Old 06-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Talking about dual nicknames, the old Pacific Coast Athletic Association had both the Utah St. Aggies and New Mexico St. Aggies.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
If we're on to High School sports now...
There's a town in Illinois called Pekin, so named because of the mistaken notion that it was exactly opposite the globe from Peking, China. For many years, the school's sports teams were known as (and I am not making this up) the "Pekin Chinks."

You might say that the name was both appropriate and highly inappropriate at the same time. They have since rebranded as the Dragons.
When in high school back in the seventies I swam at a large invitational meet at which the “Chinks” also made an appearance. I don’t recall if I found the name offensive, but I certainly found it noteworthy.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
During the 50s, at the height of the Red Scare, they called themselves the Redlegs.
Hello.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
You literally said exactly that. You stated they hadn’t said “a single word”.

Though I guess you’re pedantically correct, because they hadn’t said a single word, but multiple words...
No. I said that no one who COMMENTED ON THE BEARS/CUBS being out of place made that reference. Again READ WHAT I SAID.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
No. I said that no one who COMMENTED ON THE BEARS/CUBS being out of place made that reference. Again READ WHAT I SAID.
What you said just now is much, much clearer than your original statement, which is more ambiguous:

“Ok, I find it funny how many people have posted about the Chicago Bears/Cubs, and not said a single word about the Detroit Lions/Tigers.”

You have pronouns missing in the second half of that sentence. While implied, their absence makes your meaning a bit unclear.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
What you said just now is much, much clearer than your original statement, which is more ambiguous:

“Ok, I find it funny how many people have posted about the Chicago Bears/Cubs, and not said a single word about the Detroit Lions/Tigers.”

You have pronouns missing in the second half of that sentence. While implied, their absence makes your meaning a bit unclear.
Uh, not to beat a dead horse, but the meaning is CLEAR.

1. I found something funny.
2. Many people did something.
3. They
a) posted about the Bears/Cubs
b) not said about Lions/Tigers.

The phrase, "and not said a single word ..." needs a subject. The only subject in town is "people". To interpret the latter phrase as meaning, "and (no one has) said a single word ..." is to invent a subject not previously introduced.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Bears are native to North America. I'd guess there have been bears at some point or another in the Chicago region. It's not like tigers and lions, which are completely foreign species.

Anyway, I don't think that's the point. Animal mascots aren't there for the sole purpose of claiming a local species. It's for the associated characteristics.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Uh, not to beat a dead horse, but the meaning is CLEAR.

1. I found something funny.
2. Many people did something.
3. They
a) posted about the Bears/Cubs
b) not said about Lions/Tigers.

The phrase, "and not said a single word ..." needs a subject. The only subject in town is "people". To interpret the latter phrase as meaning, "and (no one has) said a single word ..." is to invent a subject not previously introduced.
At least two people mistook your meaning. That’s all you need to know. I explained why.

The horse is starting to smell bad now so I’m walking away from it.