Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 AM

Anyone else dream of flight like i do?

Not like Superman...but in my dreams I jump and sort of hover over the ground a few inches. Like i'm skateboarding on air.

And as said in a Sandman comic, "Its like I remember how to fly like that in dreams, but forget when i wake."
Old 06-15-2019, 11:43 AM

I haven't had a flying dream for years. But as I recall it they used to involve taking a flying leap off a bench and, similar to the quote mentioned, the thought "Of course I can fly, I can't believe I forgot."
Old 06-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

One of my sorts of flight dreams (I have several different kinds) is similar to that: I'm running, and I only need to touch the ground every block or so. And if I try, I can stretch that out to two or three blocks. I think it comes from riding my bike so much.

I also sometimes have dreams where I'm walking on air: Purely horizontal, and only about a foot off the ground. I have to take it slow, though, to keep my balance.

And there have been a few times in waking life when I've been in some crowded place and looking for someone, and I've levitated a couple of feet up to get a better view over the heads of the crowd... or rather, I've attempted to, before remembering that I'm awake, and I can't do that when I'm awake. Levitation, I've found, for some reason works better if I bend my knees up, so my heels are up against my butt, as if I had rocket thrusters in my kneecaps. And I can even get a bit of lateral movement by leaning over to angle the thrusters.

Occasionally I'll get the full-on Superman flight, but that seems to be the rarest. And I've never dreamt of the swimming-in-air some folks talk of, but then, I've never been much of a water-swimmer.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 PM

I fly fairly high up. I haven't really thought about my body position while I'm doing it. I'm leaning towards "Superman", but not all that fast.

I also have dreams about my fish (usually in their fish tank), swimming around in the air.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 PM

In my flying dreams, I use swimming strokes to navigate through the air, gradually getting higher and higher... until I realize that I can't come down, and continue to get higher. The ground falls away and everything get really small.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:41 PM

Sometimes in my flying dreams, sometimes my hands behave like sails, I just hold them up and catch updrafts. Other times it's like swimming, but it takes a huge amount of effort.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:42 PM

These are one of my favorite types of dream. I have done the the high swimming type that panache45 describes, and I have done what I would describe as willing-floating up and down stairwells and over various things lower to the ground or floor. I like shooting real high and watching the tops of trees just disappear. I find if I put my arms in front of me (over my head) and my hands together, I can almost jet up. It's always exhilarating.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Not like Superman...but in my dreams I jump and sort of hover over the ground a few inches. Like i'm skateboarding on air.

And as said in a Sandman comic, "Its like I remember how to fly like that in dreams, but forget when i wake."
Yes! I've never heard anyone else talk about this. And it's effortless - in fact it's kind of a zen "don't try" thing. How fast can you go? I can shoot past cars on the highway. If I could get my luggage to tag along without having to carry it, it's the only way I'd travel.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

As a child, I was a frequent flyer in my dreams, often trying to escape people who were "after me" for some reason. I launched from a spinning merry-go-round.

Fuck you, everyone, I can flyyyyyyyyyyy.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 PM

I'm either doing swimming motions or moving my legs like a long jumper. In fact, I often think that I could easily break the long jump record.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Yes. I love those dreams because they are so much fun. Mine are usually in the context of searching for someone or something.

I fly high; don't think there were ever any hovering dreams. That's pretty cool, though.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

My flying dreams are swimming in the air type, and I tend to stay low, I am afraid of getting caught in electric wires and treetops.

I also have dancing dreams, I used to adore spins, the feel of the motion carries over into my dreams. Since I am stuck on crutches and in a wheelchair, it is simply my desire to dance again coming out, the best I can manage is the hang onto my husband and sway deal. I would love to go swooping around a ballroom in a waltz again *sigh*
Old 06-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm a hoverer. No soaring. No great heights. Not even much speed.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Mind sounds similar to the OP.

I am running remarkably easily with very long strides. The strides eventually get so long that I realize I'm floating for most of a stride. I "go with it" and soon I'm going a nice ways before having to take another step. Finally I just get in the zone and I'm floating along above the ground pretty much as far as I want.

Like all dreams I never realize that this breaks Physics, that I am in a dream nor that I have dreamed it before.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'm running, and I only need to touch the ground every block or so. And if I try, I can stretch that out to two or three blocks.

Yes, I have them like thatónot like flying, but like running somewhere with even lower gravity than the moon. An alternate involves descending many flights of stairs a full flight per step.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I used to often have dreams of flying, in about all the variations named above...

... until I actually started flying airplanes. Then suddenly I stopped dreaming of flying. Maybe because I was doing it in real life?

They have not resumed since I've been grounded.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:52 PM

I always had some kind of prop that enabled me to fly. I remember once it was a pillow. Sis says she had to flap her arms. Both of us were always trying to evade something on the ground - once in my case it was cows. We all know what predators cows are.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 PM

To the best of my recollection I've never had any kind of flying dream. It can be weeks between me even being aware of dreaming, though. I have a much smaller sample size of dreams than most people.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure it's exactly flying, but I used to have dreams where I could float in the air but could only propel myself by pulling on things with my hands or use my hands to walk quickly with long floating steps on the ground. I assume I cold have pushed with my feet, but don't recall ever doing so. My body was always essentially parallel to the ground.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Yes, definitely. Described in this thread
Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Oh my yes. Around the age seven to ten, I was obsessed with being able to fly like superman. I use to take a big safety pin and fix a bath towel abound my neck like a cape and run around the house pretending I was flying. I had many dreams of jumping off the ground and taking flight, some of them seemed quite real. Alas I never have such fun dreams now.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:18 PM

My flying dreams are more like: with the force of will, I will not fall. So flying in these dreams feel like a jump I refuse to let end and can be directed mid jump.

Last edited by CarnalK; 06-15-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm weightless and it's effortless. I just skim along anywhere between a few inches and however high I want to be. No swimming or walking motions, and I'm erect, not prone. It feels marvelous, and sometimes I find myself thinking I could do it awake if I just believed hard enough. Alas for me, reason always gets in the way.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
My flying dreams are more like: with the force of will, I will not fall. So flying in these dreams feel like a jump I refuse to let end and can be directed mid jump.
I agree with this, with the addition that the 'force of will' is a state of mental detachment, and I have to pull my legs up to keep them from dragging on the ground. It also helps to have my arms straight out to the sides like airplane wings.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM

I have a "flying dream" every few weeks. Sometimes I'm just a few feet off the ground, but I do occasionally soar higher, up to a bit above skyscraper level. Also, I can make myself invisible as I fly, if I choose to go into "stealth mode". Fun stuff!
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 AM

I'm very literal. I fly an invisible helicopter. I have to "move" the invisible sticks just like a real heli.

The more fun dreams are the "falling with style", where I am going down a hill and my feet never touch the ground. I just remain 6 inches above the ground all the way down. It's like orbiting - you are falling, but you never hit the ground.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 PM

My "flying dreams" are actually "jumping really high" dreams. They're really two parters. I'll jump really high in the sky, far above the trees, and it's exhilarating. Then I'll start coming back down, and I look at the ground rising up to meet me, and it's like a nightmare. I'm totally horrified. "Why did I jump so high? Now I'm going to die!". Sometimes I'll wake up when I crash land, but other times I'll just roll with it and get back up like I only tripped over a rug and then I'll jump up high again.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 PM

I'm an airplane. My arms are wings. I normally take off from a high place (stairs or cliff or something), but I can gain altitude with effort. I can't rember what kind of effort is required, but I know that in that kind of situation, if I loose confidence I'll lose altitude.

Like much of the rest of my life, my flying is influenced by my reading. I know that the falling thing comes from Douglas Adams. The soaring thing comes partly from a old British story that I can't identify where a man with ?Yorkshire? accent is able to fly. He likes to go out in the afternoon when he gets a chance. I remember him having a discussion with a Ministry official about wind conditions after a aviation accident, to the irriation of his wife, because how would he know anything relevant (we know that he knows because he flies around there sometimes). The story ends with a disastorous public exibition: first he can't fly, they he can fly and everyone is terrified.

I made a decision to stop day-dreaming about flying, after experiencing and becoming slightly misled by hypnagogic hallucinations. I stood at the top of the stairs, realized that I couldn't actually fly down, and decided that the edge of reality had become too blurred for safety.

Last edited by Melbourne; 06-18-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 PM

The only "lucid dream" I ever had, when I realized in my dream that I was dreaming, I took off flying. I tried to control my flight too much and then woke up. I was happy and annoyed at the same time.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
My flying dreams are swimming in the air type, and I tend to stay low, I am afraid of getting caught in electric wires and treetops.

I also have dancing dreams, I used to adore spins, the feel of the motion carries over into my dreams. Since I am stuck on crutches and in a wheelchair, it is simply my desire to dance again coming out, the best I can manage is the hang onto my husband and sway deal. I would love to go swooping around a ballroom in a waltz again *sigh*
I'm a dream dancer too. I spent many years in Ballet class. I was a good leaper in waking life. In my dteams I leapt allover the world. Once I dreamt I leap over the moon. My leaps are so far reaching that I am really flying. Arms up, hair flowing. It's very fun. I tend to crash land, though.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-18-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 PM

My flying is mostly just falling in the direction I want to go. Any altitude and I estimate I can manage about half of terminal velocity.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 AM

Typically, I'm about 30 feet off the ground, and my flying is the result of mental concentration - if I waver, I'll start to drift to the ground. It's often very pleasant, but it's also quite common for the dreams to involve being chased, and I need to keep flying so I can escape.

I have other kinds of flying dreams but it would be a TLDR post if I described them all.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:56 AM

I have them, it always starts off with my hands acting as sails pushing the air like I would push water. It takes a huge amount of effort at first and then it starts becoming easier and I actually start flying with ease and confidence.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 AM

Every now and then I dream of flying off a cliff at Crater Lake, Oregon.