Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Reasons it is sometimes OK to have the toilet paper roll in backwards

I'm a firm believer that the vast majority of the time, the only acceptable way to install a roll of toilet paper is that so it unrolls over the top in front.

However, I do concede there are circumstances where the reverse arrangement is better.

Thus far I've come up with two acceptable reasons.

1) One has cats or other pets in the household which unroll TP hung the traditional way.
2) One has small children which do this also.

I suspect there are other legit reasons but have difficulty coming up with them. Please, dopers, supply some other acceptable reasons.

NB: While "I like it better this way" is not something I'd want to argue against, further explanation of why it's liked better that way would be nice to get.

Also: I see this thread as a tool for greater acceptance and understanding of my fellow primates, not as an opportunity to bash the minority.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 AM

I've read that restaurants and businesses do it (sometimes) so guests don't just spool six feet off at a time. Like kids and cats, I guess.

Last edited by Jophiel; 06-15-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

In our master bath, the toilet paper roll is mounted directly over the AC vent in the floor. Sometimes when the roll gets down to about 1/4 left, just the blowing air is enough to cause the TP to unroll. It does not do this, though, when the TP is hung down the back instead of over the top.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:09 PM

As a side note, my cats will shred an entire roll whilst unrolling it. My puppy will take the end and run as far as she can to unspool it.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
As a side note, my cats will shred an entire roll whilst unrolling it. My puppy will take the end and run as far as she can to unspool it.
I don't suppose you have a video?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
NB: While "I like it better this way" is not something I'd want to argue against, further explanation of why it's liked better that way would be nice to get.
To be fair, while I've vehemently believed all my life that unrolling at the front is the One True Way, i have a very difficult time articulating why that's better. And I can't very well expect the other side to come up with better arguments than I do.

I've seen home bathrooms with two dispensers installed, in different places and different orientations, to ac-commode-ate both members of a couple. It's tough to argue against that.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I don’t pay attention, and toilet paper is installed willy nilly in the house. But I do have small kids, and I guess it is better installed under the bottom for this reason. I think I’ve always had a slight preference for this orientation, but I’ve been shocked and surprised at how many people actually pay attention and at least pretend to care about it.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM

Next you'll be saying its okay to put ketchup on a hot dog.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
To be fair, while I've vehemently believed all my life that unrolling at the front is the One True Way, i have a very difficult time articulating why that's better.
If the toilet roll is fitted the wrong way round, then the paper hanging down may be only half an inch or so from the wall. This means that, when one is reaching for paper, one's fingers - which one may have been using to wipe one's ass - are liable to touch the wall, which isn't hygienic for a start.

When the toilet roll is fitted the right way round, the hanging part is two or three inches away from the wall, which means one's fingers will only come into contact with toilet paper.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I think I’ve always had a slight preference for this orientation, but I’ve been shocked and surprised at how many people actually pay attention and at least pretend to care about it.
You better pay attention if you don't want the government to take away your children!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:02 PM

I like it the "wrong" way.

Due to ergonomic factors of hand dexterity and location of the roll, I've found that I can more easily and gently tear off the desired amount of paper with one hand...my left hand... by bracing the roll with my wrist and pulling the desired amount of gently/carefully at the perforation(s) with my fingers easier with the paper feed being underslung than overslung from the roll.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 PM

In our main bathroom, the toilet paper dispenser is built rather far back into the wall, and since I've had back problems, it's difficult for me to twist around and reach it. So we keep the roll on its side, on the top of the tank.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Oh dear god. Please don't tell me you people actually hang your toilet rolls from the wall. That is so déclassé.

Ours are always ensconced in one of these, as nature intended.

Last edited by RobDog; 06-15-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I reject the premise that there’s a “backwards.”
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings ë/ëm/ës, é/ém/és, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, Ë/Ëm/Ës, É/Ém/És, E/Em/Es.)
Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Oh dear god. Please don't tell me you people actually hang your toilet rolls from the wall. That is so déclassé.

How very nice for you, that you never have to actually use your toilet paper.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:40 PM

In true passive-aggressive manner...

My wife always hung rolls so that the tissue unrolled from underneath. I always did the opposite, having it feed from the top. We mentioned the difference when we first got married. Now, whenever she replaces a roll, she installs it the way I prefer. Whenever I install a roll, I do it the way she likes. In other words, we each install it contrary to our own preferences in order to please the other.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:46 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Saints preserve us!
Old 06-15-2019, 02:47 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I don't suppose you have a video?
They don't do it while you are looking, Thudlow.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM

I like the vertical style, myself. Sidesteps the whole question, and much easier to change the paper.

Can't find a picture of the ones I've got, but here's some examples.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:

That should be used in place of toilet paper.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:59 PM

OK, I install my TP rolls “backwards”. But I have a good reason.

I have a very small bathroom. Space is tight. The TP holder is built into the wall RIGHT next to the toilet. It’s really close. And I tend to buy the large mega rolls so I don’t have to change it daily. If the paper rolls out from over the top, it is actually at risk of unrolling INTO the toilet. It’s just too close for comfort, so I install it the other way.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Another reason for over-the-top as opposed to under-the-bottom:

These days virtually all toilet paper is white (except for the light tan unbleached recycled stuff my employer also sells) but there was a time, long long ago, when patterned toilet paper was a bit of a fad. And the patterned toilet paper was designed to display said pattern when installed over-the-top.

Though really, considering what one does with said paper, I'm not sure it really matters in the end.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Another reason for over-the-top as opposed to under-the-bottom:

These days virtually all toilet paper is white (except for the light tan unbleached recycled stuff my employer also sells) but there was a time, long long ago, when patterned toilet paper was a bit of a fad. And the patterned toilet paper was designed to display said pattern when installed over-the-top.

Though really, considering what one does with said paper, I'm not sure it really matters in the end.
I also remember toilet paper that was in neon colors, back in the 1970s. In addition to some people having embarrassing skin reactions to the dye, said dye also interfered with septic tank bacteria, and that's why it's hard to find, except as a novelty item.

Whether you roll it from the front or back, squashing a roll before putting it on the spindle will usually slow down a curious child or pet. (Usually.)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:

My mom had one of those weird toilet paper dolls. She only used it for a spare roll, not the active roll, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been (handling the doll while wiping??). But I still thought it was creepy as hell to have that doll sitting in the bathroom watching me poop.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Holy sh*t! One of my grandma made those back in the day. She also crocheted covers shaped like turtles for bars of soap (the extra bar that sat out waiting for the currently being used bar to be used up).
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM

The TP holder in my new house is installed in such a way that when trying to twist around and reach it, I inevitably knocked it off the holder and it would immediately roll in a random direction to a spot that I couldn’t reach.

Given that there didn’t seem to be any better place for it, I got one of those freestanding TP trees. For some reason, it is easier to use with the paper coming off the back.

It’s this one if anybody wants to opine on why this might be.

Quote:
Heh. In the end.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:19 PM

I’ve never once thought about which way the paper hangs.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I’ve never once thought about which way the paper hangs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
The unexamined life is not worth living.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

But is the unexamined bog-roll worth wiping?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
However, I do concede there are circumstances where the reverse arrangement is better.
You're a barbarian.

And, in my experience, neither cats nor children are deterred in the slightest by the distance from the toilet paper to the wall.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
You better pay attention if you don't want the government to take away your children!
Nice. "Improper, overhand fashion." So I guess I'm okay, even though my preference may be slight.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:19 AM

I'd argue if you spend a lot of your time contemplating how you wipe your ass, that maybe it's not much of a life in the first place.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
If the toilet roll is fitted the wrong way round, then the paper hanging down may be only half an inch or so from the wall. This means that, when one is reaching for paper, one's fingers - which one may have been using to wipe one's ass - are liable to touch the wall, which isn't hygienic for a start.

When the toilet roll is fitted the right way round, the hanging part is two or three inches away from the wall, which means one's fingers will only come into contact with toilet paper.
Wait...What?
Not my fingers. Nope.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Well the OP asks us to justify our reason for hanging the roll correctly but not justifying his reason for hanging it bassackwards.

The reason one hangs it from underneath is the slight additional friction makes getting the amount of TP one wants much easier and natural. From over the top it can easily overspin, conserving resources and saving the planet, and perhaps some septic systems also. It was not due to us looking after cats ,but cats looking out for us and our best interest. They were were warning us of the consequences of this detrimental practice which throws humans out of harmony with the universe. Only humans who have not evolved to have their charkas resonate with the melody of the spheres hang their TP overhand, and suffer the universal karmic consequences.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Well the OP asks us to justify our reason for hanging the roll correctly but not justifying his reason for hanging it bassackwards.

The reason one hangs it from underneath is the slight additional friction makes getting the amount of TP one wants much easier and natural. From over the top it can easily overspin, conserving resources and saving the planet, and perhaps some septic systems also. It was not due to us looking after cats ,but cats looking out for us and our best interest. They were were warning us of the consequences of this detrimental practice which throws humans out of harmony with the universe. Only humans who have not evolved to have their charkas resonate with the melody of the spheres hang their TP overhand, and suffer the universal karmic consequences.
I can see the potential wisdom in your argument for underneath TP mounting. However, the whole friction thing only makes any sense if you are a one-handed TP puller (e.g. you gently pull the necessary length of TP and then give a sudden and violent jerk to tear at the base of your pull, with one hand). I would hazard most civilized people will use two hands: one to pull the necessary length, and the other to hold the roll at a stop when it's time to detach. No, do not stray from the True Path: TP must be pulled from the top (with exemptions for people with pets/small children). There is no other way.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:52 AM

Just hang your roll from the ceiling. Everyone's happy, and it always looks like a party in the bathroom.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Ages ago one of the TV stations had a feature piece on the five most expensive hotel suites in San Francisco.* One of the managers said that he was giving a group a tour of the suite when two women broke off from the group, hustled over to the bathroom, and came back after only peering through the door. When he asked them what that was all about one replied, "We've been arguing about the proper way to install toilet paper and we figured you would know."

*I forget where it was but the most expensive was $2,500 a night thirty years ago.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
But is the unexamined bog-roll worth wiping?
"Bog-roll". Funny!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:47 PM

It's on the dispenser roll. It could still sitting on the back of the toilet like it has been for the over two weeks since the last roll ran out.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:08 PM

It tears off more easily when hung underneath. Also: Cats unspooling the whole roll.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 PM

You can find the short loose end in the front easier.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 PM

My cats don't care which way it hangs. They will have fun with the paper towel too. You gotta keep your eye on them. My biggest fear is the water faucets. You turn on
the faucets for more than 1/2 second and here they come running. The male Siamese is watching every thing I do. He will figure it out.
He uses the the toilet when he poops. So far he hasn't complained about how the paper is unrolling. I'm trying to teach him to flush, just like a man, never flushes
Old 06-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
So your toilet paper is the equivalent of a drag queen?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Those are supposed to be for the unopened roll.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Those are supposed to be for the unopened roll.
Nonsense. All one needs is a collection of these exquisite ladies in ever decreasing dress sizes as the roll is used, all the way down to Liz Hurley in that dress.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
You can find the short loose end in the front easier.
This is what I was going to say. When I'm up in the middle of the night for a potty break I don't turn on any lights. I also try to keep my eyes partially closed (thinking I won't wake up as much ) So it's much easier to "paw" at the top of the roll to get the end to unwind - somewhat like a cat I guess!
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Here in Taiwan, the toilet paper is just tissue paper and comes in plastic instead of a box. So you take it from the top.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I like the vertical style, myself. Sidesteps the whole question, and much easier to change the paper.

Can't find a picture of the ones I've got, but here's some examples.
Yeah, sure, but do you unroll it clockwise or counterclockwise as seen from above? It is not a trivial matter.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM

Tested in the loo at the university dorm.

Mounting the roll as Under results in 12% less paper usage over time than mounting the roll as Over.

Tested in both male and female dorms. 12 male + 40 female loos, over a period of 3 months.
Fully random roll orientation each day, computer-generated.

Total of more than 5000 rolls sampled.

Hey, I had to do *something* for my Third year Statistics practical.

So anyone advocating for Over.. You are just a shill for the waste-paper industry, and have been brainwashed by their ads advocating Over placement.

Last edited by MarvinKitFox; 06-19-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Next you'll be saying its okay to put ketchup on a hot dog.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (unless you're age 8 or under)