average 3.0 runs per game, it's not going to end well.

ETA: The Cubs are on top of the Division right now and there is time to fix things, but they should be running Twins type numbers and are losing games they shouldn't. That's concerning to me this early in the season.

Last edited by Zakalwe; 05-25-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:13 AM

I know the Yanks are feasting on some really bad teams, but this run of success with "The Replacements" is really like nothing I can recall seeing. They now have a .667 winning percentage.
This is while missing their top two offensive players and ace along with a dozen more players.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 AM

Been enjoying the Jays/Padres series. All the rookies. Amazing.

I see the Jays will have a future in the post season one day. So much raw talent.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Whoops! That little bump was losing that series to the Reds in Chickago. Reds slowly creaking back into relevance. Nobody is paying attention to their MLB leading bullpen ERA..
Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 AM

I was in the store and I saw a display of "LA Dodgers blonde ale" in tall cans with the Dodgers logo on it I didn't get to check it out .....is this an MLB beer promotion like just a diff team name on the can in each teams market or maybe a regional beer for each team ? or just the Dodgers ?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I know the Yanks are feasting on some really bad teams, but this run of success with "The Replacements" is really like nothing I can recall seeing. They now have a .667 winning percentage.
This is while missing their top two offensive players and ace along with a dozen more players.
I think some of these replacements are better than they guys we supposedly miss. Urshela is a far superior player to Andujar. Sometimes we fall in love with a rookie year and don't see the weaknesses in the player, Andujar is a case in point. He's a huge liability in the field. I've finally given up on Greg Bird. He is never going to have a healthy year and will never be a reliable player. Luke Voit is a much better player. And I think LeMahieu at second and Torres at short is as good or better than Didi at short and Torres at second.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
I was in the store and I saw a display of "LA Dodgers blonde ale" in tall cans with the Dodgers logo on it I didn't get to check it out .....is this an MLB beer promotion like just a diff team name on the can in each teams market or maybe a regional beer for each team ? or just the Dodgers ?
Just the Dodgers, apparently.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I think some of these replacements are better than they guys we supposedly miss. Urshela is a far superior player to Andujar. Sometimes we fall in love with a rookie year and don't see the weaknesses in the player, Andujar is a case in point. He's a huge liability in the field. I've finally given up on Greg Bird. He is never going to have a healthy year and will never be a reliable player. Luke Voit is a much better player. And I think LeMahieu at second and Torres at short is as good or better than Didi at short and Torres at second.
Wasn’t LeMahieu playing third earlier this season or am I going senile?
Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Wasn’t LeMahieu playing third earlier this season or am I going senile?
I believe he has. He can pretty much play any position.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Bill Buckner has died:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2019...t-baseman-died
Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
It's nice to see an obituary not headlined by his most famous error. Probably almost every other one will.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
...a rebuild is only as good as the people strategizing it
Cleveland Indians fans can now look forward to multiple lean years, given the likelihood that management will take advantage of the team's 10+ game deficit in the A.L. Central and trade remaining talent for prospects.

It seems kind of silly to me to hear calls for "blowing up" the Indians, since they already had detonated their chances in the offseason salary purge.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
It's nice to see an obituary not headlined by his most famous error. Probably almost every other one will.
I’m part of a baseball chat group on Facebook and we were all angry that ESPN chose to prominently mention that. Making an error in a ball game isn’t like being a war criminal or a serial killer, it shouldn’t be mentioned in a death notice of a ball player.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 PM

Reds bordering on relevance...
Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Cleveland Indians fans can now look forward to multiple lean years, given the likelihood that management will take advantage of the team's 10+ game deficit in the A.L. Central and trade remaining talent for prospects.

It seems kind of silly to me to hear calls for "blowing up" the Indians, since they already had detonated their chances in the offseason salary purge.
I'm quite surprised they're this far behind, and would not be the slightest bit surprised if they caught up and made the playoffs. I think they could catch Minnesota. Jose Ramirez isn't going to hit .197 all year.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I’m part of a baseball chat group on Facebook and we were all angry that ESPN chose to prominently mention that. Making an error in a ball game isn’t like being a war criminal or a serial killer, it shouldn’t be mentioned in a death notice of a ball player.
As to this, it's a tough call.

Bill Buckner was a really good player. He played in 22 seasons, won a batting title, and played in the World Series for two different teams. Like it or not, though, the thing he was most famous for was letting a ball roll through his legs to conclude maybe the greatest World Series choke of all time. It is probably not fair that he is remembered for that and not three 100-RBI seasons, or 2715 hits, or making an All-Star team, but he is, and if you ran a story about the man and DIDN'T mention that it would be kind of obvious to most baseball fans that the elephant was standing in the room.

My favourite Bill Buckner fact; in his long career, in which he started 2233 games, Bill Buckner never, not once, struck out three times in the same game. That is a thing that will happen at least ten times today, but it never happened to him.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 AM

As a Dodger fan I have to stop myself from running to the thread everytime Bellinger does something awesome but he had a pretty good night so I figured I'd drop a brief highlight reel. The throw in the 8th was my favorite out of the three. I have hopes the kid can keep this up though his average is almost pedestrian right now.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

Bill Buckner was a really good player. He played in 22 seasons, won a batting title, and played in the World Series for two different teams. Like it or not, though, the thing he was most famous for was letting a ball roll through his legs to conclude maybe the greatest World Series choke of all time. It is probably not fair that he is remembered for that and not three 100-RBI seasons, or 2715 hits, or making an All-Star team, but he is, and if you ran a story about the man and DIDN'T mention that it would be kind of obvious to most baseball fans that the elephant was standing in the room.
I have to agree, we still know about Merkle and that was 110 years ago. They pair are kind of on par with each other.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

The Fresno Grizzlies, AAA team, really screwed up by identifying Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as an enemy of freedom during their Memorial Day tribute video. This isn’t Elections, so I won’t get into politics, but I would have been sickened to see a duly elected member of the House of Representatives named as an enemy of freedom on Memorial Day regardless of their politics. Completely inexcusable.

https://dcist.com/story/19/05/28/nat...my-of-freedom/
Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
True, but it doesn't have to appear in the headline or even the first paragraph of the obit.

Not that this is anything new.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
The Fresno Grizzlies, AAA team, really screwed up by identifying Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as an enemy of freedom during their Memorial Day tribute video. This isn’t Elections, so I won’t get into politics, but I would have been sickened to see a duly elected member of the House of Representatives named as an enemy of freedom on Memorial Day regardless of their politics. Completely inexcusable.
1. It wasn't a screwup, it was deliberate. I do not believe for an instant this could be a mistake.

2. Heeeere comes fascism. I find it impossible to believe anything like this would have happened even just twenty years ago.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-28-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Dustin Pedroia just held a press conference to announce ... that he's going to take a little more time before announcing his retirement. But look for a ceremonial last game this September.

There was speculation when the Sox hired Alex Cora as manager that, as one of his former teammates, he'd be able to tell Pedey when it was time.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Dustin Pedroia just held a press conference to announce ... that he's going to take a little more time before announcing his retirement. But look for a ceremonial last game this September.

There was speculation when the Sox hired Alex Cora as manager that, as one of his former teammates, he'd be able to tell Pedey when it was time.
Yeah, looks like Michael Chavis is for real, so Pedroia's days playing 2B for the Sox are limited. Hope he stays in the organization in some way, kind of like Veritek.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

I think they have to at least mention it, since despite his excellent career it's the main reason he is as famous as he is. What I object to is when people present it as "Buckner's error cost the Red Sox the Series." Not only were others like Schiraldi and Stanley much more responsible for the loss of the game, people forget that the Red Sox wouldn't have won the game (and the Series) even if Buckner had made the play - the Mets had already tied it up. And the Sox could have won it the next night too, but they blew a three run lead (although in a less dramatic fashion).
Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 PM

I've just noticed something very bizarre on the Red Sox organizational chart--they have three assistant GM's, and an assistant to the GM, but no GM. I am assuming that when Mike Hazen left for AZ, they never replaced him. But that is beyond weird. Four assistants to a person doesn't exist? Hazen left almost 3 years ago. The Dodgers also have two assistants to a non-existent GM. I guess teams haven't quite figured out this "president of baseball operations" yet. Maybe they're too cheap to reprint business cards.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:

And the error is why people know/care that he died, elevating him in the imagination above other players in the good-but-not-HOF set - when/if, say, Jose Cruz dies, Astros fans and Puerto Rican baseball fans will care, but most even serious baseball fans will be "oh yeah, him" if they hear the news.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Exactly. Buckner was a fine player but probably not one of the 1000 best players in baseball history; had he not let the Wilson grounder through his legs, his death would not have been one tenth as noticed. Bill Madlock, whom I thought of just because his name is also Bill, was a contemporary and competitor of Buckner's, was vaguely similar, a righthanded contact hitter, and was definitely a better player. He won four batting titles, played brilliantly in a World Series his team won, made three All Star teams and was just a hell of a player, and he even had a great nickname. But when he dies, which God willing won't be soon, his death will go largely unremarked except in Pittsburgh and maybe the north side. As terrific a player as he was he never had a MOMENT, a highlight that every baseball fan remembers. No Vin Scully call.

So, I mean, if you're running a news service, exactly how do you explain running the Buckner story as a national story and not mention the error? It's the very reason you'd put it out front.

Of course, Colibri is right that it is wrong to just flat out say the error cost them the Series; they could still have lost that game. People simplify these things in time, though, because that's just how memory works. People will swear to you that the Denkinger call in the 1985 World Series would have been the last out, but it wasn't - Orta was the leadoff batter, and in fact there was never a second out in that inning, and Orta was put out on a lousy bunt anyway and the Royals could have won that game without the call.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-29-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Lighthearted MLB news: The worst first pitch ever?
https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/...5441559133916/
Old 05-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Boy, Bryce Harper really earning that big contract, batting .232 with nine homers and on pace to set a new MLB record for strikeouts.

The other big free agent, Manny Machado, is better, but not on any sort of MVP pace.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-29-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
I've just noticed something very bizarre on the Red Sox organizational chart--they have three assistant GM's, and an assistant to the GM, but no GM.
Dave Dombrowski is the functioning GM as well as President of Baseball Operations. You're right, it's because they didn't replace Hazen, but he was more a titleholder than an effective executive.