Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Tell me about folding electric scooters for adults

So I just started a new job, and my current commute involves a mile to the train downtown (there is a bus, but it's erratic enough that I usually walk), about 25 minutes on the train, and then 3/4 of a mile on foot downtown. (Again, there is a bus, but it's so slow at rush hour that it's probably faster to walk, especially given that I have to walk a couple of blocks to get to the bus.) Total time door to door is a bit over an hour, depending on connections, and close to 2/3 of that is usually on foot.

I have a bike share membership, but availability near my new office is erratic, and it's hard to bike in a skirt. I am wondering if it might make sense to acquire a folding electric scooter that I could take on the train. (I have a gimpy ankle, so I don't walk so fast, plus the cumulative amount gets to me sometimes in terms of pain level.) I have tried bringing my own bike for the initial mile to the train, but find it difficult to carry it down 2 stories' worth of stairs to the bike lockup because my ankle doesn't bend, so I have balance issues with a handrail in one hand and the bike in the other. I thought a scooter might have similar weight, but be less awkward to balance, plus then I could also use it on the other end.

Does anyone here have a scooter that they commute with? Any tips on what features to look for? What do you wish you had known when you bought yours? Am I crazy even to think of it? What will I do in the winter when it's icy? What am I not thinking to ask about?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 AM

I put my thoughts into this recent thread:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=877000
Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 AM

You might also want to look into a folding bicycle. They weigh less than a scooter – about 25 pounds. They’re still a little awkward to carry around but they do fold up very quickly; less then a minute once you get the hang of it – lots of Youtube how-to videos around.

I have a Dahon and see quite a few of the them commuting around trains and buses in New York City. Unless you are traveling on hills you could probably do with a single speed rather that messing with gears.

Because of the small wheels (typically 20 inches) they accelerate very quickly and are quite zippy and maneuverable in traffic.

https://usa.dahon.com/bikes-category/bikes/
Old 06-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
You might also want to look into a folding bicycle. They weigh less than a scooter – about 25 pounds. They’re still a little awkward to carry around but they do fold up very quickly; less then a minute once you get the hang of it – lots of Youtube how-to videos around.

I have a Dahon and see quite a few of the them commuting around trains and buses in New York City. Unless you are traveling on hills you could probably do with a single speed rather that messing with gears.

Because of the small wheels (typically 20 inches) they accelerate very quickly and are quite zippy and maneuverable in traffic.

https://usa.dahon.com/bikes-category/bikes/
I actually did think of that, but it’s awkward to bike in a skirt.